TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
mmf01

COX Channel Lineup Move - Not available yet on TiVo

COX just moved all HD channels to the 1,000's as of today, 12/06/2011. Connected to TiVo service, reset tuning adapter, rebooted the box and STILL no channel lineup change has occurred.

Anyone else in a COX market having this problem?
mmf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmf01 View Post
COX just moved all HD channels to the 1,000's as of today, 12/06/2011. Connected to TiVo service, reset tuning adapter, rebooted the box and STILL no channel lineup change has occurred.

Anyone else in a COX market having this problem?
Orange County, CA?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21285611

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
moyekj

Yes the AVS Forum thread above is the most relevant. Unfortunately Cox did not leave the channels in 700+ range in the channel map for a while (which they could have done) so until zap2it.com gets their act together and updates the lineup we are SOL. This despite several people having submitted a lineup change request a few days ago with a link to pdf of updated lineup. Other Cox markets have gone through this before so one would think the process would be streamlined by now...

For now I'm resorting to consulting To Do List and cancelling all recordings on 700+ channels and setting up manual recordings in their place. Hope to not have to be doing that for several days.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Yes the AVS Forum thread above is the most relevant. Unfortunately Cox did not leave the channels in 700+ range in the channel map for a while (which they could have done) so until zap2it.com gets their act together and updates the lineup we are SOL. This despite several people having submitted a lineup change request a few days ago with a link to pdf of updated lineup. Other Cox markets have gone through this before so one would think the process would be streamlined by now...
Until Cox responds to Tribune nothing will happen. Tribune will rarely make a lineup change without verifying it with the provider. So users can submit the lineups a million times and Tribune will send a single request to Cox to verify. For some reason Cox seems to be the worst of the providers with slow lineup changes. My guess is they have no organizational policy in place to provide Tribune with the changes.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
mmf01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Orange County, CA?
Yup. Thanks very much for the link.

Thanks everyone. Good to know I'm not alone here. I opened a ticket with TiVo Support. Will let everyone know what they come back.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Cox Arizona made the change over very painlessly, by leaving both 700's and 1000's active for several months. There was guide data on both channels and you could record from either set.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
tvmaster2

Quote:
Cox Arizona made the change over very painlessly, by leaving both 700's and 1000's active for several months. There was guide data on both channels and you could record from either set.
Cox Orange County could have done something that classy, but they decided to go the route they usually do: lousy
No listings as of 9am PST
and no idea about those "special" new channels we have been attempting to tell the FCC about (who, at least in my case, haven't responded to my complaint)
there's always terrestrial I suppose
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Cox Orange County could have done something that classy, but they decided to go the route they usually do: lousy
No listings as of 9am PST
and no idea about those "special" new channels we have been attempting to tell the FCC about (who, at least in my case, haven't responded to my complaint)
there's always terrestrial I suppose
A lot of people are "cutting the cord" these days, but it still amazes me that so many people will put up with almost anything from their cable company. I guess that's why the cable companies have so little respect for their customers. Things will get even worse if they can get Congress to kill over-the-air TV.

Last edited by L David Matheny : 12-06-2011 at 11:32 AM.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
moyekj

Quote:
Yes, that is what I posted *should* have been the right approach for Cox OC. It really doesn't hurt Cox at all to do that - have 2 sets of channel numbers pointing to same frequency for a while until the dust settles. It would help the transition for users of their own set top boxes as well. But I put more of the blame on TiVo and Tribune for not updating things on time even though several people submitted the request for it several days ago... Given all the Cox markets that have already done this switch it should be no surprise by now and should be a lot more seamless.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
LynnL999

It couldn't hurt to send a message on Twitter to @CoxOCHelp and @tivo both. Sometimes a little public pressure will get more attention than support tickets (though we should do those too).

ETA: Also tweeted to @tivodesign and @coxorangecounty.

Last edited by LynnL999 : 12-06-2011 at 01:14 PM.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
mmf01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
It couldn't hurt to send a message on Twitter to @CoxOCHelp and @tivo both. Sometimes a little public pressure will get more attention than support tickets (though we should do those too).
Good idea! I just sent them a message. Let's see if they pass the buck back and forth.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #12
rainwater

Quote:
Good idea! I just sent them a message. Let's see if they pass the buck back and forth.
TiVo can only do what users can do. That is, they send the request to Tribune. Cox still has to verify the changes. At the end of the day, until Cox works with Tribune, it will not get changed.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
TiVo can only do what users can do. That is, they send the request to Tribune. Cox still has to verify the changes. At the end of the day, until Cox works with Tribune, it will not get changed.
I think we all need to bug them until they do whatever it is they need to do -- be persistent so our tickets get elevated, bug them in public on Twitter and Facebook, etc.

ETA: Facebook page is here -- http://www.facebook.com/CoxOrangeCounty

Last edited by LynnL999 : 12-06-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #14
moyekj

The lineup change requests included a PDF file directly from Cox OC web site with the lineup updates, so it's not like Tribune has no proof of any change:
http://ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/residentia...llineup_oc.pdf
I'm sure Cox deserves their share of blame, but TiVo and Tribune are not blameless here either. Luckily there's not a lot on TV right now so I guess it's a blessing Cox OC is doing this around this time rather than during Fall Season Premiere time frame. I only had to setup 6 manual recordings for tonight. Tomorrow and Thursday will be more painful though if it hasn't been corrected by then.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
The lineup change requests included a PDF file directly from Cox OC web site with the lineup updates, so it's not like Tribune has no proof of any change:
http://ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/residentia...llineup_oc.pdf
I'm sure Cox deserves their share of blame, but TiVo and Tribune are not blameless here either.
I agree that it should be proof. But history shows that major lineup changes have to be verified by the provider. Tribune will leave the channels wrong for months if Cox doesn't communicate with them. It has happened in the past several times. TiVo has already sent the information to Tribune as have users apparently. There's really nothing else for TiVo to do.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #16
LynnL999

Quote:
TiVo has already sent the information to Tribune
Our evidence of this is what, exactly?

Until proven otherwise, both TiVo and Cox are to blame for this, and I think we need to keep pressure up on both of them to fix it.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #17
rainwater

Quote:
Our evidence of this is what, exactly?

Until proven otherwise, both TiVo and Cox are to blame for this, and I think we need to keep pressure up on both of them to fix it.
When you fill out the form on tivo.com for the lineup. It is sent directly to Tribune. This is how it has always worked. You get notification when it is sent by TiVo to Tribune (usually the same day or day after).
Old 12-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #18
LynnL999

Maybe. But I'm not willing to let TiVo off the hook here. It's their customers -- all of them in a given area -- who stand to be inconvenienced. If something isn't happening, they can get someone on the phone and at least make an effort to work with them on behalf of their customers.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #19
moyekj

The onus is on TiVo to follow up and correct the problem. Part of the service fee we pay is for guide listings. It doesn't really matter where they get the guide listings from or what part of the process is stalled, Tivo is responsible for getting a fix for the problem even if it's just getting Cox and Tribune to communicate in a timely manner.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #20
mmf01

Agreed. Seems ridiculious we have to tell TiVo about lineup changes. You'd think Tribune and the cable companies would be in sync with these changes. From what understand, Tribune is not exclusive TiVo, so others users of Tribune's data are likely impacted as well.

And...Just heard back from TiVo support, and apparently they can't / won't access a PDF file to see the changes. Classic! So I just replied with every channel copied from cox.com. Let's see what the next excuse is..
Old 12-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #21
LynnL999

Quote:
And...Just heard back from TiVo support, and apparently they can't / won't access a PDF file to see the changes. Classic! So I just replied with every channel copied from cox.com. Let's see what the next excuse is..
Oh for heaven's sake -- feel free to reference my Incident Report -- sent LAST TUESDAY -- number 111129-014493. If the problem was the PDF (I also sent a link) they could have contacted me -- I have still never received a response except the canned one. I'd have sent them the information without the PDF. Do they really think they're going to get a virus from the Cox web site? Seriously, and I don't say this lightly: TiVo FAIL.

Anyway, Diana from Cox's Facebook/Twitter support team emailed me that they are aware of this and she said specifically they are "contacting Tribune." There's also been a response on Twitter from Cox, so thus far they are one step ahead of TiVo.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #22
rainwater

Quote:
Maybe. But I'm not willing to let TiVo off the hook here. It's their customers -- all of them in a given area -- who stand to be inconvenienced. If something isn't happening, they can get someone on the phone and at least make an effort to work with them on behalf of their customers.
I agree, but Tribune has their policies and TiVo isn't their only customer. TiVo can raise all the hell they want. Cox is the one that has to report the changes. This has happened about a thousand times in the past. Just search these forums. Tribune is not going to change their policies. Unfortunately cable companies like Cox don't deal with Tribune very efficiently.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #23
mmf01

Quote:
I agree, but Tribune has their policies and TiVo isn't their only customer. TiVo can raise all the hell they want. Cox is the one that has to report the changes. This has happened about a thousand times in the past. Just search these forums. Tribune is not going to change their policies. Unfortunately cable companies like Cox don't deal with Tribune very efficiently.
Figures...Doesn't surprise me this is a COX problem.

I think the root of this problem is TiVO users are not a priority for COX. They loose money on us due to lack of recurring revenue on their sub-par DVR solution. We are essentially the second-class citizens the FCC has mandated they and other MSO's tolerate. We are the first impacted and last to be resolved when COX makes changes to their network.

It's funny how the Cisco/Moto boxes were updated seamlessly, yet TiVO users are left scratching their head. Granted, the Cisco/Moto boxes likely use different data sources for channel mapping but... whoever is managing network level changes is apparently clueless about downstream impacts to TiVO and the dependency on accurate data on Tribune's end.

Either these continual omissions are intentional on COX's part (To drive more sales of their crappy, expensive DVR boxes) or just plain incompetence. Just think about how many folks naturally think this a TiVO problem right now? This all works out for COX and TiVO users get the shaft yet again.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #24
LynnL999

Is anyone home right now who could do a test for the Cox support people? You need a TiVo with a tuning adapter.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #25
moyekj

Quote:
Is anyone home right now who could do a test for the Cox support people? You need a TiVo with a tuning adapter.
I have slingbox connected to a Premiere so can test from here.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #26
LynnL999

I will PM you!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #27
tvmaster2

Quote:
Figures...Doesn't surprise me this is a COX problem.

I think the root of this problem is TiVO users are not a priority for COX. They loose money on us due to lack of recurring revenue on their sub-par DVR solution. We are essentially the second-class citizens the FCC has mandated they and other MSO's tolerate. We are the first impacted and last to be resolved when COX makes changes to their network.

It's funny how the Cisco/Moto boxes were updated seamlessly, yet TiVO users are left scratching their head. Granted, the Cisco/Moto boxes likely use different data sources for channel mapping but... whoever is managing network level changes is apparently clueless about downstream impacts to TiVO and the dependency on accurate data on Tribune's end.

Either these continual omissions are intentional on COX's part (To drive more sales of their crappy, expensive DVR boxes) or just plain incompetence. Just think about how many folks naturally think this a TiVO problem right now? This all works out for COX and TiVO users get the shaft yet again.
Actually, I also use a HTPC recording system which works on the Zap2It listings, and apparently they haven't been made aware of the change either, since I have received ZERO of the new channel designations or listings from my Zap2It link.
So what is the FCC for again?
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #28
mmf01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Actually, I also use a HTPC recording system which works on the Zap2It listings, and apparently they haven't been made aware of the change either, since I have received ZERO of the new channel designations or listings from my Zap2It link.
So what is the FCC for again?
I believe Zap2It uses the same data source as TiVo, which is Tribune Media Services. Anyone using a CableCard solution with data sourced from TMS is basically in the same boat. This all as a result of COX failing to notify the appropriate parties of this massive lineup change.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #29
LynnL999

I have just played email matchmaker between Margret (@tivodesign) and Diana from the Cox OC Facebook page. Maybe between the two of them, something will get done.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #30
BrianCT

Set-up isn't completely done, but not a good sign. I unplugged, rebooted, ran the Guided Set-up and noticed that only 3 channels in the 1000's were slated to be part of the guide.

I will wait for it to finish, but it may be worse then before.
BrianCT is offline   Reply With Quote