TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #1
bradin9855

Unplugged series 3 now is dead

I unplugged my series 3 with a lifetime subscription plugged it back in and it's dead. I've tried three different outlets in the house. It's the Tivo! Now what? I'm really bummed.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

bradin9855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradin9855 View Post
I unplugged my series 3 with a lifetime subscription plugged it back in and it's dead. I've tried three different outlets in the house. It's the Tivo! Now what? I'm really bummed.

Dead how? Probably just needs a new power supply (or the caps within).
If the caps were leaking before they could have continued to leak and/or dry out even without use , especially if it was being stored in a warm place.

pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
bradin9855

We used it daily until doa today. What are caps?

bradin9855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:03 PM   #4
pmiranda

The capacitors in the power supply hold the magic smoke that makes the pictures come out. If they lose their mojo they have to be replaced. Weaknees will sell you a new one and the screwdrivers to swap it out.

pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-27-2015, 04:38 AM   #5
Chris Gerhard

I agree it is most likely the power supply. I am not sure which Series 3 model you have, TCD648250B or TCD652160 or TCD658000 but used boxes without service are cheap for parts machines. The problem is you apparently don't already have one and finding one quickly might not be easy where you live but before I would buy a new power supply, I would sure check Craigslist.

Replacing the caps is a great solution if you are up to the task since using a power supply from an old parts machine might result in another power supply failure anyway although I already have a couple of $20 parts machines for mine and that would be my choice if it happens to me.

Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

To get better help here, post your model number and indicate how much electronic DIY capability you have. (Your not knowing what "cap" means is suggestive.) If you're not comfortable opening the box and replacing a power supply board, or hard drive, or measuring voltages with power on, or (most advanced) removing caps and soldering in new ones, you should consider the current TiVo.com promotion of a refurbished Roamio base model and lifetime service for a total of $300:

https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/supersavings

For discussion of this see this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507790

I recently upgraded from a TiVo HD (model 652160) using this promotion deal and, although I liked the HD for the 6 years I used it, I really love the Roamio (so far). The refurbs have the same warranty as new ones.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #7
timhbtr53
Grumpy Old Man

If you not afried of working

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradin9855 View Post

____________________________________________________________ _

Around live 120vac and have a multi meter you can check a few things for me. First off unplug everything open the unit up "take the top off" where you plug the power cord in on the power supply there is a fuse in black heat shrink "first off take the power cord out of the room you working in" put your meter on ohm and put a lead on one side and the other on the other side you should have a reading off 0.0X if not it blow the fuse. If it's good go get the power cord and be extra safe plug it in and listen to see if you hear a clicking on the power supply. If no clicking check from one of the ground tabs black lead on one of them red lead on the red wire from the power supply to the mother board see if you have 12vdc if so check the yellow see if you have 5vdc. Wait I jumped a step look at the caps on the supply do any have a weird look on the top they look like little round tin cans with blue or black labels on them. If any are domed or have a leaking stuff from the bottom you need to replace them. It's a easy job if you know how to solder if not PM me and I can help you out. This is what cap looks like but it may be a dark blue or black see attach picture.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg electrolytic-capacitor.jpg (24.1 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by timhbtr53; Yesterday at 09:18 PM.
timhbtr53 is offline   Reply With Quote