TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #1
smbaker

Hannibal, are you still watching it? [spoilers]

During the first three episodes, this became one of my favorite shows. I loved the actors. I loved the characters. It felt intellectual and emotional.

However, lately it's just been in a death spiral for me. It maintains the level of creepiness that it had in the beginning, yet it's becoming predictable, unrealistic, and just plain boring at times.

Take the most recent episode for example. Will Graham suffering from lost time. Hannibal and some other doctor conspire to not inform him of this. Immediately, you know that Hannibal is going to kill the other doctor and frame the girl. It's just a given.

Before that, we had human totem pole killer, with some convoluted motivation that really didn't make any sense.

Before that, the musician killer. Another episode where it was obvious that Hannibal was just going to kill the killer. Not really any drama. It was all revealed to us in slow obvious detail.

The entire Abigail story arc has been flat ever since she was revealed to be a killer. Hannibal knows she is a killer. She knows Hannibal is the guy who made the phone call. Graham knows that Hannibal helped her conceal the evidence of the man she killed.

It feels to me like a combination of subpar 'monster of the week' episodes mixed with these boring slow drawn out predictable multi-episode story arcs.

Other people, are you still enjoying this series?
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #2
robojerk

still watching and enjoying.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
sharkster

Still watching, but I have one episode sitting there to watch. I keep having stuff I want to watch more.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i don't know where it will rank on my "list" of favorites this year, but i still find the show engaging, and look forward to new episodes. that's despite the flaws you pointed out (and i agree with).

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I don't object to the show being somewhat predictable within the confines of a single episode. I certainly wouldn't have predicted a couple of weeks ago, however, that he would have Anti-NMDA Encephalitis or even any brain issue at all. Nor do I find it easy to precisely predict how things will unfold, even if the broad strokes within an episode are obvious.

Even forgetting whether things are predictable, I am really enjoying the arc of the show. The slow descent by Will aided by the intentional tightening of the screws by Hannibal.

Perhaps most important to me of all is the fact that the show is absolutely gorgeous to look at; for that reason alone it will take a lot for me to not like the show anymore.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
billypritchard
Embiggener

My biggest problem with the last episode was the tv-coincidence of the girl's psychological issues mirroring Will's current issues. Too tidy.

Otherwise I love the atmosphere and acting and direction and all that. Great to watch.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
My biggest problem with the last episode was the tv-coincidence of the girl's psychological issues mirroring Will's current issues. Too tidy.

Otherwise I love the atmosphere and acting and direction and all that. Great to watch.
I'm not actually sure what you mean about the mirroring here. Will did not have Cotard's syndrome.

There have been episodes where the killer's mental condition has mirrored Will's but I didn't see it this episode.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
mattack

Still watching.. very gory.. like I said before, it's amazing to me that the show about Norman Bates is the least creepy of the 3 new shows this season.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

Watching it. Loving it. Thrilled it got renewed.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
tiellv
Pluviophile

I'm still watching. I like Jack and Hannibal but I'm so tired of Will and his personal demons.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
Craigbob

I've got them all recorded and just need to find the time to watch them.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #12
latrobe7
Just one more thing

Love this show.
latrobe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:48 AM   #13
dagojr
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by latrobe7 View Post
Love this show.
Me too, hope it gets renewed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dagojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:55 AM   #14
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

It's already been renewed.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Though, based on what's happened so far, my wife and I both wonder what they are going to do in the second season because the screws are already really tight with one episode left this season.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #16
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Though, based on what's happened so far, my wife and I both wonder what they are going to do in the second season because the screws are already really tight with one episode left this season.
I wonder too. It doesn't seem like Will Graham and Hannibal can both continue to freely exist for much longer. Will has to be on the verge of revealing Hannibal as a killer.

Maybe Will's neurological or psychological issues will delete a portion of his recent memory.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
mattack

Without giving away tons of spoilers (except those that have aired in the TV show), can someone explain if there was ANY overlap with the movie version of the original book?

I know this is based on one specific book, I'm just wondering if the "Graham and Hannibal work together and Hannibal is his psychologist" thing is the main thrust of the movie too... or if this is a lot different.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #18
Craigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Without giving away tons of spoilers (except those that have aired in the TV show), can someone explain if there was ANY overlap with the movie version of the original book?

I know this is based on one specific book, I'm just wondering if the "Graham and Hannibal work together and Hannibal is his psychologist" thing is the main thrust of the movie too... or if this is a lot different.
There are references/call backs to things in Red Dragon, but in reality this series is concerned with events that take place before that book/Movies.

IMO it's a lot different since in the books Graham and Lecter only met once or twice. The supposition that they worked together and Lecter was his shrink is not in the books at all.

So the movies have very little in common with the series save for some characters.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #19
rahnbo

Excellent finale! I think this has become one of my favorite shows.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #20
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

Aside from just loving the show, the cinematography is exquisite. Every time it ends I want more. Bummed it's over for the season but very much looking forward to next season.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #21
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

No one watching this season? They're telling it backwards. It's pretty great.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #22
squint

I'm watching.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #23
mattack

Still way gory. I really wish there were a less gory version!
Old 04-04-2014, 06:42 AM   #24
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Telling it backwards? Not really... unless I'm missing something. We just know something that will be happening soon.

I'm still really enjoying it. I do feel like it's a bit constrained at the moment, but in a way that has allowed the show to focus more on Hannibal, which I guess makes sense since it's called Hannibal and not Graham.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #25
bryhamm
randomize

Yeah, I don't get the "telling it backwards" description

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #26
mr.unnatural

This has got to be the most surreal show on TV, not to mention possibly the darkest show to hit prime time ever. Great acting, great cast, and topnotch production values. Mads Mikkelson is spot on as Hannibal Lector. The latest episode reminded me of the scene from the movie "The Cell" with the horse, although I was bummed that they bumped off Beverly.

As for being too gory, I don't see how it could be any other way considering the storyline and the fact that the main character is a cannibal. With so many shows focusing on serial killers these days, it's nice to see a new take on the genre with a familiar character.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #27
sharkster

I'm still enjoying the show. I just cannot look away. Besides, I also agree that the acting is top notch. Mads Mikkelsen is beyond Hannibal Lector. He just amazes me every second I'm watching him. He epitomizes creepy in every way and all I see with him is Hannibal Lector.

Dancy is great. I just really like the guy no matter what he does. This is the first time I've seen Mikkelsen in anything (that I know of) and this guy should have an Emmy.

Yeah, there is no way to not have it be gory. I think the network does a really good job with this, all things considered. Imagine if it were on HBO or SHO.

I would imagine that anybody with delicate sensibilities about blood and gore would probably stay away, even at seeing the title of the show.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #28
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee 2.0 View Post
No one watching this season? They're telling it backwards. It's pretty great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Telling it backwards? Not really... unless I'm missing something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
Yeah, I don't get the "telling it backwards" description
i understood "backwards" to refer to the timeline. the season premier started in present time, then transitioned to flashback for the rest of the season (so far), showing us how everything unfolded. i'm liking it, too.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #29
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

This show is fantastic. Gory, but moreso unbelievably creepy. And I think that, at this point, the actors are completely redefining some rather classic film roles.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #30
ADG
Allan

For the most point I enjoy the show, but I really HATE the artsy directing and dream / fantasy sequences. Enough. We get it - Will is struggling with reality - point made. Move on, please.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote