TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #301
MeInDallas

I think the only difference with the XL4 and the Premiere 4 is the hard drive and the XL4 has that THX thing on it. I've always wondered is the THX certification is what's causing the whole problem. If there is some diffence in the software on that model that has THX on it that is causing the issue.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #302
rgjutro

I'm happy yet sad to see this link. I was going crazy trying to fix this issue, so I was thrilled to see a nice long post talking about it. I'm sad to see that it's such a longstanding issue, that doesn't seem to have any end in sight. What was odd was I didn't have any of these issues on my XL4 for the first few months after I bought it, and than over night all of these issues sprang up.

TWC
Cisco TA and Cablecard
rgjutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #303
MeInDallas

Well read this one too: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...elite+user+log

Thats where it all began for me.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #304
rgjutro

That's insane. You've been dealing with this for over a year, and they're still not any closer to resolving this.
rgjutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #305
sldavis1952

I added the following to my Tivo support ticket.
All the channels went out again on 2/17/2013.
The encrypted HD channels were displaying Channel not authorized with a black display and no audio. Other channels were pixelating very badly and audio cutting in and

out. These channels finally only showed a black display.

I did the following at:
(a) 7-7-7-CLEAR to mark the logs at 2:57 PM CST
(b) Remove the CableCARD
(c) 7-7-7-CLEAR to mark the logs at 2:58 PM CST
(d) Reinsert the CableCARD
(e) 7-7-7-CLEAR to mark the logs at 2:59 PM CST
(f) Send the date/time info to TiVo

After putting the cablecard back in all the channels could be tuned.

Last edited by sldavis1952 : 02-17-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: change singular to plural
sldavis1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #306
sldavis1952

I haven't heard from Tivo support on the prior incident on 2/17/2013.
I added the following to my Tivo support ticket on 2/20/2013.
All channels were lost again. Black background on all channels. Tivo
either displayed Problem with the signal... or Channel not authorized.

I did the following at:
(a) 7-7-7-CLEAR to mark the logs at 7:23 AM CST
(b) Remove the CableCARD
(c) 7-7-7-CLEAR to mark the logs at 7:23 AM CST
(d) Reinsert the CableCARD
(e) 7-7-7-CLEAR to mark the logs at 7:24 AM CST
(f) Send the date/time info to TiVo on my support ticket.

After putting the cablecard back in all the channels could be tuned.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #307
rogmatic

After months of frustration, I had twc come out and they removed some splitters in the walls and since then I have not lost signal. Actually starting to gain confidence that it could be fixed.
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #308
colin1497

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
Just another data point. When all four tuners are black, I cannot even tune the channels I know are clear QAM, the locals.

These channels do not depend on the cablecard for decryption, but instead depend on the tuning adapter merely to have the channel map, right? But reseating the cablecard nearly always restores tuner functionality.

So is the problem a combination of cablecard and tuning adapter? This is a question to be answered by the developers.

To the end consumer, it doesn't really matter--the problem we see is that the Premiere line has some fatal defect with its tuners and doesn't reliably operate in a cablecard/tuning adapter environment.

I see no evidence that Tivo as a company is even concerned.
Dave:

Where are you in Dallas? Lake Highlands here. Lost all 4 tuners on Friday 2/22. Curious if you also lost yours...
colin1497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #309
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1497 View Post
Where are you in Dallas? Lake Highlands here. Lost all 4 tuners on Friday 2/22. Curious if you also lost yours...
I'm in Richardson, 75082. My XL4 hasn't experienced a total tuner loss since 2/4. I'm definitely operating on borrowed time--I'm due for a failure!
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #310
colin1497

Quote:
I'm in Richardson, 75082. My XL4 hasn't experienced a total tuner loss since 2/4. I'm definitely operating on borrowed time--I'm due for a failure!
Interesting. Well, we have basically the same service, and any lineup changes, etc. that others have referenced would be common...

Edit: and yes, I see Richardson in your profile. I guess I should read.
colin1497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #311
rogmatic

FYI, I am in Lakewood in Dallas. Have had constant issues until recently.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #312
DaveDFW

Is it possible Tivo rolled out a quiet fix for this? I've been enjoying an unusually long period with no failures.

Or is it just that my cable provider has failed to send the magic signal that Tivo can't handle?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #313
mrsean

Quote:
Is it possible Tivo rolled out a quiet fix for this? I've been enjoying an unusually long period with no failures.

Or is it just that my cable provider has failed to send the magic signal that Tivo can't handle?
There's no fix yet. I just experienced this Sunday night. I had to re-record The Walking Dead and torrent The Amazing Race. I have emailed Tivo support twice already. They want me to contact them when the problem occurs but all my shows are scheduled to record after 8pm EST and I usually don't start watch until after 10.

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #314
ghostrider45
Ghostrider45

My XL4 lost all channels and failed to record last night. It's been months since the last occurrence.

This is getting old. Tivo should pay for the Series 3 that I have to keep on line as a shadow for important recordings and can't decommission.
ghostrider45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #315
sldavis1952

Lost all channels last night again about 9 PM CST. We were watching a recorded
show and it started showing some blocky pixelation. Not bad, but enough to be
annoying. The Premiere was recording a suggestion at the time. I went to live
TV, stopped the recording, pulled the cablecard, put it back in and the channels
started tuning again. Went back to the recorded show and no pixelation.
Didn't do the timestamp stuff.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #316
m_jonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm1911 View Post
Like I said in my previous post, I have an XL4 with this same issue. I forgot to mention I called Tivo support and was told it is the TA. In DVR Diagnostics I noticed it said "not tuned wrong ta state", so I can see why they said that.

I also just found a few missed recordings in History that was missed due to "No Signal". It was a show my wife watches every day, so not good! Thankfully my DirecTV reciever is still up and running and not disconnected yet...
Question:

If it was the tuning adapter, then:

a) Shouldn't non-SDV channels be fine? (since they don't require a TA in the first place)?
and/or
b) splitting the cable so that the cable line goes directly to the Tivo and one goes to the TA (granted that would only resolve non-SDV channels) also provide similar benefits?

vs:

ALL channels (including non-SDV, "clear-QAM") being affected?
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #317
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jonis View Post
Question:

If it was the tuning adapter, then:

a) Shouldn't non-SDV channels be fine? (since they don't require a TA in the first place)?
and/or
b) splitting the cable so that the cable line goes directly to the Tivo and one goes to the TA (granted that would only resolve non-SDV channels) also provide similar benefits?

vs:

ALL channels (including non-SDV, "clear-QAM") being affected?
Conceivably they could blame the TA as culprit for all channels not tuning. Because with TA installed the frequency to channel mappings come from the TA rather than the cablecard, so technically if TA gets the wrong mappings then it can screw up every channel, including non-SDV channels and even unencrypted channels (like the main network channels). However as has been mentioned many times, there are plenty of people with this problem without TAs, so while there's a chance TAs may be the cause of some people's problems, it's not a catch all response.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #318
MeInDallas

When I was going thru this with my Elites/XL4's I set up mine without the tuning adapter, and went in and unchecked all the channels that were on SDV and used only the cable card to get the local non-SDV channels to see if the culprit was the tuning adapter. Alas the problem continued onward, so that blew that theory out of the water.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #319
DaveDFW

Doesn't the "Failed to load 'CableCARD///ps/ps'" message always occur during episodes of tuning failure? The next time someone has the failure, can you check the cablecard troubleshooting menus and see if the above message is displayed?

I'm fairly certain that the tuning adapter is not the culprit for this particular failure. The recovery mode for the tuning failure is always either reseating the cablecard or rebooting the Tivo. It is never necessary to reboot the tuning adapter.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #320
MeInDallas

I used to see that message also, everytime. Tivo would say that Time Warner needed to update the firmware for the cable card, then I found out we were using the latest firmware on them already. Usually TWC is good about updating the firmware as needed. I know Ceton had asked them to upgrade the tuning adapters firmware so that 6 channels could be tuned in anticipation of their 6 tuner card being released, and sure enough the end of last year we got the firmware upgrade here in Dallas on the tuning adapters.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #321
jbiggs19

Has anyone had problems with losing ABC? Not getting "signal lost" on that channel but an authorization error. Very strange and happened to other Tivo users I know. Same exact channel and error message, totally unrelated account wise etc.
jbiggs19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #322
Dago Red

Another data point:

Lost all channels this morning on my 2-tuner Premiere. I was not able to play back any recorded shows, nor watch live TV. Only a reboot brought everything back to normal.

This is the fourth time this has happened in the past 8 months. I've sent PM's each time, but haven't heard anything back from Tivo.

I'm on Verizon FiOS, no tuning adapter, and no channel updates.

At least I was home this time so as not to miss any recordings.
Dago Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #323
chrispitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggs19 View Post
Has anyone had problems with losing ABC? Not getting "signal lost" on that channel but an authorization error. Very strange and happened to other Tivo users I know. Same exact channel and error message, totally unrelated account wise etc.
I've had random "You are not authorized..." messages from time to time. I'm using a 2-tuner Premiere with RCN (no TA).
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #324
sldavis1952

Not with ABC. I usually get it with CNBC and MSNBC early in the morning a couple of times a week. Also when I lose all channels I get the message with the HD Channels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggs19 View Post

Old 03-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #325
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Conceivably they could blame the TA as culprit for all channels not tuning. Because with TA installed the frequency to channel mappings come from the TA rather than the cablecard, so technically if TA gets the wrong mappings then it can screw up every channel, including non-SDV channels and even unencrypted channels (like the main network channels). However as has been mentioned many times, there are plenty of people with this problem without TAs, so while there's a chance TAs may be the cause of some people's problems, it's not a catch all response.
I do not have these issues yet but I have a thought. While this issue is happening (for those that it happens while watching live) call the cable tech support and ask them to send a "hit" to the CableCARD and see if the issue resolves.

Last edited by jmbach : 03-07-2013 at 09:20 AM.
jmbach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #326
rogmatic

I think the tuners are just ultra, ultra sensitive; you have to have an extremely pure signal for the series 4 to work.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #327
BladeZ

It's happening over and over for me tonight, cablecard reset and tivo reboot not helping. I found out that my wife was streaming a show to another premier but we do that so often i'm not sure it's the cause.
BladeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #328
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeZ View Post
It's happening over and over for me tonight, cablecard reset and tivo reboot not helping. I found out that my wife was streaming a show to another premier but we do that so often i'm not sure it's the cause.

Did you try to reboot by pulling the power?
My last failure did not work with card reseat, or soft reboot,
but needed to pull the power from the wall to get the unit to
function properly.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #329
Teeps

My XL4 had the tuning problem and micro blocking last week. Shortly after moving it to a permanent location.
Tuning problem affected channels in the upper 400 range of Time Warner in Torrance,CA; micro blocking affected network channels in lower 400 range.
(noticed ch strength on blocking channels was below 75, good channels were above 80, non tuning ch zero; go figure)
Replacing the RG6 cable that feeds the XL4 has fixed the problem.
Now all channels report above 80 on the TiVo ch strength meter.
Note: the cable, I replaced, was indoors and both ends were terminated by a Time Warner installer, on site, about 12 years ago.

Never assume the cabling or connections are good without substituting a known good cable.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #330
XIBM

Quote:
Doesn't the "Failed to load 'CableCARD///ps/ps'" message always occur during episodes of tuning failure? The next time someone has the failure, can you check the cablecard troubleshooting menus and see if the above message is displayed?

I get a failure like you describe for all cable card menu screens. I am in Gainesville GA on Charter Cable with Motorola TA and CC. My XL4 that I received in 1/5/2013 looses contact with the cable card about once a week. I often play a music channel for several hours and it just quits and all tuners are black or not authorized usually on different channels and recordings in progress are partical. My signal typically is 85-92 with snr 34-36. The CC has a snr of more 38-40. CC firmware 613. Software reset usually brings everythin back. I have unplugged CC to fix a few times but read it was not good so now only do software reset.
XIBM is offline   Reply With Quote