TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
pkerr

Convert .tivo to mpg or ??

Pretty sure this must have been discussed somewhere but I need to convert a .tivo to an .mpg or other PC compatible format.

I've tried DirectShowDump? but the format .tivo wasn't one of the options that was availalbe in the menu.

Suggestions ot point me to the discussion?

Thanks
pkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
Amnesia
The Question

A simple Google search will show some answers...
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkerr View Post
Pretty sure this must have been discussed somewhere but I need to convert a .tivo to an .mpg or other PC compatible format
LINK
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Get KMTTG.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
jbernardis

KMTTG will do what you want - including retrieving the show from the tivo, but it is just a front end for several tools.

The .tivo file is basically an mpg file with the tivo wrapper around it. To convert it to an mpg, you want tivodecode. You will need to supply your TSN when you use it since that is the decryption key. This will result in a mpg file which you can then do other things with such as remove commercials, or transcode into a different format.

But again, kmttg automates a lot of this and is worth investiigating.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
lew

A person who isn't going to take the time to google or to check this site isn't a good candidate for an open source solution.

I'd suggest purchasing videoredo. Second best would be whatever tivo is currently suggesting (roxio?)
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

VideoReDo works great. I've been using it for years with my .tivo files with no issues.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
TroyM

+1 for VideoRedo

I've been using it for years in conjunction with Galleon. It works perfectly every time and allows you to edit out the commercials at the same time.

Cons: It isn't free

Last edited by TroyM : 10-31-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Typo
TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
petew

I believe VideoRedo and Directshowdump all require that Tivodesktop be installed since it's the directshow filters that tivodekstop installs that do the decoding.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
pkerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
A person who isn't going to take the time to google or to check this site isn't a good candidate for an open source solution.

I'd suggest purchasing videoredo. Second best would be whatever tivo is currently suggesting (roxio?)
Hmmm..
And how would you know I didn't google it? If you read my post I mentioned I tried Directshowdump but the .tivo format wasn't listed as a file to use. When I directed it to my folder where the .tivo file was located it didn't see any files. hence the post here.

I did dl kmttg but wan't comfortable giving it my tivo code. If that is something that is normal then I'll consider it.

But back to Directshoedump... any explaination on why the .tivo extension isn't there?

Thanks...
Old 10-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I use KMTTG whenever I need to download off my Tivo. No one else can use your Media Access Key unless they are on your network, nor can they transfer from your Tivos.

~~~~~

Old 10-31-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
The .tivo file is basically an mpg file with the tivo wrapper around it. To convert it to an mpg, you want tivodecode. You will need to supply your TSN when you use it since that is the decryption key.
Though "when you use it" can also mean in a dot file, so you don't have to manually supply it each time.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #13
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
You will need to supply your TSN when you use it since that is the decryption key. This will result in a mpg file which you can then do other things with such as remove commercials, or transcode into a different format.
That should be MAK.

~~~~~

Old 11-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #14
pkerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
I believe VideoRedo and Directshowdump all require that Tivodesktop be installed since it's the directshow filters that tivodekstop installs that do the decoding.
And THAT was what I discovered last night. I had been trying to use Directshowdump on a PC that didn't have the Tivo desktop installed. (I copied the files to a non Tivodesktop PC as it is newer and better)

Once I tried Directshowdump on the PC that had the Tivodesktop, the .tivo extension showed up in Directshowdump and the conversion went without a hitch.

Thank you for pointing that out. If I wouldn't have discovered that by experimenting, your tip would have been perfect. I would imagine there are others like me who will now discover the "secret" thanks to you!

Last edited by pkerr : 11-01-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

I guess we should have mentioned it. Sorry about that. At least there is a free version of TiVo Desktop.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote