TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #541
timstack8969

I'm still having problems with "Picture/Screen" Blanking out for second or two. Also having trouble still when tuning to channels. Out of No where I will receive 'Channel Not Available" even on local channels. So before I call comcast is this all related to TIVO Software? I'm using a TIVO Premiere XL with Cisco cable card on Comcast of Garden State, NJ.
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #542
Solitaire

timstack8969 - I have been having this problem since June on 2 diffferent units, both are Premiere XL. I also have Comcast and Cisco cablecards. When I called Tivo, they said it was a Comcast issue and when I called Comcast they said it was a Tivo issue. So, it depends on who you are talking to to find out where the problems are originating from.
I have spent several hours with tech support from both companies, but still no solutions.
I hope you have better luck.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #543
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
When I called Tivo, they said it was a Comcast issue and when I called Comcast they said it was a Tivo issue.
I believe they are both right. This happened maybe once or twice a month before I got the TiVo 20.3 software update. Back then they were already claiming that old firmware in the Scientific Atlanta/Cisco cable card had a known bug that cause this.

After 20.3 it happens all the time. I can't possibly channel surf through more than 10 or 12 channels before I start getting these errors.

So it may well be a cable card firmware issue, but something TiVo did in the 20.3 update made the problem several orders of magnitude worse.

Comcast claims they will be finishing their infrastructure upgrades (which includes cable card firmware) in October in my area (Delray Beach, FL). I am waiting to see if that actually fixes it.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #544
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
When I called Tivo, they said it was a Comcast issue and when I called Comcast they said it was a Tivo issue.
Assuming we both have the same issue.
I call BS on tivo blaming comcast.
When my XL4 failed to record MotoGp last week and my S3 OLED(648250) Tivo did...

I ask how can that be blamed on the cable provider?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #545
timstack8969

At this point I believe it is the TIVO software causing this because we (Comcast of Garden State, NJ) received our Cisco Cable card update back in May and I'm still having this problem. Aren't we about due for the TIVO Fall update? Waiting on this and then I'll call comcast.
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #546
tomhorsley

I sure wish they'd let me sign up to go back to the pre-20.3 software. I think that would be a perfectly valid and useful experiment to see if the problem does indeed go back to only happening every month or so, but TiVo doesn't seem interested in that experiment :-).
Old 09-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #547
dkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by timstack8969 View Post
At this point I believe it is the TIVO software causing this because we (Comcast of Garden State, NJ) received our Cisco Cable card update back in May and I'm still having this problem. Aren't we about due for the TIVO Fall update? Waiting on this and then I'll call comcast.
I've had the same problem on my Premier since 20.3. Roamio came out so I purchased one. Guess what? Same problem. Roamio has a couple problems. Most cable cards don't support 6 tuners. Software updates are needed by cable companies. Then there is the same problem as the Premier with the tuning issue. My Premier used to work fine until the software update. How can this be Comcast's problem.
dkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #548
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Untrue - only a few cableCos and card firmwares are having trouble with 6 tuners, on Comcast from what I've seen (the largest cableCo) it's pretty much a non-issue.

Please don't exaggerate the issue to dissuade folks from getting a Roamio, it might have the same tuning issues for other reasons but most people will get the full 6 tuners to work with their cards.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #549
dkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Untrue - only a few cableCos and card firmwares are having trouble with 6 tuners, on Comcast from what I've seen (the largest cableCo) it's pretty much a non-issue.

Please don't exaggerate the issue to dissuade folks from getting a Roamio, it might have the same tuning issues for other reasons but most people will get the full 6 tuners to work with their cards.
This is a known issue. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507973 TiVo has confirmed the problem and has also posted the details on the firmware needed on both the Motorola and Cisco/SA cable cards. I have Comcast and Comcast needs to update their firmware in my area. Comcast is currently rolling out an updated version that should be complete by October, we will see.

Here is a poll that shows 35% of those that voted are having tuning issues. The poll does not distinguish between the two issues but clearly shows the Roamio is having tuning issues. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...t=Tuning+issue

Last edited by dkraft : 09-21-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:31 AM   #550
Technogod

I'm also having issues with no signal, channel not authorized messages and drop outs. When signal is there it's between 70 and 90 on the signal meter depending on the channel. I have two TiVo Premieres and can have a missing channel on one. Go to the other TiVo and tune it to the same channel and it is also missing. I called Comcast tonight but I'm beginning to think it may not be their problem.

I remember seeing a screen that was telling me it was updating my cablecard. I think these problems my have started occurring after that update.
Technogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #551
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkraft View Post
This is a known issue. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507973 TiVo has confirmed the problem and has also posted the details on the firmware needed on both the Motorola and Cisco/SA cable cards. I have Comcast and Comcast needs to update their firmware in my area. Comcast is currently rolling out an updated version that should be complete by October, we will see.

Here is a poll that shows 35% of those that voted are having tuning issues. The poll does not distinguish between the two issues but clearly shows the Roamio is having tuning issues. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...t=Tuning+issue
35% is not a majority, which is what you are claiming. Is it an issue? Sure, but don't exaggerate it by saying that 'most cable cards don't support 6 tuners' when you know that's not true.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #552
dkraft

Quote:
35% is not a majority, which is what you are claiming. Is it an issue? Sure, but don't exaggerate it by saying that 'most cable cards don't support 6 tuners' when you know that's not true.
You are correct. Bad choice of words on my part. I apologize for misleading others with my bad choice of words. I should have said "be sure to check your cable company's cable card software version. TiVo has posted compatible version information." Thank you for pointing out it was misleading, I was just to fired up about spending $399.00 to find out I had the same problem as my Premier along with not being able to use all 6 tuners. I stand corrected.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #553
celtic pride

verizon fios added a few new HD channels on sept 11,(i think) and after that i lost 4 hd channels 571,591,596, and 597,so i havent been able to get these channels on both my 2 tivo xl2 premieres! here it is sept. 24 and still missing those channels. I spent 2 and a half hours on the phone today with tivo and verizon cable card support trying to get these channels to work to no avail,so tomorrow i'm going to the verizon store to get 2 new cable cards and see if that works.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #554
Rose4uKY

I have time Warner and am in Louisville Kentucky. This just started happening to us yesterday especially his favorite channel Fox News it tells him that the channel is not available its not authorized contact your cable provider V58 and then today it was on a couple other channels. I googled the problem and it took me here but I didn't read all the post. I read so far and then just replied. But he's watching from a mini in one of the other bedroom. Do I need to reboot the Roamio or do something with the cable card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivosupport_kaitlyn View Post
Thank you to all of those who have been helping us investigate this odd and elusive issue. We are continuing to monitor this thread and collecting data from those of you who have reached out to us.

We realize how bad this experience can be and we want to do everything we can to help figure out what the problem is. If you believe you might be running into the issue described in this thread <refer to the description of the issue below> please reach out to us with a Private Message that contains your TSN and a description of your issue. We will get logging turned on and include it in our review process.

Currently, we’ve identified two separate potential issues reported on this thread and have begun investigating each issue individually. We are especially interested in hearing from the Time Warner customers in the Plano, TX area <zip code 75024>; as there seems to be a trend in this area and would like more data points to help with our investigation.

TiVo has been investigating the logs provided from those of you we’ve worked with and will be reaching out with some additional questions, suggestions and feedback.

Description of issue:
- Loss of signal to all or some channels
o Error: Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again. OR Channel not Authorized
- Resolved by rebooting or resetting your cablecard

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Thank you,
Kaitlyn
TiVo Customer Support

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #555
JPALMETTO

I'm having the same issues in SC. 3 TIVO Premieres and intermittently losing various channels. Had been working great for a year or more but recently seeing this a lot. Usually Restarting TIVO gets channels back but not last night. Very discouraged!
JPALMETTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #556
rogmatic

Just to update, I had an insane number of issues with Twc in Dallas. But since moving to Comcast in PA I have not lost signal once (in two months). I vowed to never buy another Tivo but maybe I will give the Roamio a shot now.
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #557
mpaquette

I started losing my channels on my 2 Premieres this week. Haven't previously had this issue. I'm in South Carolina using TWC. Restarts didn't fix the most recent loss of most channels. Had to pull the power cord and re-run the guided setup do get them back. Not a fan of TWC. Will be dropping them and going back to OTA once college football season is over.
mpaquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #558
moyekj

This post from TiVoMargret may finally lead to a resolution for those with Cisco TAs having tuning problems:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...37#post9857937

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #559
sldavis1952

I got the fall update, but still losing channels. My cable company is doing a slow migration(started in the spring) of analog channels to digital. I had the problem of losing channels before the migration started, but it seems to have exacerbated the problem. Anyway some channels were black with the v53 message displayed. Some channels were partially coming in on other channels with large blocks of pixilation. I did a restart and the premiere was okay. I have had the problem since I bought the premiere in Sept 2011. I think the problem is related to a change in the channel mapping and the premiere/cable card can't handle the change. I don't think Tivo will ever fix this problem.
sldavis1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #560
tomhorsley

Yep, it doesn't seem to matter what N I have in 20.3.N, everything that starts with 20.3 makes the supposed cable card firmware bug 10000 times worse than it was before 20.3. There was no change at all when I got the priority update installed. I still can't channel surf more than about 6 channels before it starts getting no signal or not authorized errors.

The fact that I can always get flawless reception when I go into the cable card "test channels" menu really makes me wonder if there is actually a cable card bug at all.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #561
jgorran

Similar Problems

I have service with Comcast in Boynton Beach, FL which is adjacent to Delray Beach, FL and TomHorsley. Things have gotten much worse within the past month. I get the black screen with no audio for 1-2 seconds, the missing channels that come and go, the missing channels when using the channel up or down button for surfing. The biggest problem is having shows that were scheduled to be recorded somehow are not recorded. This includes having two shows on same channel one after the other and only the first one is recorded and any random show not being recorded even though all of them were previously listed on the to do list.

I had Comcast out yesterday and they replaced some cables and removed a splitter. Signal strength was fine. They re-initialized everything and lo and behold we're missing channels again today but of course, they came back. I believe that doing a hard re-boot by unplugging really screws up recordings for that day as well so I avoid doing that anymore.

I guess I have the recent TIVO software update which apparently made things worse. I had been planning on buying a 6 tuner Roamio but will hold off until this matter is cleared up. Obviously this Delray Beach - Boynton Beach FL area for Comcast is not working well with the Tivo software update. HELP!
jgorran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #562
Cheezmo

Just got back from out of town for a few days and my Premiere has lost all its channels (Verizon FIOS). I'm restarting it now. I never had this problem before, and have received latest priority update. Missed quite a few recordings, not happy.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #563
jaredmwright

TiVo Elite XL here, had my first V53 error and loss of video on all recordings. Wife was not happy since she missed 30 minutes of the CMA show and our other recordings. I was trying to sell her on a Roamio, but now she is on the fence since stability is a concern. She also doesn't like having separate season passes for all of our units even though they are networked. You should be able to see all season passes and have a unified now playing list.

Hopefully TiVo is aware of this issue and I hope it doesn't happen again. A reboot fixed out issue, but we lost most of our recordings and after reboot it did not resume the recordings, it definitely was in a bad state.
DirecTV HR22 HDMI/ETHERNET & Slingbox Solo
jaredmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #564
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

You need a WMC PC with extenders to get a single SP list and avoid the V53 errors, but you'll trade one set of issues for another IMO.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #565
PBWNME

Sadly, I have a lot of experience with V53 errors. I have two Premiere units on TWC in Maine, four Premier units on FIOS in MA and two Premiere units on Comcast in Florida. In the past six years (until 20.3), I might have received one or two V53 errors total. After the 20.3 update, I have monthly V53 errors on the FIOS and TWC units and DAILY V53 errors on the Comcast units. Channel up/down or reboot clears the problem

Clearly, this is a Tivo issue and it is rather unfortunate that their Customer Service has fallen to the point that they don't seem to care at all. I have nine Tivo units and every time I call customer service, it's a bad experience. I have been a Tivo user since 2000 and it may be time to dump them for the crappy cable boxes; at least they're reliable.

Perhaps, if they ever fix this issue, they then could tackle their website latency issue and choose a different company to host their website. Recording programs is pretty well designed, but the speed is absolutely painful. Makes the Obamacare site seem efficient

Last edited by PBWNME : 11-09-2013 at 08:17 AM.
PBWNME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #566
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Crappy cable DVRs are reliable? You live in a different universe than the one Comcast inhabits here my friend. Tivo is so much better than the junk they pawn off it's not funny, even with the rare tuning issues I've seen.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #567
PBWNME

Quote:
Crappy cable DVRs are reliable? You live in a different universe than the one Comcast inhabits here my friend. Tivo is so much better than the junk they pawn off it's not funny, even with the rare tuning issues I've seen.
Can't be worse than loosing a dozen channels daily and missing all your recordings
Old 11-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #568
cydeweyz

Angry

Sent my Premiere to WeaKnees to be repaired. TiVo Support gave me every indication that it was my tuner that had died. WeaKnees said they could find no hardware problem! Spend money I didn't need to. I still get the V52 error. Thanks TiVo.
cydeweyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #569
jgorran

Nothing can be worse than the state of my TIVO service in South Florida. And it is really getting worse as I lost not only all my network HD channels yesterday, but all the regular network channels during the evening local and national news reports. I was on the phone for the better part of an hour with a rep from Tivo who had me check all the cable card and signal strength settings and we found that EVERYTHING was fine. They tried to offer me a new Tivo Premier XL in place of my current one under the assumption that perhaps the 20.3N software does not work well with older (3 years old) Premier XL boxes. I'd like to buy a Roamio but I believe they are having similar problems so it may NOT be the age of the box. This is really lousy!!!!
jgorran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #570
PBWNME

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorran View Post
Nothing can be worse than the state of my TIVO service in South Florida. And it is really getting worse as I lost not only all my network HD channels yesterday, but all the regular network channels during the evening local and national news reports. I was on the phone for the better part of an hour with a rep from Tivo who had me check all the cable card and signal strength settings and we found that EVERYTHING was fine. They tried to offer me a new Tivo Premier XL in place of my current one under the assumption that perhaps the 20.3N software does not work well with older (3 years old) Premier XL boxes. I'd like to buy a Roamio but I believe they are having similar problems so it may NOT be the age of the box. This is really lousy!!!!
It's not the age of the box, it's 20.3. My Premiere units are less than 6 mos old. Same issue affects Roamio. Comcast in South Florida seems to have the most conflicts with 20.3