TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #121
IndyJones1023
Documentarianologist

Maybe Lightwave was a separate product starting in 1994, but it was a part of the Amiga Toaster long before that.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #122
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJones1023 View Post
Maybe Lightwave was a separate product starting in 1994, but it was a part of the Amiga Toaster long before that.
Yeah, you're right.

The video toster (bundled with Lightwave) came out in 1990 or 1991, IIRC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #123
IndyJones1023
Documentarianologist

That's what they rendered SeaQuest DSV on.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #124
doom1701
I blue myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man View Post
Look at the "force field" effect. It looks to me like the "cage pattern" was printed on a blue (or green) fabric "flag", with that flag made to wave in a light breeze (e.g. via a fan).
This is the most telling thing to me. Perhaps they could have CGI'ed the field, but the tech at the time couldn't have handled the wavy, ripply effect that the full field had.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #125
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Not correct, per http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/CGI. ILM, Rhythm & Hues, Santa Barbara Studios, Digital Magic, Amblin Imaging and the Post Group all contributed CGI to TNG on a limited basis, mostly in the latter half of the run. The page linked above references several examples of CGI used on TNG.
Some interesting stuff in the article:

Quote:
The relative low capital lay-out (essentially only office space and computers), however, was also partly responsible for the high turnover in number of CGI companies, especially in the early days. As easy as it was to startup a company, it was also as easy to close down companies in such situations as slow business (Amblin, Foundation) or hostile take-overs (Digital Muse). In case of bankruptcy, a specific problem arises, as Lebowitz showed in response to being asked if Star Trek: Voyager could be transferred to High Definition. "When Foundation closed down, the servers – along with the content – were auctioned off. Much of the content may have been saved by artists who worked on the series, but it would have to be tracked down. No matter how you slice it, it would be a considerable amount of work to re-integrate the entire Voyager visual effects server and re-render the FX in HD. In addition, although the series was shot on film, the entire post-production process was finished on NTSC video; to create an HD episode of Voyager, Paramount would have to go back to the vaults, re-transfer the film and re-built the episodes from scratch using the original editing data – if THOSE files still existed."[4] In a similar, earlier case with Digital Muse, Paramount had good sense to retain ownership of the contents, and the entirety of the contents from Digital Muse's server was transferred, one-on-one, to the servers of its successor, Eden FX.
Sounds like a lot of the Voyager (and probably DS9) CGI effects were lost and if they went to HD would have to be recreated from scratch.
I can't imagine Paramount/CBS Video would be willing to foot the bill for it.

Which is also the reason why we won't be seeing an HD version of TMP: The Director's Edition anytime soon.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #126
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Some interesting stuff in the article:

Sounds like a lot of the Voyager (and probably DS9) CGI effects were lost and if they went to HD would have to be recreated from scratch.
I can't imagine Paramount/CBS Video would be willing to foot the bill for it.

Which is also the reason why we won't be seeing an HD version of TMP: The Director's Edition anytime soon.
That seems incredibly short sighted that Paramount would contract out work and fail to retain ownership of all work product. That seems like it would be common sense for anything contracted out.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #127
alansh

Yes, you would think, but these projects are so big that a lot of stuff slips through the cracks and people don't plan for all contingencies. It's sheer luck that a full color copy of TOS's original pilot "The Cage" was found at all (found while cleaning out a film lab in 1987).
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #128
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man View Post
Interesting read.

The most intriguing, I thought was that the "crystiline entity" was CGI. I did not expect that.

However, I highly doubt the Q force field was a CGI effect for several reasons:
I'm relatively certain it is CGI. When it first forms in Farpoint, we see it from behind, looking back at the Enterprise. It's clearly made of three-dimensional elements. You can sort of make that out in this crude animation:

It's not simply a 2D surface with the effect on it. The bars seem to have all the hallmarks of early CGI to me. They're texture-less, and have very flat lighting.

And all it would take to create the waving action is a simple transform of the individual bars in a single direction. Not difficult at all.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #129
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
That seems incredibly short sighted that Paramount would contract out work and fail to retain ownership of all work product. That seems like it would be common sense for anything contracted out.
1. I think the producers' main focus was getting the show out on time so as alansh says, some of this may have slipped through the cracks.

2. Studio Executives haven't exactly been the most forward thinking when it comes to PC technology. In fact, I'd gather that most of them don't "get it" at all. So it's quite possible that they didn't consider all of the ramifications.
Even when you own the company, things can get lost (see JMS and Douglas Netter).

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 01-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #130
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Does anyone know exactly what they did to produce the HD version of TNG? Just cleaned up the films, leaving the special effects in place, or did they re-do the effects too?

On YouTube there was a video of Farpoint that showed several scenes split, one side being the original, the other being the re-do, and they'd move the divider back and forth so you could see the difference.

Thing is, except for slightly better color and sharpness, there didn't seem to be any difference. The ship, the giant alien "jelly fish" creature, everything looked identical.

Did they actually do any new CGI?

Old 01-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #131
mrdbdigital
Nano-Bot Advocate

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
Does anyone know exactly what they did to produce the HD version of TNG? Just cleaned up the films, leaving the special effects in place, or did they re-do the effects too?
Try reading the entire thread.
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #132
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
Try reading the entire thread.
You're so helpful, you of the 131st post.

There are five pages.

Anyone out there willing to give an actual answer?
gastrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #133
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:

There are five pages.

My answer would be the same as his. Why should someone repeat what's been talked about this entire thread? It shouldn't take long to skim 5 pages and find the basic info you're looking for.

ETA: Of course, I'm the guy who thought people should read the 100+ page thread for each Lost episode before smeeking for the 57th time, so take that for what it's worth.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #134
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
My answer would be the same as his...

And my reply would be the same as well.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #135
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:

And my reply would be the same as well.
So I guess you ought to get readin'...
Old 01-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #136
mrdbdigital
Nano-Bot Advocate

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
My answer would be the same as his. Why should someone repeat what's been talked about this entire thread? It shouldn't take long to skim 5 pages and find the basic info you're looking for.
Thanks for the support.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #137
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

There are five pages.

They did already.
It's in this actual thread and has been discussed at length, in this very thread.

It's not their fault that you're too lazy to take a few minutes and actually read it.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #138
mrdbdigital
Nano-Bot Advocate

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
It's not their fault that you're too lazy to take a few minutes and actually read it.
This.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #139
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

You're a great bunch. I ask for a simple answer which would have taken less time to give than all your posts did, and you want to fillet me for daring to ask.

Keep that in mind yourselves in the future when you want someone to update you without you having to spend excessive time learning something from scratch. You're being LAZY, by your own definition.

I disagree, but you made your bed...
gastrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #140
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't want to read your whole post. Can you tell me again what it was about?
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #141
vertigo235

Quote:
You're a great bunch. I ask for a simple answer which would have taken less time to give than all your posts did, and you want to fillet me for daring to ask.

Keep that in mind yourselves in the future when you want someone to update you without you having to spend excessive time learning something from scratch. You're being LAZY, by your own definition.

honestly I don't think we really know the answer about the effects yet

but the live shots are made from cleaned up NEGATIVES which are converted on a NEGATIVE scanner. Emphasis on the NEGATIVES instead of the usual film transfers that they would do on an older show or movie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #142
mrdbdigital
Nano-Bot Advocate

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Oh, Boo! Hoo!

I've generally found it to be good policy to read a thread on a subject I'm interested in to "catch up" on the subject before I jump in. I also generally don't ask questions that are answered in the first page of the thread.

I guess that in your case, participating in the thread means not reading that which was discussed before you entered. It would have taken you maybe 10 minutes to have read the entire thread, even with moving your lips.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #143
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

Wow, a few minutes of reading is "excessive" time?
Please.

You were being excessively lazy and you got called on it.
Instead of going back and doing a little reading, you decided to whine about it and blame everyone else for your failing, taking up even more of your "valuable" time.

Just man up already and admit you were being lazy.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 01-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #144
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I ask for a simple answer which would have taken less time to give than all your posts did, and you want to fillet me for daring to ask.
Of course, if you'd looked through the thread you would have realized what a silly statement this is...
Old 01-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #145
IndyJones1023
Documentarianologist

There are 3 pages!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #146
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

There.....are....four.....lights!

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #147
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
I'm relatively certain it is CGI. When it first forms in Farpoint, we see it from behind, looking back at the Enterprise. It's clearly made of three-dimensional elements.
I'm virtually certain of it. It's 3D, but there's no shadowcasting, and no interaction between between the mesh and the anything else, so it's rock-simple rendering with a low polygon count. I could have done that at the time with DBKTrace on our 7.16 MHz Amiga at the time (although each frame probably would have taken several hours, primarily due to excessively poor floating point performance without an fpu)
kaszeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #148
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
But that's just it - it's not a simple answer. You didn't ask for one specific nugget of info that might have been buried in a thread about a much broader subject. You asked for a synopsis of the subject that the entire thread was about.

So you're asking someone to do that work for you instead of just reading the discussion and catching up.

But you're right - we're the lazy ones.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #149
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
But that's just it - it's not a simple answer. You didn't ask for one specific nugget of info that might have been buried in a thread about a much broader subject. You asked for a synopsis of the subject that the entire thread was about.

So you're asking someone to do that work for you instead of just reading the discussion and catching up.

But you're right - we're the lazy ones.
In other words, gastrof, to answer your question would take a post as long as the entire thread!

Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #150
doom1701
I blue myself!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof
Sorry, I didn't want to read your whole post. Can you tell me again what it was about?

Quote:
<snip>
Did they actually do any new CGI?
Here's a link that will answer your questions.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=475879

OK, being a little less of an ass, here's a post I made after I got a good understanding of what they're doing.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...34#post8891034