TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-26-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

FCC Passes New Net Neutrality Rules

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/tougher...--finance.html

Not sure about this one way or the other.

Roamio Pro
Premiere Elite4
Premiere XL
(3) Minis
Running
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

The FCC rules are just what every mere mortal wants, so it's amazing that they listened.
Don't hold your breath that the rules won't be killed by the courts or congress.

Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:42 PM   #3
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
The FCC rules are just what every mere mortal wants, so it's amazing that they listened.
Don't hold your breath that the rules won't be killed by the courts or congress.
I don't think congress will touch it. As for the courts, it has a lot of precedent with the the telephone regulations. The Republicans (my party) started out loudly against it, but got a lot of push-back from their own constituency...

Only a few hold outs in congress even talk about it anymore.

Anything that forces some competition into the ISP market is going to be good for the consumer - I am very surprised the MILLIONS that the ISP's have spent on lobbying wasn't more effective. I suppose being of the most hated of companies in the world didn't help!

For several years you have been able to "take your number with you" when you change telephone providers - keep your eyes open for a lot of competition in this space!

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #4
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I don't think congress will touch it. As for the courts, it has a lot of precedent with the the telephone regulations. The Republicans (my party) started out loudly against it, but got a lot of push-back from their own constituency...

Only a few hold outs in congress even talk about it anymore.

Anything that forces some competition into the ISP market is going to be good for the consumer - I am very surprised the MILLIONS that the ISP's have spent on lobbying wasn't more effective. I suppose being of the most hated of companies in the world didn't help!

For several years you have been able to "take your number with you" when you change telephone providers - keep your eyes open for a lot of competition in this space!
At first glance, I agree with the ruling (and your assertions). However, there seems to be conficting opinions on whether or not this will foster competition. Your comparison to telecom certainly makes sense; competition is the key to better and faster service.

Roamio Pro
Premiere Elite4
Premiere XL
(3) Minis
Running
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
hefe
Rebus Philbin

I can only think if Verizon is this much of a baby over it, it must be good.

Verizon trolls the FCC's net neutrality vote with a blog post written in morse code

Quote:
"FCC’s ‘Throwback Thursday’ Move Imposes 1930s Rules on the Internet" reads the headline to a blog post written entirely in morse code. If you don't have access to a telegraph operator, Verizon has also provided a handy link to a PDF, written in smudged ink by typewriter, because these new rules are based on outdated technology. Get it?

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #6
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs View Post
At first glance, I agree with the ruling (and your assertions). However, there seems to be conficting opinions on whether or not this will foster competition. Your comparison to telecom certainly makes sense; competition is the key to better and faster service.
From my personal perspective and opinion... The conflicting opinions come from those with either a vested interest in the status quo, or a political motivation.

I do think the change could be disruptive and will cause some pain in the near term.

It was the same arguments back when Ma Bell owned all the telephone lines and you had to pay for each outlet and rent a telephone directly from them.

They argued that if they allowed third party phones, it would bring down the entire telephone infrastructure.

I need to see if I can find that commercial AT&T used to run! "Trust in quality, trust in access" bla, bla bla...

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 02-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #7
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Look for a further barrage of the DON'T TAX MY INTERNET!
STOP GOVERNMENT CONTROL!
OMG, THIS MEANS THAT xxxxx WILL BE FORCED TO GIVE EQUAL TIME TO BE NEUTRAL
purposeful misinformation.

UVerse and OTA

Old 02-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #8
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
...For several years you have been able to "take your number with you" when you change telephone providers - keep your eyes open for a lot of competition in this space!
That won't really apply, unless maybe you get to keep your email address.

It's not ISP competition that gets saved. It's internet content providers.

You can imagine that there would never have been a YouTube if they had to raise the money to pay for access to potential customers first - the customers who are already paying for access to the latest YouTube.

As for the ISPs dumping on customers - look for the Comcast merger to be denied just because Comcast has always been the worst and proud of it and they just got outed with the tons of examples of the deep customer-prevention culture.

UVerse and OTA

Old 02-26-2015, 04:20 PM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

If there is any entity other than government that falls shorter from delivering what their "blah, blah, blah" rhetoric promises, and wastes more money doing it, I haven't heard of it. Bad as they are, it's not the ISP's.

Lack of competition is the real issue and basic cost factors are the primary things limiting it, along with some politics. Even if state laws inhibiting local fiber build outs are successfully disabled, it's not going to be a general panacea. Maybe a helpful delta, but possibly will be ruled unconstitutional.

Whatever the outcome, lawyers will do very well with this rule making, and guess where their fees come from, one way or another.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
atmuscarella

There really should not be much change. We are going back to the rules that were in place up until 2014. After Verizon got those rules killed it only took several ISPs (Comcast Verison) moments to start throttling access to Netflix, which is primarily what Net neutrality is trying to prevent. If you want to equate this to telephone it would be like if back in the day AT&T blocked calls to/from people using the smaller telephone companies around the country, isolating those small telephone companies until they were forced to sell out to AT&T or pay AT&T very high fees for access to the larger nation wide telephone system.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #11
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
There really should not be much change. We are going back to the rules that were in place up until 2014. After Verizon got those rules killed it only took several ISPs (Comcast Verison) moments to start throttling access to Netflix, which is primarily what Net neutrality is trying to prevent. If you want to equate this to telephone it would be like if back in the day AT&T blocked calls to/from people using the smaller telephone companies around the country, isolating those small telephone companies until they were forced to sell out to AT&T or pay AT&T very high fees for access to the larger nation wide telephone system.
Verizon killed the simple rules that were in place up until 2014, so they shouldn't be complaining too loudly.

No, the difference is the last mile. This will make that last mile infrastructure open to everyone "Common Carrier". That makes competition possible - before today if a second ISP wanting into a neighborhood they had to construct their own infrastructure.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 02-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #12
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
Well, I don't mind the new rules, but what this mortal wants is competition. If we had that we might have internet service as good as the rest of the high tech world :-). The way it stands now the monopoly cable company is usually the only viable option (unless you are in one of the small areas of the country with fiber to the home).

tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:52 PM   #13
atmuscarella

Quote:
Verizon killed the simple rules that were in place up until 2014, so they shouldn't be complaining too loudly.

No, the difference is the last mile. This will make that last mile infrastructure open to everyone "Common Carrier". That makes competition possible - before today if a second ISP wanting into a neighborhood they had to construct their own infrastructure.
That is the claim of the Verizons of the world but the FCC chairman says they are wrong.

http://www.cnet.com/news/net-neutral...y-style-rules/

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 02-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #14
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Unfortunately, opening that last mile doesn't provide the kind of competition that could give more bandwidth at lower prices. That last mile infrastructure is still a monopoly in most of the USA. There is an analogy to gas and electric service in much of the USA. Your bill has two components: (1) a charge for the gas or electric supplier, for which there is competitive choice, and (2) a bill for delivering the gas or electricity (i.e., use and maintenance of the infrastructure), which is done by your local monopoly.

Regulation of prices that gas or electricity distribution systems can charge is done at the state level. Federal regulation of internet delivery rates would really open a can of worms and I think the FCC is claiming not to intend this. If the FCC attempted this (if it is even constitutional) it would be a massive and messy bureaucratic exercise, and arbitrary decisions would create many instances of government picking winners and losers. True competition is the only real answer and the FCC can't create that if there is only one pipeline serving that last mile.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:01 PM   #15
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
That is the claim of the Verizons of the world but the FCC chairman says they are wrong.

What is interesting in that article is Tom Wheeler admits that it was John Oliver's rant on his HBO show that changed his mind.
The FCC received some many comments that it crashed their website.

Quote:
After a public outcry, including a 13-minute rant by HBO comedian John Oliver who implored viewers to flood the FCC with comments, Wheeler said he changed his mind and became convinced the only way to protect the open Internet was to change the definition of broadband.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU
At the ten minute mark John Oliver hits the nail on the head as what is really wrong with America.
He states: "The real truth about America is if you want to do something evil put it in something boring."

This past election in November was the lowest turnout in the history of our country. This is why government does not work and it takes a comedian on HBO to turn bad policy around.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:13 PM   #16
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Also, Tom Wheeler is not a dingo (according to him.)

TiVo Mini (v1) x 3
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:53 PM   #17
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Also, Tom Wheeler is not a dingo (according to him.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkjkQ-wCZ5A

Old 02-27-2015, 08:16 PM   #18
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
THAT is freaking hilarious!!!

HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:20 PM   #19
mchief
Morey

and there will be no new taxes, until there are new taxes for this new public utility.

Tivo HD 1TB WD10EADS (SA M-Card)
SAMSUNG HDTV LN55B650
Hitachi HDTV 42HDS69
mchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:40 PM   #20
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Well, I don't mind the new rules, but what this mortal wants is competition. If we had that we might have internet service as good as the rest of the high tech world :-). The way it stands now the monopoly cable company is usually the only viable option (unless you are in one of the small areas of the country with fiber to the home).
True competition would be best. But since the cable companies didn't want to directly compete with each other, we don't have meaningful competition in most areas of the country. And I would much rather have a regulated monopoly than an unregulated monopoly.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:27 AM   #21
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
True competition would be best. But since the cable companies didn't want to directly compete with each other, we don't have meaningful competition in most areas of the country. And I would much rather have a regulated monopoly than an unregulated monopoly.
I agree regulated monopoly much better than an unregulated one. The Government missed the opportunity to have competition in Internet access. If you go back 20 years ago most people had a cable company, a telephone company, & an electric company, if the Government had offered the proper financial incentives and made regulations that encourage development those are the 3 companies that could have laid down fiber to everyone's homes and competed with each other. But back then most people had no idea Internet access would become such an important thing and of course the anti-government crowed would have blocked any meaningful spending/regulations to help with the build out.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 02-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #22
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
Don't you mean the capitalistic self serving, big business, hell with everyone else Republicans??

Old 02-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #23
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Please - both sides have their hands deep in corporate pockets, so don't start that political crap here. This is not the forum for it.

slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #24
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:

The new regs do not include opening up last mile access, sadly.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #25
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Please - both sides have their hands deep in corporate pockets, so don't start that political crap here. This is not the forum for it.
The only "crap" is YOUR continued unneeded, unwarranted harassment like you pull over at AVS. Namely your "off your meds" remark.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #26
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

You'll quickly find that I'm not the only one here that doesn't appreciate threads getting trashed with politics.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #27
tarheelblue32

Quote:
You'll quickly find that I'm not the only one here that doesn't appreciate threads getting trashed with politics.
If politics is germane to the conversation (as it is here), then it should be brought up.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #28
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Talking politics is against the forum rules here at TCF and it will get the thread locked and the offenders banned. Please save your juvenile political talk for another forum.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #29
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief View Post
and there will be no new taxes, until there are new taxes for this new public utility.
Show me which federal taxes you're paying for electric, gas and water. The telephone tax was put in to fleece rich people who had telephones to fund the Spanish American War.

UVerse and OTA

Old 02-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #30
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
It was already brought up in the 3rd post. Or is it you choose not to respond to that?