TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
waynomo
My One Time

The Big Bang Theory [02/07/2013] - "The Spoiler Alert Segmentation"

Is this the first time we have seen Howard's mom? Granted it was just a fleeting glimpse of (a big) body and then 2 arms later on.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

What a beautifully constructed episode.

Definitely my favorite from the post-Amy and Bernie time period.

P.S. I also saw Howard's mom's hair.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Is this the first time we have seen Howard's mom? Granted it was just a fleeting glimpse of (a big) body and then 2 arms later on.
I believe it was. There's a lot of Howard's mom to love!
verdugan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
scottjf8
Dada and Kaya.

Quote:
I think we saw a glimpse of her during howie and Bernie's wedding
Old 02-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #5
replaytv
LovesPanda licorice

I wonder sometimes what Leonard needs Sheldon for. Seem like a one way relationship.

It is interesting the networks careful avoidance of exactly what afflicts Sheldon to cause him to act the way that he does. Same with Monk.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:57 AM   #6
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
It is interesting the networks careful avoidance of exactly what afflicts Sheldon to cause him to act the way that he does. Same with Monk.
Do we really need to know?

This felt like a BBT version of a Friends type script. I don't know how to explain it, but it didn't "feel" like a BBT episode to me, but some other generic comedy.

I also can't believe that Leonard never read the Harry Potter books before this.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #7
tigercat74
Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Do we really need to know?

This felt like a BBT version of a Friends type script. I don't know how to explain it, but it didn't "feel" like a BBT episode to me, but some other generic comedy.

I also can't believe that Leonard never read the Harry Potter books before this.
Or saw the movies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
tigercat74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
We saw her in a satellite photo once (during the wedding).
Old 02-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was wondering if he had ever referenced reading or seeing them before and they just forgot.

I will also add that as a big reader of science fiction reader, watcher of movies and such - I have not read the books or seen the movies past the first one. After seeing the first one I had no interest in the rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I was wondering if he had ever referenced reading or seeing them before and they just forgot.

I will also add that as a big reader of science fiction reader, watcher of movies and such - I have not read the books or seen the movies past the first one. After seeing the first one I had no interest in the rest.
Well, of course , now that BBT has spoiled it regarding Dumbledore and Dobby.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrumpneuma View Post
Is it just me or did penny seem drunk?
And what about that hair?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Spud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #12
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjf8 View Post
I think we saw a glimpse of her during howie and Bernie's wedding
Not really...it was a overhead head long shot and all we saw was this...

Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #13
MikeCC
TiVotee

What I found a bit jarring was the inconsistency of Sheldon's behavior, despite his characterization as someone who is obsessively consistent.

Sheldon discussed the death of Dumbledore with Leonard, even though Sheldon KNEW Leonard was reading HP for the first time.

How often have we seen Sheldon get upset at anything that may hint at information about something upcoming... (oh, something like some of us here, maybe?) Remember the comic book store, when Stuart told him the new Flash was mind-blowing? Sheldon threw his patented hissy-fit, saying the comment told him something about the excitement and surprise to come.

Even in ordinary day-to-day conversations, Sheldon has often cautioned "Spoiler Alert!" to signal to others that they are giving away too much information.

So, for Sheldon to be indifferent to Leonard's complaint is inconsistent to me.

BTW, I loved AFF getting upset with Sheldon, spelling out point by point exactly what she found upsetting. And I loved Sheldon being totally at a loss with her.

Notice how both Penny and Sheldon understood their own discomfort with the potential apartment rooming arrangements. And neither Sheldon nor Penny tried to end their relationships.... a far cry from earlier in the series, when both bolted rather than dealing with their significant others.

I'm not sure where the series is going with this, but I thought it showed surprising character growth.
MikeCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
I've never seen nor read Harry Potter, at all. Originally it was that I saw it as a cheesy kids book... since then, I just never got around to it. I don't find it at all unusual that he might be the same.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
I can grant that premise, however begrudgingly, but what I can't believe is that someone as immersed and plugged into geek culture as Leonard wouldn't have known that Dumbledore dies in that book.

I've never read the books, and even I knew. I'm pretty sure I knew before I had even seen the first movie (and if not the first then definitely before the second).

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I wonder sometimes what Leonard needs Sheldon for.
Why just in general would 2 "adult" college professors with doctorate degrees need to share an apartment? I suppose Sheldon is dependent on someone, but agreed it makes no sense for Leonard.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Why just in general would 2 "adult" college professors with doctorate degrees need to share an apartment? I suppose Sheldon is dependent on someone, but agreed it makes no sense for Leonard.
Based on last week's thread, we don't know that they're professors. They most resemble post-docs, although their tenure as a post-doc is unusually long. If they are post-docs, it would make sense that they share an apartment.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #18
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
What I found a bit jarring was the inconsistency of Sheldon's behavior, despite his characterization as someone who is obsessively consistent.
I agree with your observation, but I have learned to live with these inconsistencies in sitcoms. The characters are malleable. This is not the first time they have done this. I get over by realizing it is all for entertainment value. YMMV.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Based on last week's thread, we don't know that they're professors.
Based on reality (which, of course, may not apply), we know for sure that they're not professors. They don't do any of the things that comprise a professor's work-load, especially early in a career where the grunt-work involved in getting tenure is important (they would be spending every waking moment teaching, publishing, and doing committee work).

A TV show about a bunch of tenure-track professors would be very, very dull. It could be the reason they're stuck in the post-doc world is they're just not willing to make the sacrifices necessary for a successful academic career.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #20
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Based on last week's thread, we don't know that they're professors. They most resemble post-docs, although their tenure as a post-doc is unusually long. If they are post-docs, it would make sense that they share an apartment.
Ok. Just call me "Dr. Dumbass." I guess I just made an assumption. I don't understand the post-doc process. (Care to explain?)

Now Wikipedia says the Sheldon worked as a visiting professor at age 15 and oddly enough there is a linkedin page for Leonard saying he is an Associate Professor. (I am not sure what that is exactly.)

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/leonard-...ter/56/496/50a
Old 02-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #21
pmyers

Loved it, but even my wife said there is no way Leonard would be behind on Walking Dead! lol
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #22
Sadara
huh?

Quote:

So, for Sheldon to be indifferent to Leonard's complaint is inconsistent to me.
I find Sheldon to be indifferent to others complaints quite a bit!!

I loved this episode quite a bit.
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #23
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
....So, for Sheldon to be indifferent to Leonard's complaint is inconsistent to me....
It's TOTALLY consistent with his narcissistic behavior....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #24
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I didn't like this episode. And I've been a big fan of this season's work.

It just didn't hit for me. It felt forced.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #25
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Ok. Just call me "Dr. Dumbass." I guess I just made an assumption. I don't understand the post-doc process. (Care to explain?)

Now Wikipedia says the Sheldon worked as a visiting professor at age 15 and oddly enough there is a linkedin page for Leonard saying he is an Associate Professor. (I am not sure what that is exactly.)

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/leonard-...ter/56/496/50a
Post-doc is a temp job you get after your doctorate for a specific period (usually a year) to work on a specific project. It's usually a stepping stone to a tenure-track job.

Assistant Professor is the first step on the tenure-track. You're busy as hell with the grunt-work none of the tenured faculty want to do.

Associate Professor means you've gotten tenure, but you're still not top of the heap.

Full Professor is top of the heap.

Visiting Lecturer is a temp, non-tenure-track teaching job.

Visiting Professor is something Sheldon couldn't be....it's a professor of some kind taking a temp job somewhere other than his home institution. Sheldon is clearly not a professor yet. He could have been a visiting lecturer (I've been one, so obviously it's not a big deal), but not at age 15 (he would have to have had his doctorate).
Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #26
Rosincrans
mad north-north-west

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post

I've never read the books, and even I knew. I'm pretty sure I knew before I had even seen the first movie (and if not the first then definitely before the second).
Only if you were way behind on the movies. The first three movies were out before the book where Dumbledore dies was released.
Tell me I'm not nerdy enough to belong
Rosincrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #27
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
It's TOTALLY consistent with his narcissistic behavior....
Oh, I get that he might not anticipate spoiling Leonard's reading of the book, but I still find it surprising that he would not at least acknowledge his faux pas.

His apology might not be deep, but he should understand how someone might feel --- since it is a feeling he himself would have were roles reversed.

Empathy in unfamiliar situations is foreign to Sheldon, I grant. But this situation he can clearly identify with.
MikeCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #28
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Loved it, but even my wife said there is no way Leonard would be behind on Walking Dead! lol

I can totally believe that. The show just isn't that good to have the need to keep up with as it airs. Lori dying was just last season, so I could totally believe they're just catching up with it now.

I'm actually surprised they reveled a real spoiler on an actual, current TV program. Maybe there's a behind-the-scenes feud between Chuck Lorre and TWD staff?

OTOH, the HP spoilers are now several years old.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #29
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
I agree with your observation, but I have learned to live with these inconsistencies in sitcoms. The characters are malleable. This is not the first time they have done this. I get over by realizing it is all for entertainment value. YMMV.
No fair using common sense in a BBT thread!!
You have to take a wackadoodle side and defend it to the death
Old 02-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #30
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercat74 View Post
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
We don't care.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is online now   Reply With Quote