TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #91
Johnny_boy

My peanut plus app is still working, can't tell about the US TiVo app as my main PC has died and the new PSU hasn't quite arrived. I've just returned after a rare night out and tried to view the message on my TiVo I saw before I left about the important update. It has gone but I suspect it will be a stability update and remove the access.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #92
laurence@key2.co
Loz

Only a lucky few have had the downgrade so far. It will be rolled out to the rest of us starting from 31 jan. We've until then to figure out a way to stop the box updating. Or of getting another workaround - any ideas?!
laurence@key2.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #93
Tony Hoyle
Geek

No way to stop the box updating short of disconnecting it from the VM network - and that is a bit self defeating.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #94
laurence@key2.co
Loz

Presumably, what happens overnight is just the reboot, not the download. So unplugging the (virgin network) cable each night won't prevent it.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #95
alextegg
Tall Member

No, but it would successfully stop any overnight records

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S1 shelved to wait for
to revive it
Brand new lovely VM TiVo from 18/02/2011 :)
alextegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #96
laurence@key2.co
Loz

So what we need is a program sitting on a pc/server to provide tivo with the 'valid authentication' that the official virgin/tivo app will. I wonder if that's possible?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #97
alextegg
Tall Member

Depends how they've done it. If the update has temporarily disabled remote control of the TiVo and they will do another update to re-enable it once they release their 'official' apps (most likely scenario?) then there's not much we can do

and

S1 shelved to wait for
to revive it
Old 01-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #98
laurence@key2.co
Loz

I read somewhere that they've not stopped access, just that it will require the correct authentication. Can't remember where now, but I'm pretty sure that was how a Virgin employee worded it.
There's also speculation elsewhere that they may have withdrawn the update. That's fuelled by the fact that the update message has disappeared from tivo. And I imagine a fair bit of wishful thinking!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #99
Tony Hoyle
Geek

They've blocked the ports that most of the apps used - the authentication line just sounds like CS spin to me...
Old 01-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #100
dwarfofpoison
dwarfofpoison

15.2.RC8-VMC-2-C00 update.

I've had this update and yes the Peanut app (that I paid for) no longer works however the free US Buddy app still works.

Strange when Virgin talk about stability as not once did my box crash whilst using the Peanut app but the US Buddy app really affects stability. I just hope that it doesn't become terminal because the app is so good I've (after 9 long months) been proud enough to show off my TiVo to whoever sits in front of my TV.
dwarfofpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #101
laurence@key2.co
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfofpoison View Post
I've had this update and yes the Peanut app (that I paid for) no longer works however the free US Buddy app still works.

Strange when Virgin talk about stability as not once did my box crash whilst using the Peanut app but the US Buddy app really affects stability.
The US app still works? That's the best news I've heard all morning!
One user on another forum reported it also didn't work after the update. I wonder if they've adjusted which ports they block or something.
Have you got the newer version of the US app? I use it all the time and the only bug I've discovered is using navigation gestures on the remote (playback gestures work fine). The previous version caused the TiVo to crash when trying to watch on demand stuff.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #102
laurence@key2.co
Loz

Quote:
Which version are you on? Just realised, your message header shows the old version:
15.2.RC8-VMC-2-C00 is the old version
15.2-01-2-C00 is the downgrade.

I'm feeling less optimistic now!
Old 01-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #103
dwarfofpoison
dwarfofpoison

The version of the Buddy app I'm using is v1.6(4086) and I too have read that there's two versions of the update about. With the 15.2-01-2-C00 being the killer of all apps (and unfortunately logic says I've got mark 1). However I just live in vain hope that the app survives, just astonished at the speed these updates were put out considering how very slow Virgin put out anything that actually improves the TiVo experience.

The 31st may be another dark day in my house!
Old 01-28-2012, 02:53 AM   #104
stixe

I am running 15.2.RC8-VMC-2-C00 but the TiVo iPhone app stopped working a week or so ago the software on the PC no longer sees the TiVo on the network. Does this mean that the port blocking isn't part of the new software release the peanut app still works fine however am I missing something....

Last edited by stixe : 01-28-2012 at 02:55 AM. Reason: wanted to add info
stixe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:01 AM   #105
laurence@key2.co
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixe View Post
I am running 15.2.RC8-VMC-2-C00 but the TiVo iPhone app stopped working a week or so ago the software on the PC no longer sees the TiVo on the network. Does this mean that the port blocking isn't part of the new software release the peanut app still works fine however am I missing something....
That should still work.
Which 'fix' are you using for the iOS (iPhone) app? If you're using one of the older python scripts, it may be that the tivo's ip address has changed after a reboot.
Better fix it quick, it'll be broken in a few days!
Old 01-28-2012, 05:17 AM   #106
Tony Hoyle
Geek

Quote:
T just astonished at the speed these updates were put out considering how very slow Virgin put out anything that actually improves the TiVo experience.
Amazing how fast they can react when people start using their devices as they want to.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #107
laurence@key2.co
Loz

Just been speaking to CS to ask them about this and F1. Thinking of giving sky a go. Lady I spoke to knew nothing of the fw update, so she called through to the TiVo team. They knew nothing about it. Couldn't tell me anything about the official app either. Not sure if that surprises me or not.
Off to see what sky can offer.

It occurs to me that if enough of us moan about it, they might be more likely to get their finger out. If I knew that the app was weeks away, I'd probably wait. Otherwise I fancy giving sky a go and enjoying F1 in HD for a year.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #108
NeilCoburn

I've had the software upgrade, and the US App seemed to work initially but now doesn't. The Bonjour windows app shows the right IP address. The Network Diagnostics page on the Tivo shows 'Port Configuration test: failed'. Does anyone know whether this Virgin Media blocking the port so the App doesn't work, or is it an unrelated fault? The Peanut App still works.
NeilCoburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #109
Major dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilCoburn View Post
I've had the software upgrade, and the US App seemed to work initially but now doesn't. The Bonjour windows app shows the right IP address. The Network Diagnostics page on the Tivo shows 'Port Configuration test: failed'. Does anyone know whether this Virgin Media blocking the port so the App doesn't work, or is it an unrelated fault? The Peanut App still works.
Mine started working okay after I updated it to the latest version, but today it started crashing on the guide page so it is of limited use it appears.
Major dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #110
laurence@key2.co
Loz

Yup, I'm getting app crashing this evening too.
Had been working flawlessly.
Hopefully, it's a temporary problem.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #111
laurence@key2.co
Loz

Great news - well, sort of.
This is a problem for US tivos too, so I imagine it will be resolved before too long... https://discussions.apple.com/message/17634473#17634473
Old 02-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #112
alextegg
Tall Member

Curiously my iPad app is crashing, but it works fine on the iPhone ?

and

S1 shelved to wait for
to revive it
Old 02-20-2012, 02:25 AM   #113
Pine Cladding
Large member (Ooer!)

It's not just me then? Hope they update it soon.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Virgin TiVo installed 19th Feb!!
TiVo S1 (In the Loft) with Cachecard 2.2, 512mb, TiVoWeb
Pine Cladding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #114
laurence@key2.co
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextegg View Post
Curiously my iPad app is crashing, but it works fine on the iPhone ?
I'd assumed that wouldn't work either - but you're right. I've played around with it and can't get the iPhone app to crash at all. Guide is what seems to crash the iPad app, but that works fine on the iPhone.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #115
Johnny_boy

My PC turned out to be more dead than just PSU so ordered a Mac which took almost 3 weeks to arrive.... Anyway, I loaded up the Mac version of the bonjour app and noticed the same crashing as above on the iPad in TV guide but my iPhone app won't even start. I thought I had a setting wrong so surfed the cable forums and eventually found that people here had been reporting the same issue - I should have looked here first!

Hoping for a swift resolution but very odd that it started happening without the app or TiVo being updated...
Old 02-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #116
dwarfofpoison
dwarfofpoison

Same problem here, works fine on the iPhone but crashes on the iPad (when entering the guide). Checked what's being said on the US store and the vast majority report stability problems, giving the app a mere 2.5 stars. It is a known problem but unlike the OP I don't imagine that TiVo inc is going to resolve it before too long!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #117
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Hi everyone,

We have indeed found the cause of the problem in the app when launching the guide. A fix has been made and will be made available as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience while we get this taken care.

Sorry for the grief.

Jerry

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #118
NeilCoburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilCoburn View Post
Mine isn't crashing - it doesn't get that far - when I start the iPad app, it says 'reconnecting' several times then 'lost connection - unable to connect to network'. Is anyone else getting this?
NeilCoburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:43 AM   #119
dwarfofpoison
dwarfofpoison

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
Hi everyone,

We have indeed found the cause of the problem in the app when launching the guide. A fix has been made and will be made available as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience while we get this taken care.

Sorry for the grief.

Jerry
Cheers (wouldn't get such a quick response from Virgin)!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #120
Tony Hoyle
Geek

Virgins response would be to launch an update that removed the app from everyone's ipads for 'stability reasons'