TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #31
sldavis1952

Lost all channels again at 8:26 PM central time. Tivo quit recording American Pickers and The Closer. Also didn't record Hawaii 5-0 and Rizzoli and Isles. Ugh!!!
sldavis1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #32
sldavis1952

Got the 14.9.2.2 update early this morning. Had a message that Program Guide data had run out. I haven't had many problems lately.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #33
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldavis1952 View Post
Got the 14.9.2.2 update early this morning. Had a message that Program Guide data had run out. I haven't had many problems lately.
Interesting, I had the same program guide data message, so I just took a look at system info and I also now have 14.9.2.2. I wonder why guide data running out seems to be a side effect of getting the new release?
tomhorsley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #34
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I have had my Tivo Premiere since 9-12-2011. I haven't had any problems with it until Friday, 9-30-2011. I was watching the Texas Rangers playoff game and it decided to restart on its on.

The next day the Tivo lost all the cable channels. I tried several of the channels and the unscrambled channels screen said it couldn't find a signal. The scrambled channels said channel not authorized. I restarted the Tivo from the Help menu item and the channels reappeared. The cablecard is a Motorola cablecard.

Last night Monday, 10-3-2011 we were watching some recorded shows and when we finished watching, all the cable channels had disappeared again. I tried to call Tivo, but it was after 7 pm PST. So I started a chat session. Before I called I restarted the Tivo and all channels came back. They guy had me look at some diagnostics and thought it might have been because of a signal dip. I called Tivo support this morning and the tech echoed the same thinking about a signal dip causing the restart on Friday and losing the channels on both occasions. I expressed that the software seemed to be less than robust if it couldn't recover from a signal dip. We agreed that I would monitor and not restart the next time the loss of channels happens during support hours. The tech also mentioned that a new version of the software was being pushed out toward the end of October.

Has anyone experienced these problems before?
I just had this happen to the premiere(1TB upgrade) I have in my bedroom. I have no idea what caused it, but all channels, OTA and cable, had a black screen. but if I checked the signal strength it was fine, but still no picture. A reboot fixed it, but I have no idea what caused it. I don't use this TiVo very often so it could have been like this for a few days.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #35
L David Matheny

Quote:
I got the "Program info has run out!" message Saturday. Apparently that's when my Premiere rebooted itself to install 14.9.2.2, but unfortunately I wasn't there to see it. The guide looked fine when I checked it later, and I haven't found any missing recordings, so I guess the problem was fixed by the next scheduled VCM connection.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #36
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I just had this happen to the premiere(1TB upgrade) I have in my bedroom. I have no idea what caused it, but all channels, OTA and cable, had a black screen. but if I checked the signal strength it was fine, but still no picture. A reboot fixed it, but I have no idea what caused it. I don't use this TiVo very often so it could have been like this for a few days.
Same thing happened on my Elite this morning. A reboot corrected the problem.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #37
martynl

Thumbs up

Thought I might add a final update on this issue for me. [See my earlier coments for previous details]

I got my Premiere Elite in September last year, and saw lost-all-channels every day for about 3 months. It was for a long period unclear whether the problem was the tivo, the cablecard, the quality of the cable signal or some other factor.

All through this period my 6 year old Tivo Series 3 was successfully working with almost no problems with the same cable signal. [This tivo had a long-term history of pixellation whose source was unknown].

Problem fixes tried
- clear and reset tivo
- re-pair cable cards
- switch cable cards
- cable company recable from wall to tivo
- return and replace premiere elite
- cable company investigate signal quality at their end

After all of this, tivo was convinced that the problem was with the cable signal. In particular, we saw especially high values of RS Uncorrected in the Tivo diagnostics, which tivo insisted was the cause of the problem.

By contrast Broadstripe (the cable company) insisted that the signal was fine and that they could detect no signal issues at all with any of their devices. They were somewhat cooperative and turned up for several no-charge service appointments, but never called back when they said they would and there was no improvement in service. They also claimed that cablecards were bad, out of production and that they were 'unable to order any more'. In the end we had ~6 service calls with Broadstripe and I had to stay home many days to make no progress.

So finally I took the nuclear option and switched cable companies. Luckily our condo building has two cable providers, so I was easily able to switch to Comcast.

Since the switch to comcast, we have had both perfect video (no pixellation on either tivo). However, ouir RS Uncorrected values are still very high (even higher than before). So even if this is really an indication of video quality problems, it's clear that this was not the root of our problem.

My belief after all of this is that the problem was actually with the broadstripe cable cards being unstable/unreliable. We only tried 2 Broadstripe cards and that made me rule out cablecard problems, but I think I was too quick to rule that out. The other possibility is that Comcast's head unit is of higher quality than Broadstripe.

Either way, for slightly more cost we got many more HD channels and finally solved our 3 month Elite nightmare. So well worth it.

Martyn
martynl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #38
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by martynl View Post
Thought I might add a final update on this issue for me. [See my earlier coments for previous details]

I got my Premiere Elite in September last year, and saw lost-all-channels every day for about 3 months. <del>

All through this period my 6 year old Tivo Series 3 was successfully working with almost no problems with the same cable signal. <del>

By contrast Broadstripe (the cable company) insisted that the signal was fine and that they could detect no signal issues at all with any of their devices. <del.

Martyn
i didn't realize this thread was here. i've started a log of my similar problems with a new elite. time-warner has been here 3 times and assured me that the signal is good. i was getting los (loss of signal/sync) every 18-48 hours until i changed out the cable card yesterday and now my channels are going out every two hours. it is infuriating to put it mildly. my s3 unit which died was working perfectly with two cable cards and the tuning adaptor and the elite won't work with exactly the same setup.

/guy
Old 01-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #39
sldavis1952

I haven't had a problem with the Tivo Premiere since 12/24/2011. Since the update to
14.9.2.2, which I got on 12/16/2011, I only had this one incident.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #40
sldavis1952

I started losing channels again on Wednesday, 4/11/2012. I will call Tivo about the problem this afternoon. Following is my log of what has happened.

6:49 AM 4/11/2012 -
Tivo was frozen on channel 250. Said lost signal trying again. I tried 7 channels and it said this
on every channel. Restarted Tivo and it worked fine. Haven't had a problem in a long time.
Later in the morning there was a message about a change in the channel lineup. Two channels
had moved. At 9 PM the Tivo restarted when I selected CSI Miami to play.

11:03 AM 4/12/2012 -
This morning about 7:40 AM Tivo displayed, "Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again."
This was on all channels. Restarted and everything was working okay. Under System Information
Software Version: 20.2-01-2-746
DVR Name: <Name this DVR on www.tivo.com> This is fishy. I have had it named sinced I got it in Sept. 2011.

10:16 AM 4/13/2012
About 5:40 AM Tivo displayed, said, "This channel is not authorized. Contact your cable
provider for more information." This was on all the scrambled channels. The other channels displayed,
"Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again." Restarted Tivo and could get all
channels again.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #41
sldavis1952

Losing channels again

Called Tivo support. The young lady walked me through the normal checks. Started recording a channel above 100, went to dvr diagnostics, checked on the cable card, etc. Everything checked out okay. Recommended that next time it happened not to restart the and call Tivo support. Deja vue.

Quote:
I started losing channels again on Wednesday, 4/11/2012. I will call Tivo about the problem this afternoon. Following is my log of what has happened.

6:49 AM 4/11/2012 -
Tivo was frozen on channel 250. Said lost signal trying again. I tried 7 channels and it said this
on every channel. Restarted Tivo and it worked fine. Haven't had a problem in a long time.
Later in the morning there was a message about a change in the channel lineup. Two channels
had moved. At 9 PM the Tivo restarted when I selected CSI Miami to play.

11:03 AM 4/12/2012 -
This morning about 7:40 AM Tivo displayed, "Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again."
This was on all channels. Restarted and everything was working okay. Under System Information
Software Version: 20.2-01-2-746
DVR Name: <Name this DVR on www.tivo.com> This is fishy. I have had it named sinced I got it in Sept. 2011.

10:16 AM 4/13/2012
About 5:40 AM Tivo displayed, said, "This channel is not authorized. Contact your cable
provider for more information." This was on all the scrambled channels. The other channels displayed,
"Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again." Restarted Tivo and could get all
channels again.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #42
Bighouse
200 Club Member

It seems like there are a lot of TiVo users in Texas and a lot of the "losing channel - reboot" comes from there?!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #43
gteague
golftango

i see i last posted in this thread in january, but i've had the channel loss problem from december to today on two different elites. i've been keeping a log in the 'tivo experience' thread and it's nearly 6 pages long now. there are others posting there as well, and i'd say most of them from texas on time-warner

/guy
Old 04-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #44
mike0908

Same problem here in South Jersey with Comcast/Tivo Premiere. Premiere "loses" channels between 5 and 8 days. Reset/restart and all channels are back! Been through 12 cablecards over several Comcast visits. Also replaced the original Premiere box (it wouldn't start, no picture, etc. after ~ 8 months). Have a Series 3 and it's been humming along perfectly forever. Think it's a Tivo Premiere (software?) issue.
mike0908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #45
sldavis1952

4:45 PM 4/29/2012 -
Lost all channels again on the Premiere. The Tivo was displaying, "Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again."
I restarted the Tivo. After restart it is working fine. Noticed that the name of the Tivo series 2 had gone back
to its default name and no longer was named Guest Bedroom.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #46
sldavis1952

Tivo displays, "Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again."
Sometimes it is displaying, "This channel is not authorized. Contact your cable provider for more information." and then it changes to, "Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again."

Tivo support had me remove cable card and the lower non-scrambled channels came in okay. I put the cable card back in and I started receiving the channels. Tivo support said the cable card was intermittent, to call cable company and get new cable card.
I will wait and call the cable company when it happens again.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #47
dan6681

I've started to have the same problem today in Austin with TWC. HD Scrambled channels go out. I restart the TIVO and they all come back. However I'm not having a problem with the non HD channels or HD network channels.
dan6681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #48
dan6681

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan6681 View Post
I've started to have the same problem today in Austin with TWC. HD Scrambled channels go out. I restart the TIVO and they all come back. However I'm not having a problem with the non HD channels or HD network channels.
I pulled the USB cable from the tuner, then pulled the power cord, reinserted power cord and I'm back up in running.
dan6681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #49
sldavis1952

Quote:
Tivo displays, "Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again."
Sometimes it is displaying, "This channel is not authorized. Contact your cable provider for more information." and then it changes to, "Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again."

Tivo support had me remove cable card and the lower non-scrambled channels came in okay. I put the cable card back in and I started receiving the channels. Tivo support said the cable card was intermittent, to call cable company and get new cable card.
I will wait and call the cable company when it happens again.
It has been 2 weeks and the problem hasn't happened again. I think it is a Tivo software issue and not an intermittent cable card. Maybe something in live sports broadcasts that the software can't handle.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #50
lkinley

My Premiere, which I've had for 1 1/2 years now, lost all channels sometime over this last weekend. Reboot fixed it. This has never happened before...

I'm on Comcast and my S3 never had a problem over the same period.
lkinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #51
gteague
golftango

when this happens, you might try pulling the cable card, waiting for a few seconds, then re-inserting the card. this works for me 98% of the time and gets you back and running in 2 minutes vs 12 minutes for a reboot.

but when tivo gets you playing cable-card roulette with the cable company, it's hard to get off the wheel until the cable company gets tired of playing and cuts you off entirely. although it is possible to hit the double-zero and win the game, the odds are about the same as with real roulette.

/guy
Old 05-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #52
sldavis1952

Turned on the TV this morning and all channels were lost. Pulled the cable card and waited a few seconds before reinserting. The channels came back.
It has been 17 days since the last time it occurred.

Last edited by sldavis1952 : 05-20-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Add number of days since last occurrence.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #53
sldavis1952

Got Tivo update yesterday. Software Version: 20.2.1.1-01-2-746.
Logged into Netflix and watched a show. Interface is an improvement
over old one. Watched something on YouTube. Not sure about about
the YouTube interface.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #54
gteague
golftango

it will be hard to keep up with the uptime for the next few months with the stormy season coming to the area which nearly guarantees power failures at least once a week. i haven't had the channel loss problem for about 3 weeks now, but i've had a power failure at least once a week. if i thought a reboot every week would keep me running i'd happily do that, but alas, the problem is just too random or unexplained to respond to that proactive treatment.

one thing i've been trying (out of desperation comes magickal thinking), on the theory that there might be signal corruption on certain channels and knowing that for some reason a handful of channels give me the most problems, i've been keeping my tuners set on 4 of the lower or baseband channels whenever i can and they're idle. i have had virtually no problems in the last 3 weeks and usually i have an outage every 2-4 days, but then again, as i said, i've had at least one restart due to power failure per week. i'm still maintaining my log at:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=481894

/guy
Old 05-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #55
ComputerLover

same my tivo premiere elite's problem with channel and no tv guide problem.. sad
ComputerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #56
sldavis1952

We had a thunderstorm early this morning. When I got up all the channels were gone. I pulled the cable card and re-seated. This work for me this time. I will start logging the channels I live the tuners on. I just checked one tuner and it was on channel 306 TNT and that is what I had left it on last night. I was watching the Spurs-Thunder game.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #57
sldavis1952

Lost all channels tonight. I was watching Netflix. Pulled cablecard and reinserted. Got all
channels back.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #58
sldavis1952

Lost all channels at about 5:30 PM CDT. It was recording a Tivo suggestion on TLC channel 323. We were watching the evening news on NBC channel 250. It was displaying on the scrambled channels, "This channel is not authorized. Contact your cable provider for more information." I pulled the cablecard and reinserted. The channels came back. I decided to do a restart. Can't decide whether to call the cable company as Tivo support suggested.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #59
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
it will be hard to keep up with the uptime for the next few months with the stormy season coming to the area which nearly guarantees power failures at least once a week. ...........
You don't have the TiVo connected to a UPS?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #60
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You don't have the TiVo connected to a UPS?
my ups just died last week and i haven't yet replaced it. i first wanted to run a watt-o-meter to find the current draw and so far it looks like about 85w although that's also the ext drive and i think my cable modem as well.

/guy