TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
Andy D

iTivo will not connect to TiVo Premiere

Last week I used iTivo to connect to my TiVo Premiere to transfer shows.

Monday I tried to connect and it would no longer connect. I also Tried TiVoDecode Manager and it will not connect either.

I then tried TiVo Transfer and it will still connect.

Has TiVo changed something?

I checked the Media Access key and TiVo address and they appear correct.

What else can I try.

Thanks,

Andy
Andy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
Phantom Gremlin

Reboot early, reboot often. Both your TiVo and your computer.

FWIW, I suggest you move away from iTiVo. It doesn't seem to be updated anymore. Constrast with kmttg and pytivo, both of which are constantly being improved by people who frequent this forum.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
trade
Tivo Addict

The supported applications are important....
trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
herbman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin
Reboot early, reboot often. Both your TiVo and your computer.

FWIW, I suggest you move away from iTiVo. It doesn't seem to be updated anymore. Constrast with kmttg and pytivo, both of which are constantly being improved by people who frequent this forum.
I still prefer iTiVo. It's not like Yoav is some stranger, he used to be a regular. Not sure why pytivo is in this discussion. iTiVo is much more of a native integrating os x application. While KMTTG works just fine, it doesn't really behave naturally in the Mac UI like iTiVo.
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
javabird

Have you upgraded anything on your system? I started having multiple issues with iTivo (with my TivoHD) after upgrading to Lion. KMTTG seems to work but takes more tweaking..

BTW, I don't think you should have to reboot your Tivo all the time for something to work. I'm just saying...
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
herbman

No issues. Premiere on a wired network to a 2007 iMac with lion.
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
BTW, I don't think you should have to reboot your Tivo all the time for something to work. I'm just saying...
It's not like you should have to reboot your TiVo, it's that you simply must. That's just good advice that random TiVo users need to internalize. That's why I (and others) repeat it often. It makes life much simpler.

E.g., a few weeks ago, totally independent of iTiVo or pytivo or whatever, someone in another thread complained that his TiVos could no longer see each other for file sharing. I told him to reboot, hopefully he did, hopefully his problem was solved. I encounter that same problem periodically at home, and a reboot usually takes care of it.

It sucks that TiVo doesn't care enough about their product to chase down long festering bugs. But the workaround for many bugs is simple: REBOOT!

And, to be clear, having said all the above, a TiVo is generally much more stable and reliable than a cable company provided DVR. Just to keep things in perspective.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
javabird

Yes, rebooting can a good idea for the occasional issue, but my point was that you should not have to "reboot often." If you are constantly having to reboot the Tivo, then I would be concerned there is some other issue going on.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
you should not have to "reboot often." If you are constantly having to reboot the Tivo, then I would be concerned there is some other issue going on.
Ahh. Yes, you are quite right on that. If you're rebooting more often than (in my experience) every month or two, then it's probably a hardware problem. In my case I had some flaky external drives. I think other posters have encountered bad power supplies. But my experience is with TiVo HDs. Perhaps TiVo Premieres require a different reboot philosophy.