TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
jchristian79

Tivo Premiere, can't rewind or ffwd live TV, need help!

I've had my premiere now for 6 months. Today when watching football I went to rewind to re-watch a play and found that my Tivo is not rewinding. In fact, it seems as if it's not even recording the live tv. When I would go to rewind, it would immediately jump to the same spot earlier in the game (25 minutes earlier) and then not let me jump ahead until I hit Live TV.

I restarted the system thinking that would help, but after that I found I'm able to pause live tv but the time bar does not show any green on it at all no matter how long I let it sit paused.

I can't even fast forward if it's been paused for a while. The odd thing is, if I pause it and then hit play, it will start playing from where it was paused.

If I hit record, it jumps to live tv immediately and still won't let me rewind or fast forward (have let it sit, recording for 5 minutes).

Does this point to a software or hardware issue? Any ideas on fixing this other than restarting the system. I tried that twice already...

EDIT: After letting it record for 10 minutes, I then went to the Now Playing and played the recording I started. Instead of playing from where I started recording, it jumped to live TV. Still can't rewind or fast forward.
jchristian79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
RMBittner

I'm no hardware/software expert, just a TiVo user (Series2 and HDSeries3) for seven years. I've never encountered a problem like this.

I don't know the new Premiere boxes at all, but this sounds like a hardware issue to me -- like a hard-drive failure, perhaps. It could be software related, but I don't think so.

I assume when you say "restart" you mean you've unplugged the unit, let it sit, and then plugged it back in again. (If that's not what you meant, that would be my first suggestion.)

If that doesn't fix the issue, I think you need to have this looked at by a TiVo tech.

Bob
RMBittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
jchristian79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBittner View Post
I'm no hardware/software expert, just a TiVo user (Series2 and HDSeries3) for seven years. I've never encountered a problem like this.

I don't know the new Premiere boxes at all, but this sounds like a hardware issue to me -- like a hard-drive failure, perhaps. It could be software related, but I don't think so.

I assume when you say "restart" you mean you've unplugged the unit, let it sit, and then plugged it back in again. (If that's not what you meant, that would be my first suggestion.)

If that doesn't fix the issue, I think you need to have this looked at by a TiVo tech.

Bob
Thanks for the response. Yes, I unplugged it, let it sit for about 5 minutes and plugged it in. Did that 3 times.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
unitron

Perhaps you have the very unlikely, but not absolutely impossible, situation of the fast forward and rewind buttons on the remote not working, but the rest of the remote still working fine.

Could your 2 year old have dunked the remote in the commode, or could someone have spilled a drink on it?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
jchristian79

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Perhaps you have the very unlikely, but not absolutely impossible, situation of the fast forward and rewind buttons on the remote not working, but the rest of the remote still working fine.

Could your 2 year old have dunked the remote in the commode, or could someone have spilled a drink on it?
Nope. Same issue whether using my harmony remote I've used for the last 6 months or the tivo remote.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:08 AM   #6
bikeryeti

I would do a kick-start 54 to test the hard drives:

1. Restart the box and wait for the green light to come on.

2. When the yellow/amber lights flash irregularly, hold the PAUSE button on the remote. You will have approximately 10 seconds to do this.

3. You will release the the PAUSE button when the yellow/amber and red lights come on.

4. You will have approximately 10 seconds to press 54 on the remote control.

5. If you were successful, the blue light will come on and the the TiVo will reboot. Do not stop the TiVo from rebooting, this is normal, and if it was successful it will bring you to the black and white kickstart screen.

IMPORTANT: Unlike the HD and Series3, you cannot continuously hold down the pause button.

6. Use the directional arrow pad on the TiVo remote to select Run S.M.A.R.T. tests and press SELECT. The TiVo box will begin to run through several diagnostic tests on both the primary (TiVo box) and secondary (DVR Expander) hard drives.
bikeryeti is offline   Reply With Quote