TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
apwheeler

TiVo Net Controller for PC - Windows 7/Vista

Hi,

I have started a new thread for this as requested.

Since the new update gives the ability for network remote control, I have started to develop a little application on Windows that will allow you to control your TiVo.

The version is confirmed as working on Vista and works on Windows 7. Basically it allows you to control your TiVo from the application by clicking the appropriate buttons on the remote control.

To the right is a list of channels, you can click on the channel and the TiVo will change to that channel. I have not added all channels, but if anyone wants to add more just populate the channellist.txt file.

You can type on your the keyboard when entering Text searches such as Searching TV and the new YouTube app.

Arrow Keys also control the Up, Down, Left, Right on the TiVO, and the Enter key sends OK.

This is still in early development, and there is potential for new features etc, if anyone has any. Would appreciate your feedback.

To work you will need your TiVo connected to your home network, and enable Network Remote Control on your TiVo.

Latest version 0.02 can be found here:
http://www.andypwheeler.pwp.blueyond...emoteV0.02.zip

If someone could test if it will load on XP I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Andy
apwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
VirginMediaPhil

It works on XP.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
apwheeler

Great... thanks for confirming.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
Zaichik

Does it work remotely?
Zaichik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:55 AM   #5
apwheeler

I guess it could if you set up a rule on your router to redirect port 31339 to the TiVo IP Address... Wouldn't recommend it though.

Why would you want to remote control your TiVo outside of your Home Network?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
Pine Cladding
Large member (Ooer!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwheeler
Annoy the other half/kids/lodger . . . ;-)

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Virgin TiVo installed 19th Feb!!
TiVo S1 (In the Loft) with Cachecard 2.2, 512mb, TiVoWeb
Pine Cladding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #7
TIVO_YORK99

Yes - know what you mean.

Used to have great fun on the series 1 changing channels and fast fowarding to make my wife think she was going mad.

Personally I would setup a VPN and access it that way instead of forwarding the port as it would be a lot more secure.
TIVO_YORK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
Brangdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwheeler View Post
It depends on what the net interface and app are capable of. For example, perhaps it could be used to schedule recordings when away from home, without having to use the web interface.

For me the notion of duplicating the hand-held remote-control on a PC isn't especially useful, because I can't see the TV from my computer desk. I have the Android app on my phone, too, but that's not a big improvement because of the small screen. (I think the main benefit is the improved keyboard.) To be useful, I'd want the app to provide a lot of self-contained UI that duplicated a lot of the existing basic functionality, and then added value on top of that.

Given that, there are some interesting things that could be done with a bigger screen and richer UI metaphor (ie, mouse or touchscreen). Some examples:
  • Drag and drop editing of Wish List priorities.
  • Multiple selection and delete of recordings.
  • "Create a Series Link" with customised defaults. It could have different defaults for different channels, so it gave you padding on BBC but not ITV.
  • Reminders (if VM are slow to add them).
  • Extend 28-day rule: keep track of all episodes recorded forever, and delete any duplicated recordings that TiVo tries to schedule.
  • Queue an arbitrary list of programmes to be sent to SCART (and HDMI) overnight, for archiving to external media.
  • Improve how recordings are listed in the equivalent of "My Shows", eg let the user control what information is included.
  • Better filtering of data. For example, the app could fetch all of the Hiccups entries but only show ones that matched criteria, eg:
    • Only show programmes from channels in the Favourites list.
    • Only show recordings that failed due to collisions; hide programmes that didn't record because they are repeats.
    • Allow searching for a named programme and/or a specific time.
  • Backup and restore of Wish Lists and Series Links.
  • Sharing of Series Links with other people (eg, emailing them to friends).
I don't know how much of this is possible but my impression is that the network interface is quite capable. Of course it would be a lot of work to do well, and I doubt it would be profitable, and I'm not really volunteering to do it myself.

There is also VM/TiVo's stance to consider. They can, and should, bring out their own apps for Android and Windows and Mac, as well as iPad, which could marginalise any third party ones. They could also try to kill third party apps by various legal and technical means. Although I'd like to think they don't mind. Series 4/VM boxes are more closed and locked-down than the series 1 boxes were, but if TiVo have designed the network interface well, it should be safe to use with no risk of people using it to, eg, pirate high-quality protected video. If I was them I'd seriously consider open-sourcing their iPad app and actively encouraging third parties to make TiVo better.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
Faz

Thumbs up

Nice one Andy!
Works flawlessly!

Plans for next release??

Cheers!

Faz
Faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:23 AM   #10
brightonjohn

This is a much appreciated application. I have already added some more channels to my list (especially the BBC and Classic FM Radio Stations) and also, cos it doesn't remember the network (ip) address for my TiVo I've made that the first item in my channel list in the form REM 192.168.1.107 - which of course may vary if other stuff is added and will be different for other users.
brightonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:59 AM   #11
apwheeler

I will fix the IP remembering bit at the weekend. Also someone over on DigitalSpy forums has very kindly completed the channellist.txt file so that all the channels are listed.

You can get the replacement channellist.txt file from here:

http://hotfile.com/dl/135732358/0dc7...llist.txt.html
Old 11-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #12
VirginMediaPhil

Well I finally got round to connecting the TiVo to the network and this is great. I can wirelessly control my TiVo from my lap.

