TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

CableCARDs--oh, what a difference five years makes!

I bought a Series3 back when they first launched, so, over five years ago. I remember when the Comcast guy came to set it up. He wasn't an idiot and it wasn't a nightmare, but he obviously had very little experience with CableCARDs, and none with TiVo (I remember it taking a long time to convince him he needed two cards for one device). It took a couple of hours for him to figure out what needed to be done and then to convince the person on the phone at Comcast to do their part. Eventually they worked it all out, and by the time he left everything was working fine. An educational experience for all involved.

So now I'm getting a Premiere Elite, which arrives on Monday. I went to the local Comcast office, walked right up to the counter, and asked for an M-Card. She took my phone number, looked up my account, disappeared into the back for about 20 seconds, came back with a card, scanned it, printed out a receipt, and I was back out the door within 2-3 minutes from when I walked in. She didn't even ask why I needed it...I guess she assumed that somebody who knows enough to say "I need an M-Card" knows what he's doing.

We'll see how the actual self-installation goes on Monday, but I am cautiously optimistic.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Thank the FCC for that. Until about 6-8 months ago most cable companies still required a truck roll to install a CableCARD. But the FCC revised the CableCARD mandate and made it a requirement that they all offer self installs. Because of this they had to simplify the entire install procedure which made the whole process easier for everyone. 6-8 months ago your experience wouldn't have been much different then it was 5 years ago. Maybe a little faster, but you still would have had to take the time to meet the cable guy and have him call someone at the home office over his radio to set it up. Now any CSR can authorize the card over the phone, and some companies even have a website where you can enter the information yourself and authorization is completely automated.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

Rob... similar experience. Have two of the original S3s, and cable cards were a bit of a challenge.

I bought an Elite a couple months ago. Picked the card up first, just like you. When the Elite arrived, I went thru setup, installed the cable card and called Comcast. A few minutes later, everything was paired, and I had four tuners under my control. It was that simple.

I love my Elite. And the power of four tuners has gone to my head.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I love my Elite. And the power of four tuners has gone to my head.
Yeah, tonight I'm wishing I had it already. Three network shows (no repeats) at 8:00 Central! One of which is downloading appearing by magic on my computer as we speak.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Thank the FCC for that. Until about 6-8 months ago most cable companies still required a truck roll to install a CableCARD. But the FCC revised the CableCARD mandate and made it a requirement that they all offer self installs.
Really? TW-Austin told me I had to get a truck roll and the tech didn't even bring the TA I needed
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Escalate this to TWC and get the truck roll charge removed - they are required to offer self-install as of 8/2011 (for TWC).
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
pmiranda

The only bright point is I've never been charged for a truck roll here. I just hate having to wait on somebody that usually knows less about how this works than I do.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
ADG
Allan

Also had the same experience(s). Two S3's - one when it was first introduced. Had to be sure to ask Cablevision to send someone who had experience with Tivo's (they didn't and a second tech had to come out). Not a nightmare experience, but not as smooth as one would hope.

This time I also walked into a Cablevision "store", asked for an M-card (and also there were no questions asked) and the next day installed it in the Elite, made a call to Cablevision to activate, and within a half hour of opening the box and removing the Elite it was up and running. I'm certain your installation will go just as smoothly Rob.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
Drewster
Shooting blanks

What about switched video adapters? Do the Elites not need them?
Old 02-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Comcast doesn't use SDV in most of their markets.

See this link for more info --> http://www.lightreading.com/document...&site=lr_cable
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster
Yes. If your cable company uses SDV then you need a tuning adapter.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
sar840t2

Don't make the mistake I just made (this is with Comcast in the Seattle area):

When I picked up the M-Cards from the office, she made an install appointment for me "just in case there's a filter on the line" (I am upgrading from internet only to internet & TV, so perhaps this is necessary, although I can't see a filter anywhere on the line between the pole and my house wall).

It took an hour of trying to pair before the person on the pairing number realized that pairing was failing because there was future install scheduled.

Now I have to wait until Wednesday for my "just in case" appointment :-(

What I should have done is refuse the appointment, triy to pair, and if I couldn't get the channels I expected after pairing call for an appointment.

Mike
sar840t2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #13
Saberj

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Escalate this to TWC and get the truck roll charge removed - they are required to offer self-install as of 8/2011 (for TWC).
I'm pretty sure that the official rule is that they only have to offer it if they offer self-installs for other items. Here, they offer self-installs for our digital converters. So it's required. But it's not necessarily required everywhere. Though I imagine TWC has something they allow self installs on.
12/25/201 - Current: Tivo Premiere Elite
Saberj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #14
Lrscpa

As was the difference with pairing. I took the old cablecard from an existing TiVo, and put it in the new Elite, and a five minute call to Cablevision, and I was in business.

Decided to keep the old TiVo, got a new cablecard (will return the old box and save $5/mo), and will set up today.

Roamio Pro (Stock) w/Lifetime <Stewie>
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime <Brian>
TiVo Premiere Elite (Stock) w/Lifetime-Sold
TiVo HD w/1TB WD10000CSRTL w/Lifetime-Sold
No More Tuning Adapters!
MoCA
Lrscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberj View Post
I'm pretty sure that the official rule is that they only have to offer it if they offer self-installs for other items. Here, they offer self-installs for our digital converters. So it's required. But it's not necessarily required everywhere. Though I imagine TWC has something they allow self installs on.
Yes of course, that's why I said 'for TWC'.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
bobrt6676

Picked up my Elite yesterday and on the way home stopped by TWC and picked up the CC self install kit. Setup the Elite DL'd all updates, popped in CC and called the number TW gave in the install kit. 10min on hold, then I was up and running in 10 min. Great improvement!!
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #17
angel35

Cablecards & TAs self installs. At TWC.I did one my self Thay help you get it going

DT-649

DT- 649 -180

HD S3 -648

Tivo-HD -652
angel35 is offline   Reply With Quote