TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #601
proudx

audio only ota channel bug

In Atlanta we have some ota digital audio only channels that rebroadcast local radio stations. They will not tune on the premiere but tune fine on the series 3. This problem is specific to over the air channels that contain no video and only audio. the dvr statistics show a solid signal strength and good SNR. Has a channel lock and signal lock, with no errors showing up, but the premiere just says problem with the signal on this antenna channel, it tunes the same sub-channels that have video and audio just fine.

Last edited by proudx : 05-08-2012 at 10:41 PM.
proudx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #602
WillH

Well, my Premiere XL finally died. After slow performance and random reboots over the past few weeks, it went TU yesterday.

See post here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...42#post9086942

It is not a question of IF but WHEN yours will fail.....................

Make sure you get that extended warranty.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #603
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudx View Post
I did a search to see if someone else noticed this bug too, and found this thread.
(
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...39#post9084739

Echo:
Sometimes, when I fast forward through a program and come to a stop, the audio has an extremely echo sound. When I hit the 8-second back button the audio returns to normal. Weird. )

I too have noticed this.

I have this issue too. I always assumed it was a problem with my receiver, but considering others are having it, I guess it might be the Tivo. I'm using an old (~90s) Sony receiver with an optical audio connection.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #604
GoEagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Well, my Premiere XL finally died. After slow performance and random reboots over the past few weeks, it went TU yesterday.

See post here:

After only 2 years or so? Scary.
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #605
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

See post here:

Every device will fail at some point. hard Drives fail. Some sooner than others. But personally in over ten years with TiVos I've never had a hard drive fail. And in using hard drives for twenty years, around 200, I've also never had one fail after being put into service. Well at least not yet. But I've beat the odds so far.

Even my DirecTV TiVos that I upgraded to larger drives ten years ago are still working. I gave them to some friends years ago and they still use them daily.

And hopefully I didn't just jinx myself, since my launch Premiere XL is over 25 months old now.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #606
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Based on your sample of one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #607
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudx View Post
In Atlanta we have some ota digital audio only channels that rebroadcast local radio stations. They will not tune on the premiere but tune fine on the series 3. This problem is specific to over the air channels that contain no video and only audio. the dvr statistics show a solid signal strength and good SNR. Has a channel lock and signal lock, with no errors showing up, but the premiere just says problem with the signal on this antenna channel, it tunes the same sub-channels that have video and audio just fine.
OK, that is not likely to have started as a problem in 20.2, but it is worthy of adding as an "unresolved" issue. Unfortunately, I have a feeling few areas have the ability to test/confirm it; I know in my area, there are no such audio-only stations.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #608
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Updated to version 45.
Remember to check the first posting to see the most current version: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...71#post8891071

Your feedback is important! Please report errors- typos, things that are missing, numbering issues, things that should not be there, miscategorizations, clarifications, etc. Note that sometimes there is a delay before items are added/removed as I attempt to clarify or verify things, or wait for others to comment or verify.

22: Added 1.2.5, 1.2.6, and 1.2.7
23: Added 3.2.8
24: Added 4.6
25: Added 3.1.2.7
26: Minor corrections
27: Broke out 3.1.3 with 3.1.3.1/3.1.3.2; Added 3.1.17, 3.1.2.8, 3.1.3.3; Edited 3.1.10, 3.1.14
28: Added 3.1.3.4
29: Removed first 3.1.17; Edited 1.2.5, 1.2.6
30: Added a new 3.1.17
31: Added 3.2.9; Edited 3.1.10
32: Added 4.7; Edited 3.2.9, 4.0, 4.1
33: Added 2.2.1, 3.1.18
34: Added 4.8 (although it needs refinement)
35: Added 2.2.2
36: Broke out 3.2.4 with renumbered 3.2.4/3.2.7; Renumbered 3.2.9 to 3.2.7; Added 3.2.4.3, 3.2.9
37: Added 1.2.8
38: Added 3.2.10
39: Added 3.1.19
40: Added more info to 3.2.7
41: Added 3.2.1.9
42: Turned 3.2.6 into a category; Renumbered 3.2.6 to 3.2.6.1, 3.2.7 to 3.2.6.2; Added new 3.2.6.3; Renumbered 3.2.10 to 3.2.7
43: Added 4.9
44: Added 4.10
45: Removed: 4.9 Renumbered 4.10 to 4.9

Last edited by crxssi : 05-12-2012 at 10:49 AM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #609
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Please note that a new changelog thread has been created for those changes specific to 20.2.1.1 and can be found at the following URL: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=9088054

Not that this is scientific or anything, but previously I stopped editing the prior changelog when new software was released. If we discover other issues that might have been introduced in 20.2 (instead of 20.2.1.1), they can still be added to the new thread. This way, people only have to look at one thread.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #610
ajwees41

installed one of my premieres and it's running the version that is current according to http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/311 and I don't know when I'll get 20.2.1.M4-01-2-746?
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #611
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
installed one of my premieres and it's running the version that is current according to http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/311 and I don't know when I'll get 20.2.1.M4-01-2-746?
SW Version 20.2.1.M4-01-2-746 was a leaked beta trial version prior to the current SW Version.

The current SW Version should be 20.2.1.1-01-2-7xx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #612
pnut

Question cable channel scan

Hi All,
Did the 20.2 update remove the QAM channel scan? Is there a way to force a cable scan or revert back to the earlier firmware (14.9)? All it does now is ask for a zip code. I've tried to search for more information, but I haven't come across anything (or am searching for the wrong terms).

Backstory: I've been using the Tivo Premiere as an HD tuner for my projector without a subscription for about 9 months now. I was able to pick up the local broadcast channels in clear QAM. In the past, when selecting Cable in the guided setup, it would scan for all the available cable channels (including clear QAM), not just ask for a zip code. Our cable was cut about a month ago, so I re-ran the guided setup to use an antenna, but it fouled everything up.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.
pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #613
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnut View Post
Hi All,
Did the 20.2 update remove the QAM channel scan? Is there a way to force a cable scan or revert back to the earlier firmware (14.9)? All it does now is ask for a zip code.
Are you talking about 20.2 update or 20.2.1 update? You posted to the old thread.

I can't answer the QAM question, but I am very curious to know the conclusion (once I know which version you are really using)...
Old 05-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #614
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Are you talking about 20.2 update or 20.2.1 update? You posted to the old thread.

I can't answer the QAM question, but I am very curious to know the conclusion (once I know which version you are really using)...
I have a TP with 20.2.1 without TiVo service and I have done the QAM scan without problems.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #615
lpwcomp

Quote:
Hi All,
Did the 20.2 update remove the QAM channel scan? Is there a way to force a cable scan or revert back to the earlier firmware (14.9)? All it does now is ask for a zip code. I've tried to search for more information, but I haven't come across anything (or am searching for the wrong terms).

Backstory: I've been using the Tivo Premiere as an HD tuner for my projector without a subscription for about 9 months now. I was able to pick up the local broadcast channels in clear QAM. In the past, when selecting Cable in the guided setup, it would scan for all the available cable channels (including clear QAM), not just ask for a zip code. Our cable was cut about a month ago, so I re-ran the guided setup to use an antenna, but it fouled everything up.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.
Either I am misremembering or you are. Every TiVo I have ever owned over the last 10+ years asked for a zip code at the beginning of guided setup.

How did you get the update if the TiVo is unsubscribed?

What do you mean by "it fouled everything up"?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #616
pnut

I need to doublecheck my version - I do realize I posted in an old thread, but I've been having the issue since before this latest update. I don't recall if it prompted for a zip in the past, I just know now that it doesn't QAM scan anymore, but rather picks a lineup and sets the channels that way.

For instance, when I put in my zip, 77346, it brings up 2 Comcast lineups - basic and extended.

I guess I also need to doublecheck my cable line to that room is still working by bringing in another tv. I'll try and post back with my version tonight. Thanks for the responses.

By fouled everything up, I meant I lost all my QAM channels and the only way I get tv is by using the antenna. Prior to this, I only used cable/QAM channels, but when I did cable/antenna, I lost the original channels.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #617
lpwcomp

Quote:
I need to doublecheck my version - I do realize I posted in an old thread, but I've been having the issue since before this latest update. I don't recall if it prompted for a zip in the past, I just know now that it doesn't QAM scan anymore, but rather picks a lineup and sets the channels that way.

For instance, when I put in my zip, 77346, it brings up 2 Comcast lineups - basic and extended.

I guess I also need to doublecheck my cable line to that room is still working by bringing in another tv. I'll try and post back with my version tonight. Thanks for the responses.

By fouled everything up, I meant I lost all my QAM channels and the only way I get tv is by using the antenna. Prior to this, I only used cable/QAM channels, but when I did cable/antenna, I lost the original channels.
You have me totally confused. Is the TiVo subscribed or not? How do you expect to complete guided setup on an unsubscribed TiVo? Has your cable been cut or not? Have you tried doing a manual channel scan (Settings->Channels->Channel Scan)?

BTW, IMHO none of the changelog threads is the appropriate place for this exchange.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:51 AM   #618
pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
You have me totally confused. Is the TiVo subscribed or not? How do you expect to complete guided setup on an unsubscribed TiVo? Has your cable been cut or not? Have you tried doing a manual channel scan (Settings->Channels->Channel Scan)?

BTW, IMHO none of the changelog threads is the appropriate place for this exchange.
Tivo is not subscribed and has never been.
Completed the guided setup in the past without any issues.
Cable was cut about a month ago and was repaired (the line running to my house). While it was out I repeated the guided setup and lost the QAM channels I previously had while trying to add OTA tv channels. I have since re-run the guided setup after my cable was restored, but didn't have the option to do a cable channel scan.
I've looked for the channel scan previously, but I do not think it's an option.

Mods feel free to delete my posts, I was more curious if anyone else was having the issue. I appreciate the responses - sorry if I upset you.

Last edited by pnut : 05-31-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #619
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
How do you expect to complete guided setup on an unsubscribed TiVo?
An unsubscribed Tivo has to complete guided setup, otherwise how would the Tivo know what your channel line-up is?

A Premiere will work as a dumb cable box without a subscription.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #620
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
An unsubscribed Tivo has to complete guided setup, otherwise how would the Tivo know what your channel line-up is?
Why does an unsubscribed TiVo need to know what the channel line-up is? You can't get guide data unless you are subscribed. You are supposed to register your TiVo before you start guided setup. When it connects to the TiVo service, if it is not subscribed, I thought it would terminate the connection. I think there may have been a 30 day period when first set up. He's way past that.

Quote:
A Premiere will work as a dumb cable box without a subscription.
With no guide data. The channel scans are what finds the clear QAM channels and OTA channels. Has nothing to do with channel lineups.

I would like to ask pnut what the System Information screen has for "Tivo Service Account Status"?

Old 05-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #621
pnut

Quote:
I would like to ask pnut what the System Information screen has for "Tivo Service Account Status"?
I will check when I get home tonight.

Yes, I am able to complete the guided setup without having an account or subscription. I'm not interested in the guide or other features, I just want to be able to use the Tivo as a tuner to tune the QAM channels I have, but it's not prompting to do a channel scan on cable (only antenna).

Thanks again
Old 05-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #622
lpwcomp

Quote:
I will check when I get home tonight.

Yes, I am able to complete the guided setup without having an account or subscription. I'm not interested in the guide or other features, I just want to be able to use the Tivo as a tuner to tune the QAM channels I have, but it's not prompting to do a channel scan on cable (only antenna).

Thanks again
As far as the channel scans are concerned, that is the correct behavior. You should be able to force a cable channel scan through the method I outlined earlier. I did one yesterday on my new Premiere. Still negotiating with Comcast about what they want to charge me.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #623
pnut

Well I got home and found a message on Tivo saying that I have been updated with the Spring update. And wouldn't you know it, I was able to kick off a channel scan. Strange stuff - will post back with results. Thanks again for the responses.

Software Version is 20.2.1.1-01-2-746
Tivo Service Account Status is 7: Never Set Up

Channel scan was successful!

Last edited by pnut : 05-31-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #624
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Why does an unsubscribed TiVo need to know what the channel line-up is? You can't get guide data unless you are subscribed. You are supposed to register your TiVo before you start guided setup. When it connects to the TiVo service, if it is not subscribed, I thought it would terminate the connection. I think there may have been a 30 day period when first set up. He's way past that.
A brand new Tivo out of the box will give you a 7 day free trial of the TiVo Service. It has to complete Guided Setup to accomplish this goal.
In general, guide data and channel line-up are separate entities.
Any Tivo will have to go through Guided Setup (basically an enhanced channel scan) just to get the channel line-up for its location. It's the TiVo Service that maps the guide data specific to the channel line-up of the area.
It is not like the old days when channel X appeared on frequency Y no matter where you were. An unsubscribed Tivo does not download guide data, but it does rely on correctly mapping the channel line-up for a given area.
If your cable company puts HBO on channel 123, the Tivo needs to know that regardless of the subscription status. That way, when you enter '123' on the remote, you will be tuned to HBO. That is essentially what Guided Setup does.

Quote:
With no guide data. The channel scans are what finds the clear QAM channels and OTA channels. Has nothing to do with channel lineups.
Tivos have never been set up to deal with QAM channels without a cable card. They are able to tune them, only there's no guide data associated with them.
I suspect TiVo has changed the software to ignore recognizing QAM channels without a cable card on unsubscribed Premieres. This would fall in line with the fact that they disabled the live TV buffers for unsubscribed Premieres.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #625
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614
It is not like the old days when channel X appeared on frequency Y no matter where you were. An unsubscribed Tivo does not download guide data, but it does rely on correctly mapping the channel line-up for a given area.
If your cable company puts HBO on channel 123, the Tivo needs to know that regardless of the subscription status. That way, when you enter '123' on the remote, you will be tuned to HBO. That is essentially what Guided Setup does.
Actually that's what the cable card does. It decodes the channel lineup broadcast out by the cable company in the OOB data. That's why you can still tune channels via number, even if those channels have no guide data. So technically as long as a cable card is inserted, guided setup is not required for an unsubscribed TiVo. In reality it is needed since the box won't display the menus until guided setup is complete.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:46 PM   #626
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Actually that's what the cable card does. It decodes the channel lineup broadcast out by the cable company in the OOB data. That's why you can still tune channels via number, even if those channels have no guide data. So technically as long as a cable card is inserted, guided setup is not required for an unsubscribed TiVo. In reality it is needed since the box won't display the menus until guided setup is complete.
My using HBO as an example might have been in error since that is a premium channel and a cable card would be needed to correctly tune that channel.
But what about all the basic channels that can be tuned with a simple cable ready TV without a cable card? That is the issue here. The Premiere has (supposedly) lost the ability to tune QAM channels on unsubscribed boxes.
To me, this suggests TiVo is catering to the cable companies more than ever these days.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:18 PM   #627
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614

My using HBO as an example might have been in error since that is a premium channel and a cable card would be needed to correctly tune that channel.
But what about all the basic channels that can be tuned with a simple cable ready TV without a cable card? That is the issue here. The Premiere has (supposedly) lost the ability to tune QAM channels on unsubscribed boxes.
To me, this suggests TiVo is catering to the cable companies more than ever these days.
The ability to tune QAM any channel by number is entirely dependent on whether a cableCARD is inserted or not. The cable company sends the QAM channel map embedded in the signal. The Premiere can only decode that if it has activated cards inserted. No cards, no channel map, no channels. The only reason to scan for QAM channels is if there's either no card inserted or the cable company screwed up the channel mapping. I suppose there could be a software issue preventing mapped channel that aren't in the guide from displaying like they used to, but that has nothing to do with scanning. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cable#Channels

The guide data that the Premiere downloads simply maps program info to a specific channel number. That channel number may be incorrect or not even exist. Similarly channels can exist and be tunable without TiVo provided guide data. That's why there's a lineup issue form on TiVo's web site for fixing problems where the cable company and TiVo's (Tribune's technically) mapping don't match up.

I'll mention some cable companies encrypt (which isn't the same as copy protect) most cable channels (Comcast is starting to encrypt all channels, even basic, across their entire footprint). Encrypted channels cannot be tuned without a card.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:19 AM   #628
lpwcomp

Quote:
A brand new Tivo out of the box will give you a 7 day free trial of the TiVo Service. It has to complete Guided Setup to accomplish this goal.
In general, guide data and channel line-up are separate entities.
Any Tivo will have to go through Guided Setup (basically an enhanced channel scan) just to get the channel line-up for its location.
The channel lineup is downloaded from TiVo. It has nothing to do with a channel scan, enhanced or otherwise.
Quote:
It's the TiVo Service that maps the guide data specific to the channel line-up of the area.
No, it does not. The only reason a TiVo needs a channel lineup is to associate the guide data with the proper channel. There is flat out no reason to give a channel lineup to an unsubscribed TiVo. TiVos were never intended to be used as dumb tuners.

Quote:
Tivos have never been set up to deal with QAM channels without a cable card. They are able to tune them, only there's no guide data associated with them.
I suspect TiVo has changed the software to ignore recognizing QAM channels without a cable card on unsubscribed Premieres. This would fall in line with the fact that they disabled the live TV buffers for unsubscribed Premieres.
A cable channel scan may be done automatically during guided setup if you say that you don't intend to install a CableCARD, I've never set up a digital tuner TiVo like that. You can explicitly do one, but only if you have no CableCARD installed. For the most part, what you get when you perform one is channels that are in the same format as the Broadcast channels. For instance, I currently have both 5-1 WAGADT Fox 5 News at 10:00 (the OTA channel) and 5-1 WAGA HD To be announced (the clear QAM channel) visible in the guide. The channel number and call sign are imbedded in the digital stream and are set during the channel scan. I also have 4 WAGA Fox 5 News at 10:00 and 804 WAGADT Fox 5 News at 10:00. Those are the is SD and HD cable channels respectively that 5-1 gets mapped to. That's from the TiVo channel list that got downloaded during guided setup.

Why do you think the TiVo needs your zip code and cable system? So it can select the correct channel lineup. It also asks you to verify what is on specific channels because sometimes there are minor variations even within a local cable system.

You've obviously never selected the wrong lineup during guided setup or you'd know that a channel scan has nothing to do with it. I have.

As far as pnut's particular situation is concerned, it makes no sense. How can the status be "Never Set Up" when he just finished setting it up? Especially since he's WAY past the 7 day "free" period.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #629
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
As far as pnut's particular situation is concerned, it makes no sense. How can the status be "Never Set Up" when he just finished setting it up? Especially since he's WAY past the 7 day "free" period.
"Never Set Up" is for the TiVo Service account status, which means the DVR has never been activated with TiVo.
You can set up a Tivo without setting up an account to get service.
What happens behind the scenes during guided setup, I don't know. I just know that to the end user, it makes no difference whether the DVR is subscribed or not.
I suspect that an unsubscribed Tivo does everything that a subscribed Tivo does during Guided Setup. All the features are there, they're just "locked out" by the software.
That way if the Tivo is ever subscribed, it will instantly be ready to use.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #630
L David Matheny

Quote:
I suspect that an unsubscribed Tivo does everything that a subscribed Tivo does during Guided Setup. All the features are there, they're just "locked out" by the software.
That way if the Tivo is ever subscribed, it will instantly be ready to use.
In addition, connecting to the Internet for Guided Setup could allow TiVo to install the latest and most restrictive software on the box.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote