TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #481
mblloyd

From the For What It's Worth Department:

I have gone through the exact signal strength readings as Skaggs. Channel 105 = 0% strength, Channel 104= 90%. My problem also ties to a loss of Internet at the same time. The DTAs are fine all the while. Since this has occurred again just now, I have not taken the time to read all the preceding comments. Sorry.

However, after talking to Comcast and TiVo, I feel I have a firm grasp on my particular situation/problem.

I get very angry when the losses of both are blamed, by Comcast, on my house wiring for cable TV. Unfortunately, they have been correct every time. Comcast and my conclusion is that my TV coax wiring seems to have an intermittent problem (maybe caused by ambient heat?).

My TiVo does not reboot nor do I reboot it (anymore). That never fixed either the Internet or cable TV loss.

I disconnect the four coax (home) runs from the Comcast provided splitter and reboot the modem. All Internet connections then work fine. If I reattach only one of my coaxes to the TiVo, all Premier signal strengths return to 90+%.

The most recent occurrence was this afternoon. I have put quick disconnects (F-type) on the coax cables so when it happens again, the bad guy run can be identified more quickly.

A bad coax, in RF terms may be like a stub. I don't know the proper term in digital cable TV/Internet language but Comcast described it as selective packet loss. Yes, this can suck Ch.5 down to 0 signal strength while Ch.4 sits at 90%. Other channel strengths are all over the map when this happens.

Disconnecting all of the other TV runs fixes it. I hope I can count on this also meaning my coax to the TiVo is OK.

If all of your other attempts have done nothing, keep this in mind. I'll not forget the next time it happens to me.

Whoops, it is back and it affects the antenna signal in the TiVo as well, all dropped to 50%. Reboot clears it to 95%!

Last edited by mblloyd : 07-20-2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Whoops, it is back and it affects the antenna signal as well, all dropped to 50%. Reboot clears it.
mblloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #482
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ue View Post
Curiously the mistuning is gone today, the TiVo has already called in twice, and is scheduled to call in a third time later today. Curious indeed.
Still solid after the third call-in today. Another is scheduled for tomorrow. I wonder if they are gathering data from people who have reported problems here, and trying fixes? Whatever they did worked.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #483
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Still solid after the third call-in today. Another is scheduled for tomorrow. I wonder if they are gathering data from people who have reported problems here, and trying fixes? Whatever they did worked.
Still rock-solid today. Has anyone else noticed a change? It is looking like they do know how to fix this!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #484
Cynthia Blue

I'm still having problems... been away from the TV for a few days... first going to try Comcast to see if they'll reauth the cable card, and resend the channel list. If that doesn't work, I'll be calling TiVo.

I did said a PM to Katelyn and gave her my info so maybe that'll help too.
Cynthia Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #485
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Still rock-solid today. Has anyone else noticed a change? It is looking like they do know how to fix this!
And now it is whacked again. Very frustrating.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #486
Cynthia Blue

I called comcast a couple of days ago, they strengthened the signal... all was well for about 2 days, but now I'm not getting the channels again.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #487
m_jonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post
Last night (Sunday), when we settled down to watch True Blood and Dexter on our 4tuner Premiere Elite TiVo, both programs recorded a blank black screen.

Upstairs in the bedroom, the 2tuner Premiere recorded both programs flawlessly.

When is TiVo going to fix this?
Probably another 6-12 months given past experiences when there's been bugs like this.

I've had it happen ONLY on my XL4 Premiers (the Tivo HD NEVER have this problem). Further, I've had it happen while watching the channel.

Meaning it was on Cartoon Network HD (18something or other) I was WATCHING the show. 8:30 came, it "tuned" to the channel (even though I was ALREADY watching it) to record Star Wars and it came up black.

I've also had it happen on NON-SDV channels.

In my case, usually the only way to get things back was:
a) reboot the Tivo
or
b) Reboot the Tuning adapter.

But again, now that I'm on Verizon FIOS, no SDV, no Tuning Adapter, but now I get the lovely "channel not authorized" v58 error about 5-10x/day on random channels now.

I'm gonna call and cancel Tivo service tomorrow (i'm not going to pay to be a beta tester for Tivo and have unreliable service), unless they credit me until they get this fixed.
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #488
Cynthia Blue

I don't have a tuning adapter....

my channels came back up for a half hour tonight, then when down again. Called comcast again... but the problem is probably not on their end, so I put in a ticket with Tivo.

I'm still on the 2 year contract, we only started our Tivo service last October.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #489
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jonis View Post
Meaning it was on Cartoon Network HD (18something or other) I was WATCHING the show. 8:30 came, it "tuned" to the channel (even though I was ALREADY watching it) to record Star Wars and it came up black.
That's one of the more common failure modes I see. Everything is working perfectly till the instant the recording is supposed to start, then the channel goes black. There is no way this is a Comcast problem (other than being related to the cable card firmware folks claim needs an update - but the same cable card had vastly fewer problems before 20.3 showed up).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #490
Cynthia Blue

Well I did a email service request with Tivo, and they are telling me it's Comcast and the cable card....

My channels are intermittent.. sometimes on, sometimes off. Comcast is going to send someone out to check if they can see anything going on. I'm not optimistic.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #491
tomhorsley

Yea, they told me it was signal level. Right. Signal level that just happens to go to zero right when a recording starts. Signal level that disappears for the TiVo, but is perfectly normal on my TV tuned to the same QAM channel. Signal level problems that only started when I got a 20.3 update. Not really interested in wasting my time on the email interaction any more at this point.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #492
nejman

"Call Charter"

I just registered and wanted to give my 2 cents.

Cable Provider: Charter

Issue:
Several of my channels are saying "Not Authorized Contact Cable Provider" since Tivo version 2.3.x update.

Actions Taken:
I've called Charter and had both my CableCard (Scientific Atlanta) and my Tuning Adapter (Cisco) replaced. Please note everything was working perfectly fine before this update and changing the Tuning Adapter or the CableCard didn't resolve any of my issues.

I've spoken to at least 4 reps from TiVo by this point, their reasons for my TiVo not showing my channels have ranged from:
- Your Signal Strength isn't high enough (my signal strength has always been around the same mark, even before this whole "update")
- Call Charter, your CableCard is defective (called charter and got it replaced... guess what they said... Call Charter and get another one, this one is defective as well)
- Call Charter, your CableCard needs to get authorized (3 way call to charter... they send the signal and nothing, restart TiVo... nothing...)
- Call Charter your Tuning Adapter is probably interfering with the signal Charter is sending out. Removed tuning adapter and asked for signal to be sent out and nothing.

I really just want to hear this from TiVo, "hey looks like we're getting a lot of these issues and we're working on the solution" rather than "Call Charter" or "I've never heard of this issue".

Regards,
An unhappy TiVo Customer
nejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #493
Cynthia Blue

Comcast came to our house on Sunday, and while he said he couldn't find anything wrong (the channels were actually view-able when he showed up), he did replace the CableCard. I'd been having on-again off-again reception for a couple of days.

As of Monday night, I hadn't lost reception at all since the CableCard was replaced... my fingers are crossed, though, not sure if they will stay.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #494
cptlapcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nejman View Post
I just registered and wanted to give my 2 cents.

Cable Provider: Charter

Issue:
Several of my channels are saying "Not Authorized Contact Cable Provider" since Tivo version 2.3.x update.

Actions Taken:
I've called Charter and had both my CableCard (Scientific Atlanta) and my Tuning Adapter (Cisco) replaced. Please note everything was working perfectly fine before this update and changing the Tuning Adapter or the CableCard didn't resolve any of my issues.

I've spoken to at least 4 reps from TiVo by this point, their reasons for my TiVo not showing my channels have ranged from:
- Your Signal Strength isn't high enough (my signal strength has always been around the same mark, even before this whole "update")
- Call Charter, your CableCard is defective (called charter and got it replaced... guess what they said... Call Charter and get another one, this one is defective as well)
- Call Charter, your CableCard needs to get authorized (3 way call to charter... they send the signal and nothing, restart TiVo... nothing...)
- Call Charter your Tuning Adapter is probably interfering with the signal Charter is sending out. Removed tuning adapter and asked for signal to be sent out and nothing.

I really just want to hear this from TiVo, "hey looks like we're getting a lot of these issues and we're working on the solution" rather than "Call Charter" or "I've never heard of this issue".

Regards,
An unhappy TiVo Customer
I feel your pain as a Charter customer. I have been having this problem on and off for the past year to the point that I was ready to dump Charter last week for Direct TV so I could get a consistent signal. I don't know if it is Charter or Tivo's fault but I was ready to give up my $1000 Tivo Premiere Elite and Tivo Mini. Last week Charter sent a supervisor that was knowledgeable about Tivo(again), replaced my tuning adapter (again), replaced my cable card (again) and said the signal was perfect. Lo and behold all of my channels are now working (sometimes I have to rock the up and down button to tune when I first turn on the TV).

What is the communities opinion? Is this problem the result of the cable companies (tuning adapter, cable card etc.) or Tivo.

I now have a perfect HD picture and all of my channels but I am not holding my breath.

I guess my real question is this. Has anyone resolved the issue by contacting Tivo?
cptlapcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #495
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptlapcat View Post
What is the communities opinion? Is this problem the result of the cable companies (tuning adapter, cable card etc.) or Tivo.
I'm not a "community", but it is hard to believe the flood of reports of this that all started coming in following the 20.3 update aren't primarily TiVo's fault. I do, in fact, have one of the scientific atlanta cable cards with (according to reports) a known bug in the firmware, but whatever TiVo did in 20.3 is triggering this bug infinitely more frequently.

Comcast is supposed to be upgrading all their infrastructure (which would include cable card firmware updates), maybe if that happens in the next few months the problems will go away.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #496
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Re: All channels working now.

Wait a few days. After the resets, forced whatevers, it all seems to work for 2-3 days, then 'times out' or whatever again.

Read alot of people saying all fixed, then bam, it does it again
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #497
sharkster

I haven't had a channel issue for MANY weeks now - probably a couple-three months. But something different and weird happened in the middle of the night, when I couldn't sleep. Around 3am I turned the TV back on in my bdrm and it looked fine, but I went to change it to see if there was something to watch to go back to sleep it went bad and even when I tried going back to that initial channel. From then it was all black screens on both tuners with a V52 error. This one was new to me.

I restarted the Tivo and it was still the same so I just went in to one of my recordings. Later on, I started changing channels and found at that point that some of them worked (of course, none that I wanted to watch - one had honey boo boo and I thought maybe I was actually asleep having a nightmare that I'd be stuck there forever, but I digress...).

Went back to my recordings and decided, after completing another couple of shows, that I would try restarting the TA. But when I went back to live tv everything was normal again.

Oh - Charter here too, FWIW

I hope this problem doesn't start up again. A few months ago I was having a frequent problem with channels not tuning and it was a nightmare - almost as bad as being stuck on the boo boo show.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #498
sharkster

Thumbs down

Furthermore, on the outside chance that anybody at Tivo is listening -

I have to say that subsequent to my post this morning I had my bdrm tv tuning fine again after the middle of the night thing. Then when I got up I checked my living room one (Both have Premieres) and it was fine at that point.

But I also discovered that something that recorded during the time in the middle of the night, on the LIVING RM Tivo, when I discovered my bdrm Tivo not tuning properly, was cut off before it finished. So both screwed up at the same time.

I have restarted Tivos and restarted TAs. I wish I knew more because I have a pretty good feeling that a call to Tivo or to Charter would just make me more frustrated with no resolution.

So, that tells me that both Tivos stopped tuning properly at the same time and now, early afternoon where I am, on both TVs, a whole bunch of channels aren't tuning many of the channels. Not all - it's random but probably a little more not working than are. But it's on both at the same time again. Some of the movie channels work and some don't. Same goes for the various (I get just about everything) HD channels in the 700 and 800 number realm. Of course, many of the ones I watch are problematic and most of the ones I couldn't care less about are fine.

That also tells me that it is not my TA or CC because why would both go down at the same times - multiples times? It tells me that it's something on Tivo's end.

I got really damn tired of this for several months early this year and it had gone away. Now it's back. This is total BS.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #499
JandS

We had a single late night session of channel not found / V52 errors about a month ago on our XL2 (connected by MoCa to the downstairs XL4 + internet), affecting many channels. Settings > Network information showed that it was downloading an update, which eventually went on for hours.

The downstairs XL4 didn't have any problem at the same exact time nor with the same V52-ized channels.

After about 8 hours I unplugged the XL2's MoCa electric plug and coax, left it off for about 20 min. Did not reboot the Tivo. The channels were fine after that point and we haven't had any repeat V52 errors or missing channels.

Next time we have anything similar I'll pull the MoCa connections sooner, as it seemed like the update was somehow "stuck" and thereby causing the channel error msgs.

Comcast, no tuning adaptor.
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #500
nejman

I'm receiving analog channels but no digital channels.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #501
sharkster

This is generally so random for me. The missing/non-tuning channels are always so hit and miss. After those episodes the other day it's been fine. I hope it stays that way.

I'm at my wit's end with this, after all those months of problems a while back. I doubt that it's the cable because other, non-Tivo, TVs don't have the problem. I doubt that it's the equipment because I cannot see BOTH tuning adapters and/or CABLECards going fubar at the same time.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #502
nejman

My TiVo is no longer saying this channel is unauthorized, contact your cable company. 2nd guy from Charter came by and fixed it.

Turns out for some reason Charter had updated my account and removed the CableCard from the account. Tech added it back on the account.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #503
tomhorsley

Here's a new one: Playing around with the TiVo today, I see it claim there is no signal. I navigate to cable card diagnostics "test channel" menu item. The picture comes in perfectly fine on the channel that has no signal. I hit clear to get out of test mode, go back to live TV, and I'm back to no signal again. If there was ever any need to suspect this might not be a TiVo software problem, I think I've completely eliminated that possibility now.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #504
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Here's a new one: Playing around with the TiVo today, I see it claim there is no signal. I navigate to cable card diagnostics "test channel" menu item. The picture comes in perfectly fine on the channel that has no signal. I hit clear to get out of test mode, go back to live TV, and I'm back to no signal again. If there was ever any need to suspect this might not be a TiVo software problem, I think I've completely eliminated that possibility now.
Could be the "test channel" page was using a different tuner than the live TV foreground tuner.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #505
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Could be the "test channel" page was using a different tuner than the live TV foreground tuner.
I don't think so, I use the Live TV button to switch tuners and change channels to attempt to get both tuners involved, and they both tell me no signal (on pretty much every channel at the moment - it has good days and bad days), but the cable card test comes in fine every time.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #506
moyekj

Quote:
I don't think so, I use the Live TV button to switch tuners and change channels to attempt to get both tuners involved, and they both tell me no signal (on pretty much every channel at the moment - it has good days and bad days), but the cable card test comes in fine every time.
OK, just wondering, because TiVo doesn't normally let you manually tune more than 1 tuner to same channel (even though it boots up that way). So you have to actually change foreground tuner to a different channel, switch to other tuner and then tune to the original foreground tuner channel to have it swap tuners. i.e. Say on a 2 tuner unit foreground is 1002 and other tuner is 1004, if you swap tuners and then punch in 1002 TiVo will just take you back to other tuner. So in this example starting on foreground tuner on channel 1002 you would have to punch in a different channel than both tuners (say 1005), then swap tuners, then punch in 1002. I haven't actually tested the behavior recently but that's my recollection of how it behaves.
To be really sure you have to look at Diagnostics page and keep track of which tuner id is with which channel and then check that page again once you think you've swapped the channel to other tuner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #507
tomhorsley

Quote:
OK, just wondering, because TiVo doesn't normally let you manually tune more than 1 tuner to same channel (even though it boots up that way). So you have to actually change foreground tuner to a different channel, switch to other tuner and then tune to the original foreground tuner channel to have it swap tuners.
That's what I do, and it keeps saying no signal (or did yesterday), but every time I go back to the cable card diagnostics, the picture comes in fine.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #508
moyekj

Quote:
That's what I do, and it keeps saying no signal (or did yesterday), but every time I go back to the cable card diagnostics, the picture comes in fine.
That is very strange/interesting and sounds like a good piece of information for TiVo to know.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #509
tomhorsley

Quote:
That is very strange/interesting and sounds like a good piece of information for TiVo to know.
Yea, I added a note to the ticket I submitted (not that I actually believe it will do any good considering the rote script-like nature of the initial response I got in the ticket).
Old 07-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #510
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

After months of no serious issues after the update (just the known minor ones posted in the OP), I sit down to watch the news yesterday and get greeted with the V53 error - Problem tuning channel. On everything. News program recordings are fried, won't play with black screen stuck at 0 mins. and then errors out. Pulling/reinserting card does not fix but a reboot does. Interestingly after the reboot, one of the recordings disappears from the NPL but the other one is still there (and still won't play so I delete it).

Definitely a Tivo issue for me, my WMC HTPC with SD Prime tuner and Cablecard on another outlet had no issue recording the same programs at same time, and the signal levels are not as good on that drop.

First time I've seen this particular error since I've had the Elite, over a year ago. I've seen the occasional error tuning a particular channel but it always corrects itself without a reboot, this time the box was completely hosed tuning-wise. Hope it's just a rare event, I'm on Comcast with no TAs.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote