TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Lrscpa

Tuning Adapter on top of Premiere

Since the Premiere is much thinner (top to bottom) than the Series3 HD, I have room in my rack to place the tuning adapter directly on top of the Premiere.

Bad idea (potential heat/vibration issues)??

Roamio Pro (Stock) w/Lifetime <Stewie>
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime <Brian>
TiVo Premiere Elite (Stock) w/Lifetime-Sold
TiVo HD w/1TB WD10000CSRTL w/Lifetime-Sold
No More Tuning Adapters!
MoCA
Lrscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrscpa View Post
Since the Premiere is much thinner (top to bottom) than the Series3 HD, I have room in my rack to place the tuning adapter directly on top of the Premiere.

I don't think it matters. Mine has always been on top of my Premiere. But I do have several inches of air space above the the Premiere.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Carfan

Quote:

My TA (Cisco) has been atop my TiVo since I got it, never a heat related issue. I say go for it!
Old 02-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
yoheidiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carfan View Post
My TA (Cisco) has been atop my TiVo since I got it, never a heat related issue. I say go for it!
X2
yoheidiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:

If you have the vertical room, get some stick on plastic/rubber feet (check your local Big Lots) and get both the Premiere and the other box a little higher in the air for better airflow.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:01 AM   #6
flashesbuck

i have had my receiver setting on top of my premier for over a year now. Doesn't this thing pull all of its air from under neither the unit?
flashesbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
pmiranda

I've had a TA on top of my S3 in a mostly-enclosed cabinet since the beta. Seems to work fine.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
brentil

I've installed cooling ducts into all of my media cabinets to ensure good flow rates but before that my TA sat on top of both my TiVoHD & TiVo Premiere with drive extenders next to them and other junk.

I highly recommend a kit like this, it's absolutely silent to me and provides solid airflow.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...01_i00_details

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
pmiranda

Nice... I rigged up something with a spare computer case fan (with grills to keep cat paws and cables from getting in the works) and a cheap wall wart plugged into the switched AC outlet on my home theater amp.
TiVo already has a fan so I just ducted it to a hole in the back of the cabinet with some extra brake ducting I had lying around. Dryer duct would work, too, but I figured 3" duct would loose less air velocity than the bigger duct.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
I've installed cooling ducts into all of my media cabinets to ensure good flow rates but before that my TA sat on top of both my TiVoHD & TiVo Premiere with drive extenders next to them and other junk.

I highly recommend a kit like this, it's absolutely silent to me and provides solid airflow.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...01_i00_details
One should never install a TiVo, or computer, or other heat-producer in a closed cabinet without forced air ventilation. Otherwise heat will accumulate and have nowhere to go.

But if one is going to do that, it really makes sense to make sure the fan blows air *in* and install some type of air filter on the outside intake of the fan. Else, it will get really dusty in there, surprisingly fast.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #11
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

my TA's been restin aatop the Eite nearly a year now course itdn't hurt to have a small fan located just behind the Tivo to move any trapped air in the area
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #12
brentil

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
One should never install a TiVo, or computer, or other heat-producer in a closed cabinet without forced air ventilation. Otherwise heat will accumulate and have nowhere to go.

But if one is going to do that, it really makes sense to make sure the fan blows air *in* and install some type of air filter on the outside intake of the fan. Else, it will get really dusty in there, surprisingly fast.
What I do with mine is the typical outward blowing direction of the fan to vent heat out of the boxed area and then I make extra inlets someplace opposite the fan location and then cover them with filter material. Otherwise blowing air into a hot area just kind of makes it a convection oven, even with out vents it is still not as efficient as forcing the hot rising air out.

brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
What I do with mine is the typical outward blowing direction of the fan to vent heat out of the boxed area and then I make extra inlets someplace opposite the fan location and then cover them with filter material. Otherwise blowing air into a hot area just kind of makes it a convection oven, even with out vents it is still not as efficient as forcing the hot rising air out.
But sucking out out of a pseudo-enclosed space guarantees that dust-laden air will be sucked in through every hole, crack, slit, and crevice, even if you have a filtered, passive, air inlet. And it gets worse and worse as the filter gets clogged.

I prefer to blow filtered air in, which always causes a positive pressure, insuring all the dust will stay out. Then have some plain holes on the opposite side where most of the air can escape.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
unitron

If the S4s are the same as the previous 3 platforms, there are holes on the bottom where air enters to replace the air that is being exhausted out the back by the fan, therefore sucking air out from under it with another fan might tend to starve it of cooling air and make the internal fan work harder.

Best thing is as much empty space under it as possible with cooler air being blown into that space.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
flashesbuck

how about a laptop cooler under the thing blowing up at it. was thinking about getting one at 5below the next time im there.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashesbuck View Post
how about a laptop cooler under the thing blowing up at it. was thinking about getting one at 5below the next time im there.
If you can find a laptop cooler designed and intended to run 24/7/52, year after year, then perhaps so, but it don't think those are available.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #17
Brad Bishop

I'd first ask: Is this really an issue?

With the early TiVos I remember people replacing fans and raising them a bit to keep them cool. My Elite looks like it's high enough up on it's regular feet to keep it cool. It'll blow air out the back.

Yes, I think you need to be concerned if you keep all of your entertainment electronics in a cabinet but outside of that, I really don't think you need to do wonky things to it any longer.

Once a year it's probably worth it to crack it open and clean the dust out.
Brad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #18
PedjaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you can find a laptop cooler designed and intended to run 24/7/52, year after year, then perhaps so, but it don't think those are available.
I tried one of those a long time ago and it did not last too long.
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #19
flashesbuck

Well when I can get them at 5 bucks, there quit and I I can normally get them to last a year at least! I'm going to shove one under my TiVo. And yes my TiVo never runs hot but I do set my receiver right over it so it will make me feel better having one under there.