TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
TexasGrillChef

DO NOT DELETE "THX OPTIMIZER" video!!!

I was just informed that if you delete the THX OPTIMIZER video from your TiVo Premier Elite that you can't get it back, short of exchanging your TiVo.

I set up my elite on an older TV set. I deleted the video because it took up space & cluttered up my TV "My Shows" listing.

Today I got a new TV set. Wanted to "Optimize" it with the included glasses.

No luck... Video is Not available short of replacing the unit.

No where in the box, or on the box, or on any support pages (at the time of this posting) was any notification about deleting that video.

I have written a few emails to TiVo in regards this...

Thought I would give you all a FYI...

TGC
TexasGrillChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
TexasGrillChef

to the moderator... We need to make a sticky of this thread, or you can create one.

Owners of the new ELITE unit, need to be aware NOT to delete the THX Optimizer video in case they ever want to get a new TV screen, or put their TiVo Elite on a different TV set.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
djwilso

Yep, I deleted mine too. I was pretty pissed at myself when I realized there was no way to undelete it.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
gamo62

Was this available on the PremiereXL? I have tried transferring it to the computer. Even though it is supposedly not copy protected, it fails. I can't transfer it from the Elite.

There should be a way to write protect that file.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:02 AM   #5
TexasGrillChef

I don't know it was on the XML or not

I tried before I deleted it to transfer it to another computer or TiVo

Tgc
Old 11-03-2011, 06:17 AM   #6
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrillChef View Post
to the moderator... We need to make a sticky of this thread, or you can create one.

Owners of the new ELITE unit, need to be aware NOT to delete the THX Optimizer video in case they ever want to get a new TV screen, or put their TiVo Elite on a different TV set.
While I agree that it's not cool that there's no way to get it back I think the statement above is a bit over the top, it's not that you can't EVER get a new TV or move the DVR, it's just that one of many options to calibrate it is no longer at hand.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
I WANT MORE

I am unable to transfer the THX video from my Premier XL to my Premier.
I WANT MORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
While I agree that it's not cool that there's no way to get it back I think the statement above is a bit over the top, it's not that you can't EVER get a new TV or move the DVR, it's just that one of many options to calibrate it is no longer at hand.
I agree. It's simply common sense that once you delete something, it's gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Didn't people go through the same thing with the S3 box or at least the Premiere XL box? I thought this was the case with all the THX certified TiVos that had the optimizer?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
ADG
Allan

My S3's did not contain and optimizer vid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
My S3's did not contain and optimizer vid.
I couldn't remember if they did or not. Then it was just the premiere XL boxes.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #12
TexasGrillChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
So are you saying that Elite owners SHOULDN'T be alerted or notified of this issue?

TGC
Old 11-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
TexasGrillChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
I agree. It's simply common sense that once you delete something, it's gone.
Thats not always true.

If I delete TiVo Desktop + from my computer, I can re download the program from TiVo.com & reinstall it.

If I delete music I purchased from iTunes, I can also re download it.

If I puchase music or movies or books from Amazon, I can re download it even if I delete it off my computer, or Amazon fire, or Kindle, etc....

If I delete a show I downloaded via a podcast/internet. I can redownload it.

Etc...

The list can go on....

TGC
Old 11-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
So are you saying that Elite owners SHOULDN'T be alerted or notified of this issue?

TGC
I'm saying in many cases and for many people it's NBD, and certainly not ALL CAPS STICKY WORTHY, in my personal opinion.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
Arcady
Stargate Fan

The real question is, if you delete a show from your TiVo, can you re-download it? The answer has always been no.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #16
steve614
what ru lookin at?

When deleted, does the optimizer video go to the RD folder?

If not, then I think the warning is warranted.

Having said that, a lot of DVD's have a THX optimizer (who doesn't have Star Wars on DVD?), what's wrong with just using that?

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614

Having said that, a lot of DVD's have a THX optimizer (who doesn't have Star Wars on DVD?), what's wrong with just using that?
It's a DVD first of all, so that would be SD which is different settings than HD. Secondly you want the setting adjusted for the specific input device. So it needs to be output from that device.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #18
lessd

Also one should note that a C&D all will remove the THX video from your XL TiVo, and i know no way to get it back on that TiVo, so if you purchase a upgrade/replacement drive you will not have that THX video. I keep the original hard drive of my TPXL, if my 2TB drive ever failed, I can remake another 2Tb drive and have the THX video on the new drive.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:27 AM   #19
TexasGrillChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
The real question is, if you delete a show from your TiVo, can you re-download it? The answer has always been no.
Again it depends on what show your talking about, and how it got put on your TiVo in the first place as well as if the show was copy protected or not.
Many shows that I have "Recorded" that aren't copy protected I moved to My NAS. Then deleted. If I want to watch it again, I transfer it from my NAS back to the TiVo.

Short of copy protection, about 95% of the shows that are on our TiVo's can be obtained & put back on our TiVo's, or watched from our TiVo's in one fashion or the other. Maybe not "immediately" but given a little time, eventually. None of which require exchanging your TiVo.

You also have the "deleted" folder, which you can Undelete shows you have deleted. Provided that you haven't recorded to much between the time you delete and the time you wish to recover.

TGC
Old 11-04-2011, 02:37 AM   #20
TexasGrillChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

Oh I have several good Blu-ray optimizer discs All work great.

Here is a fact though. Each input, each device has different "levels" of output and quality to the TV.

My TV actually has a different colour, Brightness, contrast etc... setting for EACH input the TV has. So EACH input can be set differently. Both my old TV and my new TV had this.

There WAS a big difference in those settings between the use of my Blu-ray player, and those that I had set for the TiVo Elite. As well as for the XBox 360, and other devices that I have as well.

So having a Blu-ray THX opitmizer disc is great, but only really works on setting the correct levels for the Blu-ray.

I do have the capability to rip Blu-rays, & in the mean time I have, and then transfered the video to my Elite and then made the apropriate corrections. However, in this ripping, coversion & transfer process. Quality was lost & changed. It apparently isn't possible to transfer the original Blu-ray file with 100% quality intact to the TiVo, either with TD+ or PyTiVo. Somewhere something is getting obviously changed.

I will admit it is better than nothing, but it isn't the ideal solution. I DO feel that I AM loosing functionality of my TiVo Elite that I did PAY for. I am not unable to optimize my TV for the TiVo Elite using the included glasses.

BTW the transfer of the Blu-ray Rip, doesn't make use of the glasses, so isn't as accurate as well.

For those elite owners who want and desire the best settings possible, then we have lost this featue in our Elite units if we have deleted it. OR in the least, we have to keep it around, taking up space on our hard drives, so that we don't really get the maxiumum recording space we should have, and it clutters up our "My Shows" list.

I will admit, if your hooking up an elite to a 32" $200 LCD TV, the optimizer probably isn't going to do you much good. However, I am hooking my Elite up to a 70" $6,000 LED TV. So YES it does make a difference.

TGC
Old 11-04-2011, 02:40 AM   #21
TexasGrillChef

Here is one other intersting note...

Which I wonder why they just didn't embed the video in part of their DVR Diagnostics screen or wherever. As when we reboot our TiVo's, We have that short "Start up" video that never seems to go away. It's always there. Why can't they do something like that with the THX optimizer video? Embed it somewehre in the menu systems.

2nd... Since they download a bunch of advert stuff, why cououldn't they do the same with the THX optimizer video?
Old 11-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #22
BigJimOutlaw

For what it's worth, any Tivo owner can also grab the AVSHD 709 files from the AVS forum (the MP4 version) and copy the mpeg4 videos to the HD Tivos they would like to calibrate.

I used pytivo to transfer the files. The encoding changes are minimal. I was able to use identical TV settings for both the bluray and Tivo connections.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 11-04-2011 at 11:21 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #23
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

This just goes to show the level of competence at Tivo. I can understand not wanting to setup a system that allows users to re-download the video. I don't understand why they put copy protection on these videos or why they can't just put the videos up on their website or even youtube.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

Maybe it is required to be copy protected by THX? Since it is their content and not TiVos. So TiVo would have no say in it.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #25
TexasGrillChef

UPADTE....

Today I went to my computer that runs TiVo Desktop + to transfer over a bunch of TV Show, Movies etc from my TiVo Elite to my Computer & NAS.

As of TODAY..... The "THX Optimizer" Video is NO LONGER Copy Protected. I was able to successfully transfer the video off to my computer.

The Video played just fine on my computer running TD+

I then transfered to another Premiere (NON Elite) TiVO... it played just fine!

For those of you who are wondering how I got my "THX Optimizer" video back after I deleted this is how I did it. I was still under my 30 day return policy from Best Buy. I EXCHANGED the unit at Best Buy on thursday. I called the cable company (TWC) and in within a few hours my new Elite was back online and working with TWC. Both Friday & Saturday still ahd the Video as being copy protected, yet I was able to transfer all other videos.

So NOW I have a BACKUP copy on my NAS system that I can easily transfer back to the TiVo should I ever get a new TV set.

Additional Info. I did try with pyTiVo and it wouldn't transfer. That doesn't mean that pyTiVo wouldn't work. Just that I wasn't succesfull useing pyTiVo.o

So if you have TD+, see if you can transfer the THX OPTIMIZER video now.

TGC
Old 11-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #26
L David Matheny

Quote:
Today I went to my computer that runs TiVo Desktop + to transfer over a bunch of TV Show, Movies etc from my TiVo Elite to my Computer & NAS.

As of TODAY..... The "THX Optimizer" Video is NO LONGER Copy Protected. I was able to successfully transfer the video off to my computer.

The Video played just fine on my computer running TD+

I then transfered to another Premiere (NON Elite) TiVO... it played just fine!
So, if you've got it on your computer, could you transfer a copy to another computer ... like mine? Or (really more to the point) to the computers of people who mistakenly deleted their copies?
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #27
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

Quote:
UPADTE....

[snip]

So if you have TD+, see if you can transfer the THX OPTIMIZER video now.

TGC
I don't know if there is any difference between the download capability between the free TiVo Desktop and the Plus version, but since day 1 the THX optimizer has never shown copy protected on my Elite. It has always shown as transferable to KMTTG, TD, and my other Premieres, but anytime I've tried to actually move it, it claims to successfully transfer it, but all I get is a 0 byte file.
PrimeRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #28
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Maybe it is required to be copy protected by THX? Since it is their content and not TiVos. So TiVo would have no say in it.
That could be true but the other Tivo videos that are provided on new boxes are also copy protected. I don't know if they can be re-downloaded or not.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #29
whompus60

Wait. So the elite has thx optimizer video? It is not the thx media director enabled?
whompus60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #30
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeRisk View Post
I don't know if there is any difference between the download capability between the free TiVo Desktop and the Plus version, but since day 1 the THX optimizer has never shown copy protected on my Elite. It has always shown as transferable to KMTTG, TD, and my other Premieres, but anytime I've tried to actually move it, it claims to successfully transfer it, but all I get is a 0 byte file.
You also can't do MRV with the THX video. It is a special file given it has always shown as transferable. It will fail though.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote