TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #301
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Hmmm, shows my much my memory is fading already. I think you are right- there was never a stop and delete option in the SDUI. But I also think when you stopped a recording in the SDUI, doesn't it ALWAYS delete it? Or was it that it deleted a suggestion recording in progress but not a scheduled (requested) recording??
No, stopping a recording in SDUI does NOT automatically delete it - I wouldn't want it to ever do that. (Suggestions are first thing I disable on a TiVo so can't comment on those).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #302
mattack

I don't have a Premiere, but isn't there a case where it WILL delete a non-suggestion?

If a show is currently being recorded (or 2, lets say), and you try to record ANOTHER, and it says
"will STOP recording WHATEVER", doesn't it in that case NOT keep the partial recording of WHATEVER?

I do seem to remember there is one edge case like that.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #303
WillH

Not sure if this was reported but I am using my Premiere XL with Comcast here in Atlanta using the 2 tuner cable card. With all previous software from April 2010 through 14.9, if I tried to go to a channel that was not part of my Comcast subscription/lineup, I would get a black screen error message that said, in effect, that I would need to contact my Cable provider. It looked like a sort of old DOS type screen that originated from the Motorola cablecard ROM. In other words, it would throw me completely out of the Tivo menu into some type of computer ROM error message -almost like a crash. The only way to get out of it was to hit the TIVO button on the remote.

Now with 20.2, at least so far, when I have done this, I get the Tivo message that says "Searching for a signal......" and then it eventually says the channel is not available. This I would think would be normal behavior. So this looks to have fixed the issue. ?
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #304
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Not sure if this was reported but I am using my Premiere XL with Comcast here in Atlanta using the 2 tuner cable card. With all previous software from April 2010 through 14.9, if I tried to go to a channel that was not part of my Comcast subscription/lineup, I would get a black screen error message that said, in effect, that I would need to contact my Cable provider. It looked like a sort of old DOS type screen that originated from the Motorola cablecard ROM. In other words, it would throw me completely out of the Tivo menu into some type of computer ROM error message -almost like a crash. The only way to get out of it was to hit the TIVO button on the remote.
I had that issue for the longest time as well but on only 1 of my Premiere units. It turns out the issue was my CableCard was not properly paired so that if I tuned to a copy-protected channel (only premiums are copy protected for my cable company) I would get that screen. Once I called the cable company to get that fixed then I no longer got the CableCard nag screen any longer on that Premiere either.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #305
WillH

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I had that issue for the longest time as well but on only 1 of my Premiere units. It turns out the issue was my CableCard was not properly paired so that if I tuned to a copy-protected channel (only premiums are copy protected for my cable company) I would get that screen. Once I called the cable company to get that fixed then I no longer got the CableCard nag screen any longer on that Premiere either.
Thanks - I will play with this some more. I've only had 20.2 for a few days but the few channels I tried it with, it didn't happen.

Hate the thought of actually contacting Comcast again for help on a cablecard issue.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #306
MikeOrlando

Question FFx3 --> FFx4 Smart Restart / Snap Back

I was disappointed with the last update where I lost the ability to FFx3 and then hit FF a forth time to "smart restart" or "snap back to the start of the show. I had done some research and received mixed results whether this was expected behavior or not.

I was HOPING this would be "fixed" in the 20.2 update, but unfortunately not. Am I to presume this is now expected behaviour?

Mike
MikeOrlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #307
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I have never seen FF behave that way. The old behavior was simply that a fourth FF press would return to Play. This involved a slight rewind as it always does with a TiVo, but not a return to the beginning of the program.

If you want to get quickly to the beginning of the program, hit Rewind, then use the Advance button.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #308
MikeOrlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I have never seen FF behave that way. The old behavior was simply that a fourth FF press would return to Play. This involved a slight rewind as it always does with a TiVo, but not a return to the beginning of the program.

If you want to get quickly to the beginning of the program, hit Rewind, then use the Advance button.

Understood, but the result of that behaviour was "snapping back" a bit and if you did this at the right time it would return to around the time a commercial break ended and the show resumed.

For now you get the same result by hitting play in place of FF a fourth time, but that is just annoying and not the way TiVo has been in the past.
MikeOrlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #309
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOrlando View Post
For now you get the same result by hitting play in place of FF a fourth time, but that is just annoying and not the way TiVo has been in the past.
It's been discussed in many threads now and there was even a poll on the subject. Many people like this new behavior because TiVo doesn't always properly process quick button presses of the remote so before it was too easy to overshoot 3xFF and end back at play speed and then have to press 3 times again to get back to 3xFF. Now you just press FF a bunch of times without having to be precise and can get to 3xFF every time without making a mistake. Ideally TiVo would make this a preference somewhere so people can choose the way they want it, but given a choice I much, much prefer the new behavior and I think TiVo has already mentioned it's here to stay, so get used to it or go back to Series 3 if you really don't like it.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #310
lpwcomp

Just got 20.2 last night and things I have noticed that I don't see in the IP:
(Using the HDUI)

1. Maybe it's just me, but the progress bar appears thinner.

2. First Aired Date has been removed from the "Info" screen.

3. First press of the "Up" arrow immediately changes the resolution rather than displaying the current resolution.

4. Pressing the "Info" button while in the guide brings up the options for the highlghted show.

5. The mini guide is a mini grid guide.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #311
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post

I definitely agree with 1.

2. I think this was just moved up to the banner portion. I swear I saw the original air date on the info screen.

innocentfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #312
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I definitely agree with 1.

2. I think this was just moved up to the banner portion. I swear I saw the original air date on the info screen.
Just so we're clear, I am talking about the "details" (Actors, Producers, Directors, Disk Usage, etc.) screen.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #313
lpwcomp

Quote:
I am sure that has been there forever. You can even do that in the SDUI.
This is not true. It is/was available while watching "live" TV. What is new is that, when using the HD menus, it is now available while watching a previously recorded show, which is what ADG noted.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #314
lpwcomp

The "Live TV" channel/Info banner has "UP NEXT" at the bottom.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #315
arw03
Almost Customer

Very glad I checked in here to see what this was all about. I haven't had issue with my TiVo for a long while, so I haven't had need to return until now. My biggest concern was the guide setup. Previously, I had it set so the guide came up transparent over the airing program. Seemed like less of a hassle. Obviously that option being gone was a bit bothersome.

But, without stopping here, I never would've known about this mini guide thing by pressing Select. Just as effective, I suppose, since my My Channels list isn't terribly long.

Also, it's definitely great that menu transitions are a little smoother and quicker using HDUI.

3.2.2 bothers me a little bit, but not enough to hate this or anything.

Aside from the guide thing, I think the worst part to adjust to is just going to be the font changes. Everything looks smaller, but it does seem a little more crisp, so shouldn't be much of a problem.
arw03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #316
sbiller

Superb video walkthrough of 20.2

This TCF reader did a great job walking through the complete UI. His commentary is pretty good as well!

20.2 Video Walkthrough

I'm not sure I've seen the lack of HD labels in the guide mentioned as a change (negative).
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #317
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
This is not true. It is/was available while watching "live" TV. What is new is that, when using the HD menus, it is now available while watching a previously recorded show, which is what ADG noted.
You need to quote more of what you were replying to, since I don't know what you are referencing...
Old 01-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #318
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
The "Live TV" channel/Info banner has "UP NEXT" at the bottom.
Good catch. Added as 3.1.3.3
Old 01-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #319
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Just got 20.2 last night and things I have noticed that I don't see in the IP: (Using the HDUI)

Added to 3.1.10

Quote:
Need more info/confirmation. I do not see a first aired date on anything, but I do not know if that is something new...

Quote:
3. First press of the "Up" arrow immediately changes the resolution rather than displaying the current resolution.
Added as 3.1.17

Quote:
4. Pressing the "Info" button while in the guide brings up the options for the highlghted show.
Added as 3.1.2.8

Quote:
5. The mini guide is a mini grid guide.
Edited 3.1.14
Old 01-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #320
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
I don't recall that with the previous software I could watch a recorded show and bring up the info bar and see what is being recorded on the other channels, but now I can. Nice feature. And if it DID exist before I guess I missed it.
Quote:
I am sure that has been there forever. You can even do that in the SDUI.
Quote:
Quote:
You need to quote more of what you were replying to, since I don't know what you are referencing...
Does this help, I listed the comments and responses in order.

Prior to 20.2 and in the current SDUI the Info Bar does not list the current tuner positions, while playing back a recording.
Listing Tuners in the Info Bar during playback is a New item with 20.2 HDUI.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #321
WillH

I would just like to say that the 20.2 is a HUGE step in the right direction. I have only had it for a few days and in my opinion, this is the firmware we should have had all along.

I have put up with the buggy software since the Premiere came out in April 2010 and have hung in there thinking they would eventually fix things. However, the past year or so I was of the opinion change was going to be slow at best. Tivo didn't seem to care. They certainly weren't on top of things telling us positive things were about to come. Introducing the 4 tuner Premiere seemed odd since the software was still incomplete.

It really is too bad that this software is only now coming out because I am sure there are thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of Premieres that have been returned to retailers due to the buggy and incomplete software.

It is also a good thing that the box hardware has been relatively troublefree - if they had massive hardware AND software issues, who knows where we would be now.

The latest version gives me reason to believe Tivo will continue to work on this software in a big way and we might even see V30.X pretty soon too. We can only guess what may be in store.

Thanks to TIVO for finally making a big step forward here. I may now be able to recommend the Premiere to others.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #322
jimerb

This post is excellent.

I just tried going back to the high def menus and within 10 minutes I crashed the TiVo. I had a group of shows and from the parent folder I displayed upcoming shows. A blank pop up appeared and then it crashed back to the thx menu.

Sigh.... I've never seen my TiVo so buggy in the 10 years I've had one.
jimerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #323
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Does this help, I listed the comments and responses in order.

Prior to 20.2 and in the current SDUI the Info Bar does not list the current tuner positions, while playing back a recording.
Listing Tuners in the Info Bar during playback is a New item with 20.2 HDUI.
Thanks, I misunderstood and that cleared helped tremendously.

Added 3.1.3.4
Old 01-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #324
btwyx
Substantive Member

We just got 20.2, we seem to be late to the party. What I don't like, and no one seems to have commented on this, is that when I start playing a show (or go to live TV) the medium banner comes up. It used to be I'd get the large banner, now if I want that I have to hit the info button as well. This is a negative.

I can't say I like the new look of the SDUI, it looks like a cartoon.

I don't like the new guide, I liked the old semi transparent one.

I'm not fond of the subtitles on the suggestions bar, they just look dorky.

They seem to have fixed the bug where 480i programs weren't being played in 480p. (I have 480p, 720p, 1080i selected, I want 480i played as 480p and everything else in its native resolution. Previously on the elite it'd play 480i as 1080i, which my display can't zoom.)

When I got the upgrade, it reverted my preference for not showing the video window in the menus.

Notes:

I suppose the medium banner should now be called the small banner as the small banner is no more.

I know that it used to be the banner that came up was the one (small, medium, large) you'd selected. I've always selected the large banner.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:41 AM   #325
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
3.1.17 Pressing the up arrow during playback shows the current resolution and changes resolution on the first press, where before it just displayed it and required additional presses to change. (Not necessarily a positive, although it requires less key presses).
It doesn't do that on my Elite, it works the way it always did. One press brings up the resolution, further presses change the resolution.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:48 AM   #326
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx View Post
It doesn't do that on my Elite, it works the way it always did. One press brings up the resolution, further presses change the resolution.
+1 on Premiere units. First up press shows current res, further up presses toggles among the choices you set just as always.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:54 AM   #327
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but the size given in the extended info (select program from NPL, then Info) is low, by a factor of a hundred. This is with the SDUI -- the HDUI displays it correctly.

Also, some corrections, at least insofar as these two are based on my reports, as I think they are:

Quote:
1.2.5 There are some metadata issues with programs transferred via network to the TiVo. Further, there are some reports of failure of the TiVo to accept a push back of a program pulled off of it, even in a .TiVo format file.
It's the metadata which doesn't get pushed back. The program itself is still accepted.

The exact nature of the bug is that what I call the "extended metadata" -- which is the metadata that's only conveyed via a TiVoVideoDetails request, or the equivalent data in a .TiVo file -- is being completely ignored. Only the basic metadata from a QueryContainer request is being copied.

The extended metadata is not displayed while browsing network shares, either, except with actual TiVos -- surprisingly, it does appear there. But it still is not transferred via MRV. (I had mentioned earlier that it appeared to work TiVo-to-TiVo, but I can now clarify that that's only while browsing. Of course MRV transfers have left out metadata for some time, and even computer-to-TiVo transfers had already been missing some fields, except with .TiVo files. But the loss is much more complete now, and .TiVo files don't help.)

Quote:
1.2.6 HME (Home Media Engine SDK) programs using Bview transparency can lead to incorrect text display or even crashing of the Premiere. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=8908963
It's not limited to "Bview" transparency; that's just what moyekj first noticed. Bviews are a Bananas thing. This bug shows up even with an HME for Python app, which doesn't use Bananas or the Java SDK at all. I haven't fully characterized the bug yet, though.

Also, I have no real reason to assume that the crash (only one, so far) was related to the transparency bug. I would just note this as a separate entry, something like "HME apps can completely crash the TiVo." So far, I haven't reproduced it, but even once was bad.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 01-27-2012 at 03:14 AM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #328
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
+1 on Premiere units. First up press shows current res, further up presses toggles among the choices you set just as always.
Just tried it again and now it works as before - first press displays current resolution. I know I tried it multiple times before reporting it. Maybe my Premiere hates me.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #329
lpwcomp

It is possible to cancel a recording other than the "next" recording when using the HD menus w/o going to the to-do list: Guide->Select show->Season Pass & other options->Upcoming->Select showing you want to cancel->Cancel this recording.

I think the difference in the way it used to work and still works in the SD menus is that now when you you select a showing that is not the next showing, you are given a generic description and the option to modify the next recording. The first three steps were always necessary. "Clear" from the guide never canceled a recording.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #330
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but the size given in the extended info (select program from NPL, then Info) is low, by a factor of a hundred. This is with the SDUI -- the HDUI displays it correctly.
I noticed this as well. I only use SDUI. My pushes mp4 files are small, but not the 0.00 GB that is reported.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote