TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-27-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
siratfus

Without subscription, can tivo function as non DVR box?

My parents are using a STB for $10 a month by verizon. They never use the features of the guide. And I mean NEVER. They have a few channels that they watch and that's it. They don't ever "surf." They don't ever press guide, so program day and time is not important. Since tivo boxes can be had for so cheap now, below $100. I figure I can get them one without subscribing to the dvr service since they won't use it.

Is that possible? Once again, they don't care about proper guide info. They just turn on the tv, same channel, same time every day like it was the 70's. LOL!
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:11 AM   #2
siratfus

Also without subscription, will I have problems setting up my fios cable card? Would I need to set up the M card with one of my subscribed tivos, then once set-up, remove the card and plug it into my nonsubscription tivo. Something like that?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by siratfus View Post

My parents are using a STB for $10 a month by verizon. They never use the features of the guide. And I mean NEVER. They have a few channels that they watch and that's it. They don't ever "surf." They don't ever press guide, so program day and time is not important. Since tivo boxes can be had for so cheap now, below $100. I figure I can get them one without subscribing to the dvr service since they won't use it.

Is that possible? Once again, they don't care about proper guide info. They just turn on the tv, same channel, same time every day like it was the 70's. LOL!
Yes, you can use a Tivo as you describe. It will be like a plain cable box with no guide info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
Also without subscription, will I have problems setting up my fios cable card? Would I need to set up the M card with one of my subscribed tivos, then once set-up, remove the card and plug it into my nonsubscription tivo. Something like that?
The cable card can be set up in the non subscribed Tivo. Normally, the cable card is paired with the Tivo that it goes in, so in swapping it to another Tivo, you would have to set it up all over again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Without a Tivo subscription, it would not even record, only watch Live TV. It would not even be considered a DVR. It would be cheaper to just get a cable box instead.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Without a Tivo subscription, it would not even record, only watch Live TV. It would not even be considered a DVR. It would be cheaper to just get a cable box instead.
They are paying $10/mo and a Tivo can be acquired for less than $100 (=< 10 months of current set up) and a CC will likely cost only a couple of dollars per month. How exactly is that more costly than a cable box?

and the title of the thread is
So I would believe that your first statement is something that the OP is aware of or is at least not in the least bit interested in having dvr functions.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
siratfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Yes, you can use a Tivo as you describe. It will be like a plain cable box with no guide info.

The cable card can be set up in the non subscribed Tivo. Normally, the cable card is paired with the Tivo that it goes in, so in swapping it to another Tivo, you would have to set it up all over again.
Thank you! Glad to know I can do this.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
siratfus

Quote:
We already have 2 tivo hds with lifetime and we love them! But for my parents, all they need is a cable box, and they don't even press the guide info. They have one or two channels and they just turn on the tv every day at the same time when that show is on. They do nothing else.

If you mean get a cable box from ebay or something, I don't want to take that chance. Verizon is pretty strict about that. A premiere is less than $100! I should have thought of this earlier since we've already spent $300 these past 30 months by paying Verizon $10 every month! A non-subscribe tivo would have paid for itself already! Why didn't I think of this sooner!

For those with parents like me, read this thread!
Old 11-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You can only get a cable box from the cable co.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 11-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
You can only get a cable box from the cable co.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories
Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
bud8man
Tivo Evangelist

If they only want two channels you can't get them over the air? Or on a cheap cable package that would not require a box?
Just tossing out ideas.

Cablevision has like a $12.95 a month plan. It's basically CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS and maybe channel 12 news for those who can't get anything over the air. I used that plan for months when my kids mostly watched PBS and I mostly watched CBS.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #11
classicsat
Astute User

While you can buy a cable box online or elsewhere, you would be hard pressed to get a provider to activate such a box, since it is not a box from their stock, and they don't sell them for subscribers to own
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
bud8man
Tivo Evangelist

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13118

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16351
Old 11-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #13
lpwcomp

How do you keep the TiVo from getting stuck in guided setup? It's one thing to drop the subscription on an already functioning TiVo and keep using it as a digital tuner. It is quite another to initially set it up w/o a subscription.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
lpwcomp

Another thing: Verizon is actually charging them extra for the first STB on top of whatever they are paying for the package?

Old 11-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #15
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
How do you keep the TiVo from getting stuck in guided setup? It's one thing to drop the subscription on an already functioning TiVo and keep using it as a digital tuner. It is quite another to initially set it up w/o a subscription.
Subscription status is, and has always been, completely irrelevant to running guided setup.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
While you can buy a cable box online or elsewhere, you would be hard pressed to get a provider to activate such a box, since it is not a box from their stock, and they don't sell them for subscribers to own
Why would a provider refuse to activate a cablecard STB?
Adam1115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Subscription status is, and has always been, completely irrelevant to running guided setup.
Are you absolutely certain that is still the case, particularly with a Premiere? Even if it is the case, it would still have to be hooked it up to a phone line or internet long enough to complete guided setup.

Of course, he shouldn't buy a Premiere at all. A TiVo 3 (either the original OLED or the THD is what they need. As long as it has a digital tuner.

Are the channels they watch in a package above the basic package?

Old 11-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #18
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115 View Post
Why would a provider refuse to activate a cablecard STB?
1. Because it is presumably stolen. No manufacturer sells their digital STBs or DVRs to consumers.

2. Because it is incompatible with the local CATV system. The digital protocols are proprietary. Unless the STB or DVR is of the same hardware type (Cisco or Motorola) as the headend, it won't work, period. A Cisco box won't work with a Motorola headend, and vice-versa. Even if the hardware type is compatible, the software is probably not. Each MSO has custom software running.

It's possible the STB or DVR may be able to function as a UDCP, in which case it might be possible for the box to receive linear channels, but I do not know this for a fact. The device may require 2-way communications in order to authorize. They are designed as 2-way hosts from the ground up, so the latter is not unlikely. I know for a fact it was the case for some early STBs, but this may no longer be true.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #19
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Without a Tivo subscription, it would not even record, only watch Live TV.....
Would it continue its 15 minute buffer so you could pause viewing to grab a beer?
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #20
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
Would it continue its 15 minute buffer so you could pause viewing to grab a beer?
30 minutes actually.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 11-29-2011, 12:52 AM   #21
siratfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud8man View Post
If they only want two channels you can't get them over the air? Or on a cheap cable package that would not require a box?
Just tossing out ideas.

Cablevision has like a $12.95 a month plan. It's basically CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS and maybe channel 12 news for those who can't get anything over the air. I used that plan for months when my kids mostly watched PBS and I mostly watched CBS.
I have a FIOS package that I take full advantage of. Parents live with me. I got them a STB for their room, but all they do is watch a few asian channels. We are asian btw!! Hence, living with the parents thing. LOL.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:50 AM   #22
vaalin

Quote:
30 minutes actually.
Thats GOOD
vaalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #23
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Are you absolutely certain that is still the case, particularly with a Premiere?

Quote:
Even if it is the case, it would still have to be hooked it up to a phone line or internet long enough to complete guided setup.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #24
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post

Wow! You underlined it! That must mean it's true!

I'm sure you base this on the numerous subsidized price, un-subbed Premieres on which you have successfully run initial guided setup.

At this point, I am not saying that it won't work but, unless you have solid data to the contrary, there is no guarantee that it will. Also, as I previously stated, I would suggest that the OP not buy a Premiere for this purpose anyway.

I've never tried to run guided setup on an unsubbed TiVo, which is why I am not saying that it won't work.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #25
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Wow! You underlined it! That must mean it's true!

I'm sure you base this on the numerous subsidized price, un-subbed Premieres on which you have successfully run initial guided setup.

At this point, I am not saying that it won't work but, unless you have solid data to the contrary, there is no guarantee that it will. Also, as I previously stated, I would suggest that the OP not buy a Premiere for this purpose anyway.

I've never tried to run guided setup on an unsubbed TiVo, which is why I am not saying that it won't work.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #26
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:

You don't know if it will work so you assume the people who tell you it will are wrong?

1) It does not need to be subbed to run guided setup.

2) The OP is obviously not buying a subsidized TiVo Premiere since they aren't planning to sub it, so WHO CARES about that anyway?
Adam1115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #27
lew

I always run guided setup before I subscribe. Unless something has changed you automatically get full tivo features for a short period of time (7 days?) even if you don't subscribe.

Might as well know if my unit is DOA before I subscribe.

FiOS has promotions where they offer a free DVR for life.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #28
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:

I have run Guided Setup on an unsub Premiere and, no, it did not have a 7-day free trial even though it was NIB. Bought it for spare parts because it only cost me $51 with free delivery from a guy on eBay.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #29
Charles R

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
I have run Guided Setup on an unsub Premiere and, no, it did not have a 7-day free trial even though it was NIB. Bought it for spare parts because it only cost me $51 with free delivery from a guy on eBay.
I'd question if it was actually NIB (sealed) as I have used roughly a dozen units and every one of them gave me a week or so before cutting me off. Running Clear and Delete Everything afterwards wouldn't... but it would be nice if it did.
Charles R is offline   Reply With Quote