TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
itsdavetime

Cutting off last 5 minutes of every recording

I have a Tivo Premier, and just about every recording, the last few minutes are cut off. Has anyone else been having this issue?

Do I have to go into every single season pass and extend it by 5 minutes? My only issue with doing this, is it will cause issues if I have something set to record after it.

Thanks
itsdavetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
lpwcomp

On what channels and shows are you seeing this problem? Not seeing it on any of my TiVos.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsdavetime View Post
I have a Tivo Premier, and just about every recording, the last few minutes are cut off. Has anyone else been having this issue?

Do I have to go into every single season pass and extend it by 5 minutes? My only issue with doing this, is it will cause issues if I have something set to record after it.

Thanks
Do the recordings start on time? Late? Early?

____________________________________________________________ __

Off-topic for future searchers:

If you use TiVo Desktop with SD recordings and 2 hour movies somehow become 1:55, it's probably because your "My TiVo Recordings" folder is on a FAT32 partition, and it can only handle files up to 4GB, which is just a little less than 2 hours at Best Quality. It needs to be on an NTFS partition.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
a68oliver

Quote:
Are these local broadcast channels or "satellite" channels? Do you have an antenna or cable? Are you recording cable analog or digital? Is it really missing 5 minutes or usually only 30 seconds to a minute?

There are issues with some of these that will help explain what is going on.

Can you cite a few specific examples?
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You should try a power cycle/reboot the tivo.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Tony Chick

I've always had this issue too since I got the Premiere. Its mostly cable channels, a typical example is Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations on Travel Channel. It always stops in the middle of his last sentence before the credits roll. It almost always stops during the credits somewhere on other programs, its just not so annoying as when it clips the last seconds of the actual show. I'm on Time-Warner SoCal, East Valley
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
mr.unnatural

Sounds like your clock is out of sync with the networks. Your provider sends the clock signal to your Tivo so if it's not correct it's going to throw your entire recording schedule off. Your best bet is to pad the beginning and end of each recording to avoid losing any of the program. I've always done this for every season pass on every Tivo I've owned. If you're losing five minutes from every program I'd pad it by at least 6 or 7 minutes, if not more.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Sounds like your clock is out of sync with the networks. Your provider sends the clock signal to your Tivo so if it's not correct it's going to throw your entire recording schedule off. Your best bet is to pad the beginning and end of each recording to avoid losing any of the program. I've always done this for every season pass on every Tivo I've owned. If you're losing five minutes from every program I'd pad it by at least 6 or 7 minutes, if not more.
TiVos set the clock during their daily connect, not from a time signal sent to the TiVo by the provider.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
TiVos set the clock during their daily connect, not from a time signal sent to the TiVo by the provider.

and the issue really has nothing to do with Tivo. Recording from time A to time B is all Tivo does. What happens between those times is up to the individual content providers. Apparently, they can choose to falsely advertise the start and end times of their programs.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
a68oliver

Cable channels are particularly susceptible to being delayed a few seconds up to a minute or so.

Remember, those signals are bounced off a satellite and encur delays. Remember two newscasters trying to carry on a conversation across the ocean? You have surely seen this. There are uncomfortable delays in their conversations. Also, every piece of digital equipment that the signal passes through adds some more delays.

And as scandia101 said, many providers do not publish actual program start and stop times. Some networks are much worse than others.

However, usually, your local broadcast stations will be much closer to being correct than the satellite distributed signals.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
djwilso

Just to rule out clock problems in your troubleshooting, you can visit this site and compare it to your TiVo clock.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...=137,75,64,179

I wasn't sure where you were located, so that will show a city in each of the 4 USA mainland timezones.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #12
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I stand corrected. I must have been thinking about the old days when some VCRs would get their clocks synched up with a local PBS channel. I think cable boxes get their time data from the provider.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:42 AM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I stand corrected. I must have been thinking about the old days when some VCRs would get their clocks synched up with a local PBS channel. I think cable boxes get their time data from the provider.
Which left you at the mercy of the local PBS affiliate who could screw up your recordings by not keeping that time reference properly maintained.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:39 AM   #14
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Which left you at the mercy of the local PBS affiliate who could screw up your recordings by not keeping that time reference properly maintained.
That could have been a great motivator to donate during pledge drives.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:14 AM   #15
ct1

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Do I have to go into every single season pass and extend it by 5 minutes?
That's what I do...

Quote:
My only issue with doing this, is it will cause issues if I have something set to record after it.
Rarely -- but if there are things you want to record at the same time on more channels than you have tuners, there really isn't a way to avoid that...
ct1 is offline   Reply With Quote