TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
jeff92k7

Tivo, pyTivo, or KMTTG issue? (episode titles)

Ok.

I have recently put a lot of effort into using pyTivo and KMTTG and really like what all they do. However, there is one thing that bugs me. When browsing the pyTivo shares from my Tivo, I see all my shows, but they all appear in the list as "episode title" instead of "series title: episode title". As you can imagine, this is quite frustrating when I see a list of 5 shows all named "Pilot"

I'm not sure where the problem lies, or if this is all by design...

To explain in greater detail:
I have kmttg set up to auto transfer many tv series. It is set to automatically convert them to MPEG 2 and create the metadata files. This part works well. The outputs go into the correct folder which is a subfolder of my pyTivo root share.... "g:\tivo" is my root folder and contains multiple subfolders for movies, family videos, tv shows, etc. "g:\tivo\tv archive\" is the output folder for the MPEG 2 files and the metadata files.

When browsing the tv archive folder from the tivo, I see the MPEG 2 files, but they all show in the list as "episode name". If I select one (click into it), I see the proper metadata including series title, episode title, show descritption, and so on.

How do I get pyTivo to show the entire list as "series title: episode title" as normal .tivo files do or at least something similar?

On the computer, the files are correctly named... "series - episode (date).MPG" and "series - episode (date).MPG.txt"

Alternately, is there a way in kmttg to have it output the files into another subfolder that corresponds to the series name. i.e. put episodes of Lost into g:\tivo\tv archive\Lost\" and episodes of Two and a Half Men into "g:\tivo\tv archive\Two and a Half Men\"? That would at least help to determine which shows are which when all I see is the episode name in the list.

Thanks,
Jeff
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
I have recently put a lot of effort into using pyTivo and KMTTG and really like what all they do. However, there is one thing that bugs me. When browsing the pyTivo shares from my Tivo, I see all my shows, but they all appear in the list as "episode title" instead of "series title: episode title". As you can imagine, this is quite frustrating when I see a list of 5 shows all named "Pilot"
Play with the title, seriesTitle, episodeTitle, isEpisode, and isEpisodic metafields in the metafile. You should be able to get the listings to suit your taste. I also recommend vidmgr. It is even more flexible still.

Quote:
On the computer, the files are correctly named... "series - episode (date).MPG" and "series - episode (date).MPG.txt"
If you have a metafile, then the filename's only relevance is for sorting.

Quote:
Alternately, is there a way in kmttg to have it output the files into another subfolder that corresponds to the series name.
Sure. You can write a simple script that does this and have kmttg call it, or else run the script periodically outside of kmttg.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
Soapm

Why not turn on the folders? This way each pilot will be in the series folder...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Play with the title, seriesTitle, episodeTitle, isEpisode, and isEpisodic metafields in the metafile. You should be able to get the listings to suit your taste.
Yeah, I went through the metafiles and it correctly lists the information in all those fields. When I click into a show in the pyTivo share, it lists all the information in the correct places on screen. It's only the folder content list that is showing the wrong info. Not sure why it's pulling from "episodetitle" instead of "seriestitle", "seriestitle - episodetitle" or even just showing the MPEG 2 file name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I also recommend vidmgr. It is even more flexible still.
Yeah, I use vidmgr when pushing HD MP4 files to my tivo to avoid transcoding in pyTivo, but the logic of going to "showcases and extras" to browse for content seems to be beyond the reach of my other half. For that matter, I also think it's a waste of clicks to go all the way to vidmgr just to view the content that is available in the pyTivo link inside 'my shows'. We mostly pull DVD rips or tv content (previously from tivo) that are all in MPEG2 format, so the pyTivo link is just much easier and simpler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm
Why not turn on the folders? This way each pilot will be in the series folder...
I'm not sure I follow. I have created subfolders for each series. The folders do appear correctly, and if I manually copy the shows to their respective folder, then I can browse them all just fine and the episode title showing would be less of a concern.

What do you mean by "turn on" the folders?

I may try writing a simple .bat script to copy shows to their respective folders, but having to maintain a script each time I add or delete an auto-transfer seems to be going counter to what I want - more automation to the overall process. It takes less than a minute to add/edit an auto transfer in kmttg. Would take quite a bit longer to add to or edit a script with all the correct folder paths, wildcards, file names, etc. Thus, if kmttg had a way to already do this, that would be great.

Jeff
Old 10-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
moyekj

In kmttg config "File Naming" if you add the following in front of whatever you are using kmttg will create an additional folder which will group each series into separate folders:
Code:
[mainTitle][/]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
In kmttg config "File Naming" if you add the following in front of whatever you are using kmttg will create an additional folder which will group each series into separate folders:
Code:
[mainTitle][/]
Really? That's awesome...I'll have to try that out today.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
jeff92k7

Tried it, didn't work. kmttg kept saying "error. Do you want to save these settings anyway?" and would highlight that field in red. I tried putting it before the file path as you said, tried putting it after, tried substituting [\] instead of [/], tried without the brackets...none of it worked.

Jeff
Old 10-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
moyekj

It does work - I developed it by request and tried it before posting here. Post the full setting that you are trying here and note that it is case sensitive and don't use back slash. For example, this is setting I tried before posting here that works:
Code:
[mainTitle][/][title] ([monthNum]_[mday]_[year])
Normally setting I use is (non-subfolder mode):
Code:
[title] ([monthNum]_[mday]_[year])

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
jeff92k7

OK, I see..I was trying in the ".MPG output DIR" path field and not the file naming field. I misread your post earlier. Tried it in the correct field and it works. You Da Man!!

Thanks,
Jeff