TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #31
compnurd

I have a problem with this one

3.2.9 Performance improvements still do not lead to a completely fluid user interface, mostly due to the delayed, live, internet-based loading of certain information, such as the discovery bar, and program graphics. Some screens take up to 6 seconds to finish drawing/updating everything.

I still think people are trying to compare this UI to an old text based interface that will never compare in terms of speed. I have had nothing take up to 6 sec on any screen.. even back on 14.9.2

Is the HDUI as close in speed to the POS interface my cable company provides, No that was lighting quick. But is was completely basic, ugly as hell and screwed up
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #32
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivo View Post
I surprised no one has mentioned this change, but the pause ads are now gone!
I wondered about that this morning. I couldn't recall seeing them at all yesterday, but am away from my TiVo's right now so I couldn't verify.

Jeff
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #33
EldRick

I believe that the "New" mentioned in 3.1.7 was there in 14.9.2 - I noticed it there yesterday.

Quote:
the pause ads are now gone!
If correct, that's huge! I'm Very tired of having to dismiss the obnoxious exhortations to watch "Morning Joe". These annoying forced interstitials alone are enough to keep me from ever taking a look at the show.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #34
colforbin13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
I wondered about that this morning. I couldn't recall seeing them at all yesterday, but am away from my TiVo's right now so I couldn't verify.

Jeff
I have seen these a few times, mostly saying "Shouldn't you be watching Morning Joe". They look a little different now with the new HD look, but they are still there, unfortunately.
colforbin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #35
EldRick

Whichever adman that decided that annoying the customers with the "Morning Joe" ads was a good idea should be fired!
Old 01-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #36
aaronwt
HD Addict

I thought this feature was new but maybe not. Now when I hit the info button and I see what is on the other three tuners on the Elite, I can select the tuner I want instead of cycling through the tuners.
Was this a feature before? I don't remember ever being able to select a specific tuner.

I know with the two tuners models you were always able to go to the other tuner.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #37
mask2343
Cable DVR convert

Seems to me we are praising stuff that should have been in the original UI. The fact that the Netflix and Amazon "apps" haven't been touched is pretty embarrassing. My Roku just got a new Amazon VOD app and it is great. My Blur-ray player has a better Netflix app. Tivo should be miles ahead of a company like Roku.

I love the Tivo...especially since I'm a chord cutter. I just find myself using my AppleTV to do Netflix which I really shouldn't have to do.
mask2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #38
beejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I thought this feature was new but maybe not. Now when I hit the info button and I see what is on the other three tuners on the Elite, I can select the tuner I want instead of cycling through the tuners.
Was this a feature before? I don't remember ever being able to select a specific tuner.
No, that's new.
S2DT - 186 hours

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #39
comma, splice

Any thoughts on the ability to sort guide channels alphabetically? Has anyone tested?

New feature, right?
comma, splice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #40
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
No, that's new.
Correct, from the TiVo PR:

Quote:
Multiple Tuner Icons - There are now "multiple tuner" icons in the full info banner. When that is highlighted, it shows what is playing and recording on the DVR's other tuners. If you'd rather watch one of those shows, you can easily select it to get to your other tuners.

sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #41
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivo View Post
I surprised no one has mentioned this change, but the pause ads are now gone!
Pause ads always disappear after an update. Never fear, they will surely come back after your Tivo makes a few connections.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #42
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
Yes that's what I mean. I thought hitting Guide or Clear just brought up a different mini-guide. Or do you mean to hit it twice?
When it goes back to the video the mini-channel bar pops up very briefly but that vanishes on its own. It looks like the behavior is that whenever you go to full screen video, no matter how you got there, you get that channel bar with the current channel and/or program info for a second. I think that's fine, others apparently don't like it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #43
andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone View Post
It looks like the behavior is that whenever you go to full screen video, no matter how you got there, you get that channel bar with the current channel and/or program info for a second.
Well, not exactly. If you clear mini-guide nothing pops up.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #44
TheWGP
Hmmm...

Awesome list! Thanks for posting!
TheWGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #45
jkudlacz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
I believe that the "New" mentioned in 3.1.7 was there in 14.9.2 - I noticed it there yesterday.

If correct, that's huge! I'm Very tired of having to dismiss the obnoxious exhortations to watch "Morning Joe". These annoying forced interstitials alone are enough to keep me from ever taking a look at the show.
It is possible that ads are not being served until new UI is fully deployed to all units.
My company sometimes doesn't' serve ads on certain browsers or code base until it fully out in PROD.
jkudlacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #46
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
Well, not exactly. If you clear mini-guide nothing pops up.
It also doesn't come up after clearing info or just letting it go away on it's own. mini-guide will also go away on it's own without clearing
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #47
innocentfreak

TiVoMarget just tweeted that MRS was turned on for those with 20.2. You need to force a connection to enable.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #48
danjw1

@tivodesign: "We've turned on Multi-Room Streaming for Premieres running 20.2 as of this morning. (Connect to the TiVo Service now to enable.)"
Old 01-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #49
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak
TiVoMarget just tweeted that MRS was turned on for those with 20.2. You need to force a connection to enable.
Thanks!
Old 01-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #50
i2k

VERY nice surprise to see this update. Keep up the good work So far so good on my Premiere XL
Old 01-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #51
compnurd

Yep Working great!
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #52
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
3.1.14 There is a new "mini guide" that will appear when you press "select" while watching a program. It displays the current channel and the next two channels over a two hour period.
This behavior is not consistent when pressing Select during a recording playback.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #53
sbiller

Broadband Episode Guide is new

Easier navigation to Episodes - New Episode guide shows only episodes available in broadband or broadcast TV by default making access to shows more clear and even easier. You can use an option button on the remote to change the filter to show all episodes, available or not, or only free episodes (Episodes not requiring a per episode purchase).

Easier navigation to Episodes - New Episode guide shows only episodes available in broadband or broadcast TV by default making access to shows more clear and even easier. You can use an option button on the remote to change the filter to show all episodes, available or not, or only free episodes (Episodes not requiring a per episode purchase).

Here is a suggestion on the Discovery Bar of different broadband content. In this case Hak5.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #54
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWGP View Post
Awesome list! Thanks for posting!
I am glad you like it.

According to another thread, it has too much "opinion" in it, things should not be listed as positive or negative, and that I should take a back seat.

I am trying REALLY hard to get over that and carry on.

I would be interested if people think "positive" and "negative" is meaningful for categorizing or helpful when they are reading the list (knowing that some might be debatable or neither positive nor negative... just different). Perhaps just "changes" and "bugs"?

I am a bit behind updating it, and will likely not attempt to tonight since I am just too worn out from work, and medical stuff, and then dealing with "that other thread". Sorry
Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #55
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I am glad you like it.

According to another thread, it has too much "opinion" in it, things should not be listed as positive or negative, and that I should take a back seat.

I would be interested if people think "positive" and "negative" is meaningful for categorizing or helpful when they are reading the list (knowing that some might be debatable or neither positive nor negative... just different). Perhaps just "changes" and "bugs"?

I am a bit behind updating it, and will likely not attempt to tonight since I am just too worn out from work, and medical stuff, and then dealing with "that other thread". Sorry
I really appreciate you putting together this list!

I think categorizing as positive or negative could be changed to a different categorization since some of the things you list as negative may not be considered negative by some and vice versa.

Maybe a way to handle this would be to categorize as:

New Features

Dropped Features

Fixed Issues

Known Issues / Defects

Thanks again!
~Sam
Old 01-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #56
brentil

Probably to be more PC since this is a change log thread to just replace positive with Fixes and negative with Bugs. Then people feel more like they're pointing out issues needing to be fixed and not opinions for or against TiVo.

It's all a game of semantics to be PC... It means the same thing by definition, but it removes any emotional attachment how it's been presented.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #57
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post

Please do carry on with this. And there's nothing wrong with characterizing changes as positive or negative (or neutral in some cases). Anybody who doesn't have opinions just isn't paying enough attention.

The only quibble I agree with is that the term "bug" is sometimes overused (although not necessarily by you). Strictly speaking, a program bug is an unanticipated action or side effect. If TiVo intentionally does something everybody hates, that's a bad ergonomic choice, but it's not really a bug. OTOH, I guess if a change seems completely goofy, it's not unreasonable to speculate that it must surely have been unintentional.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #58
EldRick

A Bug is when it doesn't do what it is supposed to do, i.e. freezes requiring power-cycling to get back to functioning.

An Issue is when it doesn't do what You think it should do, which is an entirely different kettle of fish. For example, taking away Native format support is an issue, but the way the new code works has a couple of bugs.

I keep reading about a lot of issues here, but rather few bugs...
Old 01-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #59
sbiller

New feature - White Plus Icon

Per Margret, the White Plus icon is for:

Quote:
A show/movie that is available from a source or channel you have unchecked. So, it may be available on TV, but only on a channel you don't have checked (in the Channel List), or it may be available from a video provider you have unchecked (in the Video Provider List).

We wanted you to know there is *some* way to get the show/movie, but we didn't want to put a logo in front of you for a provider you said you didn't want.
Very cool!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #60
aaronwt
HD Addict

MRS seems to be working very well. I haven't tried it's limits yet though(Before when it was activated if I tried a ninth read/write stream on Elite- seven on non Elite(including recordings, downloads, and local viewing) with the hard drive it would reboot)

But I did have on my XL two recordings, two streams going out to other premieres and one stream coming into my XL working with no issues. It was just like watching the content locally.
Although it is still jarring going from the normal HD screen with the preview screen in the corner to the Now playing list of the other box with no preview screen.

If I get a chance tonight I'll try seven streams on my XL and nine streams on my Elite to see if it still reboots like before. Hopefully it should only allow what it can handle to prevent a reboot. It depends on what I have set to record tonight.