Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #271
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE View Post
I noticed something the other day that may or may not be a version 20 change.

When performing a wishlist search, they limit the number of matching items (300 I think).

For example, I have a wishlist for "Movies, (2010) * (2011) * (2012)". I like to check it now and then to see what newer movies are airing in the next couple of weeks. However, when I looked at it the other day I noticed that the list only included airings for the next three days! I looked at the guide and there was guide data for ~2 weeks, but only 3 days worth of movies were listed for the wish list.

Doing a quick flip through the list, I think the number of entries was ~300, so I don't know if they set that to be the maximum number of search results allowed. Also, I'm not sure if this was necessarily changed for version 20.2, but I never noticed it before then so I'm suspecting it was.

Can anyone verify whether this has been changed or if it has always had a limit?
I may be confused or not reading this correctly, but in the first bolded (my bold) statement, you refer to "matching items". In the second bolded entry, you refer to "number of entries", then "search results allowed".

Are you referring to number of WL or number of results?

There has always been a 200 cap on the number of results displayed from a WL search. This goes back to antiquity. As far as number of WL allowed, I can't answer. I have around 60-70. Have had as many as 80-90 in the past. Never hit a limit, but I'm not in the triple digits either. There were times in the past I hit the 200 cap on displays. I haven't had that problem lately. Either they raised it (300?), or the Boolean tweaks I added to many WL have helped.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #272
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I have an issue during rebooting now too. When the final boot screen loads it is only the upper left corner of the screen, but displays the full boot screen in that upper 1/4 of the display. Very Odd.
Removing 480i from the Video Output Formats resolved this. But 480i upscaled to 1080i is not pretty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #273
jkudlacz

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
I just got the update on my Premiere tonight. Overall I like it pretty well (I hated the SD guide), but one thing that's bothering me and I don't see listed in the changelog is that it no longer displays "HD" in the grid guide for HD shows? Or maybe this is a bug like the "new" tags disappearing? I have no "HD" displays on the grid guide - I have to look at the info for a show. For me this is really annoying because I basically just won't watch a show if it's not HD, and some networks (like Food Network) do have shows that could be either HD or SD depending on when they were filmed (and the SD versions are stretched). So I need to click around all over the guide to figure out what I can actually watch.

Also, since it seems like we're just generally commenting on stuff, I must be the only one who *liked* the Discovery Bar the way it was... it's really disappointing to me to have only four things in it now. I actually did use this the way TiVo intended - to find stuff to watch that I might not have thought of before - though even still, it only had maybe a 10% "hit rate" with me. But with only four items in it, it's now basically useless - there just aren't enough items in it to make it worth even glancing at now, because the chances of any particular one of them being something I want to watch are very low.

These are the only two big complaints I have. One more minor complaint is that the left arrow button seems to *rarely* work on any screen in this release, and I guess I'd gotten into the habit of using that to "back out" of pretty much anywhere I happened to be. I'm having to re-learn how to get around. The "HD" display thing seems like a bug so I'm hoping that just gets fixed somehow.
You can get 6 suggestion windows if you choose to close the Video window in top right corner.
jkudlacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #274
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Yes I do notice that too. Reboot now takes longer also. 5+ minutes now

I have an issue during rebooting now too. When the final boot screen loads it is only the upper left corner of the screen, but displays the full boot screen in that upper 1/4 of the display. Very Odd.
Curious- why are you rebooting?
Old 01-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #275
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
has anyone other than me noticed that the hd menu system seems to have gotten slower and slower the further away from the update we travel? it's such a subtle and incremental thing i barely noticed it for days until the lag time started accumulating enough to be noticeable. i'd estimate the hd menus are perhaps 15-20% less responsive than the few days after the update was loaded.
I have not noticed that myself, but I did start getting the mysterious, blue, spinning, wait circles that people had complained about in the past. Have never seen them before (ever) before yesterday. They seem to appear at random. Of course, this is the longest I have ever used the HDUI. I have had to switch back and forth from HDUI to SDUI several times over the last few weeks when attempting to verify things for the changelog. But I have never rebooted.

I am still able to tolerate the HDUI, which is still very unusual behavior for me.....
Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #276
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I am still able to tolerate the HDUI, which is still very unusual behavior for me.....
You have more tolerance than me. I threw in the towel after about 10 days and went back to the good 'ole SDUI. Especially now that the "stops responding to remote control" SDUI bug seems to be history I can't find any good reason to put up with HDUI.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #277
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You have more tolerance than me. I threw in the towel after about 10 days and went back to the good 'ole SDUI. Especially now that the "stops responding to remote control" SDUI bug seems to be history I can't find any good reason to put up with HDUI.
It's purrrrrdy
Old 01-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #278
compnurd

Quote:
It's purrrrrdy
yup lol
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #279
WillH

Quote:
I have not noticed that myself, but I did start getting the mysterious, blue, spinning, wait circles that people had complained about in the past. Have never seen them before (ever) before yesterday. They seem to appear at random. Of course, this is the longest I have ever used the HDUI. I have had to switch back and forth from HDUI to SDUI several times over the last few weeks when attempting to verify things for the changelog. But I have never rebooted.

The "spinning circle" used to be a solid green donut and the green color would vary in brightness indicating a "spin" effect. So far, I have not seen the spinning green circle with 20.2 but I have seen a new blue "starburst" type spinning circle. The times I have seen it, it was very brief and so far, it hasn't "hung" like the spinning green circle.

Also, I seem to remember the discovery bar was visible on the guide and Tivo Central but not sure. If they did in fact drop it from the guide, this is a step forward.

HDUI does seem a bit faster but deletes still seem to take forever.

EDIT: This may have been mentioned before but just like all previous versions, when you are playing a show that was recording and attempt to delete it (while watching it), it will ask you if you want to STOP and then DELETE but it not only takes forever to accomplish the task, it sometimes will not delete the show - it will still remain in My Shows.

Last edited by WillH : 01-24-2012 at 07:08 PM.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #280
Lars_J

Yay... I have not been following the site, so it was a pleasant surprise to turn on the TV to see a new release. It just looked different.

As an SDUI user I like the cleaner more consistent UI. I would love to try the HDUI, but as a parent of young school kids I need to have parental controls enabled. I'm already looking forward to the next major release, since that has been promised as part of it.

I have noticed a few things in 20.2: (again, these are SDUI)

- After playing a Youtube video, the TiVo menu navigation stops making the typical 'blip blip' TiVo sound. And the menu sound doesn't come back until I play a DVRed recording. (I did see this on the previous release as well)

- A navigation change, when I use the 'find program'(?) search, and then select a show, it now goes directly to a list of upcoming airings, instead of the menu where I can add a season pass. Right now I have to select an airing to get the option to add a season pass. Not a major issue, but slightly annoying to have an extra step.

- Also... Youtube playback is *still* limited to 360p/480p quality. Why not 1080p?

Last edited by Lars_J : 01-24-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Lars_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #281
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars_J View Post
I would love to try the HDUI, but as a parent of young school kids I need to have parental controls enabled. I'm already looking forward to the next major release, since that has been promised as part of it.
I think Kidzone will not make it to the HDUI but TiVo does appear to be bringing some type of parental controls which is always a good thing.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #282
jkudlacz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
The "spinning circle" used to be a solid green donut and the green color would vary in brightness indicating a "spin" effect. So far, I have not seen the spinning green circle with 20.2 but I have seen a new blue "starburst" type spinning circle. The times I have seen it, it was very brief and so far, it hasn't "hung" like the spinning green circle.

Also, I seem to remember the discovery bar was visible on the guide and Tivo Central but not sure. If they did in fact drop it from the guide, this is a step forward.

HDUI does seem a bit faster but deletes still seem to take forever.
In relation to Delete issue I think I found an issue.

Australian Open was on ESPN yesterday, so I decided to hit red rec button and record the show/games and I added extra 1 hour to it.

I switched to different channel and then watched some Seinfeld that we had previously recorded from My Shows, after watching it, I noticed that Australian Open is still recording but player I wanted to see lost her match so I was no longer interested. I decided to delete the show. I was successful at it, or at least it seemed that way. Yesterday I went to My Shows and I saw the Australian Open recording in there, I deleted it again, and this morning it is still there.

I am not sure if I am stuck with it forever now, or if it will eventually go away, but this is a bug. I may have triggered it by trying to delete it while it was still recording but I am not sure.

EDIT: I tried to remove it again last night and it worked this time.

Last edited by jkudlacz : 01-25-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #283
miadlor

Sorry if any of this has been stated.

Guide and banner are nice.
Banner is redundant when it displays the channel you're on.

As far as the settings/menu screens that were SD, no improvement worth mentioning. If everything was accessed/looked like the main screen and now guide, it would be real nice.

Still waiting for Streaming is odd.

The channel surfing issue.....when the info would flicker back and forth between channels and not match the show for a moment, is better.

Now when if gets confused, it occasionally lists the same info 2x, but it does show the actual show listed.
miadlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #284
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
I have seen a new blue "starburst" type spinning circle.
Yes, that is what I was talking about

Quote:
The times I have seen it, it was very brief and so far, it hasn't "hung" like the spinning green circle.
Sometimes it is brief, other times it was several seconds. Hasn't happened today, though (nor any day before yesterday).
Old 01-24-2012, 11:38 PM   #285
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Curious- why are you rebooting?
I usually reboot at least once a week for most all electronics and computers, DVRs STBs, TAs

However, over the last several days, Cox has been attempting to Authorize the Plus Package channels on my TiVo, without success, so I have been rebooting after each attempt by cox to try something else!!!!!!!!! Cox is so lame at CableCARDS it is embarassing.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #286
bhoch99

MRS _from_ Premiere to Series 3

Has anyone tried to stream via MRS from a Premiere to a Series 3? I have a Premiere and a Series 3 both w/lifetime, but the Series 3 has a dead disk. I would love to be able to repair it and stream from the Premiere to the Series 3, but don't want to make the investment if it's not going to work. I'm a Time Warner subscriber, so MRV doesn't work with many programs thanks to all these CCI bytes... It's either that, or wait for a Tivo Preview...
bhoch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #287
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It's not going to work. The Series 3 software hasn't been updated since 11.0k, and TiVo's MRS didn't exist at that time.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #288
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

New BUG - click a show to record, cant click same show to delete recording

You go into guide

Click a show, select record

Go in guide, see show marked to record. Click it, you are preseented with 'record' or 'explore'. No 'Cancel recording'

To cancel, you go to todo list and cancel.

Shouldn't there be a canel recording, instead of 'record' on the 2nd click like explained?
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #289
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
You go into guide

Click a show, select record

Go in guide, see show marked to record. Click it, you are preseented with 'record' or 'explore'. No 'Cancel recording'

To cancel, you go to todo list and cancel.

Shouldn't there be a canel recording, instead of 'record' on the 2nd click like explained?

already listed in the changelog, 3.2.1.6
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #290
Necromancer2006

Yuck. Who do I send a request for the (future) option of having the live TV window be disabled? I hate having shows spoiled!
Necromancer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #291
fastoy

Related to 3.1.10 when you use the 30 second jump button on the remote the shuttle/progress bar indicates "30 secs", "1 min", "1 m 30 s", etc. rather than ":30", "1:00", "1:30", etc.

I would consider this a negative as the eye takes longer to interpret the new format than the old format.
fastoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #292
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I may be confused or not reading this correctly, but in the first bolded (my bold) statement, you refer to "matching items". In the second bolded entry, you refer to "number of entries", then "search results allowed".

Are you referring to number of WL or number of results?

There has always been a 200 cap on the number of results displayed from a WL search. This goes back to antiquity.
I'm referring to the number of results displayed for a single wishlist. I'm pretty sure the 200 result cap was removed a year or two ago, but now it seems to be back (and perhaps now 300).
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #293
John Cavanaugh

UI locks up when trying to queue second transfer from PC to Tivo

Got 20.2 last night. I don't know if this issue existed before 20.2 as I hadn't tried it - so sorry if this is a known issue.

Had a program stored on my PC that I wanted to transfer back to the Tivo. Followed the menus and told the Tivo to transfer it, blue light came on, transfer started. Went back to the list of programs on the PC and selected another one for transfer. Got to the "this program will be added to the queue and transferred next" screen, hit ok and the UI locked up. At this point, the transfer of the first program was still running. The Tivo started recording something else after the UI lock up so I know that it was still working - and I can see the Tivo from my iphone/ipad (Tivo app) so I know it's still there - but the UI is locked at that screen. I can see that the Tivo is receiving the commands from the remote (yellow light on Tivo) but nothing I hit on the remote does anything to get me off that screen.

Turned the TV off and did something else for a while. Noticed that the blue light had gone out on the Tivo so I turned the TV back on - and the UI was still locked up.

Came back a while later and both programs had transferred and the UI was functional again. Went through the whole process again and had the same result (UI lock ups followed by both programs transferring followed by UI coming back).

This isn't a huge deal as i'm not normally going to be queuing up multiple programs to pull back down to the Tivo but the UI shouldn't lock up.

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks.
John Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #294
jkudlacz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer2006 View Post
Yuck. Who do I send a request for the (future) option of having the live TV window be disabled? I hate having shows spoiled!
Just use Pause that is why it is there. Also you can disable it by pressing button below pause when you are using TIVO HD menus.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #295
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
It's not going to work. The Series 3 software hasn't been updated since 11.0k, and TiVo's MRS didn't exist at that time.
I asked Margret about the possibility:

@tivodesign Is there a chance we might see a Tivo Streaming Client (and a remote delete function) on the TivoHD box ?
17 Jan
in reply to ↑

@shamilian No, I don't expect any significant updates to the Series3/HD boxes.
17 Jan via web
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #296
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkudlacz View Post
Just use Pause that is why it is there. Also you can disable it by pressing button below pause when you are using TIVO HD menus.
That only works in the non-guide.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #297
rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
[couple of nits: I think you mean CAPTIONS, not subtitles. And it's usually referred to as 1XFF, meaning it's the first of the three FF. 3X usually refers to the fastest FF. And yes, I know that 1XFF is about 3x the speed.]

This would be a HUGE backward shift for me. I watch 100% captions (I'm deaf) anyway. And I often will watch at 1XFF thru news shows and whatnot, using captions to keep up with what's being reported. If this is true, giant GIANT step backwards.

Unfortunately, I have been away for a week, and have missed the 20.2 rollout. No way to tell if I got it, or to validate any of these things I've been reading about for several days. I'm just hoping (if my Elite rec'd it) that it went with no trouble--no lockups, etc. I've got days & days of recordings set while I'm away.
OMG this is HUGE for me too........I ALWAYS used this to get thru shows quicker. Who can I complain to at Tivo?
rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #298
moyekj

CORRECTION: "4.4 There are still times when "Stop and Delete" in both HDUI and SDUI will stop the program recording but will not delete the program."

Now that I've switched back to SDUI permanently again - there is no "Stop and Delete" option when using SDUI. That option is only available in HDUI. Back when using HDUI that option didn't work for me most of the time anyway so I still delete the old way of first stopping and then deleting (using clear button).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #299
WillH

Quote:
CORRECTION: "4.4 There are still times when "Stop and Delete" in both HDUI and SDUI will stop the program recording but will not delete the program."

Now that I've switched back to SDUI permanently again - there is no "Stop and Delete" option when using SDUI. That option is only available in HDUI. Back when using HDUI that option didn't work for me most of the time anyway so I still delete the old way of first stopping and then deleting (using clear button).
Yes - this is what I posted about last night. AFAIK, this feature has never worked right for my unit which I have owned since Day 1 (April 2010). Even when I successfully delete it, it will take several seconds for it to actually disappear from the My Shows menu - it will appear as an X beside the show and then it will disappear. Sometimes it happens instantaneously but other times it will hang there a while. This still happens with 20.2 - same exact behavior as with all previouse firmware updates. This was when I used to see the spinning green circle hanging there and freezing the player for long periods.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #300
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:

Hmmm, shows my much my memory is fading already. I think you are right- there was never a stop and delete option in the SDUI. But I also think when you stopped a recording in the SDUI, doesn't it ALWAYS delete it? Or was it that it deleted a suggestion recording in progress but not a scheduled (requested) recording??