TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Dr.Empirical
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
Why would I ever let Tivo Suggestions change my channel?

Occasionally, I'll be watching live TV and Tivo will ask permission to change the channel to record a Tivo suggestion. Why would I want to do that? I'm watching something!

The answer to that question will ALWAYS be "No!" How can I get Tivo to stop interrupting my shows without turning off Tivo Suggestions altogether?
Dr.Empirical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
SullyND
L: 28-31
 
SullyND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago Burbs
Posts: 7,683
How is TiVo supposed to know you are watching something? If the answer is ALWAYS "No!" Suggestions would never record.
__________________
Earl: A purpose is a great thing to have, it gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
Randy: So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Earl: Exactly.
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut
 
ThreeSoFar'sBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 1,444
You can turn off suggestions.

Navigate to TiVo Central > Messages & Settings > Settings > Recording > TiVo Suggestions.
ThreeSoFar'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: boston'ish
Posts: 7,923
It's not asking you because it expects you to answer NO, it asks because it's assuming no one is watching and the answer is "YES change the channel" but it wants to be safe.
__________________
"There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."
dianebrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
replaytv
elects "cold sleep"
 
replaytv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver ish Colorado
Posts: 4,027
Have two Tivos with one with suggestions 'ON' and the other one suggestions 'off'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Empirical View Post
Occasionally, I'll be watching live TV and Tivo will ask permission to change the channel to record a Tivo suggestion. Why would I want to do that? I'm watching something!

The answer to that question will ALWAYS be "No!" How can I get Tivo to stop interrupting my shows without turning off Tivo Suggestions altogether?
then you get both worlds
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Soapm
Registered User
 
Soapm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: So close, yet too far away
Posts: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
It's not asking you because it expects you to answer NO, it asks because it's assuming no one is watching and the answer is "YES change the channel" but it wants to be safe.
Yep, that's the safety mechanism that keeps it from changing the channel in the middle of your show. You could turn off suggestions if you don't like being disturbed but then you would never see the new shows that match your regular viewing. I like the suggestions personally...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,427
You obviously aren't using your tivo correctly. If you ff through commercials, the Tivo wouldn't ask because it would know you are watching something. It's the lack of remote control activity that tells the tivo that it's not in use for live tv viewing and a suggestion can be recorded, but it plays it safe by asking.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:46 PM   #8
tivohaydon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 186
With HDMI connected sets it could easily not record suggestions if the TV was on and you were using a tuner for live TV.

But, of course TiVo stopped implementing nice new features that help the viewer long ago.
tivohaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #9
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivohaydon View Post
With HDMI connected sets it could easily not record suggestions if the TV was on and you were using a tuner for live TV.

But, of course TiVo stopped implementing nice new features that help the viewer long ago.
So the TiVo is supposed to assume that just because you are watching live TV, you don't want to record the suggestion. GMAB. Just turn off suggestions. I do. I'm backed up enough on my viewing w/o the TiVo adding to it.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
Chris Gerhard
Registered User
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: AR
Posts: 5,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivohaydon View Post
With HDMI connected sets it could easily not record suggestions if the TV was on and you were using a tuner for live TV.

But, of course TiVo stopped implementing nice new features that help the viewer long ago.
If it so easy, go ahead and write the code and send it to TiVo. I don't know it is easy for the TiVo to communicate with the display or if all displays can communicate with TiVo, some older displays with HDMI are not able to communicate well at all and relying on that ability will likely leave some TiVos working as wanted, others not.

This issue is a non-issue in any event, turn of suggestions if you will never want TiVo to change the channel to record suggestions.
__________________
Home Theater - OTA TiVoHD/1.16TB/NSZ-GS8 GTV
MBR - OTA TiVoHD/660GB/NSZ-GT1 GTV
Den - OTA TiVo Premiere/2TB/NSZ-GT1 GTV
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #11
jrtroo
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,600
I never have this come up, as I never watch live tv. Even sporting events are worth recording and joining in progress.

If you think through the scenarios that apply to the most users, not just yourself, the popup is the least intrusive. If you want to avoid it, just hit record and it will not record any suggestions during the show.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
Grakthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 717
Bi-directional communications via HDMI works great... if you have a set made in the last 2-3 years that doesn't go through any switch that might strip out the data, convert the signal to DVI or use an HDCP striping adapter or anything like that.

So, yeah, I am sure roughly 10% of TiVo users would enjoy that feature. Maybe we should have them devote all of their time to that. That seems productive.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
smbaker
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 15,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
So, yeah, I am sure roughly 10% of TiVo users would enjoy that feature. Maybe we should have them devote all of their time to that. That seems productive.
Program for the future and for the common case. If most new TVs will have the bidirectional communication ability, and most users will connect the Tivo directly to the TV, then it makes sense for Tivo to be implementing that feature.

It'd have an added side effect of being able to save power when the TV is not on to stop needless buffering.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
Krandor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivohaydon View Post
With HDMI connected sets it could easily not record suggestions if the TV was on and you were using a tuner for live TV.

But, of course TiVo stopped implementing nice new features that help the viewer long ago.
How would that work if the HDMI cable went to an AVR and then from the AVR to the TV? Would it see the AVR as "TV on" and not record suggestions.
Krandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #15
Emacee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 159
One option: I have Record Suggestions turned off. But every once in a while I check the list of Tivo Suggestions in the Find Programs menu to see if anything looks interesting. If I see something, I tell Tivo to record it.
__________________
Tivo Premiere w/ Comcast Xfinity
20.4.4*
TiVo Series3 HD (with upgraded 1g hard drive) w/ Antenna
Previously:
Hughes DirecTivo (02-06)
Phillips Series1 (99-03)
Emacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #16
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivohaydon View Post
With HDMI connected sets it could easily not record suggestions if the TV was on and you were using a tuner for live TV.

But, of course TiVo stopped implementing nice new features that help the viewer long ago.

As it is now Tivo asks if you want it to change the channel to record a suggestion because you may or may not actually be watching live TV.
How would this HDMI method be any different? A TV that is powered on is not necessarily being watched so the Tivo would still play it safe and ask.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #17
macgyver58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
How is TiVo supposed to know you are watching something? If the answer is ALWAYS "No!" Suggestions would never record.
Isn't there some way the software could record the fact that you have actively put the unit on the channel its on and that you are actually watching it? Obviously it doesn't have eyes and doesn't know that you are sitting there on the couch with eyeballs on the screen but you have handled the remote and have selected the channel. There should be a way to design the software so that it only recommends Tivo suggestion if there has been no input from the remote in the past hour or so. If it doesn't know you are watching something already then why does it ask? If it does know you are watching something it should leave you alone.

I agree with the OP. Why would you ever want Tivo to switch the channel when you are already watching something? It really is annoying. Especially if you get up to use the bathroom and you come back to find the channel has been changed but don't realize it for a bit because there are commercials on. It's enough of an annoyance that I may just turn off suggestions completely if there is no other solution. It seems like a pretty easy software fix though if the tivo people had any desire to do so.
macgyver58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #18
jrtroo
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,600
This makes no sense. Read the other posts that already describe this. It does not know if you are watching the tuners live.

I want my tivo pulling in suggestions, the more I have the more I have to choose from, even if I delete them (after providing thumbs).

If you care, either turn off suggestions or just watch live tv through the tv tuner. Or, just record the thing you are watching.

How often do people on this board, or with a tivo at all, ever watch live tv? Why? (I get it with groups and sporting events, but if alone, why not record the game, watch something else, and then skip the commercials/halftime junk).
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #19
Chris Gerhard
Registered User
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: AR
Posts: 5,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
This makes no sense. Read the other posts that already describe this. It does not know if you are watching the tuners live.

I want my tivo pulling in suggestions, the more I have the more I have to choose from, even if I delete them (after providing thumbs).

If you care, either turn off suggestions or just watch live tv through the tv tuner. Or, just record the thing you are watching.

How often do people on this board, or with a tivo at all, ever watch live tv? Why? (I get it with groups and sporting events, but if alone, why not record the game, watch something else, and then skip the commercials/halftime junk).
This is just one of many issues people whine about here. They will claim it is easy for TiVo to develop software that will enable the DVR to know the TV is on and should stay on that channel without asking. It should be possible with HDMI connection according to them, obviously component or any other connection isn't possible so it is a feature if possible at all, that won't work for everyone to begin with. I have seen the complaints before but I don't think it would be a very easy feature to implement at all and I don't think we will ever see it. I would just turn of suggestions if being asked annoyed me.
__________________
Home Theater - OTA TiVoHD/1.16TB/NSZ-GS8 GTV
MBR - OTA TiVoHD/660GB/NSZ-GT1 GTV
Den - OTA TiVo Premiere/2TB/NSZ-GT1 GTV
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
macgyver58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 53
OK cut the crap. What a bunch of knuckleheads. What i asked was a simple question. The tivo responds to the remote. Seriously , how hard would it be to write into the software a timer that resets everytime the remote is used for anything?? Pretty simple stuff actually. The owner could then set the Tivo not to send any channel requests for Tivo suggestions if the remote had been used in the past 15, 30 60 minutes or however you want to set it.

This isnt rocket science guys. Chill out a bit.
macgyver58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #21
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver58 View Post
OK cut the crap. What a bunch of knuckleheads. What i asked was a simple question. The tivo responds to the remote. Seriously , how hard would it be to write into the software a timer that resets everytime the remote is used for anything?? Pretty simple stuff actually. The owner could then set the Tivo not to send any channel requests for Tivo suggestions if the remote had been used in the past 15, 30 60 minutes or however you want to set it.

This isnt rocket science guys. Chill out a bit.
Chill out yourself. Just turn off suggestions. Or record what you are watching. There are too many real issues with TiVo s/w for them to devote any resources to this, especially considering the fact that unless they make it a configurable option somebody is going to be unhappy, all to save you a couple of key presses.

You're right, it isn't rocket science, it's computer programming. I've worked with rocket scientists and most of them were rotten programmers.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #22
johnf@home
Registered User
 
johnf@home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
Program for the future and for the common case. If most new TVs will have the bidirectional communication ability, and most users will connect the Tivo directly to the TV, then it makes sense for Tivo to be implementing that feature.

It'd have an added side effect of being able to save power when the TV is not on to stop needless buffering.
That would be a definite misfeature.

I've occasionally turned on the TV, and seen that I was joining a show in
progress that looked as though it might be worth taking a look at. Being
able to go back 20 minutes or so and catch the start of the show is handy.
__________________
Hello. My name is Darth Vader. I am your father. Prepare to die.
johnf@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #23
macgyver58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Chill out yourself. Just turn off suggestions. Or record what you are watching. There are too many real issues with TiVo s/w for them to devote any resources to this, especially considering the fact that unless they make it a configurable option somebody is going to be unhappy, all to save you a couple of key presses.

You're right, it isn't rocket science, it's computer programming. I've worked with rocket scientists and most of them were rotten programmers.
Sorry. I lost my cool a bit. I love when someone thinks their suggestion are brilliant but anytime someone else thinks something needs improving, its just whining. Forums do seem to have their disproportionate share of self absorbed individuals though.

I disagree that this couldnt be resolved easily though. A high school kid could write this stuff in an afternoon. Its not a major change. Anyway I got the answer I came here for. The option does not currently exist. There's no sense arguing about whether Tivo should invest resources in fixing this since we have no control over that.
macgyver58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #24
Grakthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver58 View Post
OK cut the crap. What a bunch of knuckleheads. What i asked was a simple question. The tivo responds to the remote. Seriously , how hard would it be to write into the software a timer that resets everytime the remote is used for anything?? Pretty simple stuff actually. The owner could then set the Tivo not to send any channel requests for Tivo suggestions if the remote had been used in the past 15, 30 60 minutes or however you want to set it.

This isnt rocket science guys. Chill out a bit.
As a developer, I would NEVER let that solution walk out my door. Neither would any software developer. That's a hack at best. We usually call those "noisy proxies." I.E. We want to respond to what a user wants, but we don't know what a user actually wants, so we come up with some shaky approximation.

Imagine, I turned off my TV and walked out. Now for 60 minutes you're not going to record tivo suggestions?

Imagine my cat stepped on the remote? You've just turned off tivo suggestions for 60 minutes.

Imagine I am watching TV but not changing channels because I am watching a movie? TiVo suggestions are going to start popping up.

So, what you've done is given the IMPRESSION you've dealt with the issue, but what you've ACTUALLY done is made the issue happen less at the expense of harming functionality.

What you do in development when you run into something like this is you simply do not implement the feature until you can do it right.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #25
macgyver58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
As a developer, I would NEVER let that solution walk out my door. Neither would any software developer. That's a hack at best. We usually call those "noisy proxies." I.E. We want to respond to what a user wants, but we don't know what a user actually wants, so we come up with some shaky approximation.

Imagine, I turned off my TV and walked out. Now for 60 minutes you're not going to record tivo suggestions?

Imagine my cat stepped on the remote? You've just turned off tivo suggestions for 60 minutes.

Imagine I am watching TV but not changing channels because I am watching a movie? TiVo suggestions are going to start popping up.

So, what you've done is given the IMPRESSION you've dealt with the issue, but what you've ACTUALLY done is made the issue happen less at the expense of harming functionality.

What you do in development when you run into something like this is you simply do not implement the feature until you can do it right.
I disagree. What you're saying is that you don't implement a solution unless its a perfect solution. That's just not true. There are no perfect solutions. TiVo itself is an imperfect solution as this forum can attest to. Every tweak you make to software that allows it to work better than it did is an improvement even if its flawed. All solutions are flawed.
macgyver58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #26
jrtroo
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,600
Go ahead and disagree. Feel free. It is still silly, and what is the benefit? At most two button presses.

I much prefer to have tivo record as many suggestions as possible for me to choose from. If you truly weigh the options, the change would impair more than it benefits.

In addition, there are many more things for Tivo to spend their limited programming resources on. We have seen some great things lately, and the upcomming changes look great as well.

Why are people watching live TV? I still don't get it, why do you have a tivo if not taking advantage of its primary feature?
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #27
shwru980r
Registered User
 
shwru980r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,408
If you have a learning remote, you could program the key sequences to turn off recording of suggestions for one key and program the key sequences to turn on recording of suggestions for another key. Then when you start watching live TV press the off key and when your are done press the on key.
__________________

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #28
macgyver58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Go ahead and disagree. Feel free. It is still silly, and what is the benefit? At most two button presses.

I much prefer to have tivo record as many suggestions as possible for me to choose from. If you truly weigh the options, the change would impair more than it benefits.

In addition, there are many more things for Tivo to spend their limited programming resources on. We have seen some great things lately, and the upcomming changes look great as well.

Why are people watching live TV? I still don't get it, why do you have a tivo if not taking advantage of its primary feature?
We like watching live TV. Aside from sports and breaking news there are shows we like to see when they are first aired, not hours or days later. Not everyone wants to be a slave to the remote zipping through every commercial just to maximize every minute of TV watching.

I've already described the advantages of my suggestion. You wouldnt be interrupted in the middle of show at potential a critical point. Not everyone watching our TV is familiar with Tivo and they dont always know what to do when the message comes up. Sometimes you step out of the room during a commercial and it switches channels on you.

We use Tivo to time shift lots of programs or record something thats on when another show is on. You really need to open your mind and realize that not everyone does everything the same way you do, nor should they. Tivo is a box. Your life shouldn't be.
macgyver58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #29
Chris Gerhard
Registered User
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: AR
Posts: 5,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver58 View Post
OK cut the crap. What a bunch of knuckleheads. What i asked was a simple question. The tivo responds to the remote. Seriously , how hard would it be to write into the software a timer that resets everytime the remote is used for anything?? Pretty simple stuff actually. The owner could then set the Tivo not to send any channel requests for Tivo suggestions if the remote had been used in the past 15, 30 60 minutes or however you want to set it.

This isnt rocket science guys. Chill out a bit.
Ha, pretty funny post. Watching TV without hitting the remote, the TiVo will ask if you want to change channels to record a suggestion. Wouldn't you whine about that also?
__________________
Home Theater - OTA TiVoHD/1.16TB/NSZ-GS8 GTV
MBR - OTA TiVoHD/660GB/NSZ-GT1 GTV
Den - OTA TiVo Premiere/2TB/NSZ-GT1 GTV
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #30
macgyver58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
Ha, pretty funny post. Watching TV without hitting the remote, the TiVo will ask if you want to change channels to record a suggestion. Wouldn't you whine about that also?
You might want to clarify. This makes no sense at all. You may find it helps to actually read the thread before you respond.
macgyver58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |