TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-27-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
amybang

What happened to my 30-second skip?!

I've long done the remote hack of changing the "jump to end" button to a "30-second skip" button. Only today I discovered that it suddenly stopped working! No amount of trying to reprogram it will re-instate it.

I'm guessing that there must have been an update sent out last night or today. Did this happen to anyone else? Any idea what we can do about it?

thanks!

amybang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #2
worachj

S3’s seem to be a little bit flaky to get it to take. The only way I can get mind to work is by doing the following. While playing a recording hit the “Infor” button and scroll down to the CC section. While on the CC, perform the 30 second skip sequence. Select - Play - Select - 3 - 0 - Select

Old 05-27-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
I've long done the remote hack of changing the "jump to end" button to a "30-second skip" button. Only today I discovered that it suddenly stopped working! No amount of trying to reprogram it will re-instate it.

I'm guessing that there must have been an update sent out last night or today. Did this happen to anyone else? Any idea what we can do about it?

thanks!
I can't remember for certain about restarts where the TiVo is not unplugged (called warm boots, which the TiVo sometimes does on its own) but with a cold boot, where the electricity coming into the TiVo is interrupted for whatever reason, the 30 sec skip does not survive and has to be enabled all over again.

So a momentary power outage in the middle of the night that you didn't even know about could have caused it.

It helps to have the TiVo "sound effects" turned on when you go to enter any of the S-P-S codes--the 2 dings at the end indicate that you were successful, and if you don't hear them you know you have to do it again.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #4
amybang

Yep. I know the code, I know how to enter it. I've never had a problem getting it to work in the past. It was working last night. And suddenly today, it's not. And I tried entering it again, multiple times. And I get the happy chime after the code sequence is entered, but the 30-sec skip Does Not Work.

What?!

Old 05-27-2015, 10:31 PM   #5
amybang

And just to stem another question, the Tivo in question did not lose power in the last 24 hours. It's on the same power strip as a Mac and that computer did not reboot.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:55 AM   #6
timhbtr53
Grumpy Old Man

I wonder if the

CMOS battery is low?
Any ideas unitron

timhbtr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:53 AM   #7
unitron

On the older model TiVos you had to enter some other code to "enable backdoors" before you could get anywhere enabling anything else, like the 30 second skip.

And it, also, wouldn't survive a cold boot.

But the later models seem to come backdoor enabled from the factory, so maybe there's something in the boot code that enables them whenever cold booted.

So try disconnecting the electricity, waiting a few minutes, and then connecting it again.

My personal preference is to go through the "Restart the TiVo" routine that's somewhere in the Settings menu, and to kill power right after the 3 Thumbs Down and Enter Key sequence as soon as the screen blanks, as opposed to just pulling the plug.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
amybang

So, I didn't look closely enough at the problem when it occurred a few days ago. It was a day before I was heading out on a long weekend and I tried re-programming a couple of times and then I posted here and went away. Now that I'm home I discovered that the Tivo didn't record any of the things it was supposed to while I was gone and that my Season Pass menu is completely missing from the menus altogether!

I put it through the reboot sequence just now and now that it is fully back online, the Season Passes are back and the 30-second skip is reprogrammed and works again. I'll just go stream the few shows I was hoping to watch. But this has me worried about my poor little TivoHD XL. It might be time to look at upgrading.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:06 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
So, I didn't look closely enough at the problem when it occurred a few days ago. It was a day before I was heading out on a long weekend and I tried re-programming a couple of times and then I posted here and went away. Now that I'm home I discovered that the Tivo didn't record any of the things it was supposed to while I was gone and that my Season Pass menu is completely missing from the menus altogether!

I put it through the reboot sequence just now and now that it is fully back online, the Season Passes are back and the 30-second skip is reprogrammed and works again. I'll just go stream the few shows I was hoping to watch. But this has me worried about my poor little TivoHD XL. It might be time to look at upgrading.
You might want to read up on the Series 3 power supply problems/capacitor replacement threads around here, as power supply problems are much more likely these days in Series 2 and Series 3 platform models than in S1s, S4s, and S5s, or other consumer electronics in general (except maybe flat screen TVs and monitors from a few years back and Pentium II era motherboards), and TiVo power supply problems can cause all sorts of strange symptoms.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #10
pdhenry
Worker Emeritus

AFAIK 30-second skip survives cold reboots on newer TiVos with current software. Definitely on a Premiere.

pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:24 AM   #11
MeStinkBAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I can't remember for certain about restarts where the TiVo is not unplugged (called warm boots, which the TiVo sometimes does on its own) but with a cold boot, where the electricity coming into the TiVo is interrupted for whatever reason, the 30 sec skip does not survive and has to be enabled all over again.
I have a S3 OLED model.... and as of six months ago when i last experienced a cold outage, the 30 second-skip setting remained.

MeStinkBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #12
scottanderson

Big Grin 30 second skip disappeared but THANKS TO WORACHJ it's back

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
S3’s seem to be a little bit flaky to get it to take. The only way I can get mind to work is by doing the following. While playing a recording hit the “Infor” button and scroll down to the CC section. While on the CC, perform the 30 second skip sequence. Select - Play - Select - 3 - 0 - Select
this TOTALLY worked for me where nothing else did. Thank you!

scottanderson is offline   Reply With Quote