TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
iqdizzy

New drive won't power up after WinMFS

Sorry if any of this might be answered in another thread but here is my issue. Iím upgrading a Tivo Series 3 HD TCD652160 unit from a 6 year old Seagate ST315005 1.5tb drive to a 2.0tb Western Digital WD20EURX green drive due to issues with the old drive making noises. The old drive still works fine, Iím just afraid itís on itís way out.

I used WinMFS 9.3 to copy the old drive to the new drive using the MFS Copy option. I chose the option to expand the drive after the copy completed. It took about 5 hours to copy all partitions with recordings over. When I connect the new drive to the TiVo itís clear the drive is not powering up and the TiVo stays on the Welcome Powering Up screen. When I connect the old drive it powers up and boots just fine. When I plug both drives back into the PC and run WinMFS I can see they are both listed as valid TiVo drives with all of the expected partitions in place.

I have tried the above procedures twice with no success. Any ideas on what to try would be greatly appreciated.

iqdizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:53 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqdizzy View Post
Sorry if any of this might be answered in another thread but here is my issue. Iím upgrading a Tivo Series 3 HD TCD652160 unit from a 6 year old Seagate ST315005 1.5tb drive to a 2.0tb Western Digital WD20EURX green drive due to issues with the old drive making noises. The old drive still works fine, Iím just afraid itís on itís way out.

I used WinMFS 9.3 to copy the old drive to the new drive using the MFS Copy option. I chose the option to expand the drive after the copy completed. It took about 5 hours to copy all partitions with recordings over. When I connect the new drive to the TiVo itís clear the drive is not powering up and the TiVo stays on the Welcome Powering Up screen. When I connect the old drive it powers up and boots just fine. When I plug both drives back into the PC and run WinMFS I can see they are both listed as valid TiVo drives with all of the expected partitions in place.

I have tried the above procedures twice with no success. Any ideas on what to try would be greatly appreciated.
Are you saying that you used WinMFS to copy the 1.5TB drive to the 2TB drive, and then when it finished that and said that you had extra space and asked if you wanted to expand you said YES?

Answer before trying anything else.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:16 AM   #3
iqdizzy

Correct. I answered Yes to the last question. I have since plugged in other SATA drives to the Tivo unit and all power on just fine. The new drive won't and I have no issues with it powering up on a PC.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
bitzerjdb

Check your power supply, I had exactly the same problem. My old drive worked fine but the new drive would not fire up at all. I checked the voltages and the Power Supply was going south. After fixing the power supply, the drive worked fine.

This was with a Series 3 OLED unit.

bitzerjdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
worachj

It used to be that you could only expand the original image to a larger size. Sounds like you tried to expand an image that was already expanded once before.

I would suspect its an image problem if you can hear the drive spin up.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Correct. I answered Yes to the last question. I have since plugged in other SATA drives to the Tivo unit and all power on just fine. The new drive won't and I have no issues with it powering up on a PC.
Using WinMFS, copy the 1.5 to the new 2 again.

It'll overwrite everything on the 2.

When it finishes and offers to expand, tell it NO.

(If it were me, I'd increase the swap partition size to 1000MB while doing the copy, as cheap insurance)

Then "select" the 2TB drive (you previously had to select the 1.5 to make it the source drive)

Click on

mfsinfo

If everything looks okay, including a partition map with a large Apple Free partition on the end, put the 2TB in the TiVo and see if it will boot.

If not, pull the plug and plug it in again and try to run KS 58

If you get it working, pull it, hook it to the PC again, run WinMFS again, select it again, and click on

mfsadd

to expand it.

But first you might want to make sure the power supply is okay.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
It used to be that you could only expand the original image to a larger size. Sounds like you tried to expand an image that was already expanded once before.

I would suspect its an image problem if you can hear the drive spin up.
With WinMFS, one can copy a drive with 3 MFS pairs to a larger drive, up to 1TB in an S1 or S2, up to 2TB in an S3 running 11.0h or newer, and

mfsadd

will enlarge the 3rd MFS Media partition to use up the rest of the space.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:35 PM   #8
worachj

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
With WinMFS, one can copy a drive with 3 MFS pairs to a larger drive, up to 1TB in an S1 or S2, up to 2TB in an S3 running 11.0h or newer, and

mfsadd

will enlarge the 3rd MFS Media partition to use up the rest of the space.
Thanks! So the key is running version 11.0h or newer. I know it wouldn't work for me when I tried to expand an image that was already expanded once before. I had to use the original image, but I don't recall which version it was using.

Thanks for clarifying.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:41 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
Thanks! So the key is running version 11.0h or newer. I know it wouldn't work for me when I tried to expand an image that was already expanded once before. I had to use the original image, but I don't recall which version it was using.

Thanks for clarifying.
The key to an S3 being able to use a 2TB in an S3 is 11.0h or later, but WinMFS will do that "expand a copy of an already expanded drive by enlarging the 3rd MFS Media partition" trick for S1s and S2s as well, but S1s and S2s can't seem to handle more than 1 TB on a single drive, or I'd have a couple or 3 4TB S2 DTs.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:06 AM   #10
iqdizzy

I was able to get everything working by purchasing another WD Green drive from a local retailer, which turned out to be model WD20EZRX. The WD20EURX model simply won't power up in the S3. I have no issues using it on other PC's and will probably repurpose it as a 2nd drive for a surveillance system. Just in case my power supply is having issues, I ordered a full set of 12 new capacitors. My current capacitors all visually look fine.

In regards to the WinMFS setup. I did a MFSCopy of the 1.5tb drive to the 2tb drive. Supersize was already enabled on the first image so that option was already set. When I answered yes to expand the drive to use all additional space, it left me with a drive that would boot up but eventually freeze. I was showing 318hrs of HD space but couldn't use the drive because of the rebooting issue. I recopied the drive and chose not to expand and now have 198hrs HD, which is the same thing my 1.5tb drive was reporting. I believe it's using 1.37tb total. If anyone has a recommendation on how to expand it correctly without the rebooting problem, I'd be interested. I'll keep the old drive handy in case I want to attempt the process again.

I'm running 11.0m.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:46 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
I was able to get everything working by purchasing another WD Green drive from a local retailer, which turned out to be model WD20EZRX. The WD20EURX model simply won't power up in the S3. I have no issues using it on other PC's and will probably repurpose it as a 2nd drive for a surveillance system. Just in case my power supply is having issues, I ordered a full set of 12 new capacitors. My current capacitors all visually look fine.

In regards to the WinMFS setup. I did a MFSCopy of the 1.5tb drive to the 2tb drive. Supersize was already enabled on the first image so that option was already set. When I answered yes to expand the drive to use all additional space, it left me with a drive that would boot up but eventually freeze. I was showing 318hrs of HD space but couldn't use the drive because of the rebooting issue. I recopied the drive and chose not to expand and now have 198hrs HD, which is the same thing my 1.5tb drive was reporting. I believe it's using 1.37tb total. If anyone has a recommendation on how to expand it correctly without the rebooting problem, I'd be interested. I'll keep the old drive handy in case I want to attempt the process again.

I'm running 11.0m.
On Series 1, 2, and 3 drives, do not do expansion as a part of restoring an image to a larger than stock drive or copying a source drive to a larger target drive.

With WinMFS, this means that when it finishes the restore or copy operation and says you have extra space and asks if you want to expand, you tell it NO.

With the MFS Live cd, this means that you don't use the

-x

option on the command line when using the

restore

command.

And you can skip

-z

as well.

Then, with either software, use

mfsinfo

to check the target drive to see if it looks okay.

Then you can do the expansion as a separate step with

mfsadd

On the command line you specify at which drive a command is aimed in the unix/Linux style, like

/dev/sda

if it's the first SATA drive on the system, or

/dev/hdb

if it's the second PATA/IDE drive on the system.

With WinMFS you have to click on Select, and then choose the drive.

When you copy a drive, you select the source drive and then specify the target drive.

When that finishes, the source drive is still the targeted one, so you need to go back and select the target drive before using

mfsinfo

or

mfsadd

And you can use

mfsadd as much later as you want, a minute, an hour, a year, whatever.