TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #151
ADG
Allan

The only complaints I have about the HDUI (and I realize they existed prior to this update, but I always used SDUI previously) are:

The inability to completely remove the Discovery Bar (aside from the fact it takes some time to load, I don't like jumping to the Bar when I'm scrolling to the top of the list in My Shows)

and

The inability to remove You Tube from My Shows.

It's my feeling that I not only paid for the hardware, but I'm paying for the service. As long as that's the case, I feel that I should have some control over what appears on the screen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #152
forum1
TiVo user since 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
The only complaints I have about the HDUI (and I realize they existed prior to this update, but I always used SDUI previously) are:

The inability to completely remove the Discovery Bar (aside from the fact it takes some time to load, I don't like jumping to the Bar when I'm scrolling to the top of the list in My Shows)

and

The inability to remove You Tube from My Shows.

It's my feeling that I not only paid for the hardware, but I'm paying for the service. As long as that's the case, I feel that I should have some control over what appears on the screen.
+1

Although I do have other complaints about the HDUI, including some of the latest changes with 20.2, which I think have been captured by others in this thread.
forum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #153
andyf

In 20.2 you can remove YouTube from My Shows. There is a setting for YouTube in the Video Providers list. Uncheck it and it's gone.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #154
forum1
TiVo user since 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
In 20.2 you can remove YouTube from My Shows. There is a setting for YouTube in the Video Providers list. Uncheck it and it's gone.
This is not new to 20.2 and doing this is really disabling these providers, which is not what I want to do. When you uncheck items on the “My Video Providers” list, they are removed as a search source and all menu references are removed, including entries on the “Find TV, Movies, & Videos” list where I would expect all enabled providers/sources to be listed. I simply want to remove the few duplicates that appear in My Shows, allowing me to maintain the My Shows exclusively for locally saved materials. By few duplicates I mean that only Hulu Plus, Netflix, and YouTube appear in My Shows while the complete list of providers adds Amazon Instant Video and BLOCKBUSTER. So the TiVo isn’t even consistent in its duplication of video providers between “Find TV, Movies, & Videos” and “My Shows”. I reported this to TiVo a long time ago. On the scale of issues I consider it fairly minor, but it is a UI design element that makes me question the design sensibilities of the folks at TiVo. Aside from being just another screw up, I am wondering if there is a program where certain providers can pay TiVo to make their service more visible/prominent in the UI.
forum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #155
innocentfreak

According to a tweet from Margret, filters in the guide will come back, but no eta.

http://twitter.com/#!/tivodesign/sta...71012087443456

I did come across something odd in the SDUI. I was browsing suggestions on my one TiVo and some of the shows recommended were on channels I don't get. I then went into channels and removed the channels. Then when I went back into suggestions at the bottom of the list, it was freaking out. I don't know how to describe it really. On the last page the top three items kept blinking and moving like the list kept trying to rebuild itself. It was only on the last page though. Skip also wouldn't jump to the top.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #156
AZrob

Maybe I am the only one who feels this way but:

I do not agree with categorizing the new coloring of the SDUI screens (all blue) as positive. What was once an interesting, colorful and useful set of screens has now been reduced to one boring set of blue screens. It's not only boring, but you don't know as readily what menu you are in.

I am not saying we need the dancing Tivo guy back, or even the background animation. But please bring back the varying colors. Yes I know it "matches" HDUI screens now...but for those of us who still find the HDUI unacceptable (my wife prefers the larger font of SDUI for show titles and doesn't need any of the other bells and whistles) turning the SDUI into a "sea of blue" is NOT a positive change.

If others chime in and disagree with me, fine. But I think you jumped the gun on characterizing this particular change as positive.

BTW crxssi, I really appreciate you pulling together all of this info - well done!

Rob from AZ
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #157
PedjaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrob View Post

I do not agree with categorizing the new coloring of the SDUI screens (all blue) as positive. What was once an interesting, colorful and useful set of screens has now been reduced to one boring set of blue screens. It's not only boring, but you don't know as readily what menu you are in.

I am not saying we need the dancing Tivo guy back, or even the background animation. But please bring back the varying colors. Yes I know it "matches" HDUI screens now...but for those of us who still find the HDUI unacceptable (my wife prefers the larger font of SDUI for show titles and doesn't need any of the other bells and whistles) turning the SDUI into a "sea of blue" is NOT a positive change.

If others chime in and disagree with me, fine. But I think you jumped the gun on characterizing this particular change as positive.

BTW crxssi, I really appreciate you pulling together all of this info - well done!

Rob from AZ
One man's boring is another man's consistency. To me, colorful stuff looked too amateurish (almost childish), and jarring, it looks much better now.
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #158
andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedjaR View Post
One man's boring is another man's consistency. To me, colorful stuff looked too amateurish (almost childish), and jarring, it looks much better now.
+1
Old 01-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #159
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:

Yeah, it is not necessarily a positive thing- or it depends on your point of view. For an SDUI user, it is less positive than an HDUI user (since many of the menus are the same). Personally, I find it better even in the SDUI, since it is less distracting (since less things change, and of course, no more animation). At the moment, I don't have a "neutral" level, since it would be even more complex. I am curious, of course, what others think about it, too...

Quote:
Thanks
Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #160
moyekj

SAP audio switching works with 20.2!

I think I saw this mentioned in a thread somewhere. The ability to switch audio stream (SAP) via the info button now actually works! I think this is the first time owning a TiVo where I got this to work. For example I was watching an NBA game and was able to use the Info menu to select alternate audio track which was in Spanish in this case. I had tried same thing before with my Premieres and S3 OLED and never got it to work prior to 20.2 software.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #161
xander777

Now that streaming is enabled between Premieres, is it possible to stream an Amazon video download to another Premiere or does the copy protection prohibit that?
xander777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #162
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander777 View Post
Now that streaming is enabled between Premieres, is it possible to stream an Amazon video download to another Premiere or does the copy protection prohibit that?
I think for Amazon content MRS is still prohibited intentionally, but other copy-protected content such as protected recorded TV and/or pyTivo pushes is not.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #163
xander777

That's a bummer. If I paid for the show, I should be able to watch part of it in one room and then continue watching it in another.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #164
danjw1

Quote:
That's a bummer. If I paid for the show, I should be able to watch part of it in one room and then continue watching it in another.
I think if you buy something from amazon, you are supposed to be able to play in on multiple devices. I may be wrong though.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #165
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjw1 View Post
I think if you buy something from amazon, you are supposed to be able to play in on multiple devices.
Correct. The caveat being that you have to download your purchase to each device, individually.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #166
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I think if you buy something from amazon, you are supposed to be able to play in on multiple devices. I may be wrong though.
Yes, you can download it to two TiVos(and other devices like PCs) and two portable unBox devices.. Any complaints about not being able to transfer it need to be sent to the content holders.

EDIT: I guess it depends on the content. Most of the content I have purchased can only be downloaded to two TiVos. But I do see some content in my Amazon digital library that shows it can be downloaded to as many as six devices.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #167
xander777

So if I rent a movie using Amazon Instant Video on my premiere, how would I download that to my other premiere?
Old 01-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #168
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614

Correct. The caveat being that you have to download your purchase to each device, individually.
Since all devices other than TiVo stream, downloading isn't an issue. Purchases and rentals can be streamed to an unlimited number of devices. Another reason (besides the missing free Prime videos) for TiVo to support streaming from Amazon.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #169
danjw1

Quote:
So if I rent a movie using Amazon Instant Video on my premiere, how would I download that to my other premiere?
You have to link it to your Amazon account. If you browse and select an Amazon Video from you Tivo, I believe it will take you through the initial setup. They do have some free content, but Amazon Prime isn't supported on Tivo, for now.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #170
xander777

Quote:
You have to link it to your Amazon account. If you browse and select an Amazon Video from you Tivo, I believe it will take you through the initial setup. They do have some free content, but Amazon Prime isn't supported on Tivo, for now.
Found the answer on Amazon: Rental videos can only be watched in one location- either online or downloaded to one PC or TiVo box.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #171
MC Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi
3.2.1.9 When entering channel numbers, they stop at 4 digits and do not wrap around as they did in the old guide. So there is no way to correct a typo, you have to wait for the incorrect channel or exist the guide.
You can press 'Clear' to delete the typo.
MC Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #172
cherry ghost

Anyone notice how difficult is now to add time to a recording initiated from the Guide in the HDUI? You're forced to scroll through "Upcoming" to find the episode you've already selected from the Guide.

Also, when did the numerical shortcuts in "TiVo Central" change when using HDUI? 1-4 still work, 5 is now "Browse TV & Movies", and 6-9 are gone. 8 used to bring up "Suggestions" and now I can't figure a way to get there without the shortcut. 6,7, and 9 at least still have way to navigate to without the shortcut. In the SDUI, all the shortcuts still work as they had in the past. This may have changed previously and I just didn't notice until now.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:11 AM   #173
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Anyone notice how difficult is now to add time to a recording initiated from the Guide in the HDUI? You're forced to scroll through "Upcoming" to find the episode you've already selected from the Guide.
Hit select when on the guide and select season pass and other options. You get this same option when you initiate a recording too so you don't have to do it afterwards.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:59 AM   #174
RoundTuit

Another case of TiVo not responding to remote

crxssi, I experienced another case where my Premiere XL would not respond to remote commands even though the amber LED was indicating that IR commands were being received.

The first incident was reported in the "Premiere Froze" thread on 1/10/2012 via the following two posts:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...87#post8893987
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...74#post8897474
Tonight's incident was slightly different, but similar results. I was watching a recorded program and had reached the end of the program. I do not recall if I was at the absolute end where the video had stopped and the overlay asking if I wanted to delete or keep was displayed, or I was just near the end. Whatever the case, I wanted to rewind the last scene and I hit RW three times (i.e., RW3). However, it was rewinding very slow (RW1 was indicated), so I continued to hit the rewind button. The amber LED would flash but it continured rewinding in RW1 mode. I kept trying different remote commands until I realized I may have a similar condition as before. At this point I tried Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play, Play a couple of times with no effect just to see if that would unfreeze it.

At this point I went looking for my iPad, and by the time I had found where my wife had left it, a couple of minutes had passed. The TiVo was still in RW1 mode. I was able to connect with the iPad app and was able to view My Shows. I tried sending commands using the iPad remote screen, e.g., pause, RW, play, etc. (multiple times!), but that had no effect. I went back to the My Shows list, selected the show that was being played, and selected Watch Now. At this point TiVo started playing the recording from the beginning. I am guessing it had been stuck at least 3-4 minutes. I should have taken note of the time on the progress bar, but I didn't.

So, we have at least two cases where this has occurred in the HDUI.
RoundTuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #175
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost
Also, when did the numerical shortcuts in "TiVo Central" change when using HDUI? 1-4 still work, 5 is now "Browse TV & Movies", and 6-9 are gone. 8 used to bring up "Suggestions" and now I can't figure a way to get there without the shortcut. 6,7, and 9 at least still have way to navigate to without the shortcut. In the SDUI, all the shortcuts still work as they had in the past. This may have changed previously and I just didn't notice until now.
it's been that way since the Premiere was released. Suggestions are in "Browse TV & Internet", I forget which category it's under but it's there.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #176
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Hit select when on the guide and select season pass and other options. You get this same option when you initiate a recording too so you don't have to do it afterwards.
That's what I'm doing, but if there are other airings of the show, nightly shows or reruns, you have to scroll through "Upcoming". For example, try selecting an airing of Letterman for next week in the Guide and adding time to it. Also, whether you select "Season pass & other options" or "Explore this show" you get taken to the same screen. Seems redundant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
it's been that way since the Premiere was released. Suggestions are in "Browse TV & Internet", I forget which category it's under but it's there.
I just switched to the HDUI with the latest update, so I hadn't noticed this. The shortcuts were very handy.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #177
Innerloop

Not sure if this was intentional or accidental, but previously to toggle closed captions via the Banner display, it required more "down" clicks because the CC symbol was at or near the bottom of the icons available. Now I noticed its only 1 click from the starting point. So faster CC toggle on/off!
Innerloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #178
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Found the answer on Amazon: Rental videos can only be watched in one location- either online or downloaded to one PC or TiVo box.
I watch mainly Tv shows from Amazon downloads and those I've seen can be from two to six devices. It's been a while since I've rented a movie from Amazon since I have better quality options available.

Although I'm using Amazon less for Tv now too since VUDU is getting more TV content.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #179
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innerloop View Post
Not sure if this was intentional or accidental, but previously to toggle closed captions via the Banner display, it required more "down" clicks because the CC symbol was at or near the bottom of the icons available. Now I noticed its only 1 click from the starting point. So faster CC toggle on/off!
Yes agreed. It's much easier to toggle CC on/off with standard remote now.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #180
jkudlacz

Quote:

Rob from AZ
This is a matter of personal preference, it's not like the background is Yellow or Pink, I personally like it and don't mind it at all.
jkudlacz is offline   Reply With Quote