TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2012, 01:41 AM   #211
gteague
golftango

compared to my s3 that just died, my new elite is dog slow. benchmark away, but perception is reality and my perception is that 1/4s had been added onto nearly every click compared to the s3. and my season pass manager still sometimes locks me out for up to 15 minutes when rearranging only a couple of items. of course, that's down from the obscene 30-45 minutes on the s3 which happened all too often. if i wasn't so pleased at the new gigabit ethernet, 4 tuners, and 450hrs of hd (w/ext) i'd be doing mouth-to-mouth on the s3 to resurrect it rather than buying a box that was (seemingly, imo) rushed out and warmed over.

/guy
Old 01-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #212
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa1971

It seems like Tivo has made some serious design/system architecture decisions. Sure, Tivo has a lot more to do than a Roku but you can get a Roku for $50 with a $15+ subscription fee. Given what I paid for the Tivo Premiere and the ongoing subscription fee I expect a lot more from Tivo. I really do like Tivo but for me the only reason I still have Tivo is because it's what my wife is used to and doesn't want to switch. I would be able to deal with the Verizon DVR and my Roku box. I'm just always surprised at how sluggish the Tivo UI can be.
What subscription fee does Roku have? I'm not paying a subscription fee for my roku2.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #213
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What subscription fee does Roku have? I'm not paying a subscription fee for my roku2.
I think he is attributing the Netflix and/or Hulu fees to the Roku?
Old 01-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #214
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
compared to my s3 that just died, my new elite is dog slow. benchmark away, but perception is reality and my perception is that 1/4s had been added onto nearly every click compared to the s3. and my season pass manager still sometimes locks me out for up to 15 minutes when rearranging only a couple of items. of course, that's down from the obscene 30-45 minutes on the s3 which happened all too often. if i wasn't so pleased at the new gigabit ethernet, 4 tuners, and 450hrs of hd (w/ext) i'd be doing mouth-to-mouth on the s3 to resurrect it rather than buying a box that was (seemingly, imo) rushed out and warmed over.

/guy
hate to kick a dead horse but the fact that after 10+ years they still haven't managed to figure out to rearrange season passes in the background points to them not really caring about the perception that the box is slow as (insert choice here).

the stupidity that they dont cache the pictures in the new UI and that makes the whole think choke is just the next logical step in their path of crappy architecture choices for the last decade....

I guess when you outsource everything that's the way the cookie crumbles.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #215
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
Roku 1 yes, but not the Roku 2. The Roku 2 has what is equal to a modern dual core cellphone CPU in it which is light years ahead of the CPU we have. So whatever is the best that is on a Roku1 we should hope to one day see.
FWIW, it appears the Roku 2 is using a 700 MHz Broadcom processor.

http://www.mycablealternatives.com/2...2-xs-teardown/
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #216
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK

hate to kick a dead horse but the fact that after 10+ years they still haven't managed to figure out to rearrange season passes in the background points to them not really caring about the perception that the box is slow as (insert choice here).
Actually they have since reordering Season Passes via the web site season pass manager and via the iPad app does so in the background. Why they haven't implemented that in the UI on the Premiere itself is the million dollar question.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #217
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Actually they have since reordering Season Passes via the web site season pass manager and via the iPad app does so in the background. Why they haven't implemented that in the UI on the Premiere itself is the million dollar question.
good point. They actually do it. BUT are too (insert your favorite adjective) to implement it in the UI.

they've made strides lots of places just not the part of the thing that people actually interact with.

Apparently they believe that UI stands for not UnImportant and not User Interface. (gee, maybe we're all wrong....)
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #218
brentil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
FWIW, it appears the Roku 2 is using a 700 MHz Broadcom processor.

http://www.mycablealternatives.com/2...2-xs-teardown/
Yeah, the Broadcom BCM2835, which is an ARMv11 design with a dual core GPU. The ARMv11 was the last generation before the Cortex series which is what the current phones are based off of, so the last phone generation (iPhone/iPhone 3G) in terms of performance. The S4 produces 1100 DMIPS which is a test that can be divided by # of cores to give a per core value of 550 DMIPS (they aggregate each core into a total score). The ARMv11 produces about 900 DMIPS for one core @ 700 MHz plus then has the far more advanced GPU included as well that can offload a significant amount of GUI load. So you can think of it as a Roku2 can do anything a iPhone 3G could do and a TiVo S4 slides in between an iPod Video (pre-touch) and a iPhone (original).

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #219
brentil

I can't believe I completely forgot to benchmark the initial release of the 20.x series... I guess I just got too excited about the new features and it slipped my mind. I'm going to start working on benchmarks for the latest version and hopefully have them up soon.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #220
sbiller

Quote:
I can't believe I completely forgot to benchmark the initial release of the 20.x series... I guess I just got too excited about the new features and it slipped my mind. I'm going to start working on benchmarks for the latest version and hopefully have them up soon.
Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing the revised numbers. Thanks Brentil.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #221
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing the revised numbers. Thanks Brentil.
Probably would be best to start a new thread on it, since it has nothing to do with the "Elite". Besides, the thread title seems to imply there ARE enhancements to performance by using the Elite, which we all know there are not. (Plus the "Elite" name is now dead, anyway).
Old 06-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #222
ghuido

can't wait to see them. Post a link in this thread to the new one if you do.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #223
moyekj

Quote:
Would be interesting to see numbers before and after DNS Optimization as well since it looks like HDUI makes a LOT of DNS requests in normal use. Even better is using a router with DNS caching (~2ms vs double digit ms per lookup) which seems like would be the best way to minimize delays due to DNS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #224
Ziggy86

Last night my Premiere froze, I could not change the channel or use the Tivo button to get to Tivo central. I had to unplug the unit in order to reboot it. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you get it to work, did you have to unplug the Tivo too?

Thanks
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #225
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86 View Post
Last night my Premiere froze, I could not change the channel or use the Tivo button to get to Tivo central. I had to unplug the unit in order to reboot it. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you get it to work, did you have to unplug the Tivo too?

Thanks
In situations where Premiere is not responding to remote control commands using the iPad or Android applications (or kmttg remote) to start playback of a recorded show will often but not always unfreeze the TiVo. Also if using HDUI following sequence is supposed to reboot the HDUI: thumbs up,thumbs down,play,play
The above can be attempted before resorting to pulling the plug.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #226
Ziggy86

I could not get to a recorded show since none of the buttons would work.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #227
moyekj

Quote:
I could not get to a recorded show since none of the buttons would work.
You misunderstand. The iOS/Android applications communicate with TiVo over your home network, not through the remote control. So using those apps you don't have to pick up your remote control to start playback of a show which is the whole point - you are frozen out and remote control doesn't work so using those applications is a way to start playback of a show without using your remote control. Often times using those apps to start playback of a show will then "unfreeze" your TiVo making it responsive to remote control again.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #228
Ziggy86

I understand now, thank you.

Is it common for the Tivo units to freeze?
Old 06-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #229
moyekj

Quote:
I understand now, thank you.

Is it common for the Tivo units to freeze?
That's a loaded question. For well over a year since it was released it was quite common for me and others when using the SDUI to have freezes which lasted up to 20 minutes at a time and sometimes requiring pulling the plug. Using HDUI the problem was less prevalent, but then one had to try and tolerate slowness of HDUI. There's a huge thread on the subject among several smaller ones. More recent versions of TiVo software seem to have mostly fixed that. Once in a while I still see reports of freezes but I would say it's not very common anymore, especially if your unit has latest software.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #230
Ziggy86

last question, what is SDUI and HDUI and is this something you setup in the setting section?
Old 06-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #231
moyekj

Quote:
last question, what is SDUI and HDUI and is this something you setup in the setting section?
SDUI = Standard Definition User Interface - the classic user interface that was used prior to launch of the Premiere platform.
HDUI = High Definition User Interface (the default slower interface with the annoying thumbnails at the top of the screen in TiVo Central).

A few people (such as me) still prefer the SDUI because it's still much faster than the HDUI. TiVo eventually is going to phase it out completely for newer hardware and some functionality has been somewhat crippled with recent releases but I'll use it as long as it's available and not totally crippled.

You can switch between the 2 from Settings->Displays->Choose TiVo Menus

Old 06-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #232
Ziggy86

Thank you.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #233
brentil

Back to benchmarking!

When I get home tonight I'll finish the current set, I'm about 50% done. I'll look at the DNS thread and see what I can do to my TiVo and see how it changes the way it works. I'll try a variety of options including the 3rd party services.

I'll also start a new thread bringing over the benchmark information I have here as the basis. I'll link back once it is made.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #234
brentil

New thread specific to just benchmarking.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=488159