TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
compnurd

Version 20.2 Future Changes

Since we know someone is listening to us now

I would like to see in the new guide, if it could show an HD icon to let you know the show is in HD.

Otherwise i am very happy with everything else so far. Last couple of months have been some huge leaps i think for the premiere
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

I don't have the update yet, and don't use the HDUI.... but from the other threads, I will add:

* Give the user the ability to turn off the discovery bar
* Give the user the ability to turn off live TV in the guide
* Take the seconds display off the clock (since it is not really needed, and distracting to some)

I assume you don't want ALL types of suggestions for changes. If so, my list would easily fill two or more pages. I will assume you mean changes that relate to the things introduced in ver 20.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
sbiller

Here are the items that were speculated about and not included in the update.

1. Finish all HD screens (sbiller, smbaker, DrewG5, innocentfreak)
  2. HD Netflix User Experience (Ux) with queue management, subtitles, surround sound, 1080p, see what's HD
  3. HD Amazon Instant Ux with Prime Streaming Support
  4. HD YouTube Ux, 720p and 1080p, improved management of user ID
  5. Multiple User Profile Support for My Shows, Season Passes, Suggestions, etc.
  6. Twitter integration
  7. Facebook integration
  8. Android 2nd Screen App for larger tablets
  9. Vudu Support
  10. HDUI Parental Controls
  11. Screen Saver for paused recordings
  12. Longer/Selectable Live TV Buffer
  13. Improved Conflict Management (conflicts show in ToDo List with ability to change priority for one showing)
  14. Auto Padding when Tuner Available (time selectable)
  15. Overlapping padding when Tuner does not change channels
  16. Cooperative Scheduling between 2 Premieres
  17. Get Glue Social Integration
  18. HME App store leveraging remote servers, not local PCs
  19. Chumby Apps
  20. TiVo Suggestions Grouping to improve management of TiVo suggestions
  21. User defined folders for My Shows
  22. Streaming network test that tests the local network to determine streaming support levels

sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
tomm1079

I personally just want to see these things:
-Cooperative Scheduling between multiple Premieres - Put all season passes on one box and it schedules it on the box that has a free tuner always leaving a tuner available to watch live TV on the other boxes (if possible). Hell even allow you to put what Tivo you would like to record to and it always records their if possible..else somewhere else
-Once streaming is enabled a single My Shows list that we can turn on/off

Basically turn tivo into a whole home dvr solution
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm1079 View Post
I personally just want to see these things:
-Cooperative Scheduling between multiple Premieres - Put all season passes on one box and it schedules it on the box that has a free tuner always leaving a tuner available to watch live TV on the other boxes (if possible). Hell even allow you to put what Tivo you would like to record to and it always records their if possible..else somewhere else
-Once streaming is enabled a single My Shows list that we can turn on/off

Basically turn tivo into a whole home dvr solution
I think the Preview is the solution they're moving towards here. Coop scheduling and a unified NPL seems like it'd be a very significant engineering task

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
JosephB

I'd like to see some additional video sources, primarily ESPN3, EPIX, and HBO GO. But, if AppleTV and Roku have it, they should put it on their wish list (ranking by popularity of course, Roku has a ton of junk on it)

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini

Last edited by JosephB : 01-07-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
I think the Preview is the solution they're moving towards here. Coop scheduling and a unified NPL seems like it'd be a very significant engineering task
Agree completely. I don't expect coop scheduling or unified NPL any time in the future. They are moving towards the one-box whole-home DVR with multiple extenders.

This is what they view as the sweet spot for the retail and cable operator market. I tend to agree with them.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I don't have the update yet, and don't use the HDUI.... but from the other threads, I will add:

* Give the user the ability to turn off the discovery bar
* Give the user the ability to turn off live TV in the guide
- The discovery bar isn't going away. It is here to stay unless the redesign the entire UI which isn't happening on the S4 platform.
- Live tv has always been visible with the guide. I don't see what the point of removing it would be.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
- The discovery bar isn't going away. It is here to stay unless the redesign the entire UI which isn't happening on the S4 platform.
- Live tv has always been visible with the guide. I don't see what the point of removing it would be.
Which is also why I never use the guide and it is worthless to me. If you are watching live TV and hit Guide, fine keep the spoiler window running what I am watching. If I am watching a recording and hit the Guide, fine keep the spoiler window showing what I am watching. If I am in the menus though and I have the spoiler window turned off, don't display anything or display a discovery box showing popular shows on now. Otherwise to possibly avoid spoiling a current recording I have to pick a show from My Shows just to watch so I can use the guide.

While we are at it with the guide, I would say give us more options. Bring back filters. Add the option to add indicators, filter, or colorcode shows that won't record due to conflict if no other airing will record, shows which you have a season pass for, shows which are on the suggestion list, shows in HD, etc.

I must say I prefer the old Discovery Bar so again I would love to see the option added to select which version you prefer. At the very least I would love to be able to disable the labels. The new TiVo screens are very dull since the pictures are nowhere near as bright and colorful with the labels now. Also with the new Discovery Bar you can no longer rate the items. You have to actually select the show and even then when it is on the Discovery Bar it doesn't show whether it has a thumbs up or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
SafariKC
My TiVo reboots alot

How often is something "spoiler" showing in the live tv preview window for you? I don't watch a lot of live tv - But I have noticed if there is something spoilery showing I can hit pause on the remote at at least stop it.

That being said - I do find it a little odd that it doesn't support the same preference setting not to show the window (I have the window off by default myself on TiVo central). Perhaps there is a master plan to change the preview window in general that caused the disconnect between the two screens? Or it's to stop the case of interrupting your watching something to see what's next to watch live. Tricky user story to solve for I assume.

SafariKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
TerpBE
Go Terps!

A couple of things from my wish list:

* Prevent the video window from jumping around (upper corner to full screen then back to upper corner) when performing actions on listings in the guide (record/explore/etc.).

* If FF/Rewinding when you hit guide, continue doing that; don't automatically start playing at the point you hit the button.

* Shift the guide "channel" column a little to the left, so that there's enough room for a full 2.5 hours of guide data. Currently it seems like there's an unnecessary amount of space on the left side.

* Bring back filtering in the guide.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
LoneWolf15
Jedi Pirate Ninja

I haven't seen enough yet to comment except for one thing.

Get broader compatibility for the Android app. My Motorola Droid Bionic is one of the front-line phones, and the app doesn't even list in the Android Market for me --unless I manually enter the URL and find out my phone isn't compatible with it.

That also makes me wonder what owners of other flagship phones (e.g., HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy SII/Galaxy Nexus, Moto Droid RAZR) are experiencing.
LoneWolf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
The android app shows in the market and works on my Galaxy Nexus as well as my OG Droid that I'm now using as a remote... I wonder why it doesn't work on the Bionic - it might be worth opening a case with Tivo.
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_j_derr View Post
The android app shows in the market and works on my Galaxy Nexus as well as my OG Droid that I'm now using as a remote... I wonder why it doesn't work on the Bionic - it might be worth opening a case with Tivo.
Great idea on the OG... was wondering what to do with it after I upgraded to the Nexus.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #15
DCleary

Apps

Quote:
I'd like to see some additional video sources, primarily ESPN3, EPIX, and HBO GO. But, if AppleTV and Roku have it, they should put it on their wish list (ranking by popularity of course, Roku has a ton of junk on it)
+1

I am particularly interested in NHL GameCenter Live and the NFL's app (only on the PS3 for now).
DCleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #16
zowwie85

download the .apk and sideload it...

You can easily sideload the app on any android device... there's a thread in this forum with a link to the actual .apk file. Load that thread from whatever device, download the apk from the thread and install it. I have it working on a Motorola Xoom tablet. :-)
zowwie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
partswiz

I put the app on my android evo and it works great!
partswiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
b_scott
TiVo Fan

You do know you can turn the live window off in the menu, right? It's in settings
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #19
JosephB

Here's another change I'd like to see:

When a tuning adapter is connected, don't seize the whole system until I acknowledge. If there is a power outage and my TiVo and TA reboots or if there's a problem and the TA itself reboots, recordings are lost and nothing happens until you acknowledge the screen.

Remember that I've connected a TA in the past and if I have, ignore the prompts.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #20
Tivogre

Could we see "Sort by original air date" option in program lists?
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #21
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre View Post
Could we see "Sort by original air date" option in program lists?
I would definitely support that or sort by season and episode number.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #22
Tivogre

Oh... And a unified NPL / cooperative scheduler across DVRs would be the KILLER APP for TiVo. No one does this. Want more space / tuners... Just add another Tivo to the collective!!!
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Old 01-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #23
JosephB

Quote:
Oh... And a unified NPL / cooperative scheduler across DVRs would be the KILLER APP for TiVo. No one does this. Want more space / tuners... Just add another Tivo to the collective!!!
This has already been discussed...it's pretty obvious the direction TiVo is heading here is with the Preview and the Elite. If two tuners aren't enough and you want it unified, buy an Elite. if you want everything unified, buy Preview units.

Unified NPLs and cooperative scheduling would take an immense engineering commitment and in the grand scheme of things a small percentage of TiVo customers would use it, and an even smaller percentage would prefer this over a Preview-style server-client setup.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #24
innocentfreak

Quote:
This has already been discussed...it's pretty obvious the direction TiVo is heading here is with the Preview and the Elite. If two tuners aren't enough and you want it unified, buy an Elite. if you want everything unified, buy Preview units.

Unified NPLs and cooperative scheduling would take an immense engineering commitment and in the grand scheme of things a small percentage of TiVo customers would use it, and an even smaller percentage would prefer this over a Preview-style server-client setup.
I can see a unified my shows eventually. It doesn't make any sense until after streaming is completely rolled out and working perfectly. I could see it by the end of the year, but there are other higher priorities.

I agree about cooperative scheduling and don't see it anytime soon if t all.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #25
Tivogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB

I have two Elites already... And 3 Premies... Doesn't mean I don't want a unified NPL for all that content... especially if MRS is really "seamless" when turned on.
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes

Last edited by Tivogre : 01-08-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #26
JosephB

Quote:
I have two Elites already... And 3 Premies... Doesn't mean I don't wand unified NPL for all that content... Especially if MRS is really "seamless" when turned on.
I didn't say that. On the contrary, someone in your position probably wants it more than anybody. However, someone in your position is in the very, very small minority. You have 14 tuners and at least 5TB of storage. the number of TiVo customers with that kind of setup is probably sub-0.5%. Streaming may be "seamless" but integrating the NPLs may not be. You always have to be cautious not to assume too much about TiVo's code. We have no idea how hard or easy making any modifications may be, and TiVo has to prioritize feature development.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #27
Tivogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB

I didn't say that. On the contrary, someone in your position probably wants it more than anybody. However, someone in your position is in the very, very small minority. You have 14 tuners and at least 5TB of storage. the number of TiVo customers with that kind of setup is probably sub-0.5%. Streaming may be "seamless" but integrating the NPLs may not be. You always have to be cautious not to assume too much about TiVo's code. We have no idea how hard or easy making any modifications may be, and TiVo has to prioritize feature development.
10TB of storage... but who's counting?

You seemed to be implying that I wouldn't want / need unified NPL or cooperative scheduling if I bought an Elite. On the contrary... The more tuners / storage one has, the more valuable those features become.
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Old 01-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #28
MrMac1958
TiVo-ed since Dec'01

Built in Support and Set-Up in the Menus for the Wireless "N" Adapters
TiVo HD
3 - Series 3 HD (2 donated to my son + 1 spare)
MrMac1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #29
NGeorge

I'd love to see at least HBO and Showtime to Go apps in the system. Considering most cable operators do not allow On Demand (Comcast is supposed to... sometime), having the ability to log directly in to HBO and Showtime would be great.

Between Hulu and Netflix I feel I don't miss On Demand (I came from DirecTV and loved their selection)--except for the premium channels which Hulu/Netflix do not carry.

BTW, I do love the update--I had DirecTivos since 2001, and it was finally nice to get a Premiere and the HD interface when I went to Comcast--now it feels much more finished!
--Nat
NGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #30
JosephB

Quote:
10TB of storage... but who's counting?

You seemed to be implying that I wouldn't want / need unified NPL or cooperative scheduling if I bought an Elite. On the contrary... The more tuners / storage one has, the more valuable those features become.
oh, no, I was referring to the fact that TiVo's vision for average users who need more than a premiere is to sell them an elite and then previews. you're obviously not an average user