TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
jpscratches

How long does the kickstart 54 overnight run?

I've been running the overnight test. Started at 1 am and it's still running 10:40 am. Currently doing seek/read, random locations and it seems to just be cycling between this and the Seek time vs. Distance test...

It's a single 1TB drive. Curious if I should just let it go or unplug.

Passed all the SMART tests.

Thanks in advance.
jpscratches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
jpscratches

Spontaneous rebooting

Okay, the SMART tests have all passed, the overnight just passed. I've replaced the old power supply with a known good supply.

The unit continues to spontaneously reboot. Have noticed it having some problem with lost signal on the cable tuner the last few days but the spontaneous rebooting has been happening for months. It's now gotten to the point of distraction.

I was thinking of reinstalling the system using kickstart 56.

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
jpscratches

Whoops, looks like 56 is no longer

Looks like 52 is now the way to do a replacement system install. I'm assuming this will cause me to lose any content on the machine.

Anyone know for sure?
Old 12-15-2014, 10:46 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpscratches View Post
Looks like 52 is now the way to do a replacement system install. I'm assuming this will cause me to lose any content on the machine.

Anyone know for sure?
First of all, assuming that you have an original OLED S3 or an S3 HD or S3 HD XL, you need to verify that the power supply output voltages are what they are supposed to be before you can trust any troubleshooting because of the very high probability that you've got electrolytic capacitors on the power supply board going bad.

(This same advice applies to Series 2 owners as well)

The TiVo uses partitions 2, 3, and 4 for booting from and storing the operating system. Partitions 5, 6, and 7 are duplicates, but when it's time for an upgrade it gets written to those alternate partitions and then at the next reboot it switches to the alternate trio and the previous trio becomes the new alternate.

KS 56 basically forced the TiVo to "phone home" and get the latest version of the OS downloaded and installed to the alternates.

51 and 52 basically force the partition swap, which may switch you to a newer version of the operating system if for some reason it's been sitting there on the alternate partitions but the switchover wasn't made automatically. Otherwise it may actually switch you back to the previous version of the OS.

Whatever your problem is, this probably won't solve it, but the partitions where your shows are recorded shouldn't remain unmessed with.

If you want to try fixing things with a KS, try KS 58.

But I bet it's the power supply if there's nothing physically wrong with the hard drive.

EDIT to add: Generally a TiVo leaves the factory set to boot from 2, 3, and 4, but which set it's currently set to use depends on how many times the OS has been updated and the primary and alternate set swapped.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:50 AM   #5
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
51 and 52 basically force the partition swap, which may switch you to a newer version of the operating system if for some reason it's been sitting there on the alternate partitions but the switchover wasn't made automatically. Otherwise it may actually switch you back to the previous version of the OS.

Whatever your problem is, this probably won't solve it, but the partitions where your shows are recorded shouldn't remain unmessed with.

If you want to try fixing things with a KS, try KS 58.
KS52 will never result in you winding up with an older or newer version of the OS. It takes the OS version that you are currently running, installs it and related data, onto the alternate set of partitions, and switches them to be the active ones, upon the next boot/reboot. Before and after this process, the TiVo runs the full battery of integrity checks and garbage cleanups on both the current set, and the alternate set. Whatever set is not in use, will always be the "alternate set". The recordings stay right where they are, and the related structures are checked for integrity. Unless the drive has physical defects, a KS52 should never cause loss of recordings.

The ONLY way switching which set is active could cause an OS version change, is if you manually did so, using a 3rd-party tool, like WinMFS, or manually changed the configuration using a disk/hex editor, and did so without running KS52 first. Running it first prevents an OS mismatch from corrupting databases, and/or the OS from being unable to work with the databases.

For whatever reason, every TiVo I had ever owned (before Roamio), was rendered unrecoverable, more than once, caught in a GSOD reboot-loop, by use of KS57 and/or KS58. Yet, none ever suffered the same fate by using KS52, even though it is far more through and aggressive in operation.

Since the last thing TiVo ever wants is a software update borking a TiVo, and KS52 emulates a software update (uses the same routines and mechanisms), you are safest using KS52, even if KS 57 and/or KS58 sounds like exactly what you want. You will still get all (good things) that KS 57/58 has to offer.

There have been reports of TiVos with bad sectors in the alternate partitions going belly-up. But, you have to consider that the day was coming anyway, if the drive was developing bad sectors. I made it a habit to run KS52 every 6 months, on units that ceased receiving updates, or went longer than 6 months without one. This helps balance the wear and tear on the drive.

One thing that is finally fixed with the Roamio, is that I can't even force a KS57/58 to bork a Roamio. I've tried very hard at it. KS52 is no longer functional on Roamios, leaving KS57&58 as the only repair and cleanup kickstarts available.

On any TiVo before the Roamio, I'd never even consider running KS57/58, or advise others to do so, if there was anything on the TiVo that was important. It's a coin toss, if 57/58 will help, or put you into a boot loop, requiring a drive reimage, and loss of all recordings. KS54 once borked a TiVo HD for me. But, that could have been a complete fluke, which the lack of reports about such a thing happening to anybody else, seems to point towards.

The usual 3 people can now chime in that they have never had a kickstart cause any ill effects.