TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
smbaker

Extant Season 2 Thread

Anyone still watching?

My wife likes S2 better than S1. For me though, after watching S02E02, I'm finding it almost unwatchable.

The husband is gone. Some new cop is introduced. Most of the cast seems to have undergone radical personality shifts. The governor showed up and is launching drone strikes against civilians only we already know it the alien will pull some deus ex machina and stare down the drone and cause it to fall out of the sky rather than blow up Halle Berry.

I'm not sure why there's a robot kid still in the series, other than to serve as a transition to the new hand-crushing fembot which seems to have been introduced as an adult even though the entire first season beat us over the head with insisting the robots need to raised since birth.

I enjoy under the dome better. At least under the dome knows it's crap and embraces its crappiness.

smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #2
robojerk

Ethan, Julie, and Charlie are still in it because it's pretty obvious that the new humanich, Lucy, is intended to handle the Offspering and his kind, (also terrorists?). Lucy whom never learned a moral code from living with humans and instead is using a newly (probably untested in the real world) programmed algorithm for morals will go astray, maybe see her human handlers as inferior, maybe develop feelings for the Offspring since they did make it a point that Lucy was designed to appear similar to John's wife Molly, and the Offspring is kind of a momma's boy, so it fits if the plot happened that he would hesitate when seeing the humanich, and instead try to bond with it.

I'm not enjoying this as much as season 1.. The plot is crazy, and I applaud the creators/writers for trying, and will give it a few more episodes to see how I feel. Season 1 the plot felt more grounded in the husband John's story line dealing with Ethan, it was a nice break from Molly's baby drama and hallucinations, it felt a bit much at times.. I guess to me anyway, robot children are more believable than alien spores impregnating women astronauts.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I guess to me anyway, robot children are more believable than alien spores impregnating women astronauts.
Either plot seems viable to me, depending on the execution. The android child plotline seems more grounded in near-term technology, we could actually start making such things and there would be moral dilemmas involved. There's constraints on what robotics can accomplish.

The alien spore plot makes it too convenient to pull random plot devices out of a hat. There's no grounding in reality. The alien has superpowers. I don't think Extant's writers can handle that level of responsibility.

smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:31 PM   #4
JYoung
Series 3

Molly was ready to jump the bones of her son.

Ick.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:27 PM   #5
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

Very good episode.

DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

this season continues to surprise me, i've enjoyed the story direction more than expected, and the casting of jeffrey dean morgan has been a good fit.

it won the time slot in total viewers this week, but still not doing great with the 18-49 share - i hope it's renewed.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:59 AM   #7
cheesesteak
Meh.

This season is better than the first. I'm still watching the same week the episode airs.

Pure applesauce flavored jiggery-pokery
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:36 AM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I find the idea of the human race facing alien hybrids and AI robots (and them facing each other) at the same time interesting, but the execution could have been a whole lot better.

Still watching, but I really won't miss it if/when it goes away.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #9
stellie93

I actually think the AI robots part is better than the stupid alien part. It brings up questions about the rights and freedoms of man made creatures, and how human-like we want to make them. Back to issues with Data, or BSG. It never ends well.

And the kid is such a good actor.

stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #10
Cainebj

I still think it's a big bag of suck but less sucky this season than last season.
I deleted the season pass and then for some unknown reason Undeleted it and kept watching

I am sitting here wondering if Goran Visnjic got fired or if he left because he wanted to...

It also just occurred to me there hasn't even been mention of Camryn Manheim.
Did she die last season? cos if she did I totally forgot.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:34 AM   #11
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I find the idea of the human race facing alien hybrids and AI robots (and them facing each other) at the same time interesting, but the execution could have been a whole lot better.
Yeah... it was, esp. w/the overconfidence the hybrids had given they didn't know what they were dealing with. They expected humans to come, which they could easily handle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I actually think the AI robots part is better than the stupid alien part. It brings up questions about the rights and freedoms of man made creatures, and how human-like we want to make them. Back to issues with Data, or BSG. It never ends well.

And the kid is such a good actor.
Yeah... the rights issues and the cautionary tale about letting robots and AI make life and death decisions on their own is a good one. It's quite topical given its resurgence in the media lately, esp. w/warnings from folks like Elon Musk, Bill Gates and Stephen Hawking (http://www.cnet.com/news/bill-gates-...elligence-too/).

As someone who majored in computer science and works in technology for a living, I too have concerns about autonomous systems going awry, maybe not to the point of Cylons or Skynet, but still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
i've enjoyed the story direction more than expected, and the casting of jeffrey dean morgan has been a good fit.
Ditto on the 1st point. As the latter, I'd never even heard of him before. But then again, I don't watch most network prime time shows. I had to look up who he was playing...

cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #12
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
...I'd never even heard of him before. But then again, I don't watch most network prime time shows. I had to look up who he was playing...
i know of him from his sporadic sci-fi performances, most notably:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jdm.jpg (39.5 KB, 86 views)

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:19 AM   #13
AeneaGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
i know of him from his sporadic sci-fi performances, most notably:

I know him from Grey's Anatomy and Supernatural...

AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:49 AM   #14
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeneaGames View Post
I know him from Grey's Anatomy and Supernatural...

The movie, "The Losers".

Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #15
jlb
NCC-1701-D

I've sort of let my watching lag on this one. I've deleted my SP. With the new Fall season coming I don't see catching up on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #16
Cainebj

The thing that astounds me the most about Extant is the supporting cast.

It's like when bad TV happens to good actors.

And damn - can't anyone who was good on The Walking Dead catch a break?

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote