TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Trailkill

Season Pass thinks shows in 1989 are new!

Hey guys I have a Season pass setup for new only shows of Cops on Spike channel but it keep recording shows in 1989 as new shows. Is this a bug for Tivo to fix or is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks
TK
Trailkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

If there is insufficient episode info (for example, the program description is a general description of the series rather than of a particular episode) the TiVo will record the show even if the season pass is set to new episodes only. This is because the TiVo errs on the side of recording an episode if it really doesn't know if it is old or new.

When the program description is generic like this the year in the description is the year the series first aired, not necessarily when that episode first aired.

There might also be some behavior regarding shows in cable syndication - if the show was on the air in 1989 I doubt that Spike is showing any new episodes of it.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
Jonathan_S

As pdhenry alluded to, there are a few hidden fields of guide data TiVo uses and if some of them are missing, what we call "generic guide data", it plays it safe and treats it as first run.

News programs are big offenders for this. They'll just have generic text about "news" and a date of the first time they ever aired. But the rest of the guide data is omitted (specifically, IIRC, the IsEpsidode=true flag and EpisodeID value)

The Daily Show used to be another big offender. Their new episode had proper data, but their late night reruns didn't.

If you've got a recurring problem you might see is some variation of the 'Tupper Method' http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...71#post5682671 , a trick for using wishlists to avoid recording bad guide data repeats of The Daily Show, would work for you
Old 05-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
As pdhenry alluded to, there are a few hidden fields of guide data TiVo uses and if some of them are missing, what we call "generic guide data", it plays it safe and treats it as first run.

News programs are big offenders for this. They'll just have generic text about "news" and a date of the first time they ever aired. But the rest of the guide data is omitted (specifically, IIRC, the IsEpsidode=true flag and EpisodeID value)

The Daily Show used to be another big offender. Their new episode had proper data, but their late night reruns didn't.

If you've got a recurring problem you might see is some variation of the 'Tupper Method' http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...71#post5682671 , a trick for using wishlists to avoid recording bad guide data repeats of The Daily Show, would work for you
With 20.4.1 my guide is still ok with The Daily Show but the To Do List is worse, showing every episode every day. It's no big deal since I check it on Sunday and delete the extra (non-11pm) programs. It's like the Canadian and England programs. I use Zap2It for accuracy since their TMS data seems to be pretty good for some reason. Yes, news programs are bad, but when something is bad for years, shouldn't it eventually get fixed?
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #5
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

When I used to TiVo TDS (no longer get Comedy Central so I watch it on Hulu instead) I just did four recurring manual programs (one each for Mon-Thurs) in the 11:00-11:30 time slot. You just have to delete the recordings when TDS goes on its periodic hiatus because it records whatever runs.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #6
tomhorsley

Even when there is guide data, the reliability is low :-(. I've been poking around in the info I can extract in XML format from the web interface, and just as one example noticed that the guide data for the copy of "Brave" it recorded not too long ago says the movie year is "1985" (but it was made in 2012 :-). I've also seen mixups of the original airdate info for TV series.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote