Bob Coxner

Craig Ferguson to host new talk show

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/crai...ve-1201283991/
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Hmm. At least in this area, if not a majority of the central time zone, the 6:00 pm CT (7:00 pm ET) newscast is one of the major local newscasts. If you're not doing a 6:00 pm newscast, that's basically a sign that your station has given up competing for local news viewers altogether.

I'm wondering how this is going to play on a station like WITI-TV, Tribune's Milwaukee FOX affiliate, which has a reasonably competitive newscast followed by TMZ, which flows well into FOX prime-time programming. I don't see them wanting to give up either for a program foisted upon them by Tribune. Frankly, I don't see a good slot for this on WITI at all... even the 10:35 pm slot has a surprisingly well rated "Seinfeld" syndicated broadcast. Maybe 11:05 pm?
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
mattack

That is a freaking WEIRD idea. Why would he walk away from the "big time" to this? Maybe CBS actually wouldn't let him renew after they knew Letterman was leaving?

(BTW, Letterman is the only one of the late night shows I "sort of" watch all the way through.. I say sort of since I have TONS recorded in SD I haven't watched.. and sometimes I listen to it instead like a podcast.. But I record basically ALL of the late night shows, and FF through the others for the couple of funny recurring bits or musical guests.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
That is a freaking WEIRD idea. Why would he walk away from the "big time" to this? Maybe CBS actually wouldn't let him renew after they knew Letterman was leaving?
My guess is *potential* big money and creative control. If you hit it big with a syndicated show, and he would own this one, then you make the big dollahs. That's how Oprah became wealthy.

In reality, he probably has a much better chance of making big money with his new game show.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:35 PM   #5
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Hmm. At least in this area, if not a majority of the central time zone, the 6:00 pm CT (7:00 pm ET) newscast is one of the major local newscasts. If you're not doing a 6:00 pm newscast, that's basically a sign that your station has given up competing for local news viewers altogether.

I'm wondering how this is going to play on a station like WITI-TV, Tribune's Milwaukee FOX affiliate, which has a reasonably competitive newscast followed by TMZ, which flows well into FOX prime-time programming. I don't see them wanting to give up either for a program foisted upon them by Tribune. Frankly, I don't see a good slot for this on WITI at all... even the 10:35 pm slot has a surprisingly well rated "Seinfeld" syndicated broadcast. Maybe 11:05 pm?
Agreed. Very strange idea by TMS. Any station willing to put on an unknown syndicated show at 7/6 pm is a station that basically has no viewers, since any station worth its salt has its most lucrative programming in that slot already.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:23 AM   #6
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Tribune's station here, WJW "Fox 8", has a 7 PM newscast that seems to work well. It flows out of their 4-7 PM news block.

This would apparently be just a half hour show, and is designed to be paired with either a sitcom or with Ferguson's own "Celebrity Name Game".

Here, "Fox 8 News at 7" is followed by "Big Bang Theory" at 7:30. "Name Game" will air starting this fall on another station, the local NBC affiliate, at 3:30 PM.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:33 AM   #7
Inundated
Face For Radio

"Celebrity Name Game" isn't on WJW because Tribune's group deal to carry it happened before Tribune bought the former Local TV LLC stations (including WJW and the aforementioned WITI in Milwaukee).

Trivia I didn't know: "Celebrity Name Game" is being produced by Courteney Cox and David Arquette's production company.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ed-game-651204
Old 08-16-2014, 05:16 AM   #8
realityboy

It's an ambitious choice for Tribune. I don't see this getting picked up by very many non-Tribune stations the first year. If it's a hit, others will jump on board, but trying an unproven concept at that time is a tough sell.

I remember a few years back when Deal or No Deal started the syndicated version, the station I was at thought it would be a hit. They put it at 7 & 7:30. Needless to say, that didn't last too long.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #9
Inundated
Face For Radio

Arsenio bombed for the Tribune stations, from what I heard.

He may have done a little better here (his hometown), but not by much. Even Fox 8 moved him to 11:30, swapping him with "Big Bang Theory"...which now airs at 11, right after the highly rated "Fox 8 News at 10".
Old 08-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #10
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

He may have done a little better here (his hometown), but not by much. Even Fox 8 moved him to 11:30, swapping him with "Big Bang Theory"...which now airs at 11, right after the highly rated "Fox 8 News at 10".
At 11 he would be up against the news and The Daily Show. At 11:30 he's up against Letterman/Kimmel/Fallon/Colbert. Neither time slot is a good place to start a new, unproven show. And TBBT is the highest-rated syndicated program on TV, so if a station has rights to that, of course it's going to get time slot preference over an unproven show.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #11
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

Here in LA, the Tribune station is also the CW station.
Arsenio was always on at 11 PM here (and he failed once again to kick Jay Leno's ass).

I don't know what they'll put in that slot in the Fall but the 7 to 8 PM time slot currently shows reruns of Two and a Half Men.

But it is a bit of an odd move for Ferguson and I definitely would be interesting in hearing more on the "Why?" of this move.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #12
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Here in LA, the Tribune station is also the CW station.
Arsenio was always on at 11 PM here (and he failed once again to kick Jay Leno's ass).

I don't know what they'll put in that slot in the Fall but the 7 to 8 PM time slot currently shows reruns of Two and a Half Men.

But it is a bit of an odd move for Ferguson and I definitely would be interesting in hearing more on the "Why?" of this move.
It's called being forced out and the NEW CBS late night similar to whats going on at the View.

Perhaps he did not want to be affiliated with anybody besides Worldwide Pants as well.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:22 PM   #13
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Perhaps he did not want to be affiliated with anybody besides Worldwide Pants as well.
i suspected as much when his departure was announced, he appears to have a very close relationship with dave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
i thought it might be more related to craig's show being produced by letterman. now that dave is leaving, maybe cbs, dave and craig couldn't reach a deal to switch production companies.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #14
Bettamojo5
Rolling Along

At 7:00 pm here in Indianapolis he will be up against Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy. The most popular family time TV hour. I like Craig, but I don't see this working.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #15
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettamojo5 View Post
At 7:00 pm here in Indianapolis he will be up against Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy.
I think that's true of most of the country.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:49 AM   #16
Inundated
Face For Radio

"Wheel" is on at 7 here weeknights. It recently moved from the ABC affiliate to the CBS affiliate.