TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
djw

No HDMI output Series3

I have a couple of Series3 boxes and just replaced the TV to a newer HDMI-capable TV. All is well but...

The original Series3 refuses to recognize that it is connected to HDMI. I swapped everything, rebooted, powered off, cycled the front panel output button and no output from its HDMI port. The TV knows something is plugged in but says no signal. The component connection works fine. I temporarily stole the other Series3 unit from another room and its HDMI output is fine and works fine with same cables, port, etc.

So it appears that the original Series3 must have some hardware/software issue that prevents it from detecting connections on its HDMI port.

Does anyone have any magic tips or hardware fixes for fixing this no-HDMI output? I'd have no trouble with simple hardware tweaks. Tivo customer support just gives the shrug "well its out of warranty, just use component or pay $149 for a refurb".

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

d
djw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
SNJpage1

My Tivo HD has been having problems lately with the HDMI output. I use an Onkyo receiver as a switch. When I switch back to the tivo the TV says no signal. After about 3 or 4 minutes The screen goes green and grey. Little by little the video starts to appearuntil it is fully working again. Started doing it all of a sudden. Componet output is fine. havent been able to figure out what the problem is. Tivo says they will exchange the unit for another and transfer the life time for $150. Not sure if I want to do that yet. If I connect it to the receiver by way of the componet outputs I dont have the problem when it switchs back to the tivo. So I may just hook it up using componet cables and the optical output.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
djw

My HDMI on the bad unit never comes alive. No grey, no partial.

The Tivo's system information says 'no connection' on the HDMI section.
djw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
My HDMI on the bad unit never comes alive. No grey, no partial.

The Tivo's system information says 'no connection' on the HDMI section.
I've given up on using HDMI from my Tivos. I have one TV that just doesn't like HDMI and had the same issues with the cable company STB as with the Tivo - mostly no audio unless the TV is switched to the HDMI input after power on. I also have an S3HD that I bought knowing that the HDMI was already flaky. Composite or Component work nicely so I recommend just switching to that.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
wtkflhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
I've given up on using HDMI from my Tivos. I have one TV that just doesn't like HDMI and had the same issues with the cable company STB as with the Tivo - mostly no audio unless the TV is switched to the HDMI input after power on. I also have an S3HD that I bought knowing that the HDMI was already flaky. Composite or Component work nicely so I recommend just switching to that.
well. I hate to say anything about something like this for fear of having this problem, myself. I had never used the HDMI output until I bought a new flat screen Sammy tv. It wanted you to use HDMI since it had 4 of them and only 2 component inputs. My DVD and cable box did not give me any trouble about this. But my S3 TIVO didn't want to work. Powering it down and rebooting, didn't do any good. I just got the "no connection" error msg. I had to unplug the AC power and give it a hard boot. Never had any trouble since. "Try it, you'll like it", I hope.

Don H
wtkflhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post
well. I hate to say anything about something like this for fear of having this problem, myself. I had never used the HDMI output until I bought a new flat screen Sammy tv. It wanted you to use HDMI since it had 4 of them and only 2 component inputs. My DVD and cable box did not give me any trouble about this. But my S3 TIVO didn't want to work. Powering it down and rebooting, didn't do any good. I just got the "no connection" error msg. I had to unplug the AC power and give it a hard boot. Never had any trouble since. "Try it, you'll like it", I hope.

Don H
I use the HDMI on my 2-year old Samsung for my Blu-Ray player and my laptop but my S3HD Tivo uses Component. Why mess with success when HDMI really won't buy me any noticable video improvement from a Tivo?
Old 12-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
wtkflhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
I use the HDMI on my 2-year old Samsung for my Blu-Ray player and my laptop but my S3HD Tivo uses Component. Why mess with success when HDMI really won't buy me any noticable video improvement from a Tivo?
If you're happy, then I'm happy.

Don h
wtkflhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:46 AM   #8
trade
Tivo Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post
Powering it down and rebooting, didn't do any good. I just got the "no connection" error msg. I had to unplug the AC power and give it a hard boot. Never had any trouble since. "Try it, you'll like it", I hope.
How I will do a hard boot?

Thanks

Trade
trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by trade View Post
How I will do a hard boot?

Thanks

Trade
A soft boot, or, more accurately, a soft re-boot, is when you tell the TiVo to restart, or when it tells itself to in the middle of the night after downloading an update to the operating system. The power from the wall socket is never disconnected.

A hard boot is when you pull the power cord out of the socket and then re-insert it.

Best way to do that, go into the Messages and Settings, Restart or Reset System menu, select restart, do the 3 thumbs down and then be ready to disconnect the power cord when you hit enter and the screen goes blank.

That way, when you plug back in, it's in the restart frame of mind.

Let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes before re-applying power.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote