TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #61
sldavis1952

Restarted Tivo. It was pixelating on the channels I tried. The audio was
coming in and out. Doing the same thing after the restart.
sldavis1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #62
sldavis1952

Restarted Tivo. It wasn't receiving any channels. One tuner was on TCL channel 323.
I didn't see what the other tuner was on. This happened about 7 pm.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #63
sldavis1952

At 6:15 AM the Tivo wasn't receiving channels. Tivo was displaying,
"Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again." It was trying to record
channel 267 a public broadcasting channel. It was pixelating bad on this
channel. The other tuner was on channel 50 Fox Sports. This was where it was displaying the message. I tried several other channels. It would either display the message with a black background or show blocky pixelation. I pulled the cablecard, waited a minute and reinserted the card. All the channels came back. Calling Longview Cable this morning about it.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #64
sldavis1952

The Longview Cable tech came by about 3 pm. He said that it was the signal causing my problem.
He put in a 2-way splitter on the the line coming into my structured media box. One line going
to the Tivo and on the other line he put a 3-way splitter going to my other TVs. The prior
setup had a 4-way split. Hopefully this will fix the problem.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #65
mad

This is kind of happening to me now as well...only my cable is perfectly fine and it just happens randomly, especially if I leave my TV on overnight. I don't know how to fix it, only that it usually takes a few days and then fixes it self. There are 3 other TVs in my house, none of which have this problem. I don't want to wait a few days this time, how do I fix it?!
mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #66
sldavis1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad View Post
This is kind of happening to me now as well...only my cable is perfectly fine and it just happens randomly, especially if I leave my TV on overnight. I don't know how to fix it, only that it usually takes a few days and then fixes it self. There are 3 other TVs in my house, none of which have this problem. I don't want to wait a few days this time, how do I fix it?!
To temporarily fix it I have pulled the cablecard waited about 30 seconds and reinserted the cablecard. This works most of the time. A few times I have had to restart the Tivo. I am hoping that putting in the 2-way and 3-way splitters to replace the 4-way splitter by the cable tech is the solution. This increased the signal going to my Tivo Premiere.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #67
mad

Can I pull it out while the Tivo is on? The restart process is obnoxious.
mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #68
gteague
golftango

yep & yep.

/guy
Old 06-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #69
sldavis1952

I haven't had a problem since 6/19. I'm hoping that the increase in signal has fixed the problem. The cable tech mentioned that with hot weather the signal strength decreases. It has been over 100 for a few days and high 90s before that.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #70
sldavis1952

All of the channels were black and Tivo displayed, "Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again." I thought this might happen. Longview Cable is doing a cable lineup change today and this has occurred before on the Tivo when the cable company has done a lineup change. I restarted the Tivo and could receive the channels again.

Last edited by sldavis1952 : 07-01-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: add restart.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #71
sldavis1952

All the channels were gone this morning. Some just black screens. Others pixelating too bad to watch. I restarted the Tivo and everything was back. We had a thunderstorm this morning, don't know if that caused anything.

A few days ago the magnetron went out on our GE Profile microwave. We heard a loud pop and then ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD went out right after that. About 30 minutes later they both came back without doing anything.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #72
sldavis1952

Had a thunderstorm yesterday afternoon. Last night the Premiere lost all channels about 8:15 PM. I restarted, but this didn't fix the problem. I pulled the cable card and reinserted. I got the channels back. This morning about 6:15 AM all the cable channels were gone again. I restarted and the channels were back.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #73
sldavis1952

Lost all channels again tonight about 9 PM. Pulled cable card and reinserted. Channels came back. Signal strength around 87-90 and snr around 36-37 DB on both tuners.

Last edited by sldavis1952 : 07-10-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: add 9 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #74
sldavis1952

Lost all channels again about 9:45 PM. The Premiere may be failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldavis1952 View Post
Lost all channels again tonight about 9 PM. Pulled cable card and reinserted. Channels came back. Signal strength around 87-90 and snr around 36-37 DB on both tuners.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #75
markfheil

This just happened to me this morning. No signal message on all channels AND none of my RECORDED shows would play. Well, they would play, but no sound or picture, just the green progress bar showed. Even downloaded videos would not play. Did a restart from the menu and its all back to normal. I'm assuming the flash video player crashed?
markfheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #76
sldavis1952

Not able to receive any channels this morning. Looked at DVR Diagnostics for channel 266 and 349.

Channel: 266
Signal Strength: 83-87
SNR: 36 dB
RS Uncorrected: 464
RS Corrected: 135

Channel: 349
Signal Strength: 89-91
SNR: 37 dB
RS Uncorrected: 453
RS Corrected: 143

I will restart the Tivo. This is about 6 outages in the last 4 days. I don't know if Tivo Premiere is robust enough to work with Longview Cable's signal strength. It has gone long stretches with no outages, but then will have clusters of failures like this.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #77
sldavis1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfheil View Post
This just happened to me this morning. No signal message on all channels AND none of my RECORDED shows would play. Well, they would play, but no sound or picture, just the green progress bar showed. Even downloaded videos would not play. Did a restart from the menu and its all back to normal. I'm assuming the flash video player crashed?
This sounds different from what I am experiencing. My recorded shows would play, if they were recorded before an outage occurred.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #78
MC Hammer

Quote:
Not able to receive any channels this morning. Looked at DVR Diagnostics for channel 266 and 349.

Channel: 266
Signal Strength: 83-87
RS Uncorrected: 464
RS Corrected: 135

Channel: 349
Signal Strength: 89-91
SNR: 37 dB
RS Uncorrected: 453
RS Corrected: 143

I will restart the Tivo. This is about 6 outages in the last 4 days. I don't know if Tivo Premiere is robust enough to work with Longview Cable's signal strength. It has gone long stretches with no outages, but then will have clusters of failures like this.
Hmm, thats almost exactly what my boxes read and I have no issues. Maybe contact TiVo for a replacement? Could be the box is going bad.
MC Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #79
sldavis1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
Hmm, thats almost exactly what my boxes read and I have no issues. Maybe contact TiVo for a replacement? Could be the box is going bad.
I thought so too. Tivo support saw my posts and have offered to replace the unit.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #80
sldavis1952

I lost all channels again this morning. So 6 times in 4 days. I decided to try something before calling Longview Cable support and Tivo support. I have 2 coax cables coming in from the outside box. I'm sure there is a splitter outside for the 2 lines, but thought I would give my idea a try. One line was dedicated to my internet connection and the other split 4 ways to my cable TVs in my structured network media cabinet. I powered down my Tivos and my cable modem. I swapped the dedicated line to go to my Tivo Premiere and the split line is going to my other 3 cable TVs and my internet connection. Everything is back up and running. So this eliminates any splits inside the house to the Premiere. What the DVR Diagnostics show now.

Channel: 348
Signal Strength: 86-87
RS Uncorrected: 1
RS Corrected: 1

Channel: 250
Signal Strength: 87-89
SNR: 36-37 dB
RS Corrected: 0

I am going to see if this helps the situation any. Next steps will be to call Longview Cable support and Tivo support if problems persist.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #81
sldavis1952

Quote:
I lost all channels again this morning. So 6 times in 4 days. I decided to try something before calling Longview Cable support and Tivo support. I have 2 coax cables coming in from the outside box. I'm sure there is a splitter outside for the 2 lines, but thought I would give my idea a try. One line was dedicated to my internet connection and the other split 4 ways to my cable TVs in my structured network media cabinet. I powered down my Tivos and my cable modem. I swapped the dedicated line to go to my Tivo Premiere and the split line is going to my other 3 cable TVs and my internet connection. Everything is back up and running. So this eliminates any splits inside the house to the Premiere. What the DVR Diagnostics show now.

Channel: 348
Signal Strength: 86-87
RS Corrected: 1

Channel: 250
Signal Strength: 87-89
SNR: 36-37 dB
RS Corrected: 0

I am going to see if this helps the situation any. Next steps will be to call Longview Cable support and Tivo support if problems persist.
Lost all channels again. So changing to a dedicated coax line didn't help.
Restarted and channels came back. 2 channels it was on were pixelating so bad you couldn't watch. Going by Longview cable and get the tech to come by again.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #82
sldavis1952

Longview Cable tech came by and signal was fine for all channels. He replaced the
cable card. Previously I had put the coax lines back to original configuration, where
the cable modem has the dedicated line coming into the house.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #83
MC Hammer

Quote:
Longview Cable tech came by and signal was fine for all channels. He replaced the
cable card. Previously I had put the coax lines back to original configuration, where
the cable modem has the dedicated line coming into the house.
Any idea what the dBmV levels were when they measured the signal?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #84
sldavis1952

The tech measured something and said it was the same as the SNR. It was around 36 for all channels. He measured the analog channels, lower HD channels that aren't encrypted and the upper HD channels that are encrypted. He said all the channels had a signal that was okay. The good news is that at least for this morning the Tivo was working when I got up. Maybe the new cable card will do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
Any idea what the dBmV levels were when they measured the signal?

Old 07-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #85
MC Hammer

Quote:
The tech measured something and said it was the same as the SNR. It was around 36 for all channels. He measured the analog channels, lower HD channels that aren't encrypted and the upper HD channels that are encrypted. He said all the channels had a signal that was okay. The good news is that at least for this morning the Tivo was working when I got up. Maybe the new cable card will do the trick.
That doesn't sound right. Typical dBmV levels on a CATV system are usually -10dBmV to +10dBmV.

Last edited by MC Hammer : 07-13-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #86
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

I lost all my cable channels on my Elite a few days ago. The whole thing started when I couldn't get the local TWC news channel (YNN HD) on my Elite. I started a thread at the TiVo.com site on this because I thought it was a guide issue. A person representing TiVo on that forum (Jessica?) had me redo guided setup. When guided setup was complete, my Elite would not display ANY channels.

I rebooted the tuning adapter and restarted the Elite many times, still NO Channels at all. I did notice, however, that when I rebooted the TA, the non-SDV channels would display. Once the TA had finished rebooting, no channels would display.

Having grown frustrated with TiVo support, I contacted TWC via twitter. They asked me for both my TA and CC serial numbers and then attempted to reauthorize my cable card. This didn't work. The TWC rep contacted the TWC cable card hotline and then said that they are aware of a recent TiVo software update that is causing the problem.

Funny thing is, I also have a plain old Premiere (with CC & TA) in my bedroom that works fine. The TWC rep said that Premiere didn't get the new TiVo software update, while the Elite did. A quick check of the TiVos menus showed the Elite had a different (newer) software version: 20.2.1.2-01-2-758

TWC said they would notify me when TiVo told them there was a resolution to my issue. In the meantime, they told me to unplug the USB cord between my TA and TiVo so I could receive the non-SDV channels. This doesn't help me with the season premiere of Breaking Bad tonight on AMC (a SDV channel).

Last edited by skaggs : 07-15-2012 at 07:32 PM.
skaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #87
sldavis1952

Lost all channels again. Tivo displayed, "Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again."
Restarted and channels came back. We were watching Netflix when the channels disappeared. The recording
of Falling Skies on TNT quit at 8:14 PM while we were watching Netflix.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #88
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post
I lost all my cable channels on my Elite a few days ago. The whole thing started when I couldn't get the local TWC news channel (YNN HD) on my Elite. I started a thread at the TiVo.com site on this because I thought it was a guide issue. A person representing TiVo on that forum (Jessica?) had me redo guided setup. When guided setup was complete, my Elite would not display ANY channels.

I rebooted the tuning adapter and restarted the Elite many times, still NO Channels at all. I did notice, however, that when I rebooted the TA, the non-SDV channels would display. Once the TA had finished rebooting, no channels would display.

Having grown frustrated with TiVo support, I contacted TWC via twitter. They asked me for both my TA and CC serial numbers and then attempted to reauthorize my cable card. This didn't work. The TWC rep contacted the TWC cable card hotline and then said that they are aware of a recent TiVo software update that is causing the problem.

Funny thing is, I also have a plain old Premiere (with CC & TA) in my bedroom that works fine. The TWC rep said that Premiere didn't get the new TiVo software update, while the Elite did. A quick check of the TiVos menus showed the Elite had a different (newer) software version: 20.2.1.2-01-2-758

TWC said they would notify me when TiVo told them there was a resolution to my issue. In the meantime, they told me to unplug the USB cord between my TA and TiVo so I could receive the non-SDV channels. This doesn't help me with the season premiere of Breaking Bad tonight on AMC (a SDV channel).
Interesting. I recently had a bear of a time getting an Elite unit going. Initially I had problems with signal where 2 out of 4 tuners would not tune anything and I eventually moved to a different cable drop. I ended up having to run guided setup 3 times (once without CC and TA) to get things working. The whole process was much harder than any TiVo unit I've had before. It did have the newest software on it after going through 1st guided setup and rebooting.
Both times that things didn't work guided setup never prompted me to check the lineup by tuning to a channel (usually 14=CNN). The 3rd time I did guided setup it did prompt me to check a channel and that's when things started working properly. I assumed it was just Elite having problems with signal but maybe there's a software bug component to it.
Seems to be mostly working now but I've had a couple of unattended reboots I know about so does not seem very stable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 07-15-2012 at 10:33 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #89
MC Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post

That is the same software revision that is running on all Premieres. The 758 at the end doesn't indicate a newer version - its the first 3 numbers of your TSN. The version number is listed before the -xx-x-xxx (20.2.1.2).

Have to say, seems clear that it is a Time Warner issue as evidenced by your Premiere running with no issues. They were probably just blowing smoke by attempting to pin the blame on Tivo.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #90
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

I called the TWC Cablecard hotlines about 5 minutes ago and the rep immediately told me that they have about 25 TiVo Elite customers with the same issue. He ran me through the diagnostic screens and checked my readings, which were all OK. He said TWC notified TiVo and TiVo does not have a resolution at this time.