TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2015, 10:10 PM   #1
Idealsol

Cox MLB and NHL Center Ice

I'm a Cox Orange County subscriber.
I am considering dumping the cox dvr for a roamio but need to know if the cablecard will let me view and, importantly, fully record my subscription sports services ( MLB and hockey ). Locally, these are channels 671-684

Some information I've seen would indicate I can tune these stations via cablecard but perhaps only record for 1 1/2 hours

Idealsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:46 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

CableCards allow you to view and record all linear channels, so I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
waynomo
My One Time

Only record for 1.5 hours? Most curious. I'd like to see a link to that to see what they are talking about.

I don't think it would apply in your case.

waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:22 PM   #4
Idealsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Only record for 1.5 hours? Most curious. I'd like to see a link to that to see what they are talking about.

I don't think it would apply in your case.
I would be hard pressed to find a link, but what I saw was talking about PPV, which *might* be how cox technically classifies MLB and center ice. It was PPV's that seemed to have a 1 1/2 hour recording limit

Old 02-26-2015, 12:12 PM   #5
wickerbill

Any reason why you subscribe to the Cox MLB package instead of just getting mlb.tv? TiVo has an app on the DVR that lets you stream the mlb.tv games easily through the TiVo.

wickerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
jamesteixeira

I have NHL Center Ice and Time Warner with a Roamio Plus. The NHL Center Ice channels appears as regular channels that can be recorded for any number of hours. It's just like subscribing to HBO.

jamesteixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
Idealsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerbill View Post
Any reason why you subscribe to the Cox MLB package instead of just getting mlb.tv? TiVo has an app on the DVR that lets you stream the mlb.tv games easily through the TiVo.
Thanks wickerbill

I was considering that option. As I currently don't have a tivo, my first thoughts were just seeing if my current cox subscriptions would work with tivo. Also, I don't think? I can get the NHL Center Ice package except thru cable or satellite

I did get someone at Cox today tell me I can record these sports packages as they are classified as PPV/subscription as opposed to just PPV

Last time I looked at MLB.tv ( years ago ) it wasn't very good, slow and frequent rebuffers even on a decent connection. I assume it must be much better now

Old 02-26-2015, 04:21 PM   #8
Idealsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesteixeira View Post
I have NHL Center Ice and Time Warner with a Roamio Plus. The NHL Center Ice channels appears as regular channels that can be recorded for any number of hours. It's just like subscribing to HBO.
Dallas stars fan?
Thanks for reply, per cox today it appears that cox will work the same way as TW

Old 03-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
wickerbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealsol View Post
Thanks wickerbill

I was considering that option. As I currently don't have a tivo, my first thoughts were just seeing if my current cox subscriptions would work with tivo. Also, I don't think? I can get the NHL Center Ice package except thru cable or satellite

I did get someone at Cox today tell me I can record these sports packages as they are classified as PPV/subscription as opposed to just PPV

Last time I looked at MLB.tv ( years ago ) it wasn't very good, slow and frequent rebuffers even on a decent connection. I assume it must be much better now
MLB.tv works really well for me. I watch a lot of games on it with rare problems. If you have a roku, apple tv, or some of the game consoles they will stream it too. They also give you free access to the phone and tablet apps if you get the premium mlb.tv package. I'm also pretty sure it's cheaper than what Cox will sell you. You also get to choose the feed you want to watch so if you're a fan of a team you can always watch that team's local broadcast instead of only being able to watch the home team broadcast.

wickerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #10
jamesteixeira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealsol View Post
Dallas stars fan?
Thanks for reply, per cox today it appears that cox will work the same way as TW
Boston Bruins

jamesteixeira is offline   Reply With Quote