TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #271
morac
Cat God

I ended up winning tickets, so I went. The theater was about 2/3 full, but the whole thing seemed like an after thought by the theater. They started 20 minutes late do to "technical difficulties" (namely forgetting to start the projector) and when it ended they never turned on the house lights. I had to use the led flash on my phone to light the way out for people. In my theater I think the average age was somewhere in the 30s. I didn't see really see any teens or kids there except for those who's parents dragged them along.

As for the show itself, here's my thoughts. First off theater screens aren't HD (except for IMAX which this wasn't) so the quality didn't exactly wow me, but I could tell the difference, especially on the effects. The episodes themselves weren't really anything special, the really interesting thing was the hour plus of commentary and behind the scene footage. They showed a kind of making of which showed how they converted to HD as well as recent interviews with the cast and their screen tests which are some of the extras from the Bluray plus introductions from the Okuda's specifically for the theater showing.

Speaking of the extra about the HD conversion, Rod Roddenberry said this was the version his father meant to make and that Gene would have fully endorsed the conversion. That doesn't quite mesh with what Richard Arnold (Gene's friend and assistant) said at a Star Trek con in June. The actors said they were impressed by it though.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #272
Hmm252000

The theater was packed here and sold out when I arrived. People of all ages where there and about 10 in costumes (one in full Klingon makeup). The audience reaction to some of the behind the scenes and "acting" in the two episodes was great. Only things I didn't like were the Star Trek trivia questions they had about 20 minutes before the start. About 5 minutes of questions, so they repeated several times. Plus they played the opening theme on a constant loop. I heard it over a dozen times before they actually started the episodes.
Hmm252000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #273
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I ended up winning tickets, so I went. The theater was about 2/3 full, but the whole thing seemed like an after thought by the theater. They started 20 minutes late do to "technical difficulties" (namely forgetting to start the projector) and when it ended they never turned on the house lights. I had to use the led flash on my phone to light the way out for people. In my theater I think the average age was somewhere in the 30s. I didn't see really see any teens or kids there except for those who's parents dragged them along.
Unfortunately, I've seen this quite a few times with Fathom Events. There was one RiffTrax Live that I went to where the theater ran their in-house pre-show instead of the Fathom pre-show (which is annoying in itself, because Rifftrax does some funny stuff during the preshow)... but then forgot to send someone in to flip over to the satellite feed. Eventually 20 minutes into the show, someone from the audience finally wrangled a projectionist to get their butt into the projection room and fix the problem.

Quote:
As for the show itself, here's my thoughts. First off theater screens aren't HD (except for IMAX which this wasn't) so the quality didn't exactly wow me, but I could tell the difference, especially on the effects.
Theater screens themselves are just screens - there's nothing really special about them. They're all easily capable of the 1080p that these are. The problem is you're blowing 1080p up to be theater sized, which greatly diminishes the visual impact of the HD.

Plus, I would be *highly* surprised if Fathom is really transmitting live over the satellite at 1080p. My guess - you're looking at 1080i at best, but 720p is more likely IMO.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #274
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar
Plus, I would be *highly* surprised if Fathom is really transmitting live over the satellite at 1080p. My guess - you're looking at 1080i at best, but 720p is more likely IMO.
I'm fairly certain this wasn't transmitted over satellite since even though it started 20 minutes late, it started at the beginning (including the ads). Something like this wouldn't require a live feed anyway, plus some theaters had two showings (one at 7 PM and one at midnight). They likely just received a Bluray or whatever they store digital video on for theaters.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #275
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah, I'm going to guess this was on a Blu-ray.

Our theater was also about 2/3rds full. I thought it looked really good, considering how blown up the picture is compared to my TV at home.

I'd never watched a TV show on a big movie screen before. It makes you appreciate the differences in framing between TV and movies. The close-ups seemed way too close.

The audience had some laugh-out-loud moments during the episodes. A few that I remember are the first appearance of a man wearing one of the skirt uniforms. And there's one point in Datalore where Wesley gets up from his station and goes to the turbolift and some no-name person at the tactical station gives him this really goofy look. And then there was Wesley telling his mom "I've heard you know how to turn them on."

We had a really good time. It'd be cool if they did one of these for each season's release. I'd love to see Best of Both Worlds with an audience.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #276
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Gotcha. I was just assuming that it would be satellite delivered, since that's how I believe the Rifftrax Live events are. (I don't think those are delivered on disc... could be, but I kind of doubt it.)
Old 07-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #277
vertigo235

They should be showing this on a on 4K or at worst 2K projectors, much more pixels available than 1080p.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #278
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
They should be showing this on a on 4K or at worst 2K projectors, much more pixels available than 1080p.
The problem is not the projector they're using. The problem is that the source material they would be showing for this event is at most 1080p.

(If you run 1080p material through a 4K or 2K projector, it will probably look *worse,* since it would have to interpolate the "missing" pixels.)
Old 07-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #279
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
The audience had some laugh-out-loud moments during the episodes. A few that I remember are the first appearance of a man wearing one of the skirt uniforms. And there's one point in Datalore where Wesley gets up from his station and goes to the turbolift and some no-name person at the tactical station gives him this really goofy look. And then there was Wesley telling his mom "I've heard you know how to turn them on."
We had about 30 or 40 people in our showing, nobody in costume. I thought about wearing my uniform but chickened out, primarily because it was >100 degrees outside.

The skirt got a good laugh too, having seen these episodes fairly recently, I don't remember him being onscreen for that long before.

Everyone laughed pretty heartily at Kazinsky (or was it Kozinsky?). I got a laugh out of his name every time it was spoken, mainly because of a certain book I also read recently.

For some reason people were ooh'ing and aah'ing over the crystal entity. Granted, it was newly created, but still, it's not THAT impressive. You've seen CGI before, people. Get over it.

Of everyone in the cast, I think LeVar Burton's aged the best. People acted like they hadn't seen Wil Wheaton, because everyone gasped at how much older he'd become. I thought Denise Crosby didn't look the greatest but she looked like she wasn't wearing makeup.

I was most interested in the Season 2 Blu-ray preview. The Borg scenes looked FABULOUS.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #280
Allanon

Side by side comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=MlklrWYsDLY#!
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #281
vertigo235

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
The problem is not the projector they're using. The problem is that the source material they would be showing for this event is at most 1080p.

(If you run 1080p material through a 4K or 2K projector, it will probably look *worse,* since it would have to interpolate the "missing" pixels.)
That is true, my statement was in response to the poster above who said the screens were not HD (except IMAX)

They are greater than HD, although I suspect it is possible that some theater might have displayed it using one of those crappy preshow projectors instead of the main projector. That would certainly not wow me either.

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #282
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
Here's another:
http://youtu.be/fVK0Y9XBgmA

A couple of interesting things about this clip...
1) the aspect ratio of the HD isn't always the same as that of the SD version. You can see many times when things don't line up properly on both sides. Not sure why that is.
2) more interestingly, there is one section where Ensign Redshirt gets frozen that they used a completely different camera angle. In the SD, it's a head and shoulders shot; in the HD, it's a wider shot of the torso on up. In the HD version, you can clearly see them blasting the guy from off camera with a fire extinguisher or something similar.

Last edited by LoadStar : 07-24-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #283
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
That is true, my statement was in response to the poster above who said the screens were not HD (except IMAX)

They are greater than HD, although I suspect it is possible that some theater might have displayed it using one of those crappy preshow projectors instead of the main projector. That would certainly not wow me either.
I'd be surprised if the projector where morac was watching *wasn't* in HD of some kind. It probably just didn't look like HD to him, because this presentation took what was at best 1080p resolution and blew it up to theater size. This wouldn't look all that spectacular, even if the projector were a 4K unit.

I'm wasn't too bothered that I wasn't able to see this presentation exactly for this reason.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #284
DLiquid
Progressive User

I remember watching the Battlestar Galactica Razor TV movie in a theater and thinking it looked kind of pixelated. I was wishing I sat further back. Coincidentally, I just saw The Dark Knight Rises in digital (DLP) on that same screen, and it looked fantastic.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #285
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar

I'd be surprised if the projector where morac was watching *wasn't* in HD of some kind. It probably just didn't look like HD to him, because this presentation took what was at best 1080p resolution and blew it up to theater size. This wouldn't look all that spectacular, even if the projector were a 4K unit.

I'm wasn't too bothered that I wasn't able to see this presentation exactly for this reason.
That could be it. Plus the fact that the theater wasn't well designed. It was narrow and long, with normal seating in the front and stadium in the back. I was in the back, so I was a good ways away from the screen. Like I mentioned, there was a difference, but not a Wow factor. I normally don't go to this theater.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #286
alansh

Some Fathom events are via satellite -- at the last Rifftracks live, I saw the DirecTV logo when they switched it on.

Anyway, I did enjoy it, despite the first season scripts. I did see one guy in uniform, and one guy with a tribble. My theater was pretty full -- the ushers asked people to move in to make space.

Yeah, the poor guy in the "skant" got a laugh in my theater too.

The second season preview did look really good.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #287
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansh View Post
Some Fathom events are via satellite -- at the last Rifftracks live, I saw the DirecTV logo when they switched it on.
The reason you probably saw the DirecTV logo was because the theater probably has a DirecTV tuner as one of the possible sources they can project. A lot of theaters will do this so that they are ready in case they want to buy rights to show a big game on the big screen. That doesn't mean anything about Fathom or Rifftrax.

(If Fathom Events *are* delivered via satellite, they're definitely not coming in from a DirecTV bird. My guess is that they would be likely on an encrypted Ku- band feed.)

ETA: yes, NCM Fathom does deliver via satellite. My guess is that with the TNG event, it was transmitted in advance, and just saved to some sort of storage at the theater for later playback.

Last edited by LoadStar : 07-25-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #288
alansh

A little Googling turned up this theatre's setup
Quote:
For the NCM Fathom service, four new components were added:
-- DishTV VIP722 DVR satellite receiver and recorder
-- ECI-60 Electronic Cinema Interface with Dolby Digital decoder
-- TOSLINK switch for selecting digital audio sources
-- Slingbox SOLO for Internet connection to NCM Fathom control center
Really, at the Rifftrax show it did look like they were tuning to a private satellite channel, though apparently it's Dish and not Directv. Didn't note the channel number, unfortunately, but I'm sure it's only authorized to the NCM clients' receivers. Since the receiver is a DVR, they can record shows for playing later.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #289
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
(If Fathom Events *are* delivered via satellite, they're definitely not coming in from a DirecTV bird. My guess is that they would be likely on an encrypted Ku- band feed.)
DirecTV does, or at least they used to, provide corporate feeds for individual companies. They have a business division for these services, which do not show up on consumer menu's. We had such services when we used DirecTV for game feeds when I was the video engineer at Philips Arena in Atlanta.
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #290
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I sit corrected.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #291
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
DirecTV does, or at least they used to, provide corporate feeds for individual companies. They have a business division for these services, which do not show up on consumer menu's.
Still do -- and actually, the private corporate channels do show up on consumer devices when they're active, they're just not tunable. For example, right now, I can see "9545 Seminole Tribe," but I get the "not subscribed" error when trying to tune to it.

In checking this out, it turns out that I can see Channel 9547, a looping message from DirecTV CEO Mike White, intended for DirecTV employees, talking about the Viacom agreement. ("We should all be extremely proud of what we've accomplished together.")
Old 07-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #292
DougF

Didn't search, so I don't know if this got posted yet. Season 1 is only $59.99 at Amazon, which I believe is a price match from Best Buy.

They do look amazing. I'm starting to rethink my earlier "not worth it" stance.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #293
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Some people are saying there are audio sync issues with 7 of the episodes on the Blu-rays.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #294
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie
Some people are saying there are audio sync issues with 7 of the episodes on the Blu-rays.
I haven't noticed any audio sync issues, but I only watched Encounter at Far Point and the bloopers. Supposedly it's only affecting some players. There is another audio issue which honestly I didn't notice. The only thing I noticed was the audio appeared to be soft.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#072512a
Quote:
Okay, just a quick update re: CBS's Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One Blu-ray set. There is a confirmed audio issue that affects 7 episodes in the set - Encounter at Farpoint, Hide and Q, The Big Goodbye, Datalore, 11001001 and Too Short a Season. (Naturally, none of the episodes I watched prior to my review!) The impact is that in the DTS 7.1 mixes for these episodes, character dialogue that should normally be in the center channel is also mixed into the front left and right channels. The other episodes are unaffected. However, there's a secondary audio issue being reported as well in which the PCM audio for some of the extra features on Disc One and Disc Six plays out of sync on at least some models of Blu-ray player. CBS has begun investigating both issues. As soon as we get some kind of official word from them as to what they find to be the cause and how they're going to fix the problems, we'll let you all know.

Someone mentioned the audio syncing issues (other than the one in Haven) aren't consistently reproducible, which could be a player firmware or receiver problem:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1269677/st...#post_22254177

Last edited by morac : 07-27-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #295
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

http://www.startrek.com/article/tng-blu-ray-audio-fix

Audio issues affecting several episodes in the Star Trek: The Next Generation -- Season One Blu-ray set are being dealt with promptly. CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Media Distribution issued a statement today describing the problems and the steps they’re taking to resolve them. The instructions below are for US fans. Instructions for international fans are forthcoming. The statement reads as follows:

Dear Star Trek Fans,

We have discovered an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track in our Star Trek: The Next Generation Season One Blu-ray Box set. There are some episodes that inadvertently had their front channel designations incorrectly mapped, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to them in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment.

We are quickly working to remedy the situation. Replacement discs (Disc 1, 3 and 4) will be made available free of charge. Please email phe.stng@bydeluxe.com for details regarding the replacement program. You may also call 877-DELUXE6 (877-335-8936) between 8am to 6pm Pacific, Monday-Friday.

We strive to provide our fans the best Blu-ray experience possible and sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #296
morac
Cat God

I called in and requested replacement disks. They just need the character code on the inner ring on the back of any of the disks (the one that begins with "SL"). The code is hard to read unless the light hits it at the right angle. Once I got the code though, the rest was easy. Just call the number, wait on hold (about 15 minutes), tell the operator you want replacement disks (say "yes" when asked if you have problems with the audio) and give the code and your address. That's it. There's nothing to mail in. I was told disks will be mailed out within 5 days after Aug 10th.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9223
Old 11-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #297
alansh

Just saw the Season 2 in-theater presentation. They showed "Q Who?" and "Measure of a Man", along with some making-of material, more of the cast reunion, and some bloopers.

"Measure of a Man" was the extended cut. Melinda Snodgrass related the story behind it. Because the script was so dialogue-heavy, it ran much longer than they expected. They didn't realize this until they completed the rough edit and found it was about 10 minutes too long. So the broadcast version had some of the scenes cut. However, it sounds like the cast and crew really loved this episode, and someone snuck her a VHS copy of the rough edit (no music or effects).

Using her copy as a guide, the restoration crew recreated that edit. Fortunately they've been pretty good at finding all the original camera negatives, and fortunately the original crew didn't realize how long the script was until after they shot all the scenes.

There's one notable scene where Picard is trying to get Data to tell Picard about himself to build his case, and Data tells him his service history is in the computer. Picard asks Data to tell him anyway, but just gets a factual list of Data's service. Picard says he could get that from the computer. "Isn't that what I just said, sir?" Picard, of course, wants something deeper.

This is definitely one of the best episodes of the series, and it holds up very well. I'm glad they were content to stick to the Data story and not insert a "danger to the ship" B plot.

The other episode was the big effects episode, "Q Who?" with the introduction of the Borg. The 1080p transfer looks fabulous. They showed a bit of the behind-the-scenes. The actual Borg set was pretty small, they made it look bigger by having the actors go past the same section multiple times. And it was used as an insert into the fabulous matte painting of the Borg ship interior.

In the cast interview, Gates was quite frank that she was fired for complaining about scripts in the first season. She singled out "Angel One" and I have to admit I agree with her.

The blooper reel looked like it was taken from the full 35mm frame, and yes, there was a lot of them with studio clutter around the edge that wouldn't have been visible in the TV frame but makes them unsuitable for any wider aspect ratio. TNG was shot for 4:3 and that's what it'll be. Deal with it.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #298
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
The other episode was the big effects episode, "Q Who?" with the introduction of the Borg. The 1080p transfer looks fabulous. They showed a bit of the behind-the-scenes. The actual Borg set was pretty small, they made it look bigger by having the actors go past the same section multiple times. And it was used as an insert into the fabulous matte painting of the Borg ship interior.
Did you notice they also added some CGI Borg wandering around on the other side of the frame? I also saw some movement deep into the painting as well, small touches.

My favorite bloopers in the reels have always been when Michael Dorn giggles. Seeing Worf giggle has to be one of the most entertaining things in the world.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #299
morac
Cat God

Season 2 is being blasted online as being a sub-par conversion, especially when compared to season 1. Apparently CBS farmed out the conversion to a 3rd party studio (HTV-Illuminate).
Old 12-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #300
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

In the cast interview, Gates was quite frank that she was fired for complaining about scripts in the first season. She singled out "Angel One" and I have to admit I agree with her.
While it's certainly a plausible explanation, it seemed that she was considered pretty much persona non grata by the producers afterwards.

This is glaringly obvious in First Contact.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote