TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
tymbo

Can one transfer shows from one tivo to another?

I travel a lot (by car, staying overnight at hotels). I currently own a TiVo HD XL box with lifetime service.

I'm going to buy the Premiere Elite soon with lifetime service.

I'm thinking of taking my Tivo HD XL box with me while traveling, but transferring shows from the Elite (which is at home) to the HD XL before I leave my home. That way, during the week, I can catch up on shows I know I'll be interested in watching during the week. Then, when I get home on the weekend, I can choose another tv series to catch up on watching, transfer it front he elite to the HD XL, and repeat the process.

Is this possible?

I'd like for the Elite to record all my shows for me, but I don't' want the HD XL to record anything, because I want it to be my "laptop", that I can take with me from hotel to hotel throughout the week so I'm not too bored.

I know this sounds really weird, but it's either go out and spend money exploring or kick back and catch up on TiVo.
tymbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
jfh3

Yes, just hook them up to the same network at home. Each will show up in the My Shows / Now Playing list of the other box.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
tymbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Yes, just hook them up to the same network at home. Each will show up in the My Shows / Now Playing list of the other box.
What happens if I take one box out of the network?

I want to take a box out of state with me and watch what's on it at a hotel.

BUT... I want to be able to control which programs are on the box.

Is it indeed controllable in this way?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

If you have not enabled transfers before, you need to go to tivo.com and login to your account and under DVR Preferences, check on the boxes for Transfers and Downloads. After about a day, you will have a Media Access Key (MAK) to access your recordings from which it was encoded on.

The Tivos will not be able transfer outside of your network router. So if you have another home elsewhere, you cannot transfer anything.

You can then transfer to another Tivo or PC/Mac using Tivo Desktop or PyTivo. If you have a laptop, you can transfer to that and take along on trips without having to disconnect a Tivo and possible damage during transit, it really wasn't made for traveling. Programs such as VideoReDo TVSuite will allow you to burn DVDs and play on any DVD Player.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbo View Post
I travel a lot (by car, staying overnight at hotels). I currently own a TiVo HD XL box with lifetime service.

I'm going to buy the Premiere Elite soon with lifetime service.
That may be a poor decision.

Quote:
I'm thinking of taking my Tivo HD XL box with me while traveling, but transferring shows from the Elite (which is at home) to the HD XL before I leave my home. That way, during the week, I can catch up on shows I know I'll be interested in watching during the week. Then, when I get home on the weekend, I can choose another tv series to catch up on watching, transfer it front he elite to the HD XL, and repeat the process.

Is this possible?
Maybe. If your CATV provider sets the CCI byte for any channels (other than the locals), then you will not be able to transfer any recordings from those channels from your Premier to your THD. You will only be able to transfer recordings from those channels from the THD to the Premier if the THD is modified.

Any non-protected content (CCI = 0x00) can be transferred back and forth on either unit.

Quote:
I'd like for the Elite to record all my shows for me, but I don't' want the HD XL to record anything, because I want it to be my "laptop", that I can take with me from hotel to hotel throughout the week so I'm not too bored.
Again, it depends entirely on the copy protection.

Quote:
I know this sounds really weird
No, not really. It is precisely this sort of application for which TiVoToGo was developed, although admittedly usually the mobile device is not envisioned to be a TiVo.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
The Tivos will not be able transfer outside of your network router. So if you have another home elsewhere, you cannot transfer anything.
This is not true. There are a number of ways this can be accomplished. The OP specifically stated he would be transferring the videos prior to leaving his house, however, so the point is moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You can then transfer to another Tivo or PC/Mac using Tivo Desktop or PyTivo.
Kmttg and Galleon are better choices for this, but again, only if the content is not copy protected or the source TiVo has been modified.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
lrhorer

Quote:
What happens if I take one box out of the network?
Then it won't be able to talk to that network.

Quote:
I want to take a box out of state with me and watch what's on it at a hotel.
OK. It's been a while since I was in a hotel, but back in the day, most hotel TVs had hard-wired CATV inputs and no extra video inputs. Has this changed significantly?

Quote:
BUT... I want to be able to control which programs are on the box.

Is it indeed controllable in this way?
I don't quite know what you are asking. You can certainly delete programs that are on the TiVo. What other sort of "control" are you seeking?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
jonbig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
It's been a while since I was in a hotel, but back in the day, most hotel TVs had hard-wired CATV inputs and no extra video inputs. Has this changed significantly?
Many hotels have HDTVs with extra inputs now days. I carry a DVI->HDMI calble + 3.5mm phono to RCA stereo cable with me when I travel so I can show stuff downloaded to my laptop on the HDTV and/or use the big screen as a second monitor.

Occasionally I've run into a place that uses factory settings to lock out the other TV inputs, but the internet usually yields the way to override them pretty quickly.
jonbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbig View Post
Many hotels have HDTVs with extra inputs now days. I carry a DVI->HDMI calble + 3.5mm phono to RCA stereo cable with me when I travel so I can show stuff downloaded to my laptop on the HDTV and/or use the big screen as a second monitor.
Cool. I guess Hotels are catching up with the 20th century.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #10
tymbo

Thanks for the replies.

I am on a mac, and to transfer to a dvd, I would have to purchase Roxio Toast. The problem with this is that I'd be taking a gamble, because a support person from Roxio told me that captions are not transferrable.

I'm hearing impaired, so I really need closed captioning. The method I shared does pose a risk of damage to the unit, but it also does ensure closed captioning stays, as well as actual HD quality as opposed to DVD quality.

But you may have a point, that the travel of a tivo unit poses a higher risk for damage.