TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #1
jfharrison

ToDo & conflict problems

I have a problem removing a todo list program. It is conflicting and will not record but I am annoyed by it's presence on the list. It is not on onepass and I can find no way to remove it. I even suffered through a guided setup in the hopes that my system would be 'cleaned up'.

How can I remove this todo item?

How can I force a onepass to record a repeat program? If I find a program I want to record that is causes another program to be conflicting I could avoid that situation by recording a program during a repeat (say an evening show repeats in the wee hours of the following day). OnePass does not seem to be able to do that. I can define a channel but cannot find a way to record repeats (I have it set for new shows only).

Thanks, jon

jfharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfharrison View Post
I have a problem removing a todo list program. It is conflicting and will not record but I am annoyed by it's presence on the list. It is not on onepass and I can find no way to remove it. I even suffered through a guided setup in the hopes that my system would be 'cleaned up'.

How can I force a onepass to record a repeat program? If I find a program I want to record that is causes another program to be conflicting I could avoid that situation by recording a program during a repeat (say an evening show repeats in the wee hours of the following day). OnePass does not seem to be able to do that. I can define a channel but cannot find a way to record repeats (I have it set for new shows only).

Thanks, jon
#1 - Be sure it's not in your 1P. Then Settings & Messages, Help, Restart or Reset, Clear Program Information and To Do List.

Give it an hour.

#2 - 1P can be set to "new & repeats". You may have to change priority and/or delete the first conflict manually.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

#2 - 1P will do that based on its priority on the list. I put network TV on the top and cable network shows towards the bottom all the time. New and repeats is a mess, to me, as it will captures too much.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:23 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:

Use the red (c) button on the remote to change the ToDo list display option to "Show (will record)"

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:42 PM   #5
jfharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
#1 - Be sure it's not in your 1P. Then Settings & Messages, Help, Restart or Reset, Clear Program Information and To Do List.

Give it an hour.

#2 - 1P can be set to "new & repeats". You may have to change priority and/or delete the first conflict manually.
As stated in my post, it is not in my 1P. I have 35 programs set up to record. Won't Clear Program Info & To Do wipe them out? Don't want to set them up again.......

Thanks for new & repeats idea. That sounds like a reasonable work around.

jon

Old 08-31-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
As stated in my post, it is not in my 1P. I have 35 programs set up to record. Won't Clear Program Info & To Do wipe them out? Don't want to set them up again.......

Thanks for new & repeats idea. That sounds like a reasonable work around.

jon
Only effect to the Clear is that your History folder will be cleared. Scheduled and 1P recordings are not affected. Remember, it's a two pass operation and it takes time for the To Do List to repopulate. One hour from start to finish would be normal. Less time on a Roamio. I've done it several times.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
jfharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Use the red (c) button on the remote to change the ToDo list display option to "Show (will record)"
Thanks, but I can't remove the improperly listed programs permanently. Maybe they will disappear after the show airs.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:17 PM   #8
jfharrison

Quote:
Only effect to the Clear is that your History folder will be cleared. Scheduled and 1P recordings are not affected. Remember, it's a two pass operation and it takes time for the To Do List to repopulate. One hour from start to finish would be normal. Less time on a Roamio. I've done it several times.
OK, I'll check it again tomorrow and see how it looks then.

jon

Old 08-31-2015, 06:25 PM   #9
jfharrison

Quote:
I cannot find 'new & repeat'. I can find season X, new, and all.

This method doesn't seem to do what I want unless I can find the "repeat". Take a show like PBS Nova. It repeats it's current program 3 or 4 times during the week. So if I happen to decide to add a new program to 1P during the same timeslot and cause a conflict I can juggle around the priority or perhaps even need to remove Nova and then add it in later as all episodes. But this will cause me to record dozens & dozens of unwanted Nova episodes.

I sure wish I could force the box to program a repeat that. Maybe manual channel/time will do this.

thanks
jon

Old 08-31-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

TC CLUB MEMBER
In OnePass Options there should be, "New & repeats", "New" and "Everything."in that order, under the "Record:" option line.

You can go to upcoming episodes to select episodes to record when its not set to.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:15 PM   #11
lpwcomp

A "Clear Program Information & ToDo List" will clear the complete ToDo list and the only entries that will be automatically restored are those created by 1Ps, wishlists, and suggestions.

To the OP,

Do you have suggestions enabled? I always disable them so don't know if it would generate a conflict entry or not.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:50 PM   #12
JoeKustra
Cable only

It will not affect a guide-based manual recording selection.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:12 PM   #13
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yes it will. Or at least it should.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:13 PM   #14
jfharrison

Quote:
How can I find if there has been a guide-based manual selection? I poked around a bit but did not readily see anything that might be this.

jon

Old 08-31-2015, 08:39 PM   #15
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
How can I find if there has been a guide-based manual selection? I poked around a bit but did not readily see anything that might be this.

jon
To Do List with one check mark. I do that for a movie or a one time thing, like the upcoming CBS promo or Jimmy Kimmel when he has something interesting. Same as one check in the guide. A 1P has two checks.

It just took my Roamio 45 minutes to perform the operation. I was not planning to do this, but I never post something without testing. I only have 12 1P at this time. I do not use Suggestions or Thumbs.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:48 PM   #16
lpwcomp

It will also have a single checkmark if you modify a 1P created entry.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:57 PM   #17
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
It will also have a single checkmark if you modify a 1P created entry.
I know.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:38 PM   #18
jfharrison

Quote:
To Do List with one check mark. I do that for a movie or a one time thing, like the upcoming CBS promo or Jimmy Kimmel when he has something interesting. Same as one check in the guide. A 1P has two checks.

It just took my Roamio 45 minutes to perform the operation. I was not planning to do this, but I never post something without testing. I only have 12 1P at this time. I do not use Suggestions or Thumbs.
My system has a red X. Of course, this is for conflict. Again, there is no 1P for this show (there used to be, I removed it).

The guide shows no check marks.

Suggestions are turned off and Thumbs have only been used by accident. I do note that almost all of the 1P items have a thumb, but they were not put there by using the peanut.

I also find it odd that the conflict shows because I have Nova set to record New only and the next show is not set to record. Perhaps this is not a criteria for a conflict.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, this is probably not going to be solved (I haven't tried the clear prog yet) and so I will wait 2 more days and see what happens with the Tivo rolls past the conflict (it shows a conflict on the next 2 Wed's).

Jon

Old 08-31-2015, 10:51 PM   #19
lpwcomp

Based on what I am seeing with a 1P I created and removed days ago while testing something else, this is what happened (and yes, it is a bug):

When the 1P was created, there was a conflict with this episode, so a conflict entry was created. When the 1P was canceled, all the scheduled recordings for that 1P were removed but the conflict entries were left in place.

The other thing, which I consider to be a design flaw, is that the "Show" setting for the TDL display is not persistent and is always set to "Will record & conflicts" when you enter the TDL.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:31 PM   #20
jfharrison

Quote:
Based on what I am seeing with a 1P I created and removed days ago while testing something else, this is what happened (and yes, it is a bug):

When the 1P was created, there was a conflict with this episode, so a conflict entry was created.
What is TDL?

In my case, the recordings were created with Season Manager using the display of SD. I don't really know when 1P arrived but there is a message on 31 July referring to 1P. I was out of town for a few weeks in Aug and the house sitter switched the system from SD to HD and opened an new & confusing world of settings and interface to me.

Does someone at Tivo need to be made aware of this issue or do they monitor these comments?

jon

Old 09-01-2015, 12:36 AM   #21
jfharrison

Quote:
What is TDL?
jon
ohhh, I got it. To do list

Old 09-01-2015, 12:40 AM   #22
lpwcomp

Quote:
In my case, the recordings were created with Season Manager using the display of SD. I don't really know when 1P arrived but there is a message on 31 July referring to 1P. I was out of town for a few weeks in Aug and the house sitter switched the system from SD to HD and opened an new & confusing world of settings and interface to me.
OnePass hit Roamios in February and I believe Premieres in March. Do you own your Premiere or rent it from your cable co? Have they removed the option to run the SDUI from Premieres? Can't check right now. Will try to do it tomorrow (technically, later today).

This really has nothing to do with 1P vs. SP. It's more an SDUI vs. HDUI issue. Conflicts aren't displayed in the SDUI TDL. Even if we still had SPs, the problem might still be there if deleting a(n)* SP didn't remove the conflict entries.

Quote:
Does someone at Tivo need to be made aware of this issue or do they monitor these comments?
You best bet would be to post on the tivo.com forums. Don't expect quick action since this is a minor annoyance at worst and they have far more serious issues to address.

* I'm always torn in these situations. Should the choice of "a" vs. "an" be based on the pronunciation of the letter or that of the word it represents?

Old 09-01-2015, 12:43 AM   #23
lpwcomp

Quote:
ohhh, I got it. To do list
Maybe we need a sticky with standard TiVo/TCF abbreviations.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #24
jfharrison

Quote:
Maybe we need a sticky with standard TiVo/TCF abbreviations.
And who would maintain that ever changing list?

My confusion & unfamiliarity with common terms is due to infrequent visits to the forum. It's only when I have a problem that I search here for a solution. I figured out 1P, it took a few readings and a trip or two away from the keyboard. TDL was a bit more difficult and a forehead slap as soon as the light came on.

jon

Old 09-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #25
jfharrison

Quote:
OnePass hit Roamios in February and I believe Premieres in March. Do you own your Premiere or rent it from your cable co? Have they removed the option to run the SDUI from Premieres? Can't check right now. Will try to do it tomorrow (technically, later today).

This really has nothing to do with 1P vs. SP. It's more an SDUI vs. HDUI issue. Conflicts aren't displayed in the SDUI TDL. Even if we still had SPs, the problem might still be there if deleting a(n)* SP didn't remove the conflict entries.

You best bet would be to post on the tivo.com forums. Don't expect quick action since this is a minor annoyance at worst and they have far more serious issues to address.

* I'm always torn in these situations. Should the choice of "a" vs. "an" be based on the pronunciation of the letter or that of the word it represents?
I own my Premiere, it uses an M card & Charter Cable. I bought it just a few years ago because AFAIK, it was the last OTA device Tivo made. And a few months after that, Charter threw me a curve ball ball by switching from analog to digital, sort of making the Premiere obsolete compared to the newer Tivo products.

I've been using SDUI even after changing out my CRT to a flatscreen. I didn't even notice that there were 2 UI's. My son visited and changed it to HD and added a bunch of bells & whistles plus links to streaming services that I don't use. I switched it back to SDUI (yes, my Premiere still has both UI's) but it does not have NetFlix, which my wife uses, so now back onto HDUI just to get access to NF. The lack of conflict notification in SDUI explains my confusion.

I've since removed most of the fluff from HDUI (still have annoying shortcut tiles across the top of the screen, fiddling with banner improved the view but still have stuff there that I don't need to see).

Totally agree with the "a" vs. "an" issue.

thanks, jon

Old 09-01-2015, 09:33 PM   #26
ej42137

Quote:
Since whether or not to use "a" or "an" in front of a word beginning with "h" depends upon whether the pronunciation of the word aspirates the "h" sound, I would conclude we go by pronunciation. Here is an article with references that seems to back up my supposition. "a" versus "an"

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:07 PM   #27
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
Since whether or not to use "a" or "an" in front of a word beginning with "h" depends upon whether the pronunciation of the word aspirates the "h" sound, I would conclude we go by pronunciation. Here is an article with references that seems to back up my supposition. "a" versus "an"
Read what you quoted again. The question is - pronunciation of what? In the particular case of my post, "ess" or "Season"?

Old 09-02-2015, 03:34 AM   #28
ej42137

Quote:
Read what you quoted again. The question is - pronunciation of what? In the particular case of my post, "ess" or "Season"?
I thought that part was obvious, it's how you intend the sentence to be read and acronym pronounced, because how it will be pronounced determines this usage. If you mean to pronounce it "ess pee", it takes "an", if you mean for it to be read and pronounced "season pass" you'd use "a". I think most people would read it as "ess pee", but you just as well might have meant for it to be read as "season pass".

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote