TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
diamar

480i no longer displays in native resolution after 14.9.2

This issue was raised in one of the other 14.9.2 threads, but got quickly buried.

It seems as if the 14.9.2 release has broken the native resolution display capabilities of at least a couple Premieres. I normally display in whatever resolution the show was recorded, and this has worked for some time (outputting over HDMI).

After the new release, regular SD shows now default to 720p instead of 480i. To view in the native resolution you now have to use the "up" button a couple times to manually switch output to 480i. Sadly, this sticks when you go back to the HD menus.

Others with this problem???
diamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

What about 480P? Even when I was running native resolution output for HD, I never used the 480i output of the since the picture quality took a big hit.

Since getting my Elite I've set all my boxes for 1080i and 1080P24 output only. Since most networks are 1080i and there were four tuners to cycle through on the Elite, waiting one second or less for channel changes became preferable to 2 to 3 second channel changes for me.
And once I got used to that on the Elite, I had to switch all my other Premieres as well
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
diamar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What about 480P? Even when I was running native resolution output for HD, I never used the 480i output of the since the picture quality took a big hit.

Since getting my Elite I've set all my boxes for 1080i and 1080P24 output only. Since most networks are 1080i and there were four tuners to cycle through on the Elite, waiting one second or less for channel changes became preferable to 2 to 3 second channel changes for me.
And once I got used to that on the Elite, I had to switch all my other Premieres as well
I have tried disabling 480i as well. In prior system versions, this would display 480i native shows in 480p, but with 14.9.2 it displays in 720p.

Like many people with high-end video processors, I prefer to feed the original resolution into my AV Processor and let it to the conversion to 1080p.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
pig_man

I have the problem too, and I've done some research on the behavior:

If 720p output is selected, then both 480i and 480p will default to 720p even if 480i and 480p are selected.

If 1080i output is selected and 720p is not, then both 480i and 480p will default to 1080i even if 480i and 480p are selected.

If 480i and 480p only are selected, then 480i will default to 480p, while 480p will play correctly.
pig_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just checked all the output options on my XL box. It is doing the same thing. Outputting the 480 channels as 720P.
I also see it is doing the same thing from Netflix and Amazon.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
Tyler Pruitt

This is a Big Deal for people that use external video processors like the Lumagen ect.
Tyler Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
diamar

I tried with component output (instead of HDMI), and the problem persists. This is truly a retrograde upgrade.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
MirclMax
Ancient Member

I am now seeing this behavior .. I think I went to 14.9.2.2 a couple of days ago.

This is *really* annoying to me. You can use the up-arrow to cycle through the resolutions and get to 480i .. and as long as you stay on 480i channels, it will stay there, but once you go to 720 or 1080 .. it doesn't drop back down.

I was actually looking at pulling the trigger on buying another box ... but I'm not going to be pleased if this (old) behavior sticks around.

If you find something I have said helpful, please return the favor by helping someone else.
MirclMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
photoman

I have also discovered this bug since my TiVo Premiere XL was updated directly from 14.8 to 14.9.2.2-01-2-748. If you have not done so, please call TiVo Support and complain about this problem. I have asked TiVo that this issue be escalated to L3. Although you can manually reset the resolution to 480i, if the program you are watching has HD commercials, you will be forced to constantly reset the resolution back to 480i after each commercial....extremely aggravating.
photoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
TeddS
Obfuscator

I'm now seeing this problem too. Relieved it's not just me, but still annoyed at TiVo. I'll try to call it in tomorrow.
TeddS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #11
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddS View Post
I'm now seeing this problem too. Relieved it's not just me, but still annoyed at TiVo. I'll try to call it in tomorrow.
If you have all of the video output options enabled and you hit the up arrow when watching Live or Recorded TV, the TiVo toggles between the available output settings. I played with this briefly but I was able to get back into the native resolution on an SD channel with this method. Its a little unclear to me at this point what the default setting is on a channel.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #12
TeddS
Obfuscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
If you have all of the video output options enabled and you hit the up arrow when watching Live or Recorded TV, the TiVo toggles between the available output settings. I played with this briefly but I was able to get back into the native resolution on an SD channel with this method. Its a little unclear to me at this point what the default setting is on a channel.
Yep - I figured that out too, but that "fix" is annoying and not very kid or wife-friendly. For me, every channel change is flipping the Tivo back to the highest HD setting, even if I switch between two SD channels. I'm using a big HD-capable Sony 4:3 TV, so I like the Tivo to stick to SD (4:3) most of the time, and only switch to HD on HD channels. When it does that, it flips on the TV's HD compression mode, which makes a very nice letterboxed picture - but now with this problem, it's turning on the HD mode all all the time, incorrectly compressing SD signals, distorting the picture.

Now it's just a huge pain. So I turned off the HD options in Tivo until they fix this or I can figure out some other good workaround.
TeddS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
EldRick

This is also a big deal because the tivo does a horrible job of upscaling 480i to 1080i, while my TV (with a Faroudja processor) does a far better job.

Upscaling to 1080i in the tivo makes contrast and saturation so far off that it is unwatchable.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #14
HD4me2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Pruitt View Post
This is a Big Deal for people that use external video processors like the Lumagen ect.
A real PITA.
My DVDO iScan Duo VP input banner now reports 720p for all 480i channels, all Encore channels on cable for example.
My Premiere has always been set to pass all incoming resolutions unaltered so the Duo will do all the processing.

While the Duo has a unique feature where it will re-interlace 480p and 1080p, process the signal and de-interlace to 1080p for my display, this does not work for 720p.
Disabling 720p in the Tivo is no solution since there are numerous channels on OTA and cable that transmit at 720p and the Duo needs to see those as is.

Using the up arrow on the remote works but has to be repeated after every channel change.
This need to be fixed, I am really ticked off now.
HD4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
EldRick

Having to change the resolution and scaling every time you change channels is like 1990 all over again. A MAJOR PITA!
Old 01-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
dbranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Having to change the resolution and scaling every time you change channels is like 1990 all over again. A MAJOR PITA!
agree 100%! Anyone know if TiVo has given any indication that they're even working on a fix??
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:00 AM   #17
EldRick

I can tell you one thing- if the new update does not include it, I'm sending this POS back and going back to DTV.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #18
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I'd send the cable company back, not the TiVo. Seriously, do you really have that much 480i content? We have 7 channels that aren't in HD yet, and I watch one of them about once a month.
Premiere (320GB) w/ MoCA adapter
Mini

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #19
EldRick

About half of the HD channels on Comcast are 480i, as are quite a few movies from Amazon.

I finally worked with tech support, where they were astonished to discover this problem.

They were able to offer a reasonable workaround: set the Video resolutions to accept only 480p and 1080i, and then 480i will be seen in 480p (with aspect ratio choices of Full, Zoom, sidebars), 720p will be upscaled to 1080i by the tivo (no zoom/full/pillar choices), and 1080 will show in 1080 (no Zoom/Full/pillar choices).

It does not allow you to have the external device (like the Faroudja processor in my Westy TV) do the upscaling instead of the tivo, but at least it eliminates the fiddling every time you change channels.

The issue has now been reported, confirmed, and escalated to engineering. According to tech support, this had never actually been formally reported as an issue.

Sigh - things don't get fixed unless you report them, guys...
Old 01-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #20
MirclMax
Ancient Member

Quote:
I finally worked with tech support, where they were astonished to discover this problem.

The issue has now been reported, confirmed, and escalated to engineering. According to tech support, this had never actually been formally reported as an issue.

Sigh - things don't get fixed unless you report them, guys...
See, that is part of the problem .. I did report it ... via e-mail to Customer Service.. a reply I got on 12/19 included ....

Quote:
Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I would be glad to help you with your aspect ratio issues. We are aware of this problem that arose during the latest software update and are working diligently to fix it. Your box has been added to the list of TiVo boxes displaying this problem, which will help us more quickly resolve the issue.
Things get reported and then ignored .. that's a problem..
Old 01-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #21
EldRick

Quote:
Things get reported and then ignored...
That's been true for the ten years I've had tivos.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #22
diamar

The new software update generally fixes this bug. I say "generally" because there seem to be some menus where it doesn't reset the 480i/480p signals. But most of the time, native resolution seems to work with the new system update.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:11 AM   #23
dbranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamar View Post
The new software update generally fixes this bug. I say "generally" because there seem to be some menus where it doesn't reset the 480i/480p signals. But most of the time, native resolution seems to work with the new system update.
Diamar, what is the release # of the new system update? We have #14.9.2.2-01-2-746 and the problem happens constantly. Even in the middle of watching recorded shows.
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #24
diamar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbranco View Post
Diamar, what is the release # of the new system update? We have #14.9.2.2-01-2-746 and the problem happens constantly. Even in the middle of watching recorded shows.
The new release is 20.2 and has the new HD guide and info screens. I understand it rolled out to a large random sample and suspect it will take a couple more weeks before everyone gets it.

It definitely is still a bit flaky. But it always seems to fix itself in this version if you go to the TiVo menu and exit back to the 480i channel (when watching live TV). Haven't played with recordings much, but as far as I can tell, they always go to native as they should.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #25
MirclMax
Ancient Member

I'm less concerned about the menus adjusting as it properly adjusting to the channels like it is supposed to. Hopefully at least that part is fixed.

(i.e. if I'm using Native and I hit a 480i channel, it should change to 480i .. when I go to a 1080i it should change to 1080i and so forth ...)

If you find something I have said helpful, please return the favor by helping someone else.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #26
DCleary

Hulu

Does anyone know how Hulu or Netflix are being output?
DCleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #27
EldRick

I was able to find the email address of the Tivo VP of Customer Experience on twitter (margret@tivo.com), and had an email exchange regarding the missing Native support. She was unaware of the issue (I cited this thread and another where it was reported), and she promised to forward the issue to engineering.

Note that when a VP brings such an issue to the attention of engineering, it is far more likely to get fixed than if you or I report it. I learned this many years ago while at a large computer company...

So I have some hope that they will address this remarkably bone-headed oversight in the not-too-distant future.

BTW, there is a lame workaround suggested by Tech Support: set your supported resolutions to 480 and 1080, and not 720p. Part of the issue is that the tivo 14.9 update stupidly upscales 480i content to 720p without mentioning it, and this means that changing channels worsens the issue of aspect ratio changes..

Last edited by EldRick : 01-10-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #28
diamar

Quote:
I was able to find the email address of the Tivo VP of Customer Experience on twitter (margret@tivo.com), and had an email exchange regarding the missing Native support. She was unaware of the issue (I cited this thread and another where it was reported), and she promised to forward the issue to engineering.

Note that when a VP brings such an issue to the attention of engineering, it is far more likely to get fixed than if you or I report it. I learned this many years ago at a large computer company...

So I have some hope that they will address this remarkably bone-headed oversight in the not-too-distant future.

BTW, there is a lame workaround suggested by Tech Support: set your supported resolutions to 480 and 1080, and not 720p. Part of the issue is that the tivo 14.9 update stupidly upscales 480i content to 720p without mentioning it, and this means that changing channels worsens the issue of aspect ratio changes..
I find that it does change to the rigth resolution most of the time when you switch channels. Not sure when it fails, but it does occasionally fail still. I do think it's better that it's easier to "fix" it by hitting TiVo/LiveTV instead of cycling through the resolutions. Once it figures out that a channel is 480i, it seems to be fine with it. Not a huge amount of testing from me yet, but it worked well most of the time.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:13 AM   #29
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

We are looking into this

Hi all,

Thanks for making me aware of this issue. Engineering is currently looking into it.

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #30
MirclMax
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for making me aware of this issue. Engineering is currently looking into it.

--Margret
I do hope you can keep us up to date on it. After installing 20.2 yesterday, I can confirm it is still *really* bad. It does not detect a 480i channel and automatically change the resolution to it.. and often going back into the menus from a 480i mode will at times result in a digitally garbled screen (fixed by going back into live and then to the menu).

Other than being really annoying since 14.9.2.2 .. this is the type of bug that has put my plans of purchasing another box on hold .. so I'd like to get it resolved.

Other than that... the new UI is .. ummm interesting It will take some getting used to.

Thank you for continuing to provide feedback to the forums.