TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #121
ShayL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb929 View Post
I have the same thing no channels, but for two weeks using Fios.
I had two different tects come out and they had no idea about cable card!
My RS Uncorrected is about 5000 - 50000. Cant get help from Verizon!!!!
If any one has any ideas please let me know.
Thanks
Wow that's a lot of uncorrected packets. Have you checked your splitter(s) and coax connections? How many TVs do you have?
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #122
rcb929

I have 2 HD, 1 Premiere and 1 xl4 that's not working.
Just change my splitter from a 5way 11.5db to an 8way 12db.
I move the box to 3 different rooms in the house. I just order this 20dB Variable Attenuator and a set of 3,6, & 10db In-Line Attenuator.
rcb929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #123
rcb929

bump
Old 08-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #124
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb929 View Post
I have 2 HD, 1 Premiere and 1 xl4 that's not working.
Just change my splitter from a 5way 11.5db to an 8way 12db.
I move the box to 3 different rooms in the house. I just order this 20dB Variable Attenuator and a set of 3,6, & 10db In-Line Attenuator.
With all the uncorrected errors you mentioned previously, it does sound like you have a weak or noisy signal for some reason. If you just changed your (only?) splitter, it seems unlikely that it's the problem. And with an 8-way splitter already attenuating your signal by 12dB, I doubt that more attenuation will help. Maybe there's a corroded connector outside, on your house or on their pole. You could try connecting a TiVo ahead of the 8-way splitter as a test to see if you get fewer errors that way.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #125
ShayL

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
With all the uncorrected errors you mentioned previously, it does sound like you have a weak or noisy signal for some reason. If you just changed your (only?) splitter, it seems unlikely that it's the problem. And with an 8-way splitter already attenuating your signal by 12dB, I doubt that more attenuation will help. Maybe there's a corroded connector outside, on your house or on their pole. You could try connecting a TiVo ahead of the 8-way splitter as a test to see if you get fewer errors that way.
The FIOS coax starts at the ONT so it has to be wiring inside of the house unless the ONT has issues. Can you a coax cable from the ONT directly the TiVO?
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #126
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
The FIOS coax starts at the ONT so it has to be wiring inside of the house unless the ONT has issues. Can you a coax cable from the ONT directly the TiVO?
Oops. I'm OTA only, and I forgot that FIOS is optical fiber to the house. But can't there still be outside problems with the fiber-optic signal or connections, or would that present differently?
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #127
rcb929

Update;
Want to BestBuy pickup an new xl4 and it works, but I still have about 5000 RS Uncorrected & 30 RS corrected, SNR 37db & single 93.
As of now I have not activated the tivo services.
I have been on the phone with tivo for three weeks and they insisted that my box was good! But now they are sending me a NEW in the box one.
I have Verizon coming out tomorrow (9/1) any suggestion??

P.S.
got a PM from some one saying that they were from tivo and wanted my:
TSN (TiVo Service Number) :
Your TiVo account email:
Your TiVo account Phone #:
He said that "this information will allow me to find your TiVo account and document our support efforts accordingly"
Who do I forward this PM to?
Thanks
Old 09-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #128
ghostrider45
Ghostrider45

I received a similar PM but can't respond because I only have 8 posts.
ghostrider45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #129
sldavis1952

My Tivo displayed, "This channel is not authorized. Contact your cable
provider for more information." This was for 8 channels only, Espn Espn2 Bravo, TNT, etc. I called Longview cable and the tech sent a signal and the channels were restored. I called Tivo support and asked what would happen if the Tivo was recording a show on a channel and it became unauthorized. Would it cause the Tivo to lose all channels? I ask the Tivo tech to report the issue to software development support. Maybe they can find a software solution to the problem of losing all channels.
sldavis1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #130
rogmatic

I have been having lost signal issues with TWC since I got the Elite. I have one HD box and one Premiere and both work flawlessly, and the HD never had an issue with the same outlet as the Elite. So, I figured I got a bad Elite. But I got a new Elite and have the same issue, maybe even worse. It seems to be worse when I use Netflix, but that is not the sole answer. I am having TWC this week to try to fix it - I do have a lot of RS uncorrected errors and high signal and SNR numbers, so maybe they can do something to help it.
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #131
sldavis1952

I've noticed with my Premiere that it seems to be worse when I watch Netflix, but I think there are other factors too. I had a cluster of losing all signals when we had thunderstorms this summer. I've had my Premiere replaced by Tivo, the cable card replaced, the cable company checked my signal and put in new splitters, but I still have intermittent lose of all signals. My series 2 has worked fine since 2004. I don't think Tivo has a fully baked HD product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmatic View Post
I have been having lost signal issues with TWC since I got the Elite. I have one HD box and one Premiere and both work flawlessly, and the HD never had an issue with the same outlet as the Elite. So, I figured I got a bad Elite. But I got a new Elite and have the same issue, maybe even worse. It seems to be worse when I use Netflix, but that is not the sole answer. I am having TWC this week to try to fix it - I do have a lot of RS uncorrected errors and high signal and SNR numbers, so maybe they can do something to help it.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #132
sldavis1952

Premiere lost all channels again at about 7 PM. HD channels were pixelating. SD channels were black
screen, on SD channels Tivo displayed, "Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again."
I pulled cable card and reinserted it. All the channels came back okay. It rained most of the day.
Here we go again.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #133
rogmatic

I talked to TiVo and they seem to acknowledge the xl4 needs a stronger signal because it includes a splitter inside of it. They told me to go back to using the signal booster which seems to help. Time will tell if it holds up long term. I am dubious.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #134
tivosupport_taylor
TiVo Representative

TiVo Support is aware that some users are having an issue where channels appear to stop tuning properly at random and where video is restored via a reboot or reseating of the CableCARD. TiVo would like to resolve this issue for our customers and, if you are experiencing this problem, we could use your help.

If you are experiencing issues related to tuning on your Premiere 4 or XL4 that is temporarily resolved after a reboot, we would like your help in capturing some information and diagnostic logs from your DVR.

Please PRIVATE-MESSAGE one of the following TiVo Support Employees.

• tivosupport_jessica
• tivosupport_spencer
• tivosupport_taylor
• tivosupport_eric

Please let them know your…

• TSN or TiVo Serial Number
• How often the issue occurs
• Which channels drop
• Any other details you wish to share

Please do not publicly post your account information. We would like to protect the privacy of your account.

Thank you.
tivosupport_taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #135
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivosupport_taylor View Post
TiVo Support is aware that some users are having an issue where channels appear to stop tuning properly at random and where video is restored via a reboot or reseating of the CableCARD. TiVo would like to resolve this issue for our customers and, if you are experiencing this problem, we could use your help.

If you are experiencing issues related to tuning on your Premiere 4 or XL4 that is temporarily resolved after a reboot, we would like your help in capturing some information and diagnostic logs from your DVR.

• tivosupport_jessica
• tivosupport_spencer
• tivosupport_taylor
• tivosupport_eric

• Which channels drop

Please do not publicly post your account information. We would like to protect the privacy of your account.

Thank you.
so why so late with this admission when i experienced 6-9 months of tivo/catv hell after purchase of my elite late last year? even though i had a special support 'team' (i recognize spencer on your list who is a most excellent tech--no complaints whatsoever there--assigned to my issue by tivo-margaret. the tivo team and i worked on this issue for months, but tivo kept referring me to the cable company and kept asking me to get new cable cards over and over and over and over again until they refused to talk to me anymore.

and why have my problems pretty much disappeared as of about 4-6 months ago with no changes on my part except a 'magickal-thinking' routine that simultaneously records 4xSD channels at a certain time every day?

i did ask tivo-margaret to try to get the software engineers to program in a soft-reset routine when the tivo detects multiple channels that have stopped responding so that re-seating the cable card would not be necessary, but unless they implemented this routine only on my machine, i have seen no evidence that such a routine is being worked on or promulgated.

btw, since you never really asked me for any diagnostic info or logs, i provided it here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=481894

/guy
Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #136
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
so why so late with this admission when i experienced 6-9 months of tivo/catv hell after purchase of my elite late last year? even though i had a special support 'team' (i recognize spencer on your list who is a most excellent tech--no complaints whatsoever there--assigned to my issue by tivo-margaret. the tivo team and i worked on this issue for months, but tivo kept referring me to the cable company and kept asking me to get new cable cards over and over and over and over again until they refused to talk to me anymore.

and why have my problems pretty much disappeared as of about 4-6 months ago with no changes on my part except a 'magickal-thinking' routine that simultaneously records 4xSD channels at a certain time every day?

i did ask tivo-margaret to try to get the software engineers to program in a soft-reset routine when the tivo detects multiple channels that have stopped responding so that re-seating the cable card would not be necessary, but unless they implemented this routine only on my machine, i have seen no evidence that such a routine is being worked on or promulgated.

/guy
Scratching my head over here too, after 3 Elites with the same issue
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #137
sldavis1952

Losing channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivosupport_taylor View Post

• tivosupport_jessica
• tivosupport_spencer
• tivosupport_taylor
• tivosupport_eric

• Which channels drop

Thank you.
I PM'd tivosupport_spencer my information. I sent him my personal logs I have been keeping as well as a link to this thread. Hope Tivo can find what the problem is.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #138
sldavis1952

7:12 AM 9/24/2012 -
Premiere lost all channels again. Tivo displayed on SD channels, "Problem with the signal on this
cable channel. Trying again." On HD channels displayed, "This channel is not authorized. Contact your cable
provider for more information." All channels showed a black screen. Reseated cable card and
all channels came back.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #139
Kingpcgeek
Couch Potato

Happened to me for the first time last night on non SDV channels. The only channel that was working was the one on tuner one (ESPN2) that I had been watching in the morning. Missed three recordings on CBS & FOX since I wasn't home to see the problem. Rebooted and all was back fine.

Last edited by Kingpcgeek : 09-25-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Kingpcgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #140
sldavis1952

I got a pm from Tivo support. He said that engineering had turned logging on, on my unit. Hope they can find the problem.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #141
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldavis1952 View Post
I got a pm from Tivo support. He said that engineering had turned logging on, on my unit. Hope they can find the problem.
So you should not jump through hoops trying to prevent the problem anymore so they have more data to look at?
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #142
rogmatic

I assume that no one has found a fix. Has anyone been able to convince Tivo to replace the Elite with a regular Premiere? I would be thrilled to have 2 working tuners instead of zero.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #143
kinger19

Same problem here - it can go a few days without happening, while other days it happens multiple times in the same day - very frustrating...
kinger19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #144
rogmatic

I am going to try going a few days withou a cable card. I realized that when I pull it out, I can regain signal. I will let you know what I find out.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #145
sldavis1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
So you should not jump through hoops trying to prevent the problem anymore so they have more data to look at?
That is correct. The problem is that the problem is intermittent and has gone as long as 3 months without losing all channels. Lately it has been happening around 1 to 2 weeks. So I go from hoping it doesn't happen as frequent, to I hope it happens so Tivo engineering can collect data to fix the problem.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #146
sldavis1952

Quote:
I assume that no one has found a fix. Has anyone been able to convince Tivo to replace the Elite with a regular Premiere? I would be thrilled to have 2 working tuners instead of zero.
I have the problem of losing all channels with a Premiere with 2 tuners. And Tivo has replaced the Premiere and the problem has persisted. So it is not just isolated to Elite's. I would also be thrilled to have 2 working tuners.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #147
rogmatic

Is everyone having issues using a tuning adapter? I am wondering if the issue is with the cable card or tuning adapter interaction with the Tivo.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #148
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

It is not a TA issue, my Elite does not have one and has lost signal on all tuners once.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #149
sldavis1952

Quote:
Is everyone having issues using a tuning adapter? I am wondering if the issue is with the cable card or tuning adapter interaction with the Tivo.
No I don't have a tuning adapter. I have documented 30 separate times that my Tivo Premiere has lost all channels, since October 3, 2011. There is certainly some issue with the Tivo and cable card interaction. Can't speak to the tuning adapter.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #150
sldavis1952

Premiere lost all channels again. Premiere displayed on SD channels 3, 11, 72, 68, "Problem with the signal on this
cable channel. Trying again." On one HD channel 329, some displayed, "This channel is not authorized. Contact
your cable provider for more information." Other HD Channels 306, 349, 308, 348, 235, 245 were pixelating and
audio was in and out. We were recording channel 267 The Antique Road Show and were just a little behind the live feed,
and noticed the pixelating while watching it. After reseating the cable card all cable channels came back.

Last edited by sldavis1952 : 10-08-2012 at 09:09 PM.