TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #541
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Confirmed. I tuned to live TV to make sure captions were present and working and recorded a 2 minute clip and transferred to my PC.
I then used pyTivo to transfer back the .TiVo file and verified TiVo would not display captions for it. I also then decrypted the .TiVo file to .mpg (playing that with VLC showed captions) and transferred back and still no captions displayed. I don't have TiVo Desktop installed to try it there (and don't really want to do that).

i.e. Captions are present in the downloaded file (since VLC was able to show captions), but somehow get dropped when transferring back to TiVo.
FYI. The same 2 minute clip I transferred back to Premiere that did not have captions I transferred to my S3 OLED unit with pyTivo and captions worked fine on that unit. So it's confirmed to be a bug for Series 4 units. Not sure when the bug was introduced exactly but I'm pretty sure it used to work with my Premieres a few months ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #542
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
FYI. The same 2 minute clip I transferred back to Premiere that did not have captions I transferred to my S3 OLED unit with pyTivo and captions worked fine on that unit. So it's confirmed to be a bug for Series 4 units. Not sure when the bug was introduced exactly but I'm pretty sure it used to work with my Premieres a few months ago.
Thanks for the info. I will consider it a 20.2 bug, even if it is 14.9
Old 03-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #543
squint

Shows that I downloaded to my PC to edit out the commercials and then sent back to my Premiere had captions months ago but when I play them now, the captions do not appear. When I transfer the shows from the Premiere to the Tivo HD, the captions work on the Tivo HD. I've only noticed this problem recently.

Edit: I should mention that the Premiere is connected via HDMI while the HD is using composite cables due to the HDMI port breaking.

Last edited by squint : 03-01-2012 at 02:48 PM.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #544
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The info window will sit there for N seconds (I've never measured this)
It turns out to be about 15 seconds, BTW.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #545
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Not sure if this belongs here, but I thought I would document it, to see if the next TiVo software release does in deed fix the issue. There's no way to know if prior versions had the same issue, because the MPEG4 channels were launched around the same time as 20.2.

SW Vers 20.2 does not currently support the authorization or authentication of MPEG4 (H.264) format video currently being broadcast by Cox in Northern VA and Arizona. Both Cox markets are Cisco and use Tuning Adapters which possibly were variables in the issue.

Margret Schmidt has confirmed that TiVo sent Cox a "fix" to test and Cox confirmed the "fix" worked, and that it would most likely be included in the next update. She did not know exactly what the problem was, only that a TiVo software fix resolves the issue.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #546
Loquitur

I have a Premiere hooked up to a bedroom TV via component and to a TV in an adjoining room with a treadmill via an HDMI wireless transmitter. This worked fine until I got the 20.2 software when all of a sudden, I got an error message when turning on the bedroom TV. I had to pull the HDMI cable out of the transmitter in order to watch the TV with the component connection. But after a couple of weeks, I forgot to pull the HDMI cable out one day and I discovered it all started working again. I can now watch the bedroom TV with the component connection with the HDMI cable hooked into the HDMI wireless transmitter. Don't know whether this was a bug or not but I am very pleasantly surprised.
Susan
Loquitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #547
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquitur View Post
I have a Premiere hooked up to a bedroom TV via component and to a TV in an adjoining room with a treadmill via an HDMI wireless transmitter. This worked fine until I got the 20.2 software when all of a sudden, I got an error message when turning on the bedroom TV. I had to pull the HDMI cable out of the transmitter in order to watch the TV with the component connection. But after a couple of weeks, I forgot to pull the HDMI cable out one day and I discovered it all started working again. I can now watch the bedroom TV with the component connection with the HDMI cable hooked into the HDMI wireless transmitter. Don't know whether this was a bug or not but I am very pleasantly surprised.
Susan
The TiVos I've had in my bedroom, a TiVoHD and now a Premiere have always behaved this way.
In my situation it behaved this way if I put the TV on a different input than the TiVo HDMI input. If I did that, I couldn't get an output from component or composite because of copy protection. At least that is the message that always popped up. If I left the TV on the TiVo HDMI input when turning it off then it was fine.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #548
WillH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
My premiere crashed last night. Was 30 sec skip forwarding through some commercials, screen froze, and then the unit did a hard reboot. 15 minutes later it was back up, played the same show again without problems. Interface was very slow and the nav bar was empty (blacked out) for about 1/2 hour.

First time in a long while that it has crashed like this. Used to do this a lot and it seemed to happen when the Tivo network was slow or having issues.

Looks like they still have the unit keyed to the dynamic content they pull from their servers without using caching or other speed up techniques.
Another crash today.......Just watching a golf recording. Wasn't using the remote or anything. Just playing Doral golf tourney back and it froze for a few seconds and then it rebooted by itself. Something with the new software - it hasn't behaved like this (crashing) since 2010. Thinking about starting a new thread about the crashing to see if others are having the same issue.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #549
lpwcomp

Looks like the HDUI DST problem has been fixed.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #550
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Looks like the HDUI DST problem has been fixed.
Has anyone noticed that the TCF seems to have a DST problem?

Old 03-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #551
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

My new Elite outputs audio in PCM regardless of the Audio menu setting. Is this a known bug or hardware problem?
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #552
Innerloop

I thought it would be possible to discover a new feature after this long, but i think I noticed one not listed here yet --

If you go backward in time in the HDUI Guide, programs that are in the past (ended already) are shown slightly darker/greyed out compared to shows that are in progress or still to begin.

Minor, but a nice touch that makes it easier to differentiate where you are in the guide limetine.
Innerloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #553
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innerloop View Post
I thought it would be possible to discover a new feature after this long, but i think I noticed one not listed here yet --

If you go backward in time in the HDUI Guide, programs that are in the past (ended already) are shown slightly darker/greyed out compared to shows that are in progress or still to begin.

Minor, but a nice touch that makes it easier to differentiate where you are in the guide limetine.
Interesting. Can anyone else confirm this is new behavior in the new 20.2 guide that did not exist in the older guide? (Remember, I never could tolerate the HDUI until 20.2)
Old 03-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #554
ghuido

Anybody else report Netflix crashing causing TiVo reboot. Since 20.2 it crashed twice streaming Netflix.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #555
Lars_J

I have had two issues with 20.2 recently.

- SD-UI related: I have parental controls setup, but sometimes when starting to watch protected content I get a black screen, but no prompt for password. The only way to actually view it is to go into settings/parental controls and temporarily disable parental controls.

- Netflix: Sometimes when watching HD content (at least that's the only time I've seen this) the Netflix 'app' will crash. Before this could reboot the machine - But since 20.2, this will jsut kill the Netflix 'app' and return me to the previous Tivo screen. HOWEVER - I cannot get back into Netflix, it just boots me out again. Rebooting the TiVo is the only way of solving this.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #556
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars_J View Post
- Netflix: Sometimes when watching HD content (at least that's the only time I've seen this) the Netflix 'app' will crash. Before this could reboot the machine - But since 20.2, this will jsut kill the Netflix 'app' and return me to the previous Tivo screen. HOWEVER - I cannot get back into Netflix, it just boots me out again. Rebooting the TiVo is the only way of solving this.
Interesting that your post is directly opposite of the previous poster

I don't think we can draw any conclusion. This thread shows people saying it is rock solid, others saying it crashes only, and others saying it can crash and reboot: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=483043
Old 03-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #557
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Interesting. Can anyone else confirm this is new behavior in the new 20.2 guide that did not exist in the older guide? (Remember, I never could tolerate the HDUI until 20.2)
Not seeing it at all. Maybe it's using some text attribute not supported by my TV.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #558
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Quote:
Not seeing it at all. Maybe it's using some text attribute not supported by my TV.
The behavior is only visible in the Grid Guide (not in the Live Guide).

In the HDUI Grid Guide any show prior to the current time has a slightly darker background than the current time slot and future time slots.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #559
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX

In the HDUI Grid Guide any show prior to the current time has a slightly darker background than the current time slot and future time slots.
The HD grid guide is new to 20.2, so that change is probably just part of the new guide.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #560
andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post

I can confirm that shows in the past (in the grid guide) have a darker background than current and future shows.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:52 AM   #561
lpwcomp

Quote:

Ah. That explains it. I don't use the grid guide. I just tried it and, on my TV at least, the background is much darker for times prior to the current time.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #562
ghuido

I thought about this last night, and I could be way off base.

Wondering if hte netflxi crash has anything to do with upconverting the signal to 1080P 24P. I have that on my settings.

Just throwing it out there, could be wrong but crazier things can happen.

For me, I have it set to 1080P 24. I'll set it down to 1080i and see if it becomes stables.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #563
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post
I thought about this last night, and I could be way off base.

Wondering if hte netflxi crash has anything to do with upconverting the signal to 1080P 24P. I have that on my settings.

Just throwing it out there, could be wrong but crazier things can happen.

For me, I have it set to 1080P 24. I'll set it down to 1080i and see if it becomes stables.
Are you talking about the TiVo? It doesn't scale anything to 1080P24. And Netflix only outputs 720P max from Netflix although the Premiere can scale it to 1080i as the max resolution. The Premiere can only pass-thru 1080P24 content.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #564
ghuido

If that is the case, my point is retracted. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #565
lpwcomp

Discovered another annoyance - when you have to force record a show for which you have a season pass, like for instance last night's "House", it doesn't default to the options of the SP. This is when using the HDUI.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #566
L David Matheny

Quote:
Discovered another annoyance - when you have to force record a show for which you have a season pass, like for instance last night's "House", it doesn't default to the options of the SP. This is when using the HDUI.
You mean you're recording an additional episode, right? IOW, not a manual recording. In SDUI, when I select "Record this episode also" my Premiere always picks up the one-minute-early setting from the SP. But I think it might not do that if I just select the quickie "Record this showing" from the guide.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #567
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
You mean you're recording an additional episode, right? IOW, not a manual recording. In SDUI, when I select "Record this episode also" my Premiere always picks up the one-minute-early setting from the SP. But I think it might not do that if I just select the quickie "Record this showing" from the guide.
In this particular case, it was the episode that got delayed by the Daytona 500. The TiVo thought it had already been recorded. And the behavior you describe is what I expected but the HDUI does not do that. There is no "Record this episode also", just "Record this episode" and the default options are the normal options, not those of the season pass.

It's like the HDUI was developed in a semi-vacuum, with little effort made to maintain the same functionality.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #568
b_scott
TiVo Fan

You cannot use channel up and down to skip to the bottom of episode options. I don't know if this is a change...
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #569
spudzola

Software Update

Quote:
Not sure if this belongs here, but I thought I would document it, to see if the next TiVo software release does in deed fix the issue. There's no way to know if prior versions had the same issue, because the MPEG4 channels were launched around the same time as 20.2.

SW Vers 20.2 does not currently support the authorization or authentication of MPEG4 (H.264) format video currently being broadcast by Cox in Northern VA and Arizona. Both Cox markets are Cisco and use Tuning Adapters which possibly were variables in the issue.

Margret Schmidt has confirmed that TiVo sent Cox a "fix" to test and Cox confirmed the "fix" worked, and that it would most likely be included in the next update. She did not know exactly what the problem was, only that a TiVo software fix resolves the issue.
Just got a call today from a "Janice" at Cox-PHX advising that they have tested the new software and the Plus channels now can be viewed. She indicated that the software version was 20.2.1.M4-01-2-746 and was advised by Tivo that it would be available on or about March 31st.
spudzola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #570
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudzola View Post
Just got a call today from a "Janice" at Cox-PHX advising that they have tested the new software and the Plus channels now can be viewed. She indicated that the software version was 20.2.1.M4-01-2-746 and was advised by Tivo that it would be available on or about March 31st.
I received the same call from Janice at Cox, she did mention the March 31st date of availability from TiVo but did not mention a software version number. I find it hard to believe that TiVo would release an update just for this, since there are a very limited number of customers effected. I would expect it in the "spring" update, hope I am wrong.

In a follow-up call from TiVo Level 2 Tech support yesterday regarding this issue, the Tech claimed no knowledge of the update fix. When I mentioned my email from Margret, the Tech said that was above his pay grade???