Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #151
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillyard View Post
I can relearn to push play instead of ff for the 4th time but the guide filter is what needs fixed. Got 300 channels and I only want to look at the HD ones.
Then go into settings, channels, channel list and turn off the channels you don't want to see anymore. Channels I have "off" do not display in my guide at all.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #152
aaronwt
HD Addict

The first thing I do with a TiVo is uncheck 99% of the SD channels in the channel list so they don't show up in the guide. If I do ever want to look at them I change the guide to view all channels to find them.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #153
forum1
TiVo user since 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The first thing I do with a TiVo is uncheck 99% of the SD channels in the channel list so they don't show up in the guide. If I do ever want to look at them I change the guide to view all channels to find them.
Yup. I uncheck all SD channels except for the ones that my cable provider doesn't offer in HD yet. It would be nice if there was an option for the TiVo to automatically disable all SD channels that are available in HD. I find it annoying having to keep track of changes to my provider’s lineup and constantly managing this. This should all be set and forget.
forum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #154
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum1 View Post
It would be nice if there was an option for the TiVo to automatically disable all SD channels that are available in HD.
+1

Quote:
I find it annoying having to keep track of changes to my provider’s lineup and constantly managing this. This should all be set and forget.
Well, that is one nice thing about the recent Cox lineup change- they moved all the HD channels to the 1XXX range and the last three digits are the same as the SD channel, if there is one.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #155
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum1 View Post
Yup. I uncheck all SD channels except for the ones that my cable provider doesn't offer in HD yet. It would be nice if there was an option for the TiVo to automatically disable all SD channels that are available in HD. I find it annoying having to keep track of changes to my provider’s lineup and constantly managing this. This should all be set and forget.
I also have DirecTV, and this is an option. And it works!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #156
lpwcomp

The "Directors" field is now displaying for downloaded shows when using the HD menus.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #157
Joe Siegler

Anyone else having this? My TiVo has apparently lost the ability to keep track of where I am in a show. No matter what I do, if I come back to a partially watched show, it always plays from the beginning.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #158
musictoo

Was it this version that moved the menu choice for delete below the play from beginning? So that it now does not match the menu structure of the S3? Very annoying...
musictoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #159
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Anyone else having this? My TiVo has apparently lost the ability to keep track of where I am in a show. No matter what I do, if I come back to a partially watched show, it always plays from the beginning.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=480279

It happened to me exactly once so far.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #160
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

I will continue to update the first posting in this thread you are now reading (
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...00#post8858900 )

Updated (ver 17). +2.2.7
Old 01-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #161
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Here's something: Transfers are faster. I'm getting 40-50 Mbps now, on MPEG-2 program streams to the Premiere. Previously around 27, IIRC. (MP4s are still 80ish.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #162
Scooter80

A Negative for SDUI

I thought I had seen it on this post before, but now I don't.

Since the update, in SDUI, The TiVo Central Page has reverted to it's former low-resolution version (fatter, less clear TiVo guy and fuzzier background and font). This page as well as the others on the SDUI had been updated in the past (verified with, and currently still on my S3) to a higher-res version.
Scooter80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #163
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Here's something: Transfers are faster. I'm getting 40-50 Mbps now, on MPEG-2 program streams to the Premiere. Previously around 27, IIRC. (MP4s are still 80ish.)
That is strange. Why would it matter what format the data is? Is this from PyTiVo?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #164
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter80 View Post
I thought I had seen it on this post before, but now I don't.

Since the update, in SDUI, The TiVo Central Page has reverted to it's former low-resolution version (fatter, less clear TiVo guy and fuzzier background and font). This page as well as the others on the SDUI had been updated in the past (verified with, and currently still on my S3) to a higher-res version.
I saw this posting somewhere else also. I think you are the first to agree with the concept, I will have to look for it. I am not able to see any difference on the TiVo Central page. Nor do I see any difference between the Central and any other page. Anyone else??
Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #165
Joe Siegler

I use SDUI, but don't notice a difference. I wonder if it has to do with connections. Mine's connected via HDMI and I force 1080i output on every video format (my TV takes too long to switch video modes, IMO, so I forced 1080i from the TiVo to stop that).

Old 01-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #166
Scooter80

Quote:
I use SDUI, but don't notice a difference. I wonder if it has to do with connections. Mine's connected via HDMI and I force 1080i output on every video format (my TV takes too long to switch video modes, IMO, so I forced 1080i from the TiVo to stop that).
I am using HDMI and force 1080 as well. On all my TiVo units. And again, there is no change on my S3 and HD units. Just my Premiere's TiVo Central page was downgraded.
Scooter80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #167
Joe Siegler

Quote:
I am using HDMI and force 1080 as well. On all my TiVo units. And again, there is no change on my S3 and HD units. Just my Premiere's TiVo Central page was downgraded.
Let me clarify. There may have been a change, but I didn't notice it. I guess that fell below the threshold of noticing, assuming there WAS a change on my end.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #168
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
That is strange. Why would it matter what format the data is? Is this from PyTiVo?
It's always been that way. I believe it's something like the program streams are being remuxed to transport streams as they transfer, while the MP4s are stored directly. (TiVo Desktop's "faster" method of transfer uses transport streams.)

