TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
sdzc

Transfer Service to a Premiere?

If a Premiere is purchased at another retailer (Amazon or Best Buy), can you transfer service to it like you can with other boxes via the website?

This, of course, allows one to keep the grandfathered $6.95 MSD.
sdzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Resist

Yes.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
sdzc

Thanks, another question.

If I use the Tivo upgrade program and upgrade an S2 to the premiere, will the Premiere from Tivo fall into the $6.95 MSD rate?

When you go through the upgrade pages, it prompts you to pick a service plan, with the monthly one being at $9.95.

If I order this upgrade through Tivo, do I lose the $6.95 MSD rate?
Old 03-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
innocentfreak

From what I have read yes, but you may want to search. I know it has been discussed a couple times, but since I have lifetime I never really kept up on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdzc View Post
If I use the Tivo upgrade program and upgrade an S2 to the premiere, will the Premiere from Tivo fall into the $6.95 MSD rate?

When you go through the upgrade pages, it prompts you to pick a service plan, with the monthly one being at $9.95.

If I order this upgrade through Tivo, do I lose the $6.95 MSD rate?
I checked the other day to see what would happen if I took the upgrade offer from my monthly-ed TiVo HD. The Premiere would sub at $9.95. If I kept the HD active, it would also sub at $9.95. Meaning the current $6.95 on the THD looks to be lost any way I cut it. So Amazon's $50 VOD offer I read about here in the forum might be the better deal assuming you can transfer service over like we've done in the past.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
sdzc

Sneaky way for Tivo to screw over their long term customers once again.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
innocentfreak

They aren't screwing the customer. It is better than how most companies handle grandfathered pricing where any change will update the pricing or update the price as soon as the new prices are out.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdzc View Post
Sneaky way for Tivo to screw over their long term customers once again.
concur, was thinkin of selling my S3 but now that I think of it why not keep both recordin away?
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #9
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
I checked the other day to see what would happen if I took the upgrade offer from my monthly-ed TiVo HD. The Premiere would sub at $9.95. If I kept the HD active, it would also sub at $9.95. Meaning the current $6.95 on the THD looks to be lost any way I cut it. So Amazon's $50 VOD offer I read about here in the forum might be the better deal assuming you can transfer service over like we've done in the past.
I was hoping to find a Premiere Upgrade Program "terms and conditions" document, but only found a FAQ that states:

Quote:
If you currently have a 1-year or 3-year prepay service plan on your older TiVo box, it will be automatically transferred to your upgraded Premiere. Monthly service contracts outside of a commitment are not eligible for service transfer.
If monthly service contracts had been included in eligibility for service transfer, I think that would have been the way to keep your grandfathered pricing...

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
I think it's a good deal.
The $6.95 is not lost if you don't keep the old unit on the plan. I have two monthly units that I used the upgrade offer with. The Premiere units will stay at the $6.95 a month for the rest of the term. Which is August and September for those units. Then I can decide to get lifetime or monthly service again, or just sell the units.
and my old TiVoHD units will still be active for 60 days.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
DeWitt

Worth noting. If you upgrade and transfer your service to the Premiere and do not select a new plan for your old box, the Premiere will come pre setup and authorized, and they will leave the old unit active for 60 days to let you get set up transfer shows etc.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt View Post
Worth noting. If you upgrade and transfer your service to the Premiere and do not select a new plan for your old box, the Premiere will come pre setup and authorized, and they will leave the old unit active for 60 days to let you get set up transfer shows etc.
Then you can sell it. Which is what I'll be doing with mine.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
robm15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I think it's a good deal.
The $6.95 is not lost if you don't keep the old unit on the plan. I have two monthly units that I used the upgrade offer with. The Premiere units will stay at the $6.95 a month for the rest of the term. Which is August and September for those units. Then I can decide to get lifetime or monthly service again, or just sell the units.
and my old TiVoHD units will still be active for 60 days.
If you get lifetime in August or September as you suggested, have you figured out how much it will cost? I am considering the same thing you did, upgrade a S2 with 5 months left on a 3 year contract at $6.95/month. Then get lifetime in September, but if I do that I am not sure what I'll pay for the lifetime. $399.99, or $299.99.

What do you think?
robm15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:08 AM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm15 View Post
If you get lifetime in August or September as you suggested, have you figured out how much it will cost? I am considering the same thing you did, upgrade a S2 with 5 months left on a 3 year contract at $6.95/month. Then get lifetime in September, but if I do that I am not sure what I'll pay for the lifetime. $399.99, or $299.99.

What do you think?
For mine, if Lifetime is still $299, the price works out to around the same as the upgrade for Lifetime Units. Which was $764.98 with the 3 year warranty and tax. Paying $299 for the Lifetime would cost $460.98 + $299=$758.98. So I guess it would actually be cheaper. Assuming the Lifetime is $299. If it's $399, then that is a big increase.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #15
allthegoodonesar

I picked up a refurbished Premiere for $49.99 to upgrade to from my Tivo HD. I'm also grandfathered in at the $6.95 rate and would have been ok with the $9.95 rate but they wanted the full $19.99/month. I've been with Tivo since they first came out but I'll never pay that much. Now I'm stuck with a worthless Premiere that will never be activated. When my Tivo HD dies I'll be moving on to a vendor that values customer loyalty.
allthegoodonesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #16
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthegoodonesar View Post
customer loyalty.
I don't think that means what you think it means. They allowed you to continue with the $6.95 price but as soon as the price goes up, you bail? Real loyal...btw, the MSD for the Premiere is $14.99.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #17
atmuscarella

Quote:
I picked up a refurbished Premiere for $49.99 to upgrade to from my Tivo HD. I'm also grandfathered in at the $6.95 rate and would have been ok with the $9.95 rate but they wanted the full $19.99/month. I've been with Tivo since they first came out but I'll never pay that much. Now I'm stuck with a worthless Premiere that will never be activated. When my Tivo HD dies I'll be moving on to a vendor that values customer loyalty.
You picked up a very old thread much has changed since the last post before yours.

The most significant thing being what monthly service costs. They significantly lowered the price of the Premiere (from $299 to $99) and raised the price of monthly service to $19.99 (or $14.99 with MSD). When they did this they also stopped allowing people to sub a Premiere into an existing monthly plan.

If it makes you feel any better TiVo is likely out more money than you are if you don't sub the unit.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #18
Soapm

Quote:
I'm with you, I bought a premier off Amazon but once I learned about the $20/mo I found a TivoHD and plan to sell this premier to anyone buying... I was belly aching at my current $12.99 service I really don't think I would pay more.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote