TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #571
gigaguy

I sometimes have this annoying channel not avail. tuning problem on some channels. I've had my used Premiere for 2-3 months to test Tivo out. This tuning issue easily keeps me from investing more for a Roamio or paying lifetime...yet. Also the issue of TWC copy protection (everything), funky tuning adapters, and being a Mac user are all negatives per using TiVo.

but the Premiere box works pretty well. even just added a 1TB expander and was pretty troublefree to set up, (had to restart the Tivo and the darn tuning adapter) but the expander has worked fine and was only $50.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #572
XIBM

My XL4 has failed about once a week this year until Tivo Margret took my #s as indicated earlier in this thread. They must of scarred it for it worked only failing once or twice in three or four months. However, in the last two weeks I have had two failures so I seem to be back to square one - one of the failures was right at midnight so Charter may have changed something. I have not signed up for the early software. Has anyone figured how to make it reboot each evening so you only loose one day's recording without a timer on the power cord? I hate to remove power that way and would like to use the soft reboot under help.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #573
XIBM

My XL4 has been running for a couple of weeks but yesterday and again today my NFL game was playing pixelated and all channels in live TV were dead. It did the same thing yesterday and is always fixed with a soft reboot.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #574
edesmond

I purchased a tivo premiere about 6 months ago so I could use the comcast on demand features. I have gone though at least 5 cable cards. The cards pair and work fine for a while, then I start to slowly lose HD channels. It starts randomly, a few at a time, then suddenly the whole card is shot. This seems to start AFTER I use on demand. Every time I use the OD feature the channels start disappearing. I read the "losing all channels" thread & restarted my tivo - it worked & the channels have been restored today. Interestingly, I tried this about 2 months ago and it did not restore my channels and I ended up having to change cable cards.

TSN: 750-001-904D-30BA
Error: "Problem with the signal on this channel. Trying again. (V53)"
Comcast Xfinity
edesmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #575
kerreej

This is horrible. I'm having the same issues most of you are having. I have to completly restart my TIVO in order for my channels to work. Fustrated, I canceled my TIVO service and then went with the Oceanic TWC cable DVR. OMG, OMG, OMG!! The navigation and layout is pre-historic, I can't believe how horrible it is to use. On top of that, it takes at least 5 seconds for the channels to change. What am I to do?!! Please help. Someone! I love my TIVO HD, but can use it!
kerreej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #576
NoVa

Same issue here. On random occasions 1 or more channels will go totally blank with only the V53 message on screen as being shown.

Odd this started happening with the winter update.
NoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #577
dcostinett

I've started getting this same problem almost every time I sit down to watch TV now:
Error: "Problem with the signal on this channel. Trying again. (V53)"
Sometimes the message will report that I'm not authorized for that station, but after rebooting the TiVo it will work for a short time, then start failing again sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after just changing channels a couple times, sometimes I won't see the problem for the rest of the evening. It always starts working for a short time after a reboot though.

I had a Series 3 for 4+ years and never had a problem. I upgraded to an XL4 and didn't have any trouble for a year, but then started seeing this issue intermittently. TiVo swapped out my XL4 for an Elite (an older version of the same model) and I subsequently got the cable card replaced by Frontier FIOS but still have the same problem.

When the problem seemed to follow the cable card after replacing the TiVo unit, I thought replacing the card would resolve the issue. I find now though that we get the same problem on multiple TiVos in the house -- initially I didn't realize we were having the problem on multiple TiVos, but sure enough it seems to happen on all 3 different units now.

The SNR reading on all the TiVos reads 37dB, sometimes 38 or infrequently as high as 39, but usually 37.

TiVo seems to advise they need between 29 & 35, but I never had trouble with the Serires 3 for around 4 years with the same cable service/signal. Based on the symptoms and history of the problems, it seems to me it must be a software update to the TiVo that started the problems...
dcostinett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #578
teacherspet

I keep losing channels everyday kind of stuck on what to do look at all the complains it's been going on for along time
teacherspet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #579
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherspet View Post
I keep losing channels everyday kind of stuck on what to do look at all the complains it's been going on for along time

Any new news from anyone on this issue?

I have one channel NBCSports that the Premiere seem to not be able to keep a straight signal on.

so it will either show a black screen with the V53 message or it will be heavily pixelated & unwatchable.

Has any1 tried to get a new cable card?
NoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #580
XIBM

I still loose all channels about once a week, soft reboot always fixes it. Usually I notice the playback of a recording starts pixelating, I check the live TV tuners and they are all black with a v53 or not authorized.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #581
rjbur

Problem with the signal on this channel. Try Again (V53)

Add me to the list.

First I went to the menu and did the reboot, no help same error.

I called Comcast yesterday and they tried everything the phone person could do and even had me:

1) Pull the Cable Card out for 90 seconds and try again

2) Tried this and unplugging the unit.

3) Unplugged unit for more than 5 minuets

Still same error messages.

I went to the page where I could see each channels power / signal level and switch through working channels and non working and they were all in the 90 + range for both working and not.

My Cable Model is very close to my TIVO unit and thus the main feed from Comcast.

I have not yet tried rerunning the "Setup Wizard" for fear it will wipe out all my recordings.

Comcast seems to think I may have a bad Cable Card. Personally I don't think the people on the Chat or Phone know anything about how to deal with TIVO units.

When I first installed my TIVO unit I spent hours and days on the phone with various Comcast folks and even TIVO support and it wasn't until Comcast sent out a service person that I was VERY luck that it was the one that had to deal with a TIVO install before. He knew all of the strange request to make to change the Comcast network configuration so my Cable Card would actually come alive.

I have an appointment on Wed. Morning with another service person and I hope he or she know TIVO... I'm already on my second Cable Card and they think I now need a third??? Wish they would just leave a box full...

What is funny, at the higher channels where my wife wanted to watch Hallmark, 793 and 794 show this error, but 791 and 795 work fine. They all show the same high strong signal levels as well???

I am now going to sit down and go through ALL the channels to see which ones are reporting the error...

Wow that takes a long time... Switch one channel at a time and noted those that reported the V53 error:

2, 4, 5, 7,8, 9, 12, 13, 14, 17, 19, 20, 21, 24, 25, 31, 32, 103, 104, 111, 190, 191, 192, 194, 197, 200, 433, 450, 621, 636, 676, 706, 726, 727, 733, 734, 736, 738, 739, 745, 746, 747, 749, 750, 753, 755, 756, 759, 761, 762, 763, 764, 766, 768, 769, 771, 772, 781, 782, 787, 793, 794, 796, 797, 798, 811, 812, 816, 875, 877, 897

Last edited by rjbur : 04-06-2014 at 06:19 PM.
rjbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #582
Teeps

Does comcast use a tuning adapter?
If so:

AT the tuning adapter; disconnect the usb cable and power cord.
Wait 30 seconds, then reconnect the power cord.
When the indicator light, on the front of the t/a stops blinking
Connect the USB cable.
Tivo should show a message stating a tuning adapter has been detected.
choose continue, then check channels.

Note:
the above instructions work for time warner with cisco adapters.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #583
jrtroo
User

Comcast does not use SDV. I do recommend that rjbur contact the cablecard hotline, and not just the normal Comcast CSRs. They are much better equipped to handle cablecard issues.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #584
dkenglish7

V53 after 20.4.1 update

My XL4 on Comcast (no tuning adapter) has never had V53 errors before - but a few hours after it installed the 20.4.1 update, it abruptly went to black screen, V53 searching for signal errors on all channels.

Diagnostics showed signal strength in the low 90s for all channels and zero RSS errors. My Tivo S3 kept working normally, so no Comcast failure, just a Premiere XL4 failure. A soft reboot brought all the channels back, for now.
dkenglish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #585
mcf57

I'm having similar issues on a lifetime 2-tuner Premiere. Will check the version number I am on, but am at my wits end to trying to get this fixed. My ONLY possible solution at this point is to pair another M-card I still have from a recently sold S3 unit.

Otherwise, I may just consider selling the unit & taking those funds to buy a lifetime Mini since my 4-tuner premiere (& another mini I have connected to it) is working great.
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:41 PM   #586
ciper

Angry

I'm mad. I've been a Tivo user since 1999. Too many lifetime units to count. Just recently my girlfriend spent about a thousand dollars on a six tuner roamio and larger drive. I have numerous recordings that have been missed because of this problem.

I'm am very close to switching back to my previous Tivo and selling this piece of ****.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #587
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post
I'm mad. I've been a Tivo user since 1999. Too many lifetime units to count. Just recently my girlfriend spent about a thousand dollars on a six tuner roamio and larger drive. I have numerous recordings that have been missed because of this problem.

I'm am very close to switching back to my previous Tivo and selling this piece of ****.
I have had no issues with my Roamio Pro, no missed recordings. Rock solid. This is my second unit though, the first one must have had a faulty tuner chip, or signal amp, where recordings were missed and severe macroblocking was occurring upon a restart, and often for 30 seconds after a channel change. The Replacement unit is fine.

Who is your Provider?
What is your CableCARD firmware?
Do you use a Tuning Adapter?
Signal Levels?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:00 AM   #588
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenglish7 View Post
My XL4 on Comcast (no tuning adapter) has never had V53 errors before - but a few hours after it installed the 20.4.1 update, it abruptly went to black screen, V53 searching for signal errors on all channels.

Diagnostics showed signal strength in the low 90s for all channels and zero RSS errors. My Tivo S3 kept working normally, so no Comcast failure, just a Premiere XL4 failure. A soft reboot brought all the channels back, for now.
There's been some work on getting a newer firmware version on the cablecard to see if that solves the problem. Hopefully it does.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #589
SamuriHL

I've been having this problem on my Elite for the past couple months. It's starting to get really old. 9 laps to go in the Indy 500 and it just suddenly stops working with a v53 error??? Come on. Pulling the card sometimes resets it. It didn't in this case so I'm rebooting the tivo. I'm on Comcast. This really needs to get fixed.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #590
Cap'n Preshoot

Okay, counting mine, we now have 590 posts on this topic. So the obvious question, is anyone at TIVO looking at it? This problem has only recently begun, so obviously something has changed and it's clear that it's affecting many-many TIVO owners. Can we please get this resolved?
Old 05-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #591
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post
Okay, counting mine, we now have 590 posts on this topic. So the obvious question, is anyone at TIVO looking at it? This problem has only recently begun, so obviously something has changed and it's clear that it's affecting many-many TIVO owners. Can we please get this resolved?
"Recently begun"? What are you talking about? The first post of this thread was over 2 1/2 years ago!

It's clear there are multiple causes, and some of them have been fixed by TiVo (and others by the cable companies, and others have had work-arounds that help issued by TiVo) and some have not.