The new thing here is that this actually closes the speed gap somewhat, I assume due to the second core being available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #169
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Since the update, in SDUI, The TiVo Central Page has reverted to it's former low-resolution version (fatter, less clear TiVo guy and fuzzier background and font).
This is definitely not true for me. The only way I get the low-res TiVo guy is by setting my output resolution to 480i/p. (Normally I use 720p fixed.) This is with component.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #170
Joe Siegler

I should force mine to 480p and see what the deal is (then switch back obviously).

Old 01-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #171
EldRick

Funny, the DirecTV DVR is smart enough to figure out which channels you are entitled to, and preset the non-authorized ones Off all by itself. It even displays them in faint type in the Guide if you leave them in "Channels I Receive".
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #172
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Funny, the DirecTV DVR is smart enough to figure out which channels you are entitled to, and preset the non-authorized ones Off all by itself. It even displays them in faint type in the Guide if you leave them in "Channels I Receive".
That is not a perfect system. I had Direct TV for 5 years up until this year and that did not always work perfectly. I always had to have my own favorite group to get it right
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #173
GordonB

Quote:
I dunno, but I would guess that this would work with DirecTV because they own and have knowledge over the whole software and hardware system. The DVR is specific to DTV, so the feature set is known, and is controlled by, DTV. Furthermore, DTV has all your account info so the information about what you are subscribed to can be sent to the DVR, since its all one closed system, all controlled by DTV.

Tivo, on the other hand, only knows what TV supplier you are using and can supply guide info for all the channels. However they do not have access to your individual account information and thus cannot customize the guide automatically. This would require Tivo having to set up separate deals with all the cable TV suppliers and having some way of having real time (or at least near real time) access to that information so that the guide could be kept up to date.

I just can't see this happening. One, I can't see the cable TV companies wanting to help Tivo over their own DVR solutions, never mind the possible legal and business ramifications of supplying private customer info to an outside firm. And two, for Tivo it would be a PITA to try to constantly keep up with all the changes in lineups as well as ever shifting consumer preferences for millions of customers. Just not worth it for a feature that, while nice to have, is hardly something that is earth-shattering and critical.

Amy Pascal, then chief of Columbia Pictures, quoted in Los Angeles Times, May 5, 2002
GordonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #174
EldRick

Quote:
I had Direct TV for 5 years up until this year and that did not always work perfectly.
Recent SW updates from DTV finally got it right, but then, DTV for the last three years has been very aggressive about improving their DVR software, after having been much like tivo about it for the previous five, i.e. totally incompetent and paying no attention to customers...
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #175
compnurd

Quote:
Recent SW updates from DTV finally got it right, but then, DTV for the last three years has been very aggressive about improving their DVR software, after having been much like tivo about it for the previous five, i.e. totally incompetent and paying no attention to customers...
I wouldnt go that far, my parents DVR still doesnt have it 100% and the new HD guide slowed down there box. I loved Direct TV and will go back at some point but i have been very happy with my premieres
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #176
Joe Siegler

With the newer software rolling out, I wonder if this thread is gonna be needed a whole lot longer.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=480221&page=4

Old 01-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #177
forum1
TiVo user since 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonB View Post
I dunno, but I would guess that this would work with DirecTV because they own and have knowledge over the whole software and hardware system. The DVR is specific to DTV, so the feature set is known, and is controlled by, DTV. Furthermore, DTV has all your account info so the information about what you are subscribed to can be sent to the DVR, since its all one closed system, all controlled by DTV.

Tivo, on the other hand, only knows what TV supplier you are using and can supply guide info for all the channels. However they do not have access to your individual account information and thus cannot customize the guide automatically. This would require Tivo having to set up separate deals with all the cable TV suppliers and having some way of having real time (or at least near real time) access to that information so that the guide could be kept up to date.

I just can't see this happening. One, I can't see the cable TV companies wanting to help Tivo over their own DVR solutions, never mind the possible legal and business ramifications of supplying private customer info to an outside firm. And two, for Tivo it would be a PITA to try to constantly keep up with all the changes in lineups as well as ever shifting consumer preferences for millions of customers. Just not worth it for a feature that, while nice to have, is hardly something that is earth-shattering and critical.
There should be ways of doing this without having to access to the customer's account. At the very least TiVo could support a channel scan function for CableCARD channels, similar to what they have now for OTA channels. And this is assuming a scan function is even needed. I don't know if there is a way to query the CableCARD to get a complete list of all authorized/unauthorized channels as opposed to having to tune into each channel that has been allocated.

And sure, it's not earth shattering, especially when compared to the reboots and tuning issues that seem to plague so many folks. But I appreciate seeing what features others are looking for and I do feel like the Premiere is lacking a lot of functionality for what is supposedly a state of the art machine. I personally feel that there are a lot of little “nice-to-haves” the TiVo is missing that would make the experience more enjoyable.
forum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #178
Joe Siegler

The new v20.2 software fixes the problem of quick delete within a group with the clear button.

You can do that again.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #179
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
With the newer software rolling out, I wonder if this thread is gonna be needed a whole lot longer.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=480221&page=4

Thanks for that heads-up (of course, it will be forever before *I* am updated to 20.X ), I wasn't monitoring that thread. They really should have started a new thread, since it is not "design speculation" anymore.

Anyway, I do hope some people found THIS thread useful.

Last edited by crxssi : 01-07-2012 at 09:37 AM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #180
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi

Thanks for that heads-up (of course, it will be forever before *I* am updated to 20.X ), I wasn't monitoring that thread. They really should have started a new thread, since it is not "design speculation" anymore.

Anyone, I do hope some people found THIS thread useful.
I certainly did!

+1