TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #91
MC Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post
I called the TWC Cablecard hotlines about 5 minutes ago and the rep immediately told me that they have about 25 TiVo Elite customers with the same issue. He ran me through the diagnostic screens and checked my readings, which were all OK. He said TWC notified TiVo and TiVo does not have a resolution at this time.
Odd. I wonder why it is only affecting the Elites/XL4s and not regular Premieres. Hardware is the only difference between the two.
MC Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #92
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
Odd. I wonder why it is only affecting the Elites/XL4s and not regular Premieres. Hardware is the only difference between the two.
The tuners in Elite are completely different (even different IC maker) and they have to interact with CC, TA & associated software, so it's a pretty major difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #93
sldavis1952

I looked at my cable modem and it is showing 6.5 dBmV downstream.
Tivo support or the Longview Cable techs have never said anything about dBmV levels. What effect does an abnormal level have on a Premiere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
That doesn't sound right. Typical dBmV levels on a CATV system are usually -10dBmV to +10dBmV.

sldavis1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #94
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs
I lost all my cable channels on my Elite a few days ago. The whole thing started when I couldn't get the local TWC news channel (YNN HD) on my Elite. I started a thread at the TiVo.com site on this because I thought it was a guide issue. A person representing TiVo on that forum (Jessica?) had me redo guided setup. When guided setup was complete, my Elite would not display ANY channels.

I rebooted the tuning adapter and restarted the Elite many times, still NO Channels at all. I did notice, however, that when I rebooted the TA, the non-SDV channels would display. Once the TA had finished rebooting, no channels would display.

Having grown frustrated with TiVo support, I contacted TWC via twitter. They asked me for both my TA and CC serial numbers and then attempted to reauthorize my cable card. This didn't work. The TWC rep contacted the TWC cable card hotline and then said that they are aware of a recent TiVo software update that is causing the problem.

Funny thing is, I also have a plain old Premiere (with CC & TA) in my bedroom that works fine. The TWC rep said that Premiere didn't get the new TiVo software update, while the Elite did. A quick check of the TiVos menus showed the Elite had a different (newer) software version: 20.2.1.2-01-2-758

TWC said they would notify me when TiVo told them there was a resolution to my issue. In the meantime, they told me to unplug the USB cord between my TA and TiVo so I could receive the non-SDV channels. This doesn't help me with the season premiere of Breaking Bad tonight on AMC (a SDV channel).
Here's the response from TiVo_Jessica...apparently my Elite has cached the wrong version of the channel map from my tuning adapter...she recommends wiping the hard drive via, "clear and delete".

Quote:
I apologize that you are having problems with your Elite. The Elite was on the incorrect lineup, so in order to receive the channel that you were requesting, it was necessary to repeat the channel portion of guided set up. The issue that you are describing sounds as though the Elite has cached a version of the channel map from your Tuning Adapter, and the Tuning Adapter and Elite are no longer compatible. This would not have anything to do with your software. The Premiere and the Elite actually have the same software version. The final three numbers of the software update are the first three numbers of your TiVo Service Number. They also indicate what type of TiVo the software is installed on.

For example - TiVo Premiere: 746; TiVo Premiere XL: 748; TiVo Premiere XL4: 758

There have been very few reports of issues similar to yours. Other customers have reported success by doing a clear and delete all on their TiVo's, which would clear out the cached version of the channel map downloaded from your Tuning Adapter. This would also require that your CableCARD be paired again once the process is complete. To be clear, this process would delete all recordings and preferences from the DVR. I would recommend backing up programs on your computer using TiVo desktop, and backing up season passes on your Premiere using the season pass manager.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #95
MC Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post
Here's the response from TiVo_Jessica...apparently my Elite has cached the wrong version of the channel map from my tuning adapter...she recommends wiping the hard drive via, "clear and delete".
Hmmm, sounds a bit like BS to me. It'll be interesting to see if the C&DE does anything.
MC Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #96
moyekj

One would think that repeating guided setup should be sufficient to clear out any channel list cache since one of the options obviously is to change lineups. I think that's probably why I had to re-run guided setup more than once to clear out bad cache.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #97
c3po33

I'm on Comcast in South FL and yesterday after I transferred a show and tried to play in on my Elite all I got was a black screen. When I back out of it I could see the menus (in SD) but the background was black. When I go to live TV it would say something about signal strength but then after a few seconds the channels would comeback. If I went back to the video recording it would happen all over again.

Restarted but still happens intermittently. Is this because of a Tivo software update or what, because my 2 Tivo HDs are working fine? Also yesterday I got kicked out of watching something on my Tivo HD when an emergency broadcast went on and it froze the machine for a few minutes. I wonder if this might also have something to do with what is happening on the Elite. I remember a few months ago after an emergency broadcast 2 or 3 of my Tivo's completely froze and I had to unplug them to get them back up.

Also before video starts playing, I now see a black screen for 1 or 2 seconds instead of the grey screen I would always see before.
c3po33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #98
mooneydriver

Exact same problem. Six month old Premiere Elite on Comcast cable in California. Happened a few weeks ago and once again yesterday. Inability to replay recorded video tells me that it's likely a software problem on the Tivo and NOT a Comcast problem. Reboot resolved the problem both times. Older Series 3 Tivo continued to operate normally during both episodes, so I know that it's not a cable problem. Haven't called Tivo yet. I hope they are following this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfheil View Post
This just happened to me this morning. No signal message on all channels AND none of my RECORDED shows would play. Well, they would play, but no sound or picture, just the green progress bar showed. Even downloaded videos would not play. Did a restart from the menu and its all back to normal. I'm assuming the flash video player crashed?

mooneydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #99
mooneydriver

Another bit of information. The last loss of channels happened while I was recording a show. It stopped recording in the middle of the show and lost all channels. Today, I watched that recording all the way to the point where the recording stopped. At that point, I was no longer able to command the Tivo further. Not able to bring up the guide, go to live tv, or go to the Tivo menu.

It seems that there was something in the recorded data stream that corrupts the Tivo software, and it is repeatable - it corrupts the Tivo every time that recording is replayed. This is a good clue, and it may help Tivo figure out the cause of this problem (if they are following this thread).
mooneydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #100
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooneydriver View Post
Another bit of information. The last loss of channels happened while I was recording a show. It stopped recording in the middle of the show and lost all channels. Today, I watched that recording all the way to the point where the recording stopped. At that point, I was no longer able to command the Tivo further. Not able to bring up the guide, go to live tv, or go to the Tivo menu.

It seems that there was something in the recorded data stream that corrupts the Tivo software, and it is repeatable - it corrupts the Tivo every time that recording is replayed. This is a good clue, and it may help Tivo figure out the cause of this problem (if they are following this thread).
TiVo representatives are monitoring tivo.com forums so you should post there. See:
TiVo Support Representatives Now Monitoring forums.tivo.com

Old 07-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #101
sldavis1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooneydriver View Post

I would suggest calling Tivo support and let them know about this. That is a good clue. I have watched a portion of the programs that have stopped recording, but have always deleted before it had reached the end. Next time it happens I will let it play and see if I can reproduce what happened with you.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #102
mrsean

Last night, I lost all channels for the second time on a regular Premiere. The first I called Verizon and they instructed me to restart the TiVo and then all my channels came back. The second time restarting brought my channels back again.

Nothing has changed with my TiVo/FIOS in over a year. Also, I checked the coxial connections to make sure they remain secure. I first noticed this problem starting shortly after the last minor update. Although I don't want to blame the 20.2.1.2 update, TiVo's propensity to introduce bugs with along with new features has been well documented on this site.

I will call TiVo to make then aware of this soon.

Last edited by mrsean : 07-23-2012 at 11:16 AM.
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #103
rogmatic

I lose my channels about once a week and they always come back on a reboot. I have called TiVo several times, tried signal boosters and attenuators but nothing has worked. Very frustrating when my Premiere and HD work perfectly fine
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #104
stcaudle12

New Bugs

You gotta think this is a software bug they will be fixing any day right?
stcaudle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #105
rogmatic

I don't think they are going to fix it. When I call Tivo they say no one else is having this issue and it is the cable company's fault - that my signal strength is bad.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #106
rogmatic

I got a weird message yesterday that asked me to press select or lose my channels. It then said to call my cable company. Makes me wonder if this is why I lose channels ounce a week.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #107
bigguy126

Just wanted to add this thread since tivo support is monitoring. Had my first experience of losing all channels Had elite for 2 months. Re-boot corrected it. I have a HD and it was not effected. Obviously, that rules out cable signal.
bigguy126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #108
jrtroo
User

Bigguy123 -

I think you are misunderstanding what tivo is monitoring. While we happen to know that some individuals do review and post on this site, this activity is unofficial. The front page on tivocommunity is referring to the tivo forums on the tivo site: http://forums.tivo.com.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #109
kp921

Started having this same issue (loss of channels) on Sunday. Has pretty much happened once per day since. There was a really bad storm Saturday, which caused a power loss for a few seconds. Not sure if that has anything to do with it (i.e. damaging Tivo and/or cable card) or if it is just a coincidence. We have 2 premieres and a series 3. This only appears to be happening on one of the premieres. It happens to be our oldest premiere, which we have had since they came out a couple years ago. With the exception of some of the well known glitches that the premiere software had when it first came out, it had been running smoothly and rarely had any issues and never had this particular issue.

We recently relocated from Denver, CO to a much smaller city in Iowa. We had comcast in Denver. Unfortunately, they don't provide cable in our new location so we now have a small cable company called USA Communications. They are actually running fiber, so there is a fiber-to-RF converter in our house that supplies the RF signal to our Tivos. Because they are such a small company, they have little experience with Tivos and cable cards. In fact, we are only the 2nd customer to have a Tivo. They required us to drop off our Tivos at their office to get the cable cards installed. Their office isn't even in our city. It is in a small town more than 30 minutes away from us. They didn't seem to care about the new FCC rules requiring them to allow self-install of cable cards and refused to install them at our house because "it takes too long - up to 3 hours". They obviously are clueless. Comcast installed them in about 10 minutes. Anywho, THEY are my only real variable here as nothing else has changed. Never had any problems until I started using their products. Perhaps something has gone awry inside my Tivo, but I'm leaning more towards the cable card/incoming signal as the problem. For starters, our first 3 weeks of service before this channel loss phenomenon wasn't exactly perfect. Some channels would take several seconds to "find" the signal. They would display the "looking for signal" message and if you waited long enough, the channel would finally come in. Some channels would be fine one day and then not exist the next. Other times you'd turn to a channel and there would be no signal, then if you hit the channel up/down a couple of times, the channel would magically appear. VERY flakey cable card performance. So it (or the signal itself) is my #1 suspect.

What I don't understand is why Tivo doesn't implement a simple watchdog timer to fix this problem. I'm sure they can do a software reset of the cable card without having to manually reboot the entire Tivo every time the cable card fails.

I think I'm going to swap out the cable cards between our 2 premieres and see if the problem persists or follows the cable card. If it follows the card, then we have our answer.

I'm also wondering if signal strength is an issue. We have 8 cable drops throughout our house. They used an 8-way splitter for this. Not a problem to do this, but it does create an 11dB drop. In Denver, we had the same thing, but also included an 11dB amp prior to the splitter to compensate for the dB loss. So I'm wondering if an amp would solve the problem. At the same time, if it was a signal issue, I would have to believe the problem would exist on the other tivos, too, which it does not. But maybe it is on the hairy edge of the threshold required by the cable card and therefore some work while others don't.
kp921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #110
sldavis1952

It would seem to be an easy software fix to write a watchdog routine to reset the cable card. But Tivo would have to acknowledge they have a bug first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp921 View Post
Started having this same issue (loss of channels) on Sunday. Has pretty much happened once per day since. There was a really bad storm Saturday, which caused a power loss for a few seconds. Not sure if that has anything to do with it (i.e. damaging Tivo and/or cable card) or if it is just a coincidence. We have 2 premieres and a series 3. This only appears to be happening on one of the premieres. It happens to be our oldest premiere, which we have had since they came out a couple years ago. With the exception of some of the well known glitches that the premiere software had when it first came out, it had been running smoothly and rarely had any issues and never had this particular issue.

We recently relocated from Denver, CO to a much smaller city in Iowa. We had comcast in Denver. Unfortunately, they don't provide cable in our new location so we now have a small cable company called USA Communications. They are actually running fiber, so there is a fiber-to-RF converter in our house that supplies the RF signal to our Tivos. Because they are such a small company, they have little experience with Tivos and cable cards. In fact, we are only the 2nd customer to have a Tivo. They required us to drop off our Tivos at their office to get the cable cards installed. Their office isn't even in our city. It is in a small town more than 30 minutes away from us. They didn't seem to care about the new FCC rules requiring them to allow self-install of cable cards and refused to install them at our house because "it takes too long - up to 3 hours". They obviously are clueless. Comcast installed them in about 10 minutes. Anywho, THEY are my only real variable here as nothing else has changed. Never had any problems until I started using their products. Perhaps something has gone awry inside my Tivo, but I'm leaning more towards the cable card/incoming signal as the problem. For starters, our first 3 weeks of service before this channel loss phenomenon wasn't exactly perfect. Some channels would take several seconds to "find" the signal. They would display the "looking for signal" message and if you waited long enough, the channel would finally come in. Some channels would be fine one day and then not exist the next. Other times you'd turn to a channel and there would be no signal, then if you hit the channel up/down a couple of times, the channel would magically appear. VERY flakey cable card performance. So it (or the signal itself) is my #1 suspect.

What I don't understand is why Tivo doesn't implement a simple watchdog timer to fix this problem. I'm sure they can do a software reset of the cable card without having to manually reboot the entire Tivo every time the cable card fails.

I think I'm going to swap out the cable cards between our 2 premieres and see if the problem persists or follows the cable card. If it follows the card, then we have our answer.

I'm also wondering if signal strength is an issue. We have 8 cable drops throughout our house. They used an 8-way splitter for this. Not a problem to do this, but it does create an 11dB drop. In Denver, we had the same thing, but also included an 11dB amp prior to the splitter to compensate for the dB loss. So I'm wondering if an amp would solve the problem. At the same time, if it was a signal issue, I would have to believe the problem would exist on the other tivos, too, which it does not. But maybe it is on the hairy edge of the threshold required by the cable card and therefore some work while others don't.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #111
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldavis1952 View Post
It would seem to be an easy software fix to write a watchdog routine to reset the cable card. But Tivo would have to acknowledge they have a bug first.
TiVo could claim (accurately maybe) that the bug is in the cable card firmware. But if they could develop a watchdog routine or other workaround to keep the cable card from causing problems, everyone would benefit.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #112
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Just wanted to add my experience of this happening on a 2 month old Elite. Was playing back an ongoing recording of the PGA Championship on Saturday when playback froze up completely (I was about 10 minutes behind live). I could back out to the menus but the background stayed as the frozen golf course screen, not the normal Tivo menu background. Switching any of the tuners to live TV resulted in the 'problem with signal, trying again' message.

Switched inputs to my TV cable in (HD clear QAM) and of course the cable signal is fine. Rebooting the Tivo cleared up the issue. Will have to pull/reinsert the card next time since that seems to be a faster trick to fix it, but if this happens on a regular basis I'm putting the Elite on fleabay and going back to my old HD because it never does this.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #113
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Forgot to add one more strange thing about the picture freeze - after I rebooted I found that the two recordings I had going didn't stop, they actually continued until the reboot even though the tuners were complaining about the signal when I tried to go live. There was no pixelation or any hint of a bad signal in the recordings.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #114
JosephB

I have Charter, 2 Cisco TAs, and 2 Scientific Atlanta cable cards plus 2 regular TiVo Premiers, and I have this problem a lot. I usually don't lose ALL channels, but most of the time about 50% of my digital channels don't work. It started happening right before Charter made a significant addition of HD channels. The problem happens on both of the Tivos.

Sometimes a reboot of the TA and/or the Tivo will solve the issue, and it was completely resolved for a week or two after Charter added the new channels, but it slowly came back. It's actually a little worse because now not only do the digital channels not come in at all sometimes, it's started to mix up the analog channels. I think it's a TA or headend problem because sometimes I can be watching a digital channel and it'll "switch" to another channel--the Tivo doesn't change channels, but the video stream changes as if that QAM channel has a new stream on it.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini

Last edited by JosephB : 09-10-2012 at 10:21 PM.
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #115
ghostrider45
Ghostrider45

Arrow This is getting old...

My 4 month old Elite is losing all channels about once every 3 weeks, always on a Sunday evening when I have a lot of things set to record. The Elite cannot find signal on any channel, on any tuner. Recordings made during this period are blank. A reboot brings the tuners back.

Meanwhile my trusty Series 3 boxes chug along merrily without any hiccups.

I'm glad I left them up as backups, but I can't decommission them because of the Elite problems. The Elite has lots of nice new features, but they don't matter if the box can't handle basic recording chores.

Tivo, we need a fix for this! Your product needs to be more robust! I shouldn't have to run backup Series 3 Tivos just to ensure that I get my recordings!

I'm debating dumping the Elite and just keeping the Series 3 boxes.

BTW I am on Cox in Metairie, LA, using Motorola Cablecard and TA.
ghostrider45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #116
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yeah and if anyone says it's a TA problem, that's not it - I'm on Comcast with no TAs but I've only seen the problem once so far. TAs may have something to do with it, but it's likely that the tuners have an issue with a sporadic signal fluctuation or something.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #117
danix180

Arrow

Had the same issue this morning.

I'm on WOW in Chicago with a Tivo premiere. Been 2 weeks tivo customer.

This morning I lost all my channels. I couldn't even playback the recorded shows. Just black screen.

I had do to a hard reboot ( which takes 5 min ) to restore the channels. I'm not very happy right now.
danix180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #118
shamilian

Same issue for me, black screen, I can rewind and see where it starts to go bad... I have 2 premieres and multiple HDs, on FIOS system, it only happens on one of the premieres.

I use to reboot, but I found that pulling the cablecard, then reinserting the cablecard clears the problem...
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #119
sldavis1952

Lost all channels again on the Tivo Premiere. Tivo displayed, "Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again." Restarted and channels came back. Yesterday we had a brief power outage due to a thunderstorm and the Tivo restarted when the power came back on.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #120
rcb929

I have the same thing no channels, but for two weeks using Fios.
I had two different tects come out and they had no idea about cable card!
My RS Uncorrected is about 5000 - 50000. Cant get help from Verizon!!!!
If any one has any ideas please let me know.
Thanks
rcb929 is offline   Reply With Quote