TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
Aero 1

Tell me about Kickstart 57

So my premiere has been wonky lately. recordings get messed up a day later. meaning, a day later after a show has been recorded, the show freezes, a few seconds later it comes back. you see some pixilation. so i figured it was a signal problem (OTA only), its not.

ive seen the show live while recording and its fine. i watch it a day later, its messed up. I transfer the show to my THD and it plays fine but i still see where the pixelation is "inserted" but it doesnt lock up the HD.

I also recorded the same show on the THD at the same time to rule out signal problems, i did. its the premiere, i figured it was the drive.

Now i do a kickstart 54, the drive failed the test. so now i do a kickstart 57. the powering up screen comes up, kickstart 57, and now the tivo is sitting there. nothing on the screen, the green light is on and it wont respond to remote comands, the yellow light wont blink and it didnt show me any menus like it did for KS 54.

did it just crap itself? or is it doing its thing and it will take a long time to come back?

also, if this drive is totally borked because i am seeing this problem. can it still be cloned and expanded with mfstools? or should i just go to dvrdude?

thanks.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
shwru980r

I think you're supposed to get a green screen. I would reboot and try the kickstart 57 again. It can take several attempts sometimes for the kickstart to run.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
pig_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
did it just crap itself? or is it doing its thing and it will take a long time to come back?
For a Premiere the Green Screen doesn't show up, it's just a blank screen. Let the TiVo run with the blank screen, it can take up to 3 hours or more to complete.
pig_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig_man View Post
For a Premiere the Green Screen doesn't show up, it's just a blank screen. Let the TiVo run with the blank screen, it can take up to 3 hours or more to complete.
Seems like that nice HD canvass would have been a good place to put a message to this effect???
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
unitron

Is there anyone out there who fully understands the differences between KS57 and 58?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Is there anyone out there who fully understands the differences between KS57 and 58?
Wherever I copied this from that person said 57 is the same as "mfsassert -please" which invokes both fsfix and mfscheck
. 58 only does "mfscheck". I think one checks the recordings while the other checks the file system. I think???

I apologize to the person who posted this originally but I didn't put your tag in my file. I'm not trying to plagiarize your comments so take credit if you like.

Kickstart code 6 2 - initialize E-SATA drive
Kickstart code 5 1 - software upgrade
Kickstart code 5 2 - emergency reinstall
-- this will act like you've received new software but will reinstall the existing software on the alternate root partition and boot it, particularly useful so you don't have to go trolling for backup images when your hacks fail.
Kickstart code 5 3 - BER testing
Kickstart code 5 4 - HDD test
Kickstart code 5 5 - Tuner/AFT test
Kickstart code 5 6 - software install
Kickstart code 5 7 - force MFS check
Kickstart code 5 8 - perform MFS cleanup
Tray open code 111 - will open tray
Old 11-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Wherever I copied this from that person said 57 is the same as "mfsassert -please" which invokes both fsfix and mfscheck
. 58 only does "mfscheck". I think one checks the recordings while the other checks the file system. I think???

I apologize to the person who posted this originally but I didn't put your tag in my file. I'm not trying to plagiarize your comments so take credit if you like.

Kickstart code 6 2 - initialize E-SATA drive
Kickstart code 5 1 - software upgrade
Kickstart code 5 2 - emergency reinstall
-- this will act like you've received new software but will reinstall the existing software on the alternate root partition and boot it, particularly useful so you don't have to go trolling for backup images when your hacks fail.
Kickstart code 5 3 - BER testing
Kickstart code 5 4 - HDD test
Kickstart code 5 5 - Tuner/AFT test
Kickstart code 5 6 - software install
Kickstart code 5 7 - force MFS check
Kickstart code 5 8 - perform MFS cleanup
Tray open code 111 - will open tray
Somewhere else I read that 58 does what 57 does and something else as well, so I don't know who to believe about what.

I think 51 is supposed to switch partitions to employ newly installed software (although if they sent down new software that should have triggered a bootpage re-write to do the same and a soft reboot), and 52 is supposed to undo (which really means re-do) a re-writing of the bootpage to swap boot partitions so that you go back to what you were running before they pushed the update.

As always, try at your own risk.

Is it just me, or does it seem that TiVos overall have more problems in the last 2 or 3 months of the year than at other times?

Old 11-20-2011, 01:42 AM   #8
Soapm

Quote:
Somewhere else I read that 58 does what 57 does and something else as well, so I don't know who to believe about what.
You're probably right. I've never been a good note taker.

My theory is I try one and if it doesn't do the trick I try the other...
Old 11-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Aero 1

if anyone cares or is interested, i just ended up buying a new tivo premiere from amazon for $75, pulled the drive, put it the lifetimed tivo and I am up and running with no hassle.

Tivo makes spare parts for cheap! for $75, i got a replacement drive, new remote, spare fan and power supply and some cables!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
if anyone cares or is interested, i just ended up buying a new tivo premiere from amazon for $75, pulled the drive, put it the lifetimed tivo and I am up and running with no hassle.

Tivo makes spare parts for cheap! for $75, i got a replacement drive, new remote, spare fan and power supply and some cables!
If you're convinced that the original drive is truly borked from a software standpoint (and apparently you've already written off all of the shows you had recorded on it), but you can get it to pass the manufacturer's diagnostic software long test, you should Xerox the new drive to it as a backup, since we can't do truncated backups on the S4s like the older models.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
Aero 1

Quote:
If you're convinced that the original drive is truly borked from a software standpoint (and apparently you've already written off all of the shows you had recorded on it), but you can get it to pass the manufacturer's diagnostic software long test, you should Xerox the new drive to it as a backup, since we can't do truncated backups on the S4s like the older models.
I know for a fact that the drive is borked, the clicking is a dead giveaway.

Besides, we are not a house of show hoarders. We lost 3 shows that was easily viewed on Hulu. We wouldn't benefit from expanded storage, a waste of money and time for our use.

For me, there is no reason to go through the trouble of cloning and expanding drives when I can just order a new TiVo for $75 from amazon on a Sunday and get it on Monday (my amazon prime is usually a day) . $75 for a bunch of spare parts the next day is a good deal.