TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2014, 02:12 AM   #1
janineanne

Any way to use an HD Antenna with a Premiere 4?

I have a TiVo Premiere 4, which doesn't have a built-in ATSC tuner. We just cancelled cable and I've hooked up an HD antenna to get local channels. I've been trying to figure out if there's any sort of external box which can translated the ATSC signal to the MoCA signal the TiVo expects. Not only can I not find any product that says it can do this, I can't even find anyone else talking about it. Is this really that crazy of an idea?

janineanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:42 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

TC CLUB MEMBER
Only the Premiere 2 tuner models, the earlier Series 3 dual tuner models, an the 4 tuner Roamio can use OTA.

Premiere 4/XL4 is for cable only and Roamio Plus/Pro can only use digital cable.

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
janineanne

Yes, I know. What I'm looking for is an external box that would convert the signal from the antenna to something that would look like digital cable to the TiVo. Maybe that's not possible, or would be so expensive that I'm better off buying a new TiVo. But I wanted to check with the experts here to find out if such a thing exists.

janineanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by janineanne View Post
Yes, I know. What I'm looking for is an external box that would convert the signal from the antenna to something that would look like digital cable to the TiVo. Maybe that's not possible, or would be so expensive that I'm better off buying a new TiVo. But I wanted to check with the experts here to find out if such a thing exists.
New TiVo. Or Google ATSC to Cable and sort through all the results, none of which will do any good.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
I have a TiVo Premiere 4, which doesn't have a built-in ATSC tuner. We just cancelled cable and I've hooked up an HD antenna to get local channels. I've been trying to figure out if there's any sort of external box which can translated the ATSC signal to the MoCA signal the TiVo expects. Not only can I not find any product that says it can do this, I can't even find anyone else talking about it. Is this really that crazy of an idea?
Yes, this is a really crazy idea. The TiVo isn't looking for a moca signal to tune channels. Moca had nothing to do with tv signals, it's data period. A different wiresystem to cat 5/6. Much like the old style Ethernet coax, arcnet also used coax other token ring networks used a wide variety of wire systems from ibm type 2 to twisted pairs not unlike speaker wire.

Moca is simply data over coax that coexsist with cable tv.

----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Premiere 4/XL4 is for cable only and Roamio Plus/Pro can only use digital cable.
Premiere 4/XL4 is also digital cable only.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
MeInDallas

You can find a buttload of used 2 tuner Premieres that do OTA, with no subscriptions on Ebay for dirt cheap right now, if you wanna go that route. Looking thru the completed auctions they are going for around $20-$30 some with free shipping. The lifetimed ones seem to be going for between $200-$250.

MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
You can find a buttload of used 2 tuner Premieres that do OTA, with no subscriptions on Ebay for dirt cheap right now, if you wanna go that route. Looking thru the completed auctions they are going for around $20-$30 some with free shipping. The lifetimed ones seem to be going for between $200-$250.
But you might get lucky and get an unsubbed Premiere on which you can get $99 Lifetime.

Best hope of that is finding someone with one first subbed at least 3 years ago and not yet cancelled and getting them to get the deal and reimbursing them the hundred bucks on top of purchase price.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The 4 tuner TiVo expects a QAM signal, not MoCa. MoCa is a networking thing.

The answer to your question is no. There is no box that will convert an ATSC signal to a QAM signal that the TiVo can use.

FYI you can get a Roamio OTA at BestBuy for $50 plus $15/mo for service. If you're already paying monthly for your current TiVo then this wont be any different and you can probably sell the Premier 4 for enough to cover the cost of the Roamio.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:17 AM   #10
ADent

You would be better off getting a new Roamio - if the Premiere 4 does not have lifetime.

If it has lifetime then you would want to swap with someone or sell it.

ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #11
phone man

You'll need an OTA capable Tivo as others have mentioned. And, congrats on getting rid of cable TV. $100 a month not thrown away is a great thing.

phone man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
Pacomartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
The original units 2-tuner premiers were manufactured close to 5 years ago (shipping for 4.8 year). I wonder if TiVo will extend lifetime service on older units for less than $500? I see some posts indicating that some people have bought units on e-bay with lifetime service and they were gypped.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
jrtroo
User

Yes, you can get MSD, but not sure if that applies with a RCN box. You can get cheap lifetime sometimes as well, depending upon the circumstances. If the used box was under service, you can often get 199 offered, and down to 99 if the box was under service for three years. YMMV

Old 12-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacomartin View Post
The original units 2-tuner premiers were manufactured close to 5 years ago (shipping for 4.8 year). I wonder if TiVo will extend lifetime service on older units for less than $500? I see some posts indicating that some people have bought units on e-bay with lifetime service and they were gypped.
Lifetime follows the box and works forever. People are currently getting offered $99 lifetime on Premiere units when they call to cancel monthly service, which is why you can find them so cheap on eBay. Someone pays $99 for lifetime and then turns around and sells the unit for $200-$300.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #15
drcos
HD where available

Quote:
You would be better off getting a new Roamio
If you only want antenna OR cable, not both. If you want both in the same TiVo, you need the 2 tuner Premiere.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:14 PM   #16
John Hafer

I guess I am one of the few people who actually does do both. I have a TiVo Premiere (2 Tuner) and have it setup for BOTH OTA digital antenna and Comcast digital cable. It is nice in that both guides are integrated into one. All of or local OTA stations list first in the guide since they have low numbers.

When I found out the new Roamio can not tune BOTH OTA and cable, I decided to stay with my Premiere and I love it.

John Hafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #17
Pacomartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hafer View Post
When I found out the new Roamio can not tune BOTH OTA and cable, I decided to stay with my Premiere and I love it.
Where is the value added? Aren't all the OTA stations on cable anyway?

I understand the potential value. If these fights between cable companies and broadcast networks continue, you may have to go two sources. But so far it hasn't happened for long periods of time, and has been limited in scope.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:38 PM   #18
series5orpremier

OTA is my first choice for recording/watching broadcast TV because the pure and crisp picture quality is better than on a compressed cable signal. It's even more noticeable on "480p" sub channels than it is on the HD channels.

series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:58 AM   #19
replaytv
gun talk ignore list

Quote:
usually the main ABC, CBS and such are on cable or dish, but most of the dash channels ( 9-2, 9-3 ) aren't on cable, and many of the odd broadcasters aren't either. Such as ION and MyTV.

replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #20
John Hafer

Quote:
Actually, not all and when they do, these are usually up in the 800s' channels. I like to have all our local OTA channels where they should be, i.e., ch. 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, etc. which show up first in the guides. Also, when new sub-channels are added, it can take a month or more to add them to Comcast. Even then, not all sub-channels are always added.

Finally, as was also mentioned, I feel that direct OTA picture quality can be better than their compressed cable counterparts.

John Hafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:49 PM   #21
Arcady
Stargate Fan

"Channel numbers where they should be."

That's funny, because I have moved a few times since I started using TiVo, and I have no idea what any channel number is any more. That's what happens when you stop watching live TV. I think the only channels I sort of know is a couple cable news channels, which would be the only thing I need to watch as it happens. By "sort of" I mean I think they are in the low 700's. LOL

Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:30 AM   #22
JoeKustra
Cable only

That's so true. It was hard, but I taught my mother not to say channel 2 but to say CBS. She would call me up and ask me to "tape" her soap sometimes. Now, if only I could get her to select 502 and not 2. Why SD is still being sent escapes me.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:36 AM   #23
SullyND
L: 44-28

Quote:
I had my TiVoHD hooked up to antenna and cable. There are channels I received OTA that I do not get with Comcast. In addition, while I have had my cable go out, my OTA never did, so at the very least I could get local channels.

SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #24
drcos
HD where available

Quote:
Same deal, Ft. Myers stations aren't on cable in Venice. ABC from antenna is 5.1, from cable not. And different NFL games on Ft Myers stations vs Tampa...
So the Premiere is the way to go for me.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
"Channel numbers where they should be."

That's funny, because I have moved a few times since I started using TiVo, and I have no idea what any channel number is any more. That's what happens when you stop watching live TV. I think the only channels I sort of know is a couple cable news channels, which would be the only thing I need to watch as it happens. By "sort of" I mean I think they are in the low 700's. LOL
Whether you know where they are or not is irrelevant. TiVo needs them to be mapped properly to line up the guide data with the channel. If all you want to do is watch live TV or setup manual recordings akin to a VCR then it doesn't matter, but if you want to use any of the automatic recording features of the TiVo or it's guide then you need a CableCARD so the TiVo can get a map.

That being said some people have successfully bought them on eBay. As long as you buy the right brand then it will still get the map even if it's not linked to your account. That's enough to make the unencrypted channels work. Although more and more cable companies are starting to encrypt everything.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #26
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Whether you know where they are or not is irrelevant. TiVo needs them to be mapped properly to line up the guide data with the channel. If all you want to do is watch live TV or setup manual recordings akin to a VCR then it doesn't matter, but if you want to use any of the automatic recording features of the TiVo or it's guide then you need a CableCARD so the TiVo can get a map.

That being said some people have successfully bought them on eBay. As long as you buy the right brand then it will still get the map even if it's not linked to your account. That's enough to make the unencrypted channels work. Although more and more cable companies are starting to encrypt everything.
I know all of this. Nothing in my post questioned any of this. Are you quoting the right person?

Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #27
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
No I was simply pointing out that even if you don't care where the channels are (I don't either) the TiVo still needs them to be "where they should be" so it can properly assign the data. I quoted you, but I was really just elaborating on the whole idea, not picking on you specifically or trying to correct you in anyway.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:01 PM   #28
mp11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Only the Premiere 2 tuner models, the earlier Series 3 dual tuner models, an the 4 tuner Roamio can use OTA.

So a new Romio supports OTA?

Old 01-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #29
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp11 View Post
So a new Romio supports OTA?
The 4-Tuner Roamio Basic and of course OTA do. The 6-tuner Plus and Pro do not.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #30
cardgone

Revisiting this for clarity

READ CAREFULLY BEOFRE REPLYING.

I have Tivo premiere series 4 and 4 XL tuners here. I just cut the chord but kept basic cable channels 2-99 as it is free with my internet plan. I have taken the Premiere XL box and gone through he entire setup again saying I don't plan to use an M-card, and then it gives me the choice between antenna, cable or both. I picked both. This seem to find all the stations from 2-99 with a few duplicate numbers, (i.e. channel 7 twice but both with different programming).

However I do not seem to get any HD channels which I know come through this feed also, because when I hook the same cable to my HDTV directly, I get channels like 45-1, 45-2, 80-64, and all are HD channels on the Smarttv that it can pick up from the same cable line.

Is there anyway to get Tivo to recognize those and will my results be any different if I get the new roamio OTA box?

cardgone is offline   Reply With Quote