TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #241
tomhorsley

Another weird glitch I noticed: I'm browsing through tivo suggestions. I see a show I don't ever want it to waste time recording again. I select it to get to the screen for that individual show so I can hit thumbs down a lot. I then select "delete this recording".

That almost instantly takes me back to the list of suggestions, which even has the show I just deleted already missing from the list. Wow, I think, it is actually quick here.

Then a second later, the whole screen goes black and it redraws the exact same screen from scratch again. Weird.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #242
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Another weird glitch I noticed: I'm browsing through tivo suggestions. I see a show I don't ever want it to waste time recording again. I select it to get to the screen for that individual show so I can hit thumbs down a lot. I then select "delete this recording".

That almost instantly takes me back to the list of suggestions, which even has the show I just deleted already missing from the list. Wow, I think, it is actually quick here. Then a second later, the whole screen goes black and it redraws the exact same screen from scratch again. Weird.
Very similar to 3.2.6
Did you have an "X" showing on that recording when you went back to the list, then it redrew the screen to remove the X'ed show from the list? Having a single redraw is "normal" (annoying, but normal).
Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #243
mnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
This has come up several times. Workarounds:
a. Hit select first to bring up the info banner
b. Now enter SPS code while the banner is still up (including starting with select again)

2. Play back a showcase video and you can then enter SPS code as normal while it's playing.

3. Switch to SDUI to enter SPS codes
Hitting select brings up the mini guide, not the info banner. Hitting select again to begin the SPS sequence selects a show on the grid, which fails the SPS entry.
mnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #244
mnb

With the old guide you could arrow over to the right panel and hit select to get record options on the show that is currently playing on that channel.

With the new guide, hitting select changes the channel, which is unexpected behavior. It does this when you are in the left or right panel.

If you scroll down to a show playing in the future in the right panel, the guide behaves as before... ie: hitting select brings up a record option screen.

This happens if you do this on the channel that is currently live or not. If the channel is live (ie: being watched), it dismisses all dialogs and pops up the mini info banner and play bar as if you'd just changed the channel to that show. If you hit select on a currently playing show on a channel that isn't live, it changes to that channel.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #245
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb View Post
Hitting select brings up the mini guide, not the info banner. Hitting select again to begin the SPS sequence selects a show on the grid, which fails the SPS entry.
Corrected my post for workaround 1.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #246
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
With the old guide you could arrow over to the right panel and hit select to get record options on the show that is currently playing on that channel. With the new guide, hitting select changes the channel, which is unexpected behavior. It does this when you are in the left or right panel.
* HDUI (there are two UI's)
* Sounds like you are talking about the Live Guide (there are two guides- live and grid)
* Yep, the behavior is probably a bit different, although it actually makes sense. If something is currently playing (current time slot), it just takes you there. Probably no need for recording options at that point.
* I am not familiar with the old, live, HDUI guide, since until recently, I could never tolerate the HDUI long enough to get to know it. I will assume you are much more familiar with it, so I will add this as another entry describing changes in the guide. Good observation!
Old 01-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #247
morac
Cat God

Rather than put bugs in a negative category, would it be possible to break things out that are obvious bugs as opposed to things you simply don't like?
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #248
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post

2) the new banner/information display. How do I bring up the medium banner? Previously, it was easy to toggle between the three different views. The "mini" one that showed just the channel number and name and logo in the upper right hand corner. The "Medium", which ran the width of the screen and gave more information (like the actual name of the program), and the "full" which gave even more options and then let you select options like CC, audio, what the other tuner was recording, etc. Is there not a way to toggle? Before, the directional arrows let me do that. But now, it seems the only way to get the "medium" is when you actually change channels while watching Live TV.

There is no longer a "mini". And yes, the only way to get "medium" is to change the channel or go to Live TV from the menus. Someone has mentioned elsewhere that the right arrow will eventually be used for something other than bring up the "full" which will then only be accessible by pressing 'info".
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #249
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post

There is no longer a "mini". And yes, the only way to get "medium" is to change the channel or go to Live TV from the menus. Someone has mentioned elsewhere that the right arrow will eventually be used for something other than bring up the "full" which will then only be accessible by pressing 'info".
Thanks

I really don't care so much about losing the "mini', but I wish I could easily bring up and dismiss the "medium" without changing the channel.

Not really a major thing, but I will have to get used to different behavior when using the left and right directional arrows while watching LiveTV, or even a recorded program.. After over 10 years of use, it's different now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #250
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Rather than put bugs in a negative category, would it be possible to break things out that are obvious bugs as opposed to things you simply don't like?
Well, we talked about it before. Maybe I will try a different format next time (if I can muster the obsession to do it again). Bugs are always negative, though (that is by definition of what a bug is). But sometimes changes are neither positive or negative (or they are both), since it is more subjective. Just tried to go with what appears to be the majority sentiment. Even label some when it isn't clear. I believe many people do like having things separated, even if it isn't perfect.

It is even sometimes unclear if something is a bug or an intentional change (a good example would be the disappearance of closed captioning why fast playing. At first, it seems to be a bug- an omission or malfunction of a previous feature, until we are told by Margret that it's removal was an intentional design change to deal with other, unspecified needs)
Old 01-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #251
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I pretty much agree. I think the lack of a filter in the guide is a negative. I don't know if it is a bug or of it's intentional, but I am not quite sure how anyone would think of it as a positive. So, to me, that goes to the negative side no matter what the reason behind it.

The way there banner/info works? That's more of a personal preference. I would prefer to be able to cycle through the styles of "medium" and "full" like I could before, but it's just a personal preference.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #252
PedjaR

Sometimes when I delete a show and it returns me to My Shows, instead of being around the spot where the deleted recording was, I find myself all teh way down on the Recently Deleted line. That did not happen until 20.2., then it happened every time for a few days, then it did not happen at all for a few days, then it started happening again. Weird. Anybody else noticed this?
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #253
StarkNaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedjaR View Post
Sometimes when I delete a show and it returns me to My Shows, instead of being around the spot where the deleted recording was, I find myself all teh way down on the Recently Deleted line. That did not happen until 20.2., then it happened every time for a few days, then it did not happen at all for a few days, then it started happening again. Weird. Anybody else noticed this?
Yes, I have had that happen. Confused the heck out of me till I figured out what happened. It was one of those " what just happened" moments.
StarkNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #254
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkNaked View Post
Yes, I have had that happen. Confused the heck out of me till I figured out what happened. It was one of those " what just happened" moments.
I have had a lot of strange deletion experiences in the HDUI. Today, I tried to delete a suggested program 12 times and it simply would not delete. I tried every way I could think of and most of the time it would "think" about it for several seconds or more (one time I waited 30 seconds for the "X" to go away and it to disappear before trying something else). I then just decided to try and play the damn thing- it came up and said it could not play it because of some video problem with it, so I tried yet again and then it played, and it was not a complete program. Seems it had recorded some "blank", non-existent stuff, then had video. This must have confused it. Once I exited it that, it would finally delete.

Now THAT is strange.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #255
gteague
golftango

Quote:
+1, yes it does.

and there is also no guarantee that there will be a show in the showcase section suitable for use. the only one i had found that worked was the morning joe promotion and it has disappeared lately.

/guy
Old 01-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #256
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I've seen some weird issues with one of the tuners changing to the lowest channel number i have in "Channels I receive". Not when I am watching Live TV.. But if I am watching a program from My Shows and then cut to Live TV, I sometimes wind up on channel 101, even if neither tuner was ever tuned to that channel.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #257
mnb

Quote:
Corrected my post for workaround 1.
workaround 1 does not work.

Once you press play in the SPS sequence, it breaks. At least in HDUI mode. I NEVER use SDUI unless there's no HDUI screen for it yet.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #258
mnb

HDUI mode
at Main Tivo screen or in My Shows

Before:
Pressing the guide button took you to the channel shown in the video preview with the guide window up.

Now:
Pressing the guide button in those situations does nothing. Not even an error bonk sound.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #259
compnurd

Quote:
HDUI mode

Before:
Pressing the guide button took you to the channel shown in the video preview with the guide window up.

Now:
Pressing the guide button in those situations does nothing. Not even an error bonk sound.
Pressing Guide is both of those situations takes me to the guide?
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #260
mnb

Quote:
HDUI mode

Before:

Now:
Odd, I tested it again just now. I'm not using my usual remote. I'm using one from a Series 2 because I dropped my Premiere's remote into a cup of coffee and it doesn't work anymore. =( I think I may have been pressing Info instead of Guide. I can't repro the issue by pressing guide, with either a recorded show or live TV playing. But I can if I press Info (which is not an issue, IMO).

So I'd ignore this issue unless others report it as well. Sorry...
Old 01-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #261
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb

Odd, I tested it again just now. I'm not using my usual remote. I'm using one from a Series 2 because I dropped my Premiere's remote into a cup of coffee and it doesn't work anymore. =( I think I may have been pressing Info instead of Guide. I can't repro the issue by pressing guide, with either a recorded show or live TV playing. But I can if I press Info (which is not an issue, IMO).
The guide remote code changes depending on what remote you use. The TiVo knows which code to listen for when you press the TiVo button. So if you swap remotes, you need to press the TiVo button first or the guide button won't work correctly. Maybe that's what happened to you?
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #262
gespears

Any news on whether or not they are going to fix the SPS 9 code and move the clock from the middle of the screen and make it the same size it was before?

Thanks
gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #263
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gespears View Post
Any news on whether or not they are going to fix the SPS 9 code and move the clock from the middle of the screen and make it the same size it was before?

Thanks
I'm guessing they will make it an officially supported feature sometime this year!
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #264
basscadet

I just got the update on my Premiere tonight. Overall I like it pretty well (I hated the SD guide), but one thing that's bothering me and I don't see listed in the changelog is that it no longer displays "HD" in the grid guide for HD shows? Or maybe this is a bug like the "new" tags disappearing? I have no "HD" displays on the grid guide - I have to look at the info for a show. For me this is really annoying because I basically just won't watch a show if it's not HD, and some networks (like Food Network) do have shows that could be either HD or SD depending on when they were filmed (and the SD versions are stretched). So I need to click around all over the guide to figure out what I can actually watch.

Also, since it seems like we're just generally commenting on stuff, I must be the only one who *liked* the Discovery Bar the way it was... it's really disappointing to me to have only four things in it now. I actually did use this the way TiVo intended - to find stuff to watch that I might not have thought of before - though even still, it only had maybe a 10% "hit rate" with me. But with only four items in it, it's now basically useless - there just aren't enough items in it to make it worth even glancing at now, because the chances of any particular one of them being something I want to watch are very low.

These are the only two big complaints I have. One more minor complaint is that the left arrow button seems to *rarely* work on any screen in this release, and I guess I'd gotten into the habit of using that to "back out" of pretty much anywhere I happened to be. I'm having to re-learn how to get around. The "HD" display thing seems like a bug so I'm hoping that just gets fixed somehow.

Last edited by basscadet : 01-23-2012 at 10:24 PM.
basscadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #265
gteague
golftango

has anyone other than me noticed that the hd menu system seems to have gotten slower and slower the further away from the update we travel? it's such a subtle and incremental thing i barely noticed it for days until the lag time started accumulating enough to be noticeable. i'd estimate the hd menus are perhaps 15-20% less responsive than the few days after the update was loaded. for me who had previously deep-sixed the hd menus for being too slow, that point is nearly being reached again where i abandon them for the sd system.

/guy

Last edited by gteague : 01-23-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: abandon, not abalone! stupid spellcheck ...
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #266
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
has anyone other than me noticed that the hd menu system seems to have gotten slower and slower the further away from the update we travel? it's such a subtle and incremental thing i barely noticed it for days until the lag time started accumulating enough to be noticeable. i'd estimate the hd menus are perhaps 15-20% less responsive than the few days after the update was loaded. for me who had previously deep-sixed the hd menus for being too slow, that point is nearly being reached again where i abalone them for the sd system.

/guy
I reached my threshold of tolerance of HDUI after about 1 week and reverted back to SDUI. Too many little bugs/quirks/inconsistencies and still way too slow for me. I try not to use the GUI much at all on the TiVos anyway so HDUI doesn't do much for me anyway. Unfortunately some things such as Recording History that are part of SDUI were broken with 20.2. In any case the release and reliability of MRS though more than makes up for most of the negatives for me, especially since one can MRS still-recording programs.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #267
lessd

Quote:
I reached my threshold of tolerance of HDUI after about 1 week and reverted back to SDUI. Too many little bugs/quirks/inconsistencies and still way too slow for me. I try not to use the GUI much at all on the TiVos anyway so HDUI doesn't do much for me anyway. Unfortunately some things such as Recording History that are part of SDUI were broken with 20.2. In any case the release and reliability of MRS though more than makes up for most of the negatives for me, especially since one can MRS still-recording programs.
+1

Old 01-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #268
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
has anyone other than me noticed that the hd menu system seems to have gotten slower and slower the further away from the update we travel? it's such a subtle and incremental thing i barely noticed it for days until the lag time started accumulating enough to be noticeable. i'd estimate the hd menus are perhaps 15-20% less responsive than the few days after the update was loaded. for me who had previously deep-sixed the hd menus for being too slow, that point is nearly being reached again where i abandon them for the sd system.

/guy
Yes I do notice that too. Reboot now takes longer also. 5+ minutes now

I have an issue during rebooting now too. When the final boot screen loads it is only the upper left corner of the screen, but displays the full boot screen in that upper 1/4 of the display. Very Odd.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 01-24-2012 at 03:44 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:32 AM   #269
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Yes I do notice that too. Reboot now takes longer also. 5+ minutes now

I have an issue during rebooting now too. When the final boot screen loads it is only the upper left corner of the screen, but displays the full boot screen in that upper 1/4 of the display. Very Odd.
I have no issues during rebooting. My reboot times have increased a bit. I'm thinking that the increased boot times may be related to the number of programs stored on the TiVo.

TiVo Premiere w/ 500GB external drive: 4m 50s - 94% full
TiVo Premiere Elite: 4m 45s - 27% full
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #270
TerpBE
Go Terps!

I noticed something the other day that may or may not be a version 20 change.

When performing a wishlist search, they limit the number of matching items (300 I think).

For example, I have a wishlist for "Movies, (2010) * (2011) * (2012)". I like to check it now and then to see what newer movies are airing in the next couple of weeks. However, when I looked at it the other day I noticed that the list only included airings for the next three days! I looked at the guide and there was guide data for ~2 weeks, but only 3 days worth of movies were listed for the wish list.

Doing a quick flip through the list, I think the number of entries was ~300, so I don't know if they set that to be the maximum number of search results allowed. Also, I'm not sure if this was necessarily changed for version 20.2, but I never noticed it before then so I'm suspecting it was.

Can anyone verify whether this has been changed or if it has always had a limit?
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote