TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
leres

THR22-100 internal disk upgrades

The stock 500GB Seagate Pipeline HD drive found in the THR22-100 is probably running custom firmware; when connected to a PC, it give errors or hangs the bios depending on the motherboard. This probably isn't due to SATA locking as unlocking sofware reports the drive as unlocked with unknown problems; copying the original drive does not appear possible at all.

Meanwhile, the THR22 behaves like DirecTV DVRs in that it will format a blank internal drive and then start using it. And the resulting disk has a partition layout that the mfslayout.sh script on the JMFS iso can read.

So what is probably is possible is to install a blank consumer drive and then later either make an image copy to a new drive of the same size or using the JMFS iso to copy/expand to a larger drive. Of course JMFS has a size limitation of 2TB so it might be best to just start with a 2TB drive. That way a simple image copy could be used to replace a failing drive or even make periodic backups.
leres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
JosephB

why worry about getting a new drive formatted and then backing up? I'd only bother with backing up once you start putting recordings on it, but there's no need to get an image of a drive in order to do other upgrades later on (or on other boxes)

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
leres

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
why worry about getting a new drive formatted and then backing up? I'd only bother with backing up once you start putting recordings on it, but there's no need to get an image of a drive in order to do other upgrades later on (or on other boxes)
Sure, there's no point in backing up until you have recordings on the drive. But I think what's more valuable is the thumbs database. In the past I used two drives of the same size; I did image copies and then swapped them every 3 to 6 months. So even if a drive completely fried, I wouldn't have to start over.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
HiDefGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leres View Post
Sure, there's no point in backing up until you have recordings on the drive. But I think what's more valuable is the thumbs database. In the past I used two drives of the same size; I did image copies and then swapped them every 3 to 6 months. So even if a drive completely fried, I wouldn't have to start over.
I would worry that pulling the drive every 3 months and attaching it to a PC for copy purposes is more likely to cause drive failure than anything else. Your backup plan is the your biggest need for a backup plan.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
leres

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefGator View Post
I would worry that pulling the drive every 3 months and attaching it to a PC for copy purposes is more likely to cause drive failure than anything else. Your backup plan is the your biggest need for a backup plan.
That's hilarious!

In my experience, hard drives are not fragile (e.g. they are not sugar cookies). And it's not absolutely necessary to pull the hard drive to back it up, you can just remove the connectors.

Thanks for brightening my Sunday morning.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
HiDefGator

Quote:
That's hilarious!

In my experience, hard drives are not fragile (e.g. they are not sugar cookies). And it's not absolutely necessary to pull the hard drive to back it up, you can just remove the connectors.

Thanks for brightening my Sunday morning.
Oh I agree they aren't fragile. But they were not made to be installed and uninstalled dozens of times either. Static charges, connector wear, broken wires. It's asking for trouble. But you won't care because you'll have a backup.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
leres

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefGator View Post
But they were not made to be installed and uninstalled dozens of times either. Static charges, connector wear, broken wires. It's asking for trouble. But you won't care because you'll have a backup.
If that's true I guess I'll have to accept the risk that my HDs will fail due to nominal handling if I keep this THR22 for 10 years.

Too funny.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
Jerry_K
Don't know much

Check out the copying thread on DBSTalk. They have a method to copy the contents from DTV DVRs. Maybe the same sort of thing would work on the TiVo drive.

15 TiVos of some type or the other over time

Tivoless now
Jerry_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
leres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_K View Post
Check out the copying thread on DBSTalk. They have a method to copy the contents from DTV DVRs. Maybe the same sort of thing would work on the TiVo drive.
Copying from an HR10 is different than from a THR22. But as I already said when I started this thread, I believe it's possible to use a JMFS aware copy process to copy a consumer drive formatted in a THR22 to another consumer drive.

But trying to do this with the 500GB Seagate Pipeline HD that comes stock in a THR22 won't work because there's something "different" with those drives and they won't talk to PCs.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
chrissexton1956

THR22 does it network to Premiere boxes

does anyone have a Premire on the same network with new THR22 TiVo I have 4 OTA Premieres with 2 tb drives so 317 hours x 4 boxes and I want to know before I go back to DTV with a TiVo if I will be able to copy shows to and from my exsisting Premieres
Thanks for any info you have
chrissexton1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:22 AM   #11
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissexton1956 View Post
does anyone have a Premire on the same network with new THR22 TiVo I have 4 OTA Premieres with 2 tb drives so 317 hours x 4 boxes and I want to know before I go back to DTV with a TiVo if I will be able to copy shows to and from my exsisting Premieres
Thanks for any info you have
Not possible.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #12
Jerry_K
Don't know much

Quote:
Copying from an HR10 is different than from a THR22. But as I already said when I started this thread, I believe it's possible to use a JMFS aware copy process to copy a consumer drive formatted in a THR22 to another consumer drive.

But trying to do this with the 500GB Seagate Pipeline HD that comes stock in a THR22 won't work because there's something "different" with those drives and they won't talk to PCs.
You only use the PC to get the SATA interfaces required. The PC boots from a form of linux on a CD. Then a bunch of linux commands are used to copy the disk with content onto the empty disk.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...ght=drive+copy

Tivoless now
Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #13
leres

Quote:
You only use the PC to get the SATA interfaces required. The PC boots from a form of linux on a CD. Then a bunch of linux commands are used to copy the disk with content onto the empty disk.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...ght=drive+copy
Yes, I know how this all works and I've done it dozens of times over the last 12 years.

The problem is, there's something "special" about the 500GB drive the THR22's ship with. The PC bios can't talk to it. However, if you hook up a blank off the shelf (e.g. consumer) drive and let the THR22 format it, the result is something (a) a PC can access and (b) a JMFS linux CD can talk to.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #14
Jerry_K
Don't know much

So just keep the original drive for return to DirecTV and get other drives to install and do backups.

Tivoless now
Old 01-11-2012, 01:54 AM   #15
leres

Quote:
So just keep the original drive for return to DirecTV...
This is not my first rodeo.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #16
bacon612

Hey guys. I just attempted to upgrade my thr22-100 from the stock 500 gig drive to a spare seagate 1.5 tb drive i had laying around.

I first was going to use winmfs to copy the contents of my stock drive to the larger replacement when I noticed that after removing the stock drive, and plugging it into a sata to usb kit I had, it wouldnt spin up.

I tried several different power supplies without any luck.

I find it hard to believe that the stock unit just randomly sh*t the bed. (Though I suppose its possible)

Does this sound familiar to any of you? I just popped in the 1.5 tb drive now and its formatting in the tivo. I was kind of hoping to be able to copy content from the old drive.

Any thoughts?
bacon612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #17
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
There does not appear to be a way to copy the content and expand the drive size. winmfs doesn't support the THR22 disk. I tried a lot of suggested methods and gave up.

I haven't had issues with the drive spinning up, but I suppose it's possible that it needed a command to do so. Not worth worrying about since you can't do anything with it anyway.