Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #31
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
How is it possible that after months of waiting TiVo finally releases an update for the Premiere units and it's actually worse then the previous software? They use to be so good about not releasing software that added new bugs, but it seems like with the last couple of releases they've broken more things then they've fixed.

I really could use an Elite to replace a couple of old S3 units, but at this point I'm not willing to give up the S3 units because at least their software is stable. I am really disappointed in the the direction TiVo has gone over the last few years. I keep hoping they are going to realize the error of their ways and bounce back, but I'm just more disappointed with every new release.

Dan
What did they break? I've seen improvemnts with the latest release. The FF button press is definitly one of them.

But to appease everyone they would need to have option in the settings menu for the behavior of the FF button.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #32
tomm1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOrlando View Post
This morning when I turned on my TiVo I had a message about having run out of guide data, but it was all there when I looked. I noted a few other changes in the HDUI and presumed I received a software update.

It says I am running 14.9.2.2-01-2-746

When I began watching recorded content I noted a significant change. When I tried to fast forward x3 through a commercial and then hit fast foward (a forth time) to resume watching the show instead of the "smart restart" where it would resume playing from the return of the show it just made the "BONG" noise and continues to fast forward.

I confirmed with TiVo and they reported that I must have received the latest software update and that is a issue they are working on.

Any ideas what else may have changed? I am new to TiVo and wonder how long it takes for them to fix bugs like this.
I personally like it better like this.
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #33
tomm1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What did they break? I've seen improvemnts with the latest release. The FF button press is definitly one of them.

But to appease everyone they would need to have option in the settings menu for the behavior of the FF button.
Good to hear..i thought i was the only one who liked the changes. Maybe its cause between the Elite and Premiere i have had 0 reboots.
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #34
Charles R

TiVo will never add this as a settings option and I still say the number of four button presses by mistake versus on purpose has to be at least 1 to 99!
Charles R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #35
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
TiVo will never add this as a settings option and I still say the number of four button presses by mistake versus on purpose has to be at least 1 to 99!
Don't add it to the user interface. Instead, let us do some Select-Play-Select code to change it. Then those who are annoyed by the change can change it back. Those who don't notice won't be "bothered" by yet another menu option. Who's with me?
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #36
Charles R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
Don't add it to the user interface. Instead, let us do some Select-Play-Select code to change it. Then those who are annoyed by the change can change it back. Those who don't notice won't be "bothered" by yet another menu option. Who's with me?
Let's be honest TiVo has about a thousand other changes/updates/enhancements that are much more important. What's the odds they take the time to address this.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:28 AM   #37
hillyard

got an email from tivo today saying the ff is here to stay and that they are NOT going to fix the guide filters I emailed them about setting the guide filter to HD channels you recieve and nothing showing.

Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I would be glad to help you with your inquiries. I do apologize, but we have gotten word from our engineers that those two features will no longer be valid on the TiVo Premiere boxes. With the software update 14.9.2.2, it has removed both of those features. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. when you press fast forward, you will not need to press play to proceed back to the recording. You can submit a features request to our engineers for features you would like to see in a future software update
hillyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #38
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpsrp View Post
A few on here mentioned to use the commercial skip key....that process takes at least 6 presses of the key for a 3 minute commercial. Pressing FF 4 times was much quicker and easier. Let's hope TIVO fixes this soon! If this isn't a bug then they really screwed up with this change.
It may take more effort , but IMHO, it is quicker to "skip" (if you enable skip .vs. scan), as it takes time for the FF scan vs the instantaneous skip.

As I stated in another thread on this issue, it would have been nice for the people who prefer it the old way if there were a configuration option, but count me as one preferring the new way.

As to the "99 to 1" claim, totally made up and based on zero objective data. May be close to accurate though because the people who overshoot (like me) gave up using FF for most purposes a long time ago, especially for skipping commercials or speed watching a football game.

The muscle memory problem is nothing compared to the moving of the "Select" button on the remote. Since I have an old style remote in the living room and a new one in my bedroom, I have to maintain two sets of muscle memory and sometimes the wrong one becomes active. While pressing play vs. 4th press of FF may not be necessary on all platforms, at least it works on all platforms.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #39
billyblue

Thumbs down Amen

Quote:
A few on here mentioned to use the commercial skip key....that process takes at least 6 presses of the key for a 3 minute commercial. Pressing FF 4 times was much quicker and easier. Let's hope TIVO fixes this soon! If this isn't a bug then they really screwed up with this change.
I called Tech Support thinking something had gone wrong. When I was told it was part of a software UPGRADE, I said don't you mean DOWNGRADE? "It was made at customer request" I was told, but she was unable to cite how many customers wanted this change. Why doesn't TiVo give more users the opportunity to weigh in on these changes. I'll bet that the established customer base much prefers the old 4-push FF method. I suggested to TiVo a few months back that they inaugurate a remote code program that would enable a jump to 3 X with just one push of FF. I never bother with just 2 X anymore. Press once, 3X; press again, back to normal. Now THAT would be a software upgrade. Retrograde stuff like this with no user input and TiVo will become history. A Real Shame!
billyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #40
Charles R

Having developed software since the late 70's I find this change interesting. I wonder what the circumstances were that got them to address the issue to start with?
  • Unifying code
  • Vendor request (unifying support across models)
  • User request (some isolated complaint that really got bumped up the ladder)
  • ???
With the hundreds of improvements way past due again what caused the spark to set off such a silly change. I know it's a very small change but I can't tell you how much I miss the feature (certainly more so because I'm used to it). Now if the latest update included untold number of improvements I'm sure I would have brushed it off. However if someone asked about TiVo I have thoughts of nothing going on for several years outside of going backwards. Even standing still is going backwards but removing features is worse...
Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #41
morac
Cat God

I can't say for certain, but possibly they asked about this in one of their monthly surveys. That or maybe they used a focus group or something.

Personally I used the 30 second scan (and the Slide remote) so it doesn't affect me one way or another, but when I used to use the TiVo remote with my S3 (I switched to the Harmony), it frequently processed single button presses as double button presses. This made it tricky to actually get to ffx3 mode since it tended to cycle back to play. Back then I always resumed playing with the play button.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #42
Charles R

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I can't say for certain, but possibly they asked about this in one of their monthly surveys.
Not in any of the monthly surveys I participated in.

Quote:
Personally I used the 30 second scan (and the Slide remote) so it doesn't affect me one way or another, but when I used to use the TiVo remote with my S3 (I switched to the Harmony), it frequently processed single button presses as double button presses.
I use the 30-second skip myself. But not if I'm searching to find a place in a video. Such as a song in a 90 minute special. Then I use FF. I guess I simply find the old method a nice advanced feature and it's a shame TiVo is getting dumbed down. Instead of going in the opposite direction which makes silly little things like this stick out.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #43
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I can't say for certain, but possibly they asked about this in one of their monthly surveys. That or maybe they used a focus group or something.

Personally I used the 30 second scan (and the Slide remote) so it doesn't affect me one way or another, but when I used to use the TiVo remote with my S3 (I switched to the Harmony), it frequently processed single button presses as double button presses. This made it tricky to actually get to ffx3 mode since it tended to cycle back to play. Back then I always resumed playing with the play button.
I know if I filled out one of the surveys I would have voted for the new way. I'm using the FF option more now than I have in many, many years. For me it's a huge improvement from how it used to be.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #44
bldxyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Not in any of the monthly surveys I participated in.

I use the 30-second skip myself. But not if I'm searching to find a place in a video. Such as a song in a 90 minute special. Then I use FF. I guess I simply find the old method a nice advanced feature and it's a shame TiVo is getting dumbed down. Instead of going in the opposite direction which makes silly little things like this stick out.
I hate to interject a sideways comment, but could someone with TiVo Premiere tell me how the 30 second skip works these days? As in, does it immediately skip 30 seconds?

Context: I had a DirecTV TiVo box back in 2002, and a HD version of it in 2006, and both of those machines required a secret-code way to change the behavior of the 30 second button from scanning the 30 seconds to immediately skipping it. Rumor is that the new DirecTV TiVo box (which I have on order) no longer has that secret feature (or, at least, the old way of accessing it doesn't work), and I'm considering defecting from DirecTV if their new TiVo box doesn't have that feature, especially if the current TiVo Premiere boxes do!)
bldxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #45
Charles R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldxyz View Post
I hate to interject a sideways comment, but could someone with TiVo Premiere tell me how the 30 second skip works these days? As in, does it immediately skip 30 seconds?
It can work two ways... for how long who knows.
  • Quick scan - you see images flashing by (you can stack presses)
  • Jumps - more or less instantly

Old 01-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #46
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldxyz

I hate to interject a sideways comment, but could someone with TiVo Premiere tell me how the 30 second skip works these days? As in, does it immediately skip 30 :..........)
It's a 30 second scan not skip.
Prior to the S4 I used the 30 second skip and did not think I would like the 30 second scan function. But after using it a while, I can't stand using the 30 second skip anymore.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #47
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It's a 30 second scan not skip.
Prior to the S4 I used the 30 second skip and did not think I would like the 30 second scan function. But after using it a while, I can't stand using the 30 second skip anymore.
I'm of the exact opposite opinion. I prefer the 30-sec skip and enabled it on my Premier as soon as I found out that it was still available via S-P-S-3-0-S.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #48
bldxyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I'm of the exact opposite opinion. I prefer the 30-sec skip and enabled it on my Premier as soon as I found out that it was still available via S-P-S-3-0-S.
I think that's the confirmation I'm looking for. I appreciate that people have different opinions and preferences -- that's America for you!

If I understand correctly, you get the 30 second skip by the "secret code"...? (S stands for Slow, P for Play, and you get three bings after you finish, right?)
Old 01-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #49
mcphill

Quote:
I think that's the confirmation I'm looking for. I appreciate that people have different opinions and preferences -- that's America for you!

If I understand correctly, you get the 30 second skip by the "secret code"...? (S stands for Slow, P for Play, and you get three bings after you finish, right?)
S is Select
mcphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #50
lpwcomp

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
S is Select
And remember, you must do this while watching a previously recorded show. Do it while watching live TV and you just end up changing to channel 30. For me, that is CSPAN.

To summarize, start watching something in your "My Shows", push SELECT PLAY SELECT 3 0 SELECT. i have no idea if you get three bings. I turn off sound effects on a TiVo as soon as I am able to.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #51
bldxyz

Quote:
And remember, you must do this while watching a previously recorded show. Do it while watching live TV and you just end up changing to channel 30. For me, that is CSPAN.

To summarize, start watching something in your "My Shows", push SELECT PLAY SELECT 3 0 SELECT. i have no idea if you get three bings. I turn off sound effects on a TiVo as soon as I am able to.
Great. Thanks. It has been a while... I think the S = Slow in my memory might have been for the S0RT code... But that's something different altogether!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #52
Beryl

Quote:
I'm with you. The scan on the Premiere got on my nerves so much that I searched this forum yesterday for the sequence. I don't want to see ANY of the commercials.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #53
bldxyz

Confused.

So, I talked to a chat agent on Tivo.com and this fellow strenuously denies that 30 second skip exists on TiVo Premiere.

My guess is that TiVo's official position is that this feature has been done away with, and my suspicion is that it is an accommodation to television advertisers.

So it would be really great if other people besides lpwcomp could confirm that they 1) have a Premiere, and 2) can successfully switch from 30 second scan to 30 second skip using SPS30S.

Here is the interesting part of the chat transcript:

Niles: I apologize, but there are no current plans to bring that to a Premiere box.
bldxyz: I am confused by your reply, since people on tivocommunity.com claim that this feature does, in fact, exist on the TiVo Premiere box.
Niles: It does not. Our regular fast forward skips in 30 second increments, so that may be what they were thinking of. However, with those Direct TV boxes I am not sure if it is available.
bldxyz: Are you aware of the Select Play Select 3 0 Select code sequence?
bldxyz: Look at what people are saying: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ip#post8881761
Niles: Yes I am aware of it and for forums they are not the most reliable source of information.
bldxyz: But there are several people saying that if you enter that sequence on a TiVo Premiere, you get the result that I'm talking about.
bldxyz: You are saying they are all mistaken, if I am to interpret you correctly
Niles: Correct. We do not have the 30 second skip on the Premiere remote like the older ones.
bldxyz: "I prefer the 30-sec skip and enabled it on my Premier as soon as I found out that it was still available via S-P-S-3-0-S." -- lpwcomp
bldxyz: so you are saying he is simply wrong.
Niles: Yes.
bldxyz: interesting
bldxyz: I'm not sure what to make of that.
Niles: If you find steps to set it up online, great I would recommend following them. However, there are no options to do so through TiVo and we do not support it at the moment. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Old 01-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #54
cherry ghost

code works for me
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #55
aaronwt
HD Addict

The code works on the Premiere.

make sure you implement it while you are watching a previously recorded show.

Last edited by aaronwt : 01-04-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #56
lessd

Code works on both the TP and the TPXL, with v14.9.2.2

Alert I just checked and removed the 30s jump by using the code SPS30S and the skip button now went to the end of the program, not the 30S slide forward as it did when I first got the TP. I re-entered the code and was back to the 30S jump, So did V14.9.2.2 removed the 30S slide option or once you enter the code you can never get back to the 30S slide again.

I will try a re-boot with the 30S skip off and see what happens.

Last edited by lessd : 01-04-2012 at 04:53 PM.
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #57
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Code works on both the TP and the TPXL, with v14.9.2.2

Alert I just checked and removed the 30s jump by using the code SPS30S and the skip button now went to the end of the program, not the 30S slide forward as it did when I first got the TP. I re-entered the code and was back to the 30S jump, So did V14.9.2.2 removed the 30S slide option or once you enter the code you can never get back to the 30S slide again.

I will try a re-boot with the 30S skip off and see what happens.
That's a false alarm. There's a menu entry to re-enable 30 sec scan again after disabling 30 sec skip if you want it back.
Settings-Remote,CableCard, & Devices-Remote Control Setup ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 01-04-2012 at 05:20 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #58
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
That's a false alarm. There's a menu entry to re-enable 30 sec scan again after disabling 30 sec skip if you want it back.
Settings-Remote,CableCard, & Devices-Remote Control Setup ...
OH! more complicated than it should be, but I concede, thanks for your input.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #59
lpwcomp

Quote:
So, I talked to a chat agent on Tivo.com and this fellow strenuously denies that 30 second skip exists on TiVo Premiere.

My guess is that TiVo's official position is that this feature has been done away with, and my suspicion is that it is an accommodation to television advertisers.

So it would be really great if other people besides lpwcomp could confirm that they 1) have a Premiere, and 2) can successfully switch from 30 second scan to 30 second skip using SPS30S.
I'm pretty sure that the 30-second skip was never an officially supported feature.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #60
mattack

Quote:
A few on here mentioned to use the commercial skip key....that process takes at least 6 presses of the key for a 3 minute commercial. Pressing FF 4 times was much quicker and easier.
Except in actual real world time taken..

(BTW, if you don't like this, CALL TIVO and tell them. I don't have a Premiere so am not running into the issue.. Especially when you can point them to the web documentation saying this is broken, that's useful.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote