TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Mccannic01

Home network not working

Hi Folks, I'm not really into IT stuff but not a total nuffa so I will try and explain what's happening and hope it's an easy fix.

Running S3 Tivo, had it for about 4 years and it's worked great, had it connected through Home Network on our old PC and it worked most of the time fairly well but since upgrading our PC I can't get it to work.

Contacted Tivo and they sent out a patch which I installed and it transferred 1 program from my PC to the Tivo but wont bring up the Now playing list and says that the Tivo is not detected.

I've adjusted everything I can in the Firewall settings and our Norton Anti Virus software and now I'm stumped.

I've gone over everything I did when it transferred the 1 program and can't seem to get it to do it again.

I had no problems doing this the first time, I feel as though I've missed a step or does the Tivo software not like Windows 7?

Cheers Damo
Mccannic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
MnMizzou

Can you give me a few more details on your network setup? How is the Tivo connecting to your PC, wirelessly, hard-wired? Are you able to see the Tivo on your network? For example I have a wireless router that when I go into the control panel of it I can see everything connected to my home network, both wireless and ethernet connections.

I just finished wiring the rooms with our Tivos with gigabit ethernet wiring for a few reasons. I found the wireless connection could get flaky at times with the Tivo, and HD video took forever to transfer. Even though the Tivo only has a 10/100 ethernet plug in the back I went gigabit for any other device that can use 10/100/1000. It is amazing the difference in transfer times. A 30 min program recorded in standard def can transfer between machines or the PC in about 2-3 mins. HD video goes about 5-8 mins, it has enough of a head start that there are no lagging issues when I try to watch the program immediately.

A few things you may check on the Tivo Desktop software: For some strange reason I never understood the wireless always seemed to be a bit more reliable when using the "Tivo Beacon" setting vs. Bonjour. Also I always went and manually selected all the Tivo boxes to be part of the shared network vs. letting it auto detect.
MnMizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
waynomo
My One Time

Running Tivo Beacon solved my problems on windows 7. (after installing the patch.)
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:08 AM   #4
SNJpage1

I had a problem with Beacon turning itself off for no reason. I had to uninstall Tivo Desktop and reinstall it to get things working correctly again.