TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
h0sti1e17

This Channel is Not Authorized

I got a new Premiere on Thursday and have several channels saying this. First a cable card screen comes up giving me the Phone # for my cable provider, Cable Card ID and Host ID. After I it clear it has the banner at the bottom that says "This Channel is Not Authorized". After contacting my cable company (Cox Northern VA) they sent a hit and said give it an hour. No change so I called again they said they need to send a tech out. One is coming out tomorrow. I also have a tuning adapter. I had a TiVo HD before this, and all these channels work fine. I am basically missing my HBOs, Cinemax channels, and mainly my sports channels (NFL, NHL, NBA networks, BigTen Network ect ect).

To me this sounds more like something on their back end and not giving me proper authorization, but after 3 calls if that was the case I am guessing they would have figured it out.

My questions are this...Is there something else to check on my end before them come out? Is there something I should have them check? Could this be the TiVo? If there is no chance it is the TiVo, I don't want them to give me that answer.

Thanks in Advance
h0sti1e17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I had the same messages on most of the non-local HD channels when they installed a CableCard in my Elite this morning. The person at the cable company sent another "hit" to the card and it started working fine. There should be no reason to have a truck roll.
Premiere (320GB) w/ MoCA adapter
Mini

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
garys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I had the same messages on most of the non-local HD channels when they installed a CableCard in my Elite this morning. The person at the cable company sent another "hit" to the card and it started working fine. There should be no reason to have a truck roll.
I've spent seriously about 8 hours on the phone with Comcast over the past 24 hours. They can't get either of my Elites working. The sad thing for Tivo is that this is Comcast's screw up, and I'm going to end up returning my Tivos (within the 30 day full refund window) because four tuners are useless if they can't tune anything.

They are sending a tech over tomorrow who I'm sure will not be able to fix this.
garys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0sti1e17 View Post
To me this sounds more like something on their back end and not giving me proper authorization, but after 3 calls if that was the case I am guessing they would have figured it out.

My questions are this...Is there something else to check on my end before them come out? Is there something I should have them check? Could this be the TiVo?
It is a head-end problem. There is absolutely nothing a field visit is going to change. They do not have the card properly authorized/staged.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
h0sti1e17

That is what I thought. I don't think a tech will fix it. Maybe when he gets here he will be able to get someone on his end to check it after he changes the CableCard. From what I understand the only change they made was changing the equipment from 2 single stream cards to 1 multi stream card. I just don't see how what I am authorized for could have changed.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
gtaylor

I had a similar problem.

Comcast did a truck roll and I ended up with three techs onsite at the same time, all on their phones to different desks.

One of their contacts determined that my (self-installed) CableCard had been activated as a cable modem. They flipped that remotely and in about 12 minutes all was good.

gary
gtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
It is a head-end problem. There is absolutely nothing a field visit is going to change. They do not have the card properly authorized/staged.
+1

And I fear most of us have had to put up with this nonsense at least once. I certainly have, and the people I know that have TiVo's have too. It absolutely does not require any type of field visit. They simply do not have the account set up correctly.

Why is it approaching 2012 and cable company's tech support departments are still so incredibly clueless???
Old 10-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
garys

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Why is it approaching 2012 and cable company's tech support departments are still so incredibly clueless???
Cable companies rent crappy DVRs for a lot more money than they earn renting cable cards. They have no incentive to help Tivo compete with them for the DVR market. Absent regulatory requirements that they provide cable cards, I'm sure they wouldn't allow them at all.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
innocentfreak

This is also why you should file a "complaint" documenting your experience with the FCC once you get it resolved or give up completely. These are the things the FCC needs to hear if we ever expect them to actually try to fix it.

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
garys

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak
This is also why you should file a "complaint" documenting your experience with the FCC once you get it resolved or give up completely. These are the things the FCC needs to hear if we ever expect them to actually try to fix it.

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm
Funny you mention that. I already had the FCC complaint page open in a browser tab. At some point, making cable cards on third party devices an ordeal becomes indistinguishable from refusing to support them at all. At over 8 hours of effort with no results, I'd say in my case Comcast has functionally refused to allow my to use them in a TiVo. Yes, they're still offering to work with me on it, but no consumer should have to sacrifice multiple full days to make up for comcast's inability to correctly set an entry in a database at the head end. Regardless of the outcome, the FCC will get documentation of how this went down.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:06 AM   #11
h0sti1e17

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys View Post
I've spent seriously about 8 hours on the phone with Comcast over the past 24 hours. They can't get either of my Elites working. The sad thing for Tivo is that this is Comcast's screw up, and I'm going to end up returning my Tivos (within the 30 day full refund window) because four tuners are useless if they can't tune anything.

They are sending a tech over tomorrow who I'm sure will not be able to fix this.

It took Comcast 3 weeks to get my TiVo HD to work right. One tuner was the only one working for that whole time.

Cox on the other hand, got me set up day one with my TiVo HD, never had issues including installing the Tuning Adapter myself. That is why I am surprised Cox is giving me issues this time around. They are usually very good in my area.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #12
justinw

A tech from the cable company won't do anything himself but they have the numbers for their support guys most of which know what they are doing. Honestly I'd rather demand a free truck roll than waste 8 plus hours on the phone. More than likely when the tech arrives the problem will be fixed in 5 minutes.
justinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
DILands

Mine took around 4 hours for the channels to come in. It was Friday night - I had actually gone to bed - my wife emailed me when she saw the channels.
DILands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
tomhorsley

I just had this happen one more time to me. It has been a while since the last time, but found it this afternoon again unable to tune anything except the one channel that happened to be live when it apparently stopped working. Power cycling the box made it all work OK again (after the 10 minute boot cycle).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #15
chrispitude

I've had both variants of this issue with my Premiere:

1. Channels no longer authorized, restarts did not fix it. I needed a hit (sometimes several) from the cable company to get it going again. These are definitely cable company issues.

2. Channels no longer authorized, but a restart makes them come back. This seems like a TiVo bug, not a cable company issue.

For #2, on two occasions, we lost most of our channels over weekends where we were not home. None of our season passes recorded. We come home, I discover that we get almost no channels, they all come back after restart. Commence a great deal of cursing at days of season passes lost across all channels due to this software bug.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #16
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
For #2, on two occasions, we lost most of our channels over weekends where we were not home. None of our season passes recorded. We come home, I discover that we get almost no channels, they all come back after restart. Commence a great deal of cursing at days of season passes lost across all channels due to this software bug.
Yea, the last time this was happening almost once a week, I started working on a script to send commands to the tivo to get it to reboot via the telnet interface. I never got that finished, but I may have to dust it off. Then I could make a cron job to run the script every night at 3 am or something like that.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:23 PM   #17
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys View Post
Funny you mention that. I already had the FCC complaint page open in a browser tab. At some point, making cable cards on third party devices an ordeal becomes indistinguishable from refusing to support them at all. At over 8 hours of effort with no results, I'd say in my case Comcast has functionally refused to allow my to use them in a TiVo. Yes, they're still offering to work with me on it, but no consumer should have to sacrifice multiple full days to make up for comcast's inability to correctly set an entry in a database at the head end. Regardless of the outcome, the FCC will get documentation of how this went down.
I filed an FCC complaint in early Oct. when my local TWC office wouldn't give me self install CableCards. Over a month after I emailed my complaint in, I received a letter from the FCC simply confirming my emailed complaint had been received. F'ing joke!

Am seriously thinking about eBaying all of my Tivo DVRs, dumping TWC and going with ATT U-Verse and their DVR's.
Joey Bagadonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #18
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Yea, the last time this was happening almost once a week, I started working on a script to send commands to the tivo to get it to reboot via the telnet interface. I never got that finished, but I may have to dust it off. Then I could make a cron job to run the script every night at 3 am or something like that.
Now I'm thinking rebooting at 3AM wouldn't help anyway. I was just sitting there watching ESPN HD when the time came for it to record the next show (also on ESPN HD), and the screen froze, and a "not authorized" message showed up. At that point, changing channels got not authorized for all the other channels as well. Had to reboot once again (missing the first 10 minutes of the show I wanted to record).
Old 12-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #19
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Now I'm thinking rebooting at 3AM wouldn't help anyway. I was just sitting there watching ESPN HD when the time came for it to record the next show (also on ESPN HD), and the screen froze, and a "not authorized" message showed up. At that point, changing channels got not authorized for all the other channels as well. Had to reboot once again (missing the first 10 minutes of the show I wanted to record).
It's happening more and more frequently for me. And lately, after waiting for what, 8-10 minutes for TiVo to reboot (hey TiVo, 1982 called...they want their reboot time back!), when I select "Watch Live TV" from TiVo Central, I get a message reading words to the effect, "No channels have been found". I then have to go to settings then channels and wait while TiVo repopulates my channel listings.
Joey Bagadonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #20
ThePhantomsGirl

I just got my new Premiere and got it all set up. Installed the cable card and called Comcast. The tech could not get it going, MOST channels brought up the screen with all the numbers and to call the cable company. They are rolling a truck today - and informed me I might have to pay for it - unless the cable card was defective. NOT happy. I know it's that they do not have it paired correctly...sigh.

ThePhantomsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #21
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomsGirl View Post
I just got my new Premiere and got it all set up. Installed the cable card and called Comcast. The tech could not get it going, MOST channels brought up the screen with all the numbers and to call the cable company. They are rolling a truck today - and informed me I might have to pay for it - unless the cable card was defective. NOT happy. I know it's that they do not have it paired correctly...sigh.
Yes, it is a problem with cable companies everywhere. I talked to at least 12 techs when I got my Premiere a couple of months ago and got all sorts of bad answers and lots of pressure to pay for a truck roll. Finally, one of them did something to "unpair" the card and then "re-paired" the card and it worked. The e-mail address for the cable company district VP was available online so I documented my issues and sent them to him. Very shortly after that a service manager called, apologized, promised to fix the issues in their system and gave me a free month of service for my troubles. If they will not comp the truck roll, then see if there is a way to get through to upper management. You may have to bring up the threat of an FCC complaint.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:43 AM   #22
ThePhantomsGirl

Thanks. I will document everything.

I even said to the rep last night on the phone, why should I pay for it when it's clear it's not being paired correctly? He agreed, but he said that was the message he got when it said it called for a truck roll. Of course it said, customer MAY have to pay for it if it's a customer operator error. If everything works except the card...why would it be MY error? I'll post what happens, they are coming late this afternoon.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #23
ThePhantomsGirl

Oh, also the rep said, "they HATE cable cards". He was also shocked that they told ME to install the card myself. I said they encouraged it and told me to pick up the card. The rep when I picked it up said, "oh, it's all pre-installed, easy as pie". Right...

The Tivo installation was fairly easy (the boot-up takes forever) and putting in the cable card was no problem. It was the point from when I had to call the cable company....

I'm just adding that the rep last night also had me re-boot after he sent several hits, didn't change anything.

Last edited by ThePhantomsGirl : 12-02-2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: extra info
Old 12-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #24
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Been there, done that (with COX). And a "truck roll" is almost always a TOTAL waste of time. The few times I had problems with getting certain channels, it was ALWAYS because they had no idea what they were doing with their own equipment and settings on their side.

Cable cards and tuning adapters *are* a pain. But mostly because the cable companies MAKE IT THAT WAY.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #25
beejay

Quote:
With my recent cablecard self-install, most of the channels came up but some did not. The first number Comcast has you call for self-installs said they had done everything right and something must be wrong on my account. Calling the 800-COMCAST number finally got me to someone who looked at my account, did some unknown magic, and then I had all the channels I was allowed to have.

(Happily they never mentioned a truck roll or the possibility that I was too inept to put a cablecard in a slot.)
S2DT - 186 hours

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #26
ThePhantomsGirl

Still waiting on Comcast. I had a confirmed appointment between 3 and 5 PM. Did the two "you must confirm or else" calls. Called CS...still nothing. I'm not feeling hopeful they'll either show or fix the wrong pairing. Sigh...

Old 12-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #27
beejay

Quote:
Still waiting on Comcast. I had a confirmed appointment between 3 and 5 PM. Did the two "you must confirm or else" calls. Called CS...still nothing. I'm not feeling hopeful they'll either show or fix the wrong pairing. Sigh...
Don't you at least get some statement credit if they miss an appointment?
S2DT - 186 hours

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #28
ThePhantomsGirl

They completely ignored that! Turns out all kinds of people today had no-shows - the tech was heading to a call after mine that was supposed to have someone show up between 10 and 12 earlier today!

Okay - the card the cable company gave me WAS defective. (after this guy tried for an hour to get it to pair.) He put a new card in - and that took awhile to pair because they have to text the info in, not call. So they have to wait until they answer. Finally got it paired...BUT...no HD stations! The guy couldn't get the codes to go in.

So, another truck roll tomorrow. (at least the tech said it was not a charge as it was defective equipment and a problem on their part). MAYBE I'll get it fixed then. It seems they are having problems as it may look like an additional unit or room adding HD. Comcast apparently charges the same price for the cable card ($7.95) if you have it do HD.

Sigh....

At least I have channels now - last night I only had a couple.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #29
ThePhantomsGirl

Okay - after two truck rolls and three different cablecards, I finally have my Tivo Premiere functional!

The installer this morning said it was because - yes - many cards are defective. Then if a cable card is removed from a unit - it is supposed to be immediately de-paired. He said that often isn't done and then it's next to impossible for them to get the correct pairing.

That's what happened with my second card. They couldn't get it to give me the proper channel line-up because who had ever had it before didn't have the same level of HD programming that I had.

Also, they told me I would get the $20 credit on my account since they didn't show up within the time frame they were supposed to yesterday. Since I've been trying to get my new Tivo running since Thursday and it took until Saturday, I kind of feel we deserve it!

Now to go set my Season Passes, etc., etc., Hooray!

Old 12-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #30
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Okay - after two truck rolls and three different cablecards, I finally have my Tivo Premiere functional!

The installer this morning said it was because - yes - many cards are defective. Then if a cable card is removed from a unit - it is supposed to be immediately de-paired. He said that often isn't done and then it's next to impossible for them to get the correct pairing.

That's what happened with my second card. They couldn't get it to give me the proper channel line-up because who had ever had it before didn't have the same level of HD programming that I had.

Also, they told me I would get the $20 credit on my account since they didn't show up within the time frame they were supposed to yesterday. Since I've been trying to get my new Tivo running since Thursday and it took until Saturday, I kind of feel we deserve it!

Now to go set my Season Passes, etc., etc., Hooray!
Glad to hear its finally working. It took me three CableCards swaps (on my own) and it still came down to finding the right phone tech. Ironically, my cable company offers Premieres as their DVRs so setup shouldn't have been a mystery.