This is much better than having to buy a new keyboard considering my current wired one doesn't even seem to work with it, possibly because it's an Apple keyboard.

One thing I've noticed is when on the Home menu, the My Shows button loads My Shows for a second before redirecting me back to Home. Only problem I've seen.

Thanks again.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #13
Faz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonjohn View Post
This is a much appreciated application. I have already added some more channels to my list (especially the BBC and Classic FM Radio Stations) and also, cos it doesn't remember the network (ip) address for my TiVo I've made that the first item in my channel list in the form REM 192.168.1.107 - which of course may vary if other stuff is added and will be different for other users.
You can assign a static IP from Settings, Network Connection, Change Network Settings.
Faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:12 AM   #14
apwheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginMediaPhil View Post
Well I finally got round to connecting the TiVo to the network and this is great. I can wirelessly control my TiVo from my lap.

This is much better than having to buy a new keyboard considering my current wired one doesn't even seem to work with it, possibly because it's an Apple keyboard.

One thing I've noticed is when on the Home menu, the My Shows button loads My Shows for a second before redirecting me back to Home. Only problem I've seen.

Thanks again.
Yeah... I cheated and made it send Home button twice... Still looking for the code to take you straight there.. The US TiVo code didn't seem to work.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
brightonjohn

Just one small and un-important observation. While this lovely little app is sitting on the desktop and connected the peanut apps on the iPhone and iPad can't connect it would seem. - Just in case anybody is wondering why those should suddenly have broken.
brightonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #16
cwaring
VM Tivo User

Okay. Stupid question time. I need to connect something like my old Netgear WPS606 to the Tivo and then add it to my home network first. Right?

Of course, my network starts 192 whilst my Tivo's IP starts 169. It will work, yes?

(Yes, networking is not my best subject )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with the new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Get
- TV Guide for Windows

cwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #17
OzSat
Very Nice Moderator

There are two IP addresses displayed on the TiVo network screen - the bottom one is the local network.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
dawn_mcgowan

Hello all, I was intrigued to read about this funky app, and decided to try it following my Tivo update to 15.2, but I cannot get it to work
can anyone help? it is saying it cannot connect to my tivo ip address. I am running Windows 7.
I tried 2 different ip addresses that are listed in my tivo settings 'cable modem connection ip' and 'ethernet connection ip'. neither worked. am i doing something really silly?
Thanks for your help.
Dawn
dawn_mcgowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #19
OzSat
Very Nice Moderator

There is a menu option on TiVo setup where to have to allow 'Network Remote Control'.

Even if it is on - switch it off - then on again.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #20
dawn_mcgowan

no it still doesn't want to know. if I go into my 'network diagnostics' screen it says 'failed' next to 'port configuration test'. do you think that could be the issue?
Old 11-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #21
Big Al

Fired this up and it worked 1st time (Windows 7) Nice little app, agree that there's lots of development potential. Have already been winding SWIMBO and the Kids up with it. ;o)

THANKS !!!!!
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #22
Paul Webster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn_mcgowan View Post
I tried 2 different ip addresses that are listed in my tivo settings 'cable modem connection ip' and 'ethernet connection ip'. neither worked. am i doing something really silly?
Does the Ethernet address (not the cable modem one) look similar to the IP address of your desktop machine?
Typically (but not necessarily) something like 192.168.1.xxx
Old 11-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #23
Tony Hoyle
Geek

Quote:
no it still doesn't want to know. if I go into my 'network diagnostics' screen it says 'failed' next to 'port configuration test'. do you think that could be the issue?
The port configuration test always fails.. ignore it.

Tivo will only talk to something within its own network* - and it also appears to be hardcoded to reject an IP not starting 192.168 (which caused *major* ballache on my network) - however you'll know if this is your problem as it'll keep messaging you about disabling the network every 5 minutes..!

If you go into settings/network the IP you want is under 'Ethernet connection details'.

* To simplify, in the common case the first 3 numbers need to be identical.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:35 AM   #24
stevelup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaring View Post
Of course, my network starts 192 whilst my Tivo's IP starts 169. It will work, yes?
It's currently showing 169 because it isn't connected. Once you have it successfully connected, the TiVo will change to show a 192 address.
stevelup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:10 AM   #25
cwaring
VM Tivo User

Ahh. Right. Yes. Of course Now all I have to do is find my Netgear bridge. It's here somewhere!

with the new

Get
- TV Guide for Windows

Old 11-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #26
dawn_mcgowan

my ethernet ip on the tivo begins 169. the ip on my laptop begins 192. whenever i enter the tivo ip into the remote control app it says 'not responding' for ages, and then says it cannot connect. p***ing me off now!
Old 11-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #27
dawn_mcgowan

also in the settings on tivo it mentions having to put in the media access key into each device for it to work. ive found the MAK on the tivo settings, but where do i enter that on my laptop / in the app??
Old 11-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #28
dawn_mcgowan

hold on.....is tivo wifi enabled, or do i need to physically plug a cable between my laptop and the tivo box?
Old 11-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #29
cwaring
VM Tivo User

Quote:
hold on.....is tivo wifi enabled..
No it isn't.

with the new

Get
- TV Guide for Windows

Old 11-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #30
Paul Webster

169... implies that the device timed out on getting an address via DHCP.
As you guessed ... no WIFi on a TiVo. You need Ethernet connection to